Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

A lot of the traffic is caused by the fact that the bypass is a toll road. This has the effect of causing people to drive along the Quay and out the Dunmore Rd rather than pay and use the easier route.

The toll eliminates the reduction in traffic that the bypass should provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

wendydoll wrote: »
    Where is the traffic meant to go if they can't drive up Summer Hill?

Straight on, left onto O'Connell St, left again and then left onto the Quay, then straight out Bilberry.

Traffic for minor right turns is often forced to go around the block in cities all over the world. Can't remember where I saw it, was it Pittsburgh or Melbourne, but they basically have no turns across traffic, you just have to do three lefts if you want to do a right (or three rights to do a left because they drive on the opposite side in Pittsburgh).

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

7upfree wrote: »
    If anything there should be NO right turn to Bilberry. if there is, traffic should not be allowed up Summer Hill. Again another example of traffic "management" in Waterford City.
    fricatus wrote: »
    Straight on, left onto O'Connell St, left again and then left onto the Quay, then straight out Bilberry.

Traffic for minor right turns is often forced to go around the block in cities all over the world. Can't remember where I saw it, was it Pittsburgh or Melbourne, but they basically have no turns across traffic, you just have to do three lefts if you want to do a right (or three rights to do a left because they drive on the opposite side in Pittsburgh).

I may be confused but I thought 7upfree meant if there "was/is" a right turn/filter lane onto bilberry cars would not be allow to continue up Summer Hill. Which would make very little sense to anyone going to schools/ hypercentre or that general area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

That right turn at Bilberry is a complete disaster........I'm regularly stuck on the bridge through multiple light changes with one person sitting there blocking everybody else.

That right turn at Bilberry is a complete disaster........I'm regularly stuck on the bridge through multiple light changes with one person sitting there blocking everybody else.

Or you're behind the person turning into Bilberry, they make the turn, you start to cross the junction and you have some fool bombing up the wrong lane who then tries to cut back in /bully in their way into the correct lane and up Summer Hill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah - anything is better than the current set up there. Absolute disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

A fairly simple solution to the problems people not using the bypass cause of the toll - move the toll. Move it to the start of the motorway to Dublin, that way the bypass can free the city of traffic and revenue for the toll will actually increase. Everyones happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wendydoll wrote: »
    Where is the traffic meant to go if they can't drive up Summer Hill?

It would be silly to suggest people turn out bilberry and back down gracedieu or up bridge street and across the glen and out by the Philip street to bring kids to school etc

There is an insane suggestion that we divert traffic out Bilberry. Around a hairpin bend. Through populated areas which have only in recent years seen a HGV ban.

If you enforce a right turn it will cause a tailback across the bridge (of traffic waiting to use Summer Hill).

If anything, traffic should only be allowed DOWN Bilberry - with it being made one way only.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nujeebaby

ei9go wrote: »
    A lot of the traffic is caused by the fact that the bypass is a toll road. This has the effect of causing people to drive along the Quay and out the Dunmore Rd rather than pay and use the easier route.

If you're heading towards the Dunmore road from where the bypass starts the shortest way is straight through the city centre and is 7km, taking the bypass doubles that and the toll is added to the cost.

nujeebaby wrote: »
    If you're heading towards the Dunmore road from where the bypass starts the shortest way is straight through the city centre and is 7km, taking the bypass doubles that and the toll is added to the cost.

But you don't get caught on the Quay. Which is what they're banking on. The bypass is in the wrong place for city users really.

• Advertisement

There is an insane suggestion that we divert traffic out Bilberry. Around a hairpin bend

I didn't hear about this, diverting traffic out Bilberry :eek: what bright spark thought this is an excellent idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

fricatus wrote: »
    So either you wait in a big queue like a sheep (baaaa!) or else you barrel down the outside and force your way in. Not ideal either way.

The way to fix this is simple, and they use it in the States all the time. A few signs saying "Use Both Lanes" leading up to the works, and then one at the start of the works saying "Merge In Turn".

I'd excuse someone passing through who was not wise to the situation on the Quay. But those who know well, and still hammer along to force their way in are just arrogant:mad:. A car with a trailer rammed it's way in front of me, at the new roundabout a few weeks back. He didn't care, he wasn't stopping, even though he could see I was clearly not preparing to let him in. Ignorance! If I'm feeling helpful , my policy is to let one and only one, merge in front of me. It's the good samaritans, partly causing the hold up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

O Riain wrote: »
    A fairly simple solution to the problems people not using the bypass cause of the toll - move the toll. Move it to the start of the motorway to Dublin, that way the bypass can free the city of traffic and revenue for the toll will actually increase. Everyones happy

not a bad idea but probably unworkable, toll co. dont own motorway, half of south KK would drive thru Kilamcow/old road daily etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Max Powers wrote: »
    not a bad idea but probably unworkable, toll co. dont own motorway, half of south KK would drive thru Kilamcow/old road daily etc

Furthermore, the toll isn't on the motorway.

It's on the N25 Waterford bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

I live just off a main road and there is a private avenue to our front gate, there is also a second house on the avenue and access to a field which is owned by a farmer although he does not use it. We have been paying around €550 per year insurance on the avenue for past 5 years between us. The avenue is owned by a management company which is made up of myself, the farmer and my next door neighbour. The chances of an accident are minimal however you never know. We were wondering if we put up a sign at end of avenue that it is a private lane or that trespassers enter at own risk would it give us any protection? It is owned by a ltd company which should mean we can not be sued by an opportunist or even if there was a genuine accident. Obviously our big fear is that the wrong person could sue us personally??

Has anyone had a similar situation to this ??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

siralan wrote: »
    I live just off a main road and there is a private avenue to our front gate, there is also a second house on the avenue and access to a field which is owned by a farmer although he does not use it. We have been paying around €550 per year insurance on the avenue for past 5 years between us. The avenue is owned by a management company which is made up of myself, the farmer and my next door neighbour. The chances of an accident are minimal however you never know. We were wondering if we put up a sign at end of avenue that it is a private lane or that trespassers enter at own risk would it give us any protection? It is owned by a ltd company which should mean we can not be sued by an opportunist or even if there was a genuine accident. Obviously our big fear is that the wrong person could sue us personally??

Has anyone had a similar situation to this ??

What has this to do with Waterford / The Quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree. What they need to do is to convert one of those to a free car park (strictly monitored and with penalties if you stay more than two hours). The worse thing that was ever done was to hand some of the car parks over to private companies.

Doesn't need top be free, if the car park at the bridge was 1 euro per hour id park there and shop in the city. it would reduce the amount of traffic travelling the lender of the quay to the bolten st car park.

I'd park in the Glen but I can't get to town with the buggy as thereare to many cars parked on the footpaths.God I'd hate to be a wheelchair user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

ei9go wrote: »

Tolling bypasses is completely illogical as far as I am concerned. The whole point of a bypass is to encourage traffic away from an existing route through an urban area therefore freeing it up for local traffic. In this country we have it backwards. Toll the bypasses and so encourage people to go through the towns.

I think you have a point, I havent used the toll since the tall ships! I never forgave them for charging me when I had to go to work!

To be honest, if the traffic is too heave I just go to New Ross!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

The Friday 19 July deadline for these works to be finished has passed - quelle surprise. Looks like a lot of work still has to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Gadgie wrote: »
    The Friday 19 July deadline for these works to be finished has passed - quelle surprise. Looks like a lot of work still has to be done.

They have kerbing complete in one of the 'islands' and they have done work on the roundabout. They were working at 10pm one evening down by the bridge.

Looking forward to the eventual finished product!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Sully wrote: »
    They have kerbing complete in one of the 'islands' and they have done work on the roundabout. They were working at 10pm one evening down by the bridge.

Me too, but I think they should be working on it until 10pm every night until it's finished! They've already been at it for six weeks, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's at least another six before it's finished.

To me it looks like the council built a lovely smoking section for the bridge hotel, I thought the were building a coach parking space that wouldn't block traffic on the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Gadgie wrote: »
    Me too, but I think they should be working on it until 10pm every night until it's finished! They've already been at it for six weeks, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's at least another six before it's finished.

I was just told they are now on builders holidays! the mind boggles when there's so little work out there for these guys you would think the last thing that they would need is more time off, although it was said to me that these are the standard/set construction union holidays!

I would have tought they would have tried to close this off in advance of the spraoi

Jambo wrote: »
    I was just told they are now on builders holidays! the mind boggles when there's so little work out there for these guys you would think the last thing that they would need is more time off, although it was said to me that these are the standard/set construction union holidays!

I would have tought they would have tried to close this off in advance of the spraoi

Ah your joking? Sure they only started a few weeks ago!

Oh yeah last week in July, first week in August, builders holidays. That's hilarious. app it looks like summer is not the best time to do road works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Oh yeah last week in July, first week in August, builders holidays. That's hilarious. app it looks like summer is not the best time to do road works.

im a firm supporter of these works, i think they will be great when done but surely not, they havent gone on builders holidays? the council need their head examined, all projects come with deadlines and penaltys these days. Silly council if not.

Sully wrote: »

Whenever that will be. Did the City Council ever hear of penalty clauses??

Max Powers wrote: »
    the council need their head examined
    These works are testament to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

These works are testament to that.

LCDs are most probably in place with the contractor and he has a timescale to finish the works. He would have factored in the summer holidays in or otherwise he will pay the penalty, they seem to be a competent crew with good gear, really don't know what all the fuss is about, traffic a little slow when there are volume issues but that is traffic for you.
    Eggs and omellettes.

Advertisement