Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new trafic mess on the Quay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

haven't seen it yet but the pic looks horrible..... stuck up high on 6 stilts,
    noooooooooo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I narrowly missed two idiots who were looking into the roadwork cages outside Fieldmaster when one of them just decided to walk out in front of me.

I had to slam on the brakes, only for it was wet and I was going slower than normal, I would be in the cop shop now. Idiots. There are no street lights in the middle of the street, if you are wearing dark clothes you are invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Thats just Darwinism in action, they're enough controlled crossings on the quays to cross safely , if their to stupid to use them tough.

Oh, i agree, but that won't help the people who end up mowing these idiots down. Regardless of the circumstances, if you knock someone down and they die, that'll be on your mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Saw this last night, well its Tiny...and stuck up on stilts, a roundabout is no place for this, it will only add to drivers distractions especially visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭eagerv

I like it, not sure about the stilts though..

• Advertisement

Yeah, its just the stilts that look odd, but I hear they are not part of the original design, goes well with our 'drunk cherry picker' at the brewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I narrowly missed two idiots who were looking into the roadwork cages outside Fieldmaster when one of them just decided to walk out in front of me.

I had to slam on the brakes, only for it was wet and I was going slower than normal, I would be in the cop shop now. Idiots. There are no street lights in the middle of the street, if you are wearing dark clothes you are invisible.

The problem is that it's a building site. In the middle of a tourist season. I believe someone mentioned Darwinism earlier.:rolleyes: On a related note, lads were stringing up lights on the Mall yesterday. No cones, no hi-vis, no traffic management. Outside the City Council offices.........I don't think they were City Council employees to be fair.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7upfree wrote: »
    The problem is that it's a building site. In the middle of a tourist season. I believe someone mentioned Darwinism earlier.:rolleyes: On a related note, lads were stringing up lights on the Mall yesterday. No cones, no hi-vis, no traffic management. Outside the City Council offices.........I don't think they were City Council employees to be fair.

Spraoi festival workers, saw them myself. Would have thought hi visit jackets were a basic requirement

Sully wrote: »
    Spraoi festival workers, saw them myself. Would have thought hi visit jackets were a basic requirement

I thought that alright. I think nowadays you even need some kind of training course to operate those lifts - or an operator must be provided. Kinda nuts given the emphasis on H&S nowadays.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »

Long overdue and to be welcomed. But there is already a tonnage limit in place in most of Waterford City. They need to make our bypass affordable to motorists. If a motors was to use it just twice a day, five days a week it would add €1,000 to their yearly motoring costs. Absolutely ridiculous.

They need to introduce a low cost, frequent use tariff. Now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Long overdue and to be welcomed. But there is already a tonnage limit in place in most of Waterford City. They need to make our bypass affordable to motorists. If a motors was to use it just twice a day, five days a week it would add €1,000 to their yearly motoring costs. Absolutely ridiculous.

They need to introduce a low cost, frequent use tariff. Now.

Its the same price as most tolls in the country, isn't it? Besides, they raised the price because the lower price wasn't covering the costs so I can't see them introducing a lower fee anytime soon.

Its the same price as most tolls in the country, isn't it? Besides, they raised the price because the lower price wasn't covering the costs so I can't see them introducing a lower fee anytime soon.

I know that. But it isn't working. The number of vehicles using Rice Bridge is outnumbering the bypass by 3 to 1 (I think). Something has to be done. It will require some radical thinking.

I know that. But it isn't working. The number of vehicles using Rice Bridge is outnumbering the bypass by 3 to 1 (I think). Something has to be done. It will require some radical thinking.

People are probably too lazy. Not sure its the cost tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Too lazy?

No the reason is cost , if you want to get to the M9 from the Hospital , it will cost you an extra €5 on tolls and fuel.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Too lazy?

No the reason is cost , if you want to get to the M9 from the Hospital , it will cost you an extra €5 on tolls and fuel.

Its the same fare throughout the country though, for tolls. I suspect some people just feel that there closer to the city route than heading all the way
    out the ORR to connect to the bypass.

Its part of the reason but I don't think its the only reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What?
    Too lazy to do something that is easier?
    It's obviously cost. The cost vs benefit is not worth it.

From the south Kilkenny side, there's a lot of bad feeling towards the till after the tall ships. Remember it was supposed to be free and then we had to pay.

Its only from waking around town yesterday that I realised how much roadworks there is around the city, I saw more'use other footpath signs'than sproi signs.

But it will be great when its done.....hopfully by winterville!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

They are making some balls of bridge st onto the quay

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Hoffmans wrote: »
    They are making some balls of bridge st onto the quay

I was wondering why the traffic was backed up all the way up Military road to the lights at the Marion the last two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

The works for the green route on the quay has to be finished by November otherwise the company will encour big penalties.

Nypd wrote: »
    The works for the green route on the quay has to be finished by November otherwise the company will encour big penalties.

NOVEMBER??!! To lay kerbs and put up trees?? I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

NOVEMBER??!! To lay kerbs and put up trees?? I give up.

its not quite that easy is it:
    reinforcement foundation for kerbs
    Electrical ducts for lighting
    road crossings
    all taking place in a live traffic zone with heavy traffic surrounding site.

Agree though, November seems too long, i wonder does that date include roundabout and works from clock tower to gladstone st? somehow, i doubt it.

Max Powers wrote: »
    its not quite that easy is it:
    reinforcement foundation for kerbs
    Electrical ducts for lighting
    road crossings
    all taking place in a live traffic zone with heavy traffic surrounding site.

Agree though, November seems too long, i wonder does that date include roundabout and works from clock tower to gladstone st? somehow, i doubt it.

It's ludicrous Max. Am I correct in stating that the work commenced around March? I saw a guY take out an entire front garden recently and lay a cobblelock drive - in three days.

Apparently this is only for the stretch as far as the Clock Tower. No money for the remained apparently.

It defies belief really.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's ludicrous Max. Am I correct in stating that the work commenced around March? I saw a guY take out an entire front garden recently and lay a cobblelock drive - in three days.

Didn't think a person laying cobble in his garden would need to put in proper kerbs, ducts for lighting, ducts for other utils, any utility covers, proper road crossings etc. Ensure tarmac to the kerb is suitable for heavy road traffic (not just a driveway)

Must be some garden if he had to install all of those, on the level required on a main street.

Bit of a joke to compare such a small residential job to work on the quays and the requirements for the job on the quays to meet certain standards.

In saying that the job itself does "appear" to be taking a long time but its still unfair to make such a silly comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Nypd wrote: »

It's some mess , hate going through the town now. I avoid it now as much as I can .

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

LottieP25 wrote: »
    It's some mess , hate going through the town now. I avoid it now as much as I can .

It really is a mess I agree but I think it will be worth the pain, if the WCC can push out the quality of works done on the Mall to the surrounding areas the city will look amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's better if they do a thorough job and do it well even if it takes longer than a rushed job.

Wasn't there a problem on the N25 out near Kilmacthomas with the French crowd doing a bad job and it had to be redone or am I thinking of somewhere else?

What are the odds that once it's done one of the utilities will come along and dig up the road which seems the norm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

it will be ready for christmas so.
    it will look lovely for winterval with all the lights, perhaps they might put a big christmas tree in the middle somewhere near the clock

• Advertisement

Dave_Power wrote: »
    it will be ready for christmas so.
    it will look lovely for winterval with all the lights, perhaps they might put a big christmas tree in the middle somewhere near the clock

That would be pretty cool.

Advertisement