Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Godge wrote: »
    Very poor judgment from Councillor McGuinness.

The guy was convicted on drug offences in 2007, caught in possession again in 2014, working with youths in the interim, not good at all.

chucknorris is not Councillor McGuinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Godge wrote: »
    Very poor judgment from Councillor McGuinness.

The guy was convicted on drug offenses in 2007, caught in possession again in 2014, working with youths in the interim, not good at all.

It's true, I'm not the councillor and one major assumption you make is that all of what was reported in the paper after the court appearance was known before a reference was given for a PSV application. IT WASN'T. It was only known as a result of the subsequent article by all concerned.

Don't forget, the spirit of a reference and the use of it is meant with the best intention for working purposes.

As far as I see it, a councillor tried to help someone in the constituency in gaining employment and did so in good faith. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

January wrote: »
    chucknorris is not Councillor McGuinness.

I never said he was.
    It's true, I'm not the councillor and one major assumption you make is that all of what was reported in the paper after the court appearance was known before a reference was given for a PSV application. IT WASN'T. It was only known as a result of the subsequent article by all concerned.

Don't forget, the spirit of a reference and the use of it is meant with the best intention for working purposes.

As far as I see it, a councillor tried to help someone in the constituency in gaining employment and did so in good faith. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Councillors looking for Dail seats hand out references for anybody and everybody, have seen it countless times when recruiting staff for companies. That is what they do, not surprised to see one caught out, hopefully he will learn and be more discerning in future.

Never pay a bit of attention to a councillors reference and it sometimes sets me wondering why the applicant couldn't get a reference off someone else. Unfotunately, not all people who work in recruitment are so careful.

Finally, if the job was for working with teenagers, would you be happy that a recently convicted drug abuser was working with them?
    Or if the conviction was for sexual assault, and they ended up driving a taxi?

The Councillor needs to be more careful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

"a gang of black teenagers" Whats that got to do with what theyre doing. pure rascist comment.

I can't say what I want so very very very very very very very very badly to say.

Sorry if that scars you btw.

If someone, not you of course, was trolling then that person may have earned 1 troll point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK guys enough with the off-topic nonsense. If you've nothing useful to say, say nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just to get back on topic, I have heard there are some guys going around the estates in D15 in the evening from an alarm company selling monitored alarm products. One of my neighbours was concerned - as they were asking to come into the house and check her alarm panel, to see if it was compatible with their equipment.

Now, in this case it turns out that the guys are legitimate and there was nothing to fear (aside from maybe a bit of aggressive salesmanship:cool:), however please be aware if somebody turns up on your doorstep asking to come into your home and see your alarm panel I would be very wary about letting them (or anyone selling door to door) into your house.

Another incident in Littlepace today, a lady was mugged on her own doorstep this time at 6pm in the evening. The assailants punched her in the face and stole her handbag before running off. I won't describe the assumed ethnic background or skin tone of the assailants lest I offend. Be careful out there and report everything to the guards, no matter how trivial it may seem.

Arciphel wrote: »
    Another incident in Littlepace today, a lady was mugged on her own doorstep this time at 6pm in the evening. The assailants punched her in the face and stole her handbag before running off. I won't describe the assumed ethnic background or skin tone of the assailants lest I offend. Be careful out there and report everything to the guards, no matter how trivial it may seem.

A mate if mine lives a few doors down from her. Its the same lads from the gap and precisely the same lads who have been robbing delivery men of their food orders. Categorically.

PM sent Chuck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How many are in this 'gang' approximately?

• Advertisement

Well the incidents in our estate it seems to be 2-3 youths at a time, but in one case I heard there was a much larger group of up to 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

It was a few days ago now, Saturday I think. About 11pm I was making a bowl of cereal (I live an exciting life) and there was a knock at the door. I thought this was a bit strange, so as I was walking towards the door I looked out the glass beside the door, we have a security light so there was light outside. It's not proper glass but you can make out quite a bit looking through it. It was a young male, I'd say late teens early 20's at a push. As soon as he saw me he said "sorry mate, wrong house". I went back inside and continued pouring the milk and it occurred to me that maybe I should have a look to see where he was going. I went upstairs and went into the spare room and looked out the window, could't see any sign of him. I talked to neighbours both sides and no one had any visitors that night. Seemed quite suspicious to me.

Edit: Live in Briarwood.

There was an attempted car jacking at 8am this morning in Barnwell just off the Ongar Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭jelenka

Today we had 2 lads walking around our estate around 3pm knocking on doors looking for "polish people" . Asked my husband if he is polish , when told he is not , they asked if any polish people live in the area . Told them that even if he knew he wouldn't say, unless they were garda , they walked away really fast then .This was in Collegefort/Collegewood estate in Castleknock .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

jelenka wrote: »
    Today we had 2 lads walking around our estate around 3pm knocking on doors looking for "polish people" . Asked my husband if he is polish , when told he is not , they asked if any polish people live in the area . Told them that even if he knew he wouldn't say, unless they were garda , they walked away really fast then .This was in Collegefort/Collegewood estate in Castleknock .
    Over a year ago 2 women called to the door (Riverwood, Carpenterstown) asking the same question. It wasn't the first time either. I should have reported them, or at least give that good response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

= give that good response.
    Polish people? Yeah there's loads around here, there was a huge party on the green/a few doors up the road there for one of their 30th's last weekend. Drinking all day and most the night, plenty of digging matches and a few knives produced to calm it down. Have it all on the camera above the window there watching us now, gimme your email and I'll upload it on dropbox if ya wanna have a look at it.

Good mates with a couple of them that are working up in Kepak, pure sound lads, savage craic and mad as scones, but if you need a man who knows how to slice a carcass into decent cuts, call back and I'll hook ya up if I get a few decent cuts out of it.

Wait... no, why are you running?? I thought we were freieeeeeends!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

@Trademark - I've no idea what you're banging on about there, but this is not a general chat thread, try to keep on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Ours & neighbour's green wheelie bins got stolen last weekend. We used to keep them bins outside the house for last 4 years. The other black & brown bins were untouched. Tyrrelstown, D15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

@Gaspode I'm inferring if there's people knocking on doors in a locality where there's a general uneasiness about non-local's/non-familiars from the estate/road/area, coupled with the recent spate of burglaries which seem to be quite frequent in Dublin 15 and the general crime talk in the D15 area, this thread being 100+ pages long as an example, then I think if a randomer or couple of randomers knock on someones door, it wouldn't hurt for the door answerer to have a little spiel so to speak, to make the inquirer believe that the area was either safe to the householder due to friendships with locals, or dangerous to outsiders due to similar kinships with local folk, such as the kinship between a zebra mating with a donkey resulting in a zonkey.

@Gaspode remove the parts after the last comma if you wish, I was just seeing could I get the whole alphabet in 1 long sentence. Seriously, google a zonkey, the zebra/donkey hybrid, cutest thing ever! Then google a shaved bear, scariest thing ever. Now this paragraph is gone off-thread, above one isn't. But you're still dying to know what a shaved bear looks like! :pac:

Enough rubbish already, it's not needed or wanted here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

Travellers doing the rounds today in Laurel lodge roads for "sponsored walk". Seems like a couple of kids, each one takes a different side of a road. One I spoke to seemed a bit hazy as to what school they were supposed to collecting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Had them twice around the area St Margaret's Navan , doesn't exist.
    Mother follows behind in a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

"Disgraceful hearing about what happened in Hartstown yesterday afternoon. Witnessed by a number of 12 year olds and many others. One car rammed off the road by another full of men who, in broad daylight, assaulted the driver and smashed his car. Witnesses say an infant child was in the car at the time. This is totally unacceptable and community condemns this. Blanchardstown Garda Station 01-6667000 for witnesses to come forward".

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153077141384399&set=a.10150208620984399.330879.591204398&type=1&theater

http://www.herald.ie/news/dads-scalp-almost-torn-off-in-front-of-daughter-by-thugs-30974891.html

Based on the description and pattern, it seems the same crew who attacked a lady in Pheasants run, also attacked a young man near the Blanch centre last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

When was the attack in Pheasants run please?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭DaithiMa

Be careful if you are considering parking on the old entrance road into Blanchardstown Hospital (the road from the village down from The Vineyard Pub) I walk my dog down that way fairly frequently, and on a few evenings (maybe 4 or 5 over the last 6 months) there have been cars with their windows smashed in.
    It has usually been cars parked near the Tolka Bridge (after the flyover). Id say they smash, grab and then leg it into the woods/valley. Haven't seen any in the last month or so, but am only after discovering this thread so thought i'd let people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Loads of car windows smashed in Allendale last night,little scumbags wrecked a few cars,

They were in my garden ready to go and one of them noticed the CCTV system and ran..

Gards say they have a que of people ringing from all over the area..

Sorry to hear that Kev... can you give us any description of the guys doing this? PM me if you don't want to post it on here ;) cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Kev. wrote: »
    Loads of car windows smashed in Allendale last night,little scumbags wrecked a few cars,

They were in my garden ready to go and one of them noticed the CCTV system and ran..

Gards say they have a que of people ringing from all over the area..
    Anything stolen or just mindless vandalism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Arciphel wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Kev... can you give us any description of the guys doing this? PM me if you don't want to post it on here ;) cheers.

From the CCTV there was 2 lads,about 20 odd,Caps and scarves on both.Tracksuits on both.

Funny thing is although they were smashing up cars in the estate they came straight up to my front door,I can clearly see them going straight past my neighbors house and into mine.Maybe looking to get keys

I have my dog in the hall so I recon she started barking or maybe they noticed the CCTV,but whatever it was they sprinted out and jump over the bushes.

My wife rang the police and they are coming later to have a look.TBH you cant see their faces because of the caps.

Advertisement