Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The situation is becoming farcical and to tell the truth if i were on the outside looking in, i would see it as an exaggeration or pure lies. But unfortunately this is happening, it seems to be happening all over Dublin at the moment. One of my neighbors moved in 6 months ago. She has been broken into twice. Second time was on Saturday. That was our first breakin since July. After we started up a neighborhood text alert using a program called Telegram.

I will give you an example of another area next to dublin 15 that has started to have problems .... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cabra-Neighbourhood-Watch/734236253258055

This is next to Dublin 15 and there is a huge rise in break-ins with very similar circumstances. Based on the number of reports. I know this as i have family there too.

I have been speaking with members of the security forum some of which have actually come out and met with residents to give Advice. (Thankyou Altor and Stoner for that)

Next to D15? So not actually in D15 at all then? :confused:

As a poster mentioned earlier, watch out for the scam artists around the D15 petrol stations/local shops. Last weekend I encountered a couple at the Topaz in Coolmine, guy said he was from Rathdrum and needed cash to buy petrol to get home to Wicklow. They were driving a dark blueish Ford Fiesta, old shape. His accent didn't match up so I said no.
    5min later I drove down to Spar on the Clonsilla road to pick up something, the female of the couple approached my car and asked me for some money for petrol, only this time they wanted to get to Mayo. She was blondish, medium build, wore a big overcoat, country accent. Both the male and the female asked me if I was a 'local'.

If it's in a Neighbourhood Watch thread surely the location is the only thing of consequence?

Well i have submitted to this thread due to the fact that there were alot of things happening in Dublin 15 and no communication between residents. Outside of boards.ie i have i have been pro-active in the Dublin 15 regards to meeting with TD's the media other residents of Dublin 15 to discuss whats going on. Simply because knowledge is power and getting the word out, informing people about what is going on and what to look out for, basically what the Neighborhood Watch thread is all about. But instead i received abuse from keyboard warriors who dont even contribute anything to this particular forum ! ! So where ever you are in Dublin 15 be safe and i wish you a merry Christmas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

why bother posting a story like that and not give the location. Dublin 15 is a huge area. all it does is worry people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

But instead i received abuse from keyboard warriors who dont even contribute anything to this particular forum ! !

Maybe because you're associating areas with incidences which are nowhere near where the incident occurred. If you're so confident that you're doing good, well name the places these things happen in instead of worrying that you'll upset your neighbour over their house price. You've no problem tarnishing other areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I dunno why your attacking the messenger here.

I've never heard so many burglary stories, and they are from all over D.15, Dublin and nationwide.

• Advertisement

Because he named everywhere but where it happened.

How is that a problem. If your area is being targeted you'd hear about it from your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

beauf wrote: »
    How is that a problem. If your area is being targeted you'd hear about it from your neighbours.

If the point of the thread is to warn people then surely the logical thing is to name the area. Others do. I live in a big estate, I don't know all my neighbours. Things can happen here and I would never know.

I don't think its for vilifying specific estates anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

just to give people the heads up that there's an emerging gang of little scumbags on the road between the hospital and Snugborough road there.

Often teenagers hanging around there never any problems. However tonight my friend was walking along and a gang of them nearby. They came by her and one grabbed her bag. She said he had definitely done it before. She gave chase and the little cowardly scumbag dropped it. She called the guards who said they were aware and would send somebody up. But didn't take her number or arrange further contact. She has told me they were no older than 15.

Just giving people the heads up because many many women return home from work along that road in the evening or in this case are going for a night out and it might be a right little nesting ground for them to do this with the park close by.
    Hopefully a stop is put to it soon. I'm genuinely worried for her having to go that road always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

If posters are not going to give credible warnings specific enough so people can take action then what's the point? There's a fair bit of innuendo, elaborate and barely believable posting from some quarters.

In addition if people think the Gardai are wilfully negligent then go to GSOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved to Dublin 15 forum from Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

As far as I know Dublin 15 has more people than 2nd largest city in Ireland, so it does make perfect sense to specify the area of break-in or any other anti social behavior.

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    As far as I know Dublin 15 has more people than 2nd largest city in Ireland, so it does make perfect sense to specify the area of break-in or any other anti social behavior.

Good job they don't use cars or they could move anywhere. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

beauf wrote: »
    Good job they don't use cars or they could move anywhere. ;)
    Well apparently they don't have cars or they might leave the mystery estate that we are obliged to guess the location of.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

It's obvious from these repeated break ins that the people responsible are not just chancing their arm, but are watching carefully and choosing specifically. Be vigilant.

They definitely aren't chancing their arm. I heard the alarm going off on the Wednesday before the break in, so they were obviously sussing the place out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They seem to be checking out empty/quiet looking houses and checking to see if alarms are working. If there's lights on them etc. I think our alarm was checked one night. A lot of standard doors and windows are easily forced. Worthwhile getting extra bolts and locks on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There's too many posts discussing where a particular estate is. The poster concerned is not keen on revealing it so just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Praetorian22

Also just a point.

I spotted the same blonde woman at Discount Fuels Clonsilla last friday evening parked with a man in a blue Audi A4 at the back of the garage. I pulled up beside them when running into the shop so got a good look at her.

Exact same woman who approached me and told me the "I need €20 for petrol" spiel!

So it seems they park up, get a good look at the garage customers and then approach you after making their choice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Has anyone told the staff in the garage about it, or the guards? They may have CCTV. Although I suppose scamming €20 off a few people isn't going to be top of their to do list.

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    There's too many posts discussing where a particular estate is. The poster concerned is not keen on revealing it so just let it go.

Which is fine, but they didn't have to name other estates that aren't related to the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Praetorian22

I'll say it to the guys in there if I spot them again, or ring them myself although I'm unsure if there could be something done?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'll say it to the guys in there if I spot them again, or ring them myself although I'm unsure if there could be something done?

Sometimes places will put up CCTV photos of people known for stealing or whatever. Not sure of the legality of that but I've seen it done. At worst it would warn customers or maybe scare the people doing it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sometimes places will put up CCTV photos of people known for stealing or whatever. Not sure of the legality of that but I've seen it done. At worst it would warn customers or maybe scare the people doing it off.

Prejudicial to prosecution, they'd get off Scott free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Has anyone told the staff in the garage about it, or the guards? They may have CCTV. Although I suppose scamming €20 off a few people isn't going to be top of their to do list.

It's easier to write on a forum than do the correct thing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

They could insist that they leave the premises - it's a private place so anyone can be asked to leave.

If the Gardai have the reg they can keep an eye out for them. Give the car the once or twice over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Anyone recommend a locksmith that wont charge an arm & a leg to change two barrels in a set of patio doors? Looking to get the existing euro barrels replaced with anti snap ones (2 in total). Anyone get any changed recently?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

DvB wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a locksmith that wont charge an arm & a leg to change two barrels in a set of patio doors? Looking to get the existing euro barrels replaced with anti snap ones (2 in total). Anyone get any changed recently?

Yep, Mulhuddart locksmiths in Mulhuddart village. A personal friend of mine and reasonable. tell him chuck Norris sent you, or DM me for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

PucaMama wrote: »
    10336742_932751353420396_3058414891385814299_n.jpg?oh=a373c9ac029a55007183c7962c5f029b&oe=54B24B35

Last night around 2 someone opened our side gate and let our dogs out. We got 2 back but are still missing 1. If anyone in the Briarwood/huntstown area or near it who sees a small jack russell running around please let me no.

Dodger has escaped again after we found the side gate open at 11am. This gate had been closed with a brick left behind it. If anyone sees him please let us know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

DvB wrote: »

Changed them myself, takes a couple of minutes, very simple, bought them on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avocet-High-Security-Euro-Cylinder/dp/B00KS3WJD0/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1418302320&sr=1-1&keywords=abs+locks

These are one of the best.

Advertisement