Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

January wrote: »
    My mam was in Tyrellstown today, she parked around the back of the dry cleaners and before she got out of the car heard a bang. She got out of the car and there was a dent on her boot, and a lump of breeze block beside it. Turns out some kids had thrown it from the balcony above. Could have killed her. She found the mother and let her know but something to be aware of.

The 'mother' my foot. Your Mam should go to Blanch station and make a complaint about the act and the damage. Not phone, go in person.

Little d1ckheads like that dont do something like that because 'they dont know any better'. Need to have their ideas bucked up early in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The 'mother' my foot. Your Mam should go to Blanch station and make a complaint about the act and the damage. Not phone, go in person.

Little d1ckheads like that dont do something like that because 'they dont know any better'. Need to have their ideas bucked up early in life.

This is the only course of action, clearly the "mother" is incapable of parenting and the guards should be contacted to hopefully correct the behaviour of this child.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Jesus January, your poor mum. I wouldn't let that go. The damage to the car is one thing but if it had hit her it could have been catastrophic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

eviltwin wrote: »
    Jesus January, your poor mum. I wouldn't let that go. The damage to the car is one thing but if it had hit her it could have been catastrophic.

+1

Probably a few hundred worth of damage. If they do it again they could kill someone.

Even good kids occasionally do something moronic. But you'd expect the parent would insist on paying for the damage if they had any
    ... Can't think of the word....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

beauf wrote: »
    Even good kids occasionally do something moronic.

Yeah but good kids don't droip breeze blocks from balconies....
    But you'd expect the parent would insist on paying for the damage if they had any

Parental Responsibility? (ok, that's two)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

What would happen if you threw the breeze block back where it came from? Would the other lady let it go?

I wouldn't be paying for the damage to my car - they would.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

+1

Probably a few hundred worth of damage. If they do it again they could kill someone.

Even good kids occasionally do something moronic. But you'd expect the parent would insist on paying for the damage if they had any

Decency?
    Shame?
    Sense of responsibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would suggest people ensure they have all their doors secured for uprated, snap locks, window pane removal, bolts on doors top and bottom, so they can't be levered, ditto windows. Movement PIR in front and back downstairs. Keys upstairs. Locks on bikes even if in a shed. Sheds securely locked. Bolts and locks on shed secured through the frame of the structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Did she press charges?

She can't press charges. She can go to the gardai about it though, but if they decide to proceed is debatable as they'll claim their minors and there's not a lot they can do about it.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    She can't press charges. She can go to the gardai about it though, but if they decide to proceed is debatable as they'll claim their minors and there's not a lot they can do about it.

Criminal damage is criminal damage. The Guards should be abe to charge the parents if the children are underage. They might start putting some manners on them then.

• Advertisement

I would suggest people ensure they have all their doors secured for uprated, snap locks, window pane removal, bolts on doors top and bottom, so they can't be levered, ditto windows. Movement PIR in front and back downstairs. Keys upstairs.

All good advice. Considering removing and glueing my window panes this weekend - I have a PIR now activated in the kitchen which will at least activate if they enter through the window. Hall door closed and locked as well.
    Locks on bikes even if in a shed. Sheds securely locked. Bolts and locks on shed secured through the frame of the structure.

The local Castleknock Cycling Club sent around an email this morning and have noted bikes going missing from sheds over the last few weeks - Riverwood / Luttrellstown area I suspect (don't have specifics).

Don't bother with a cable locks for bikes - spend money on a decent hardened steel lock if your bike is anyway valuable. Lock it some something immobile (ladder, lawn mover etc) or even better fit a ground anchor to make it more difficult. Ensure it's locked as awkward as possible to prevent leverage for a bolt cutter removing the lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Sorry only getting back to this now, just getting the full story off my mam this morning (my sister had filled me in last night).

The kid that did it was only about 5 years old my mam said, she said that the mother threatened to beat the child if they lied over who did it (there were three children on the balcony at the time) and that kind of flustered my mother a bit. She didn't call the Garda but is going to pop down to them today just to have it reported. The mother made some reference to not being able to afford paying as she had no job but as I said to my mam, so what, she'll just have to figure a way to pay for the damage, I said even half would be something. The car is not brand new, new to her but it's a 2009 Prius and she's only had it about a month.

I doubt the kid will do it again but you never know and it's just something to be aware of if you're in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Sounds like a social worker should be paying them a visit too by the sounds of it.

Arciphel wrote: »
    Sounds like a social worker should be paying them a visit too by the sounds of it.

Exactly. Why threaten to beat a child when you've left a 5 year old playing on a balcony with a breeze block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

5 year olds do some pretty stupid things, and seek out anything to be mischievous with, even bricks. I doubt the kids were given a block of concrete to play with, most likely it was lying around used for something or another.

To look to have them charged with criminal damage or reported to social workers is a tad over the top imo. That's not to say that the lady shouldn't be compensated in some way.

5 year olds do some pretty stupid things, and seek out anything to be mischievous with, even bricks. I doubt the kids were given a block of concrete to play with, most likely it was lying around used for something or another.

To look to have them charged with criminal damage or reported to social workers is a tad over the top imo. That's not to say that the lady shouldn't be compensated in some way.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. It's not relevant to this thread anyway so I'll say no more.

I've got a five year old - funnily enough, they haven't been flinging concrete cinder blocks from balconies onto cars anytime recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

In what way is it over the top?..that lady could have been getting something from the boot of the car at the time and this would be a very different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Lidl Tyrellstown robbed tonight, reports of someone being hurt with an axe. From David McGuiness Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

January wrote: »
    Lidl Tyrellstown robbed tonight, reports of someone being hurt with an axe. From David McGuiness Facebook page

Again!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Heard through the grapevine of two nabbed in carpenterstown over the past couple of evenings while breaking into houses - guards had been called after one house alarm was set off and hiy spotted them in back garden, caught red handed leaving a neighbours house. One finglas, one Tallaght, both with previous convictions.

Wouldn't let the guard down though - the justice system can't deal with these scumbags, so chances are they'll be up to their scummy ways soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I know its a small thing... but its SO frustrating, some charmer of a neighbour has helped themselves to my bin tag today. Furious and disappointed as I live in a cul de sac with no through traffic, so it was most likely a neighbour took it in the short time I was on the school run. e8.35 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

KGLady wrote: »
    I know its a small thing... but its SO frustrating, some charmer of a neighbour has helped themselves to my bin tag today. Furious and disappointed as I live in a cul de sac with no through traffic, so it was most likely a neighbour took it in the short time I was on the school run. e8.35 :mad:

I feel your frustration. I lived in a house in town and my Neighbour kept topping up my bin before it got picked up. I got a €125 fine from the litter warden because the binmen refused to pick up the bin and it was left on the street while I was at work.
    It took weeks for me to catch the neighbour red handed . Next door was bedsits. They dumped their letters one day and I had proof it was them. Told my landlord to got onto their landlord to sort it out.
    Still it had me looking out the window for weeks trying to catch someone using my bin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Wonder if there is any connection with the incident in mount symon last week. Both girls around the same age. Terrible thing to happen. Poor girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The reference in the article to Mount Sycamore Green is an error, as there is no such place so we'll assume thats the Mount Symon incident.

I don't think theres much doubt the incidents are being linked, its too frequent and too proximate.

The description of the assailants as "scumbags" doesnt really cut it, this is much more sinister and potentially harmful than local scrotes out for kicks.

The descriptions being provided aren't detailed enough.

Was there anyone ever identified or prosecuted for the assault on the girl at the end of the Latchford / Ongar Park laneway that featured on Crimecall a couple of years back?

Personally I feel the people are scumbags who are engaged in it and my mates share the same view and wording.

ps: The article is a bit wrong on detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

sad thing is when caught they dont get time or very little and are back out again with better criminal / perverted skills

sad thing is when caught they dont get time or very little and are back out again with better criminal / perverted skills

Agreed. If these people received a guaranteed 10 year sentence, it may not change them, but it'll keep them from society for a very long time.

• Advertisement

Chuck, this news item as reported in the papers today is very concerning.
    However, according to the information I received this incident didn't happen as described, and is being blown out of proportion - that the girl in question was in fact the victim of a prank by other kids in her school/class.
    Her parents reported the matter to the school and the gardai and it was only later that it was realised that the girl in question knew the kids who had carried this out as some kind of ill-advised prank.
    I have contacted the community garda for confirmation as to what the details of this case are, so far as they can tell me.
    Did you get confirmation from the gardai as to the particulars of this case?

Advertisement