Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Doesnt sound like the same incident Finglas Incubus mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Exact same area.

Maybe the version Finglas Incubus heard was embellished a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

To me it doesn't really matter whether the incident was "real" or just a Facebook fad.

You take care of your kids. Fullstop.

If I found out a paedophile predator was living next door, my care of my child wouldn't change at all. Because I mind him already. He doesn't wander around unsupervised now, and that really won't change for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

To me it doesn't really matter whether the incident was "real" or just a Facebook fad.

Well it absolutely does matter if it's real or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

January wrote: »
    Maybe the version Finglas Incubus heard was embellished a bit.

I don't believe my neighbour (or the mother of the child) embellished the story but I note the news story reads one man and not two, otherwise the account was very similar. Either way, I felt it prudent to let folks know in the spirit of informing the community. I should mention that I live in the estate, all the more worrying to hear that an event such as this has occurred on your doorstep. Lets hope someone can identify the car in question with a view to the Gardai tracking this guy down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'm always sceptical on the source for such stories, a lot of the time it's rumours from Facebook and the like. Have the gardai commented?

Contrast this to the actual attempted abduction last week in which the gardai were out quickly with details and a description.

A lot of time its the only way to spread word around about issues in your locality. Dont kid yourself thinking the Gardai will comment on everything of public interest or concern in your locality. The Guards will only comment if they need information, feel that others are at serious risk or they have to because the majority of people already know and they feel they need to comment or correct things. There are so many incidents daily, many of which we would deem we should know about but the guards don't comment on. To be honest if the gardai were to tell you everything that happened in your locality, you wouldn't want to live there and if you had no choice you would kick up a stink as to why the guards aren't doing more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

What sort of daily incidents are you talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

sparky63 wrote: »
    The Guards will only comment if they need information, feel that others are at serious risk

All of which apply to the issue with the kids, and they did inform people.

You're jumping to a big conclusion if you draw from my post that I expect the gardai to inform people of every little issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

A message sent to my phone from Hartstown community school ...

"Following an incident in Hartstown during the week where two males in a dark coloured car approached one of our pupils, we are asking parents to talk to their children about their safety. The Garda are dealing with this matter."

So a student from Hartstown CS, not scoil Mhuire as reported in the link above. Or is it a different 'men in dark car' indicent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I dont know if its a different incident, I received the text around 11am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Dickwod1 thanks for sharing the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

two houses broken into in luttrelstown rise last night. they took out the whole window

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Jesus, where is all this going to end. this is the 4 incident in the last 2 weeks.Were the windows in question at the front or the back of the house? Im in luttrellstown myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

dibs101 wrote: »
    Jesus, where is all this going to end. this is the 4 incident in the last 2 weeks.Were the windows in question at the front or the back of the house? Im in luttrellstown myself.

The incident last week (in Riverwood) they removed the pane of glass in the rear window - easily done. Most of these windows just have shock sensors, so great if someone throws a brick but easily by passed if the pane is removed carefully.

The PIR sensor in the kitchen / rear room (if you have one) is usually deactivated if your alarm is in 'part guard'. So even with the alarm on, it's easy to break in. I've heard there's a guy through the Riverwood residents Assoc who sells enhanced security - which includes something to prevent the pane being removed.

I have the engineer's code for my alarm, so will be putting the PIR back on part guard when it's set. As well as locking the back / hall door, there's not much else you can do. I hope we don't get to the situation where people are having to put grilles / bars on their back windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Hi Pinch, do you know were the windows in question removed from the front or the back in the Luttrellstown incidents? The reason I'm asking is that I'm in Luttrellstown and I would like to know which windows this gang are specifically targetting so I can make provision for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    - which includes something to prevent the pane being removed.
    He fits these although easy to DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Hi Pinch, do you know were the windows in question removed from the front or the back in the Luttrellstown incidents? The reason I'm asking is that I'm in Luttrellstown and I would like to know which windows this gang are specifically targetting so I can make provision for it.

Back of the house (can only comment on most recent Riverwood incident - but sounds similar to Luttrellstown). Fletch has posted the deterrent - prevents the window pane being removed from the outside which is simple enough without these locks. Most alarms won't activate as it's a shock sensor - designed to activate for aggressive attack (i.e. brick thrown, crow bar etc).

As I said earlier, having your PIR's activated when on "partguard" (i.e. the setting you use going to bed) would mean at least the alarm is activated if someone enters using the method above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Or just use full set going to bed (accept that might not be easy if you had kids but most alarms don't have PIRs upstairs so just tell the kids not to go downstairs at night if they're too young to enter the code)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I know a few people who have added kitchen PIRs.

My point was they are targeting 'Externally Glazed' as per the comments above.

Houses/estates of a certain vintage all tend to have these.

@fightingirish - you are correct, promoting your own business in not permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Burglaries? Never.

All you can do is make sure your property is less attractive to crims than those around you.

I was wondering why the neighbour keeps parking their flash car in my drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Saw a woman in a red coat taking photos of houses in the briarwood area between 3 and 4 yesterday. Only saw her when I happened to look out the window. She took off up the street when I went to the door.

My mam was in Tyrellstown today, she parked around the back of the dry cleaners and before she got out of the car heard a bang. She got out of the car and there was a dent on her boot, and a lump of breeze block beside it. Turns out some kids had thrown it from the balcony above. Could have killed her. She found the mother and let her know but something to be aware of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

My mam was in Tyrellstown today, she parked around the back of the dry cleaners and before she got out of the car heard a bang. She got out of the car and there was a dent on her boot, and a lump of breeze block beside it. Turns out some kids had thrown it from the balcony above. Could have killed her. She found the mother and let her know but something to be aware of.

That's terrible. Your mam must have got an awful shock.

Shocked but OK. Raging her new car is dented though!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Shocked but OK. Raging her new car is dented though!!

Did she press charges? Get the parents to pay for the damage?

Advertisement