Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

This should be a simple crime to solve by the guards. View shop CCTV etc. What do they want the criminal to roll up to the station an admit guilt. Its not as if this pair won't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

This should be a simple crime to solve by the guards. View shop CCTV etc. What do they want the criminal to roll up to the station an admit guilt. Its not as if this pair won't do it again.

The problem is even if they arrested these two, they would be back out on the streets again tomorrow...the gardai are probably as frustrated with the system as we are...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Standard distraction theft.

No excuse for the Guards not to take it seriously though. My experiences with Blanchardstown Gardaí have been as equally lack-lustre, but thankfully not all are as disinterested.

True that but surely its good for the cops to know who's a thief and who's not. The next victim might not go away as lucky. They were brazen enough already.

Brazen is the word - he opened my passenger door while my engine was running and leaned inside so that his head was pretty much on top of the grearstick...I had two small kids in the back...big man!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

This has been reported happening in liffey valley and the Square car parks for the last year or so, they hit the shops with the cards very quick afterwards.

Sorry I know you had kids in the car but putting your handbag on the passenger seat, not locking the doors, how stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Brazen is the word - he opened my passenger door while my engine was running and leaned inside so that his head was pretty much on top of the grearstick...I had two small kids in the back...big man!!

Do you know if the card was used?

Do you know if the card was used?

No - I pulled the car in up the road, checked and rang the bank ASAP - got it cancelled within 12-15 mins of having had it stolen. Been checking online but so far so good.
    Kinda funny the way they didn't take the wallet - just the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No - I pulled the car in up the road, checked and rang the bank ASAP - got it cancelled within 12-15 mins of having had it stolen. Been checking online but so far so good.
    Kinda funny the way they didn't take the wallet - just the card.

Not really, they were hoping when you saw your wallet was there that you might think it was fine and not check the exact contents within, thereby giving them some time to use the individual card illegally. Not everyone might be as on the ball as you were.

Distraction crime like this are now rife because people are much more vigilant when they are using ATMs and tills etc and so are much harder for crims to rip off.

A friend of my mothers was a victim of something similar recently in another part of the City, she was approached by a small group of people feigning distress and with a map, asking a load of frantic questions, surrounding her and pretending to argue amongst themselves. Her purse went in that instance and she was very overwhelmed by it

Its difficult on anyone targeted in a place like a quiet carpark or street but the advice is if you even vaguely feel threatened or feel a situation could be a con, make a big fuss, whether with your voice or car horn or rev the engine etc. turn the tables on them and theyll head off very quickly. Of course the cowardice of it is that theyll target women with kids or isolated on their own, older people etc.

And dont feel like youre wasting your time reporting incidents to the Guards, even if nothing is actually taken. The Guards build up a pattern on these operators and eventually they hit them hard, just as they targeted the roaming burglary gangs earlier this year and made some big finds.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not really, they were hoping when you saw your wallet was there that you might think it was fine and not check the exact contents within, thereby giving them some time to use the individual card illegally. Not everyone might be as on the ball as you were.

Distraction crime like this are now rife because people are much more vigilant when they are using ATMs and tills etc and so are much harder for crims to rip off.

A friend of my mothers was a victim of something similar recently in another part of the City, she was approached by a small group of people feigning distress and with a map, asking a load of frantic questions, surrounding her and pretending to argue amongst themselves. Her purse went in that instance and she was very overwhelmed by it

Its difficult on anyone targeted in a place like a quiet carpark or street but the advice is if you even vaguely feel threatened or feel a situation could be a con, make a big fuss, whether with your voice or car horn or rev the engine etc. turn the tables on them and theyll head off very quickly. Of course the cowardice of it is that theyll target women with kids or isolated on their own, older people etc.

And dont feel like youre wasting your time reporting incidents to the Guards, even if nothing is actually taken. The Guards build up a pattern on these operators and eventually they hit them hard, just as they targeted the roaming burglary gangs earlier this year and made some big finds.

Hit them hard ? Nothing much happens to them people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm not trying to be smart here but are you sure you didn't just leave your card in Lidl? I don't doubt what they were trying to do to you but it seems amazing that they could open your purse and get the card out without you seeing them do it especially when you were wary of them straight away.

I'm not trying to be smart here but are you sure you didn't just leave your card in Lidl? I don't doubt what they were trying to do to you but it seems amazing that they could open your purse and get the card out without you seeing them do it especially when you were wary of them straight away.

No - I know I had my card with me - i remember the guy in LIDL saying "take your card" and I remember putting it in my wallet.
    Also I wasn't suspicious straight away...just a bit surprised when yer man opened the car door - but he smiled all the way through and was so in my face throughout, I wasn't suspicious until he threw the map on my bag - he had me focussed on his face the whole time while the woman stood behind him - I never really looked at her at all. When I grabbed my bag from under the map, my zip pocket was alreadyopen and my wallet fell onto the seat - she may well have had the wallet in her hands and flung it onto the seat when I removed my bag from under the map.

I am in no doubt that they took my laser card. I'm 100% certain. And I think they may have been behind me in Lidl a few minutes earlier when I was entering my PIN number on the machine. I was targeted out of several people in the car park that day. They knew exactly what they were looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I really worry about the level of garda we have for the whole D15 area, the call outs seem to take longer and longer.

http://www.dublinpeople.com/article.php?id=3019&l=100
    “I was on 999 and they could hear them hitting me, kicking me and pushing me and nobody came.”

The men eventually left the woman alone after she began screaming for help.

“They ran for their lives when I started screaming,” she said. “They’ve no respect for anybody. I’ll never go through that park again.”

The woman was eventually contacted by gardai when she got home and was told they’d come and take a statement. However later that night they called again and asked her if she could come down to the station herself as they’d only one patrol car for the area and couldn’t get to her.

“I’d just got the stuffing knocked out of me and they wanted me to go down to them and make a statement,” the woman said.

“I went down the following morning and made a statement.”

The woman said she’s since been contacted by a Garda inspector who apologised and promised to look into the matter.

Local TD Patrick Nulty (Ind) described the attack as “harrowing” and said he believes Garda resources in Dublin 15 are at crisis point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Just wanted to post a warning in relation to a scam that happened to me in Blanch shopping centre yesterday. I was in the Next car park having done some shopping, my two small kids were strapped in the back seat, my handbag was on the passengers seat and I was just about to reverse out of my parking space when all of a sudden, a man opened my passenger side door and started pointing to a map (of Dublin city centre) and babbling in a foreign language saying the same word over and over again like he was frantically trying to find somewhere. A woman stood behind him. I was a bit shocked at this guy having opened my passenger door but he looked desperate for help with directions so I tried to help by understanding what he was trying to say. He put the map down on top of my handbag and it dawned on me that my handbag could be swiped. I grabbed my bag and as I did, my wallet fell onto the passengers seat (It is always kept in a zipped pocke so it shouldn't have just fallen out. I took my bag and wallet onto my lap and all the while, this man was going "it's ok, it's ok..just show me where and pointing to the map. Then all of a sudden, he says, thank you thank you and him and the woman left, waving at me and smiling while they did. I got out of there but a few minutes up the road, I pulled in and checked my bag and wallet - they had stolen my laser card...the woman must have done it while he was distracting me. I cancelled the card and reported it to the gardai...waste of time - was told that it was only a piece of plastic and that since I had it cancelled, it would be ok. Nothing about how this guy opened the passenger door of my car, intimidated me while my kids were parked in the back. I just wanted to warn as many people about this as I can - they were both dark haired ,olive skinned, in their 40s. As I had used my laser card in the Lidl only minutes before, they may have been watching me as they knew exactly where in my wallet I kept it and may have noted the number as I was inputting it in the shop. Just be vigilant.

Tbh handbags are the worst invention ever. If you have a handbag make it is wedged/hidden and not left lying around or unattended at any time in or outside of your car. You were very lucky your purse, bag or phone wasn't taken.

There is plenty of crime prevention sites giving advice how to make it harder for criminals to take your hard earned property. Remember these scams are still ongoing because many people make it easy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Anyone know anything about the attempted break in this morning in Pinebrook??

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

sambora wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the attempted break in this morning in Pinebrook??

Go on,what did you hear?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Not a lot to be honest. Happened around Pinebrook Vale. And the only thing to try and identify them was the fact that they were in a Silver Ford Focus. Not even sure if it was a hatchback or saloon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

There are scumbag brats throwing eggs at windows in Ongar. Got done twice today.

There are scumbag brats throwing eggs at windows in Ongar. Got done twice today.

Your head must be scrambled !!

If you see them again just tell them to beat it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bottler70

Neighbours reported seeing some guys scoping out houses to break in around 5:30am. All of our neighbours are on alert. Be vigilant. They were seen climbing into back gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

What area is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Where was that?

They are the estates beside Clonsilla village just off the shelerin road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Bottler70 wrote: »
    They are the estates beside Clonsilla village just off the shelerin road

Perhaps you could include the names of the areas in the main body of your post rather than the title. As most people don't read the title mid-way through a thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Post title says Sorrell and Aspen, can't be seen on mobiles just to let the OP know.

Sorry bout that. Long time viewer first time poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Mods, feel free to move this to a thread of its own if you think it's warranted... I think it needs exposure...

The principal of Ladyswell National School posted this on Facebook earlier today.
    Dear Parents. BE AWARE that a very serious sexual assault happened to an adult this afternoon between Dromheath and Castle Curragh....the Gardaí are involved. Please take care of the children and warn them of impending danger.

Another lady was assaulted by two males in the park where the Tolka river is in Mulhuddart a couple of weeks ago also. Be aware if anyone is approaching this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

That assault at the bridge at the talka was a lucky get away by the woman, AGS didn't cover themselves in glory afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

SNIP, sorry double post.

Advertisement