Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Terrible to watch the crimecall reconstruction of the attack on the teenage girl on the old Hansfield road path. Cant believe there wasnt more publicity about it, although I did go away on hols earlier that day so maybe it was talked about at the time. Also cant believe the Guards havent tracked down yet the two school colleagues of the girl or the woman that assisted her as she fled, surely the school would have been involved and the woman would have wanted to give a statement.

I would urge everyone to watch back the reconstruction and check the description, 20ish, thin, eastern european descent, raised bump on nose, dark hoodie, bright blue trackies with white stripes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

What's/where's the rat road?

A rat run/road is a road not designed as a main traffic route which is used by cars to avoid traffic queues. They're usually back roads and lanes or roads through estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

athtrasna wrote: »
    A rat run/road is a road not designed as a main traffic route which is used by cars to avoid traffic queues. They're usually back roads and lanes or roads through estates.

Its not a rat run road (its blocked off at both ends to traffic) The roads nickname is the rat road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Also cant believe the Guards havent tracked down yet the two school colleagues of the girl
    Yes I didn't quite understand this since they implied she recognised them and even chatted to the girl

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Terrible to watch the crimecall reconstruction of the attack on the teenage girl on the old Hansfield road path. Cant believe there wasnt more publicity about it, although I did go away on hols earlier that day so maybe it was talked about at the time. Also cant believe the Guards havent tracked down yet the two school colleagues of the girl or the woman that assisted her as she fled, surely the school would have been involved and the woman would have wanted to give a statement.

I would urge everyone to watch back the reconstruction and check the description, 20ish, thin, eastern european descent, raised bump on nose, dark hoodie, bright blue trackies with white stripes

It was really shocking to watch. I hadn't heard a thing about it either until someone posted about it on this forum and I live reasonably close to there. Good to hear they've had plenty of calls in relation to the incident. The fact that he had braces on his lower teeth should help identify him too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Its not a rat run road (its blocked off at both ends to traffic) The roads nickname is the rat road

It used to be the old original road to Clonee from Clonsilla. Was only closed off maybe 4 or 5 years ago. The roundabout was so odd at the Clonee end, like a one way traffic deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'm over 8 years living out that direction. I've never seen one. I normally only walk from the phibblestown house gate up to Mother Hubbards though. Maybe the rats are further up?

Haven't seen many since the road was closed for traffic - when it was still open, some lovely people would dump their garbage in the ditches, hence the rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

A road called a rat run has nothing to do with rats. I though ye were all joking but it appears not. It refers to a road been a short cut

A road called a rat run has nothing to do with rats. I though ye were all joking but it appears not. It refers to a road been a short cut

I give up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

One more time :)

It's just a local/colloquial name for that road, due to the number of rats that used to be seen scurrying around there when some lovely people used to dump their household rubbish there. Nothing to do with being a 'rat run'. It strictly refers to rodents. Hence, the Rat Road!!!

The end. Night night now, hope ye brushed ye're teeth... D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK enough with the OT chat about rat roads/runs, it is of no use to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭420

dickwod1 wrote: »
    It depends on if the windows are internally glazed or externally glazed, if there externally glazed the glass can be taken out from the outside.

How can i tell if they are internally or externally glazed. Looking at my own window and i cannot tell the difference?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭420

where can i find these pictures and any update?

420 wrote: »
    How can i tell if they are internally or externally glazed. Looking at my own window and i cannot tell the difference?.

Here is a link that explains how to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

420 wrote: »
    where can i find these pictures and any update?

As has been mentioned by others, they dont seem to show Crimecall on demand or RTE player for some stupid reason or other. The actor featuring in the reconstruction was a native Dub, which wasnt as the girl described, but other than the description I gave in my previous post, they showed a large photofit of a thin faced guy with short hair with a widows peak hairline showing under his hoodie.

Wasnt there mention on this thread or another a few months back about some daytime attacks on young mothers (or women generally) near the Ongar Park and playground? Was there anything solved in relation to those or should the Guards be looking at a connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

As has been mentioned by others, they dont seem to show Crimecall on demand or RTE player for some stupid reason or other. The actor featuring in the reconstruction was a native Dub, which wasnt as the girl described, but other than the description I gave in my previous post, they showed a large photofit of a thin faced guy with short hair with a widows peak hairline showing under his hoodie.

Wasnt there mention on this thread or another a few months back about some daytime attacks on young mothers (or women generally) near the Ongar Park and playground? Was there anything solved in relation to those or should the Guards be looking at a connection?

Here's the photofit from Barnwell Residents' Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/barnwellra/status/395335383556571136/photo/1

That's correct re the daytime attacks on young mothers, but I never heard anything about someone being caught for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

A few cars around the littlepace and ongar area got their windows smashed last week.I think they were just looking for equipment etc in the cars.

A neighbour of mines cctv caught one fellow checking his car door handle and walking away.very good picture but unfortunatley it only caught him from behind.My neighbour seen a few lads break a car window at 05:30 in the morning,his dog was going mental so he looked out the window and seen them.

I also heard that a black Audi with tinted windows tried to call a 12 year old girl into there car in the Manorsfield area.When the girl wouldnt come a man jumped out of the car and ran after her.he didnt catch her.

I seen this info on the Allendale facebook page apparently the gardai asked a poster to put it up about the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

This is a great thread for D 15 . It shows people of the area care. Keep up the posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Kev. wrote: »
    I also heard that a black Audi with tinted windows tried to call a 12 year old girl into there car in the Manorsfield area.When the girl wouldnt come a man jumped out of the car and ran after her.he didnt catch her.

I seen this info on the Allendale facebook page apparently the gardai asked a poster to put it up about the girl.

I'm always very sceptical of these facebook stories. How fat, slow or disabled would a grown man have to be not to catch a 12 year old if that was his intention ?

If the gardai had concerns about it I'm sure they wouldn't be asking a member of the public to put it up on a community facebook page.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There's always rumours like that going around. Makes it hard to know when to take it seriously or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There's always rumours like that going around. Makes it hard to know when to take it seriously or not.

Usually a white van, usually bullsh*t. So yeah, it's a case of The Boy Who Cried Wolf if there is actually a threat in the area. Facebook is such a dangerous rumour mill

Yep Im always the same with these stories.But its better to spread the word than not too just incase.

My wife read the story out to my kids last night,it does no harm and keeps them reminded of the dangers out there!

Just another story she told me from the facebook page...

A 8 1/2 month pregnant woman got cut of in the estate by a car,she was forced to reverse and let the man out.
    When she let him out the driver of the car pulled up beside her to apologise as she thought....the scumbag spat on her face! She had her kids in the car aswell.
    He flew off and knocked off his lights so she wouldnt get his reg..but fair play to her she managed to get it..
    Anyway after she stuck the reg and make of the car up on facebook they got the culprit and know where he lives ...haha..Karmas a bitch

Anyway enough gossip from me...I feel like an oulwan..

A 8 1/2 month pregnant woman got cut of in the estate by a car,she was forced to reverse and let the man out.
    When she let him out the driver of the car pulled up beside her to apologise as she thought....the scumbag spat on her face! She had her kids in the car aswell.
    He flew off and knocked off his lights so she wouldnt get his reg..but fair play to her she managed to get it..
    Anyway after she stuck the reg and make of the car up on facebook they got the culprit and know where he lives ...haha..Karmas a bitch

Anyway enough gossip from me...I feel like an oulwan..

Who knows where he lives? The police? Or some random vigilante mob? Neighbourhood watch is one thing. Taking matters into your own hands based on a Facebook post is ****ing ridiculous.

Who knows where he lives? The police? Or some random vigilante mob? Neighbourhood watch is one thing. Taking matters into your own hands based on a Facebook post is ****ing ridiculous.

The police and the person who got spit on knows where he lives.
    Who said anything about a vigilante mob?

I think your jumping the gun there a bit

The police and the person who got spit on knows where he lives.
    Who said anything about a vigilante mob?

I think your jumping the gun there a bit

I asked because your post wasn't specific about who knew where he lived.

Putting people's personal information on Faebook, regardless of what they might have done, is asking for vigilante justice.

I asked because your post wasn't specific about who knew where he lived.

Putting people's personal information on Faebook, regardless of what they might have done, is asking for vigilante justice.

Why do you keep mentioning vigilante ? I never mentioned the word once?

A person spat on a womans face,a woman who was heavily pregnant.
    For nothing..absolutely no reason.If it was my wife or a family member it happened to I would have no problem putting his reg on facebook to find out where he lives,so he could be caught for doing such a vile thing.

Its an assault on someone. And therefore a criminal offence.

I honest cant get where your coming from with your posts.

Do you watch crimewatch? Does that incite vigilante behaviour?
    Seriously have a think about what your writing...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

You'd be better off going to the garda and giving them the info you have.

Why do you keep mentioning vigilante ? I never mentioned the word once?

A person spat on a womans face,a woman who was heavily pregnant.
    For nothing..absolutely no reason.If it was my wife or a family member it happened to I would have no problem putting his reg on facebook to find out where he lives,so he could be caught for doing such a vile thing.

Its an assault on someone. And therefore a criminal offence.

Do you watch crimewatch? Does that incite vigilante behaviour?
    Seriously have a think about what your writing...

Where did I say you said vigilante? I don't think I did.

I stand by my point. Putting alleged crimes up on a social media website is taking justice into your own hands. The very definition of a vigilante.

In this particular case if the woman had the reg of the car she could easily have taken it to the guards and they would have been able to track him down without any help from Facebook. If she did indeed go to the guards straight away and give them this information then putting it on Facebook was unnecessary and could interfere with any investigation.

Cases appear on Crimewatch when the guards actually require the public's assistance in getting information about crimes they've hit a dead end investigating. It is in no way the same thing as posting things on Facebook.

I don't know what you're getting so annoyed at me about? I'm not having a go at you, I'm questioning the rationale behind a Facebook page that posts things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I too was unsure who you meant when you said:
    they got the culprit and know where he lives

If you changed they to the Gardai it would have been very clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Just wanted to post a warning in relation to a scam that happened to me in Blanch shopping centre yesterday. I was in the Next car park having done some shopping, my two small kids were strapped in the back seat, my handbag was on the passengers seat and I was just about to reverse out of my parking space when all of a sudden, a man opened my passenger side door and started pointing to a map (of Dublin city centre) and babbling in a foreign language saying the same word over and over again like he was frantically trying to find somewhere. A woman stood behind him. I was a bit shocked at this guy having opened my passenger door but he looked desperate for help with directions so I tried to help by understanding what he was trying to say. He put the map down on top of my handbag and it dawned on me that my handbag could be swiped. I grabbed my bag and as I did, my wallet fell onto the passengers seat (It is always kept in a zipped pocke so it shouldn't have just fallen out. I took my bag and wallet onto my lap and all the while, this man was going "it's ok, it's ok..just show me where and pointing to the map. Then all of a sudden, he says, thank you thank you and him and the woman left, waving at me and smiling while they did. I got out of there but a few minutes up the road, I pulled in and checked my bag and wallet - they had stolen my laser card...the woman must have done it while he was distracting me. I cancelled the card and reported it to the gardai...waste of time - was told that it was only a piece of plastic and that since I had it cancelled, it would be ok. Nothing about how this guy opened the passenger door of my car, intimidated me while my kids were parked in the back. I just wanted to warn as many people about this as I can - they were both dark haired ,olive skinned, in their 40s. As I had used my laser card in the Lidl only minutes before, they may have been watching me as they knew exactly where in my wallet I kept it and may have noted the number as I was inputting it in the shop. Just be vigilant.

Advertisement