Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

There was an armed robbery in Castleknock around noon today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yesterday a neighbour caught 2 lads (11/13) trying to open doors. She was coming down the stairs saw the door opening and they ran off when she shouted.

OH saw them going door to door thought they were looking for sponsorship.

Bramblefield / Archers Wood area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Yesterday a neighbour caught 2 lads (11/13) trying to open doors. She was coming down the stairs saw the door opening and they ran off when she shouted.

They managed to open a locked door?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Ciaran, are you living in the area - and if so have you joined this page? https://www.facebook.com/BramblefieldResidentsGroup?ref=hl

nudger wrote: »
    They managed to open a locked door?

No it was just closed and handle pushed up. I know they should gave locked it and lesson learned and lucky.

• Advertisement

Arciphel wrote: »
    Ciaran, are you living in the area - and if so have you joined this page? https://www.facebook.com/BramblefieldResidentsGroup?ref=hl

Yeah I'm in Archers Wood. Can I still join?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Yeah I'm in Archers Wood. Can I still join?

Course you can Ciaran ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Hi guys I have a friend who is looking at renting in fortlawn. I know it had a bad name what's it like now ? Would it be safe for her ? Cheers
    try using the Accommodation & Property forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    We noticed a smell of gas outside the house on Wednesday morning. called Bord Gais and when the guy came he showed us that a piece of copper pipe had been cut and stolen.
    Total pain, E200 for a plumber to fix it and plus no heating for 2 days.
    The Bord Gais guy said he had, had another similar call out that morning.

Not sure where you are but another house done on Thursday night in Whitestown..

Gas company has said its happening everywhere lately..

Even worse.. They also said the new pay as you go meters are even being taken now once they have been topped up...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Not sure where you are but another house done on Thursday night in Whitestown..

Even worse.. They also said the new pay as you go meters are even being taken now once they have been topped up...

Were the house occupants home at the time ? Very dangerous thing to do.

• Advertisement

Were the house occupants home at the time ? Very dangerous thing to do.

Yes occupans were at home asleep in bed.

Whoever took it turned the gas off at the main box!

Yes occupans were at home asleep in bed.

Whoever took it turned the gas off at the main box!

They can't be getting much metal. I don't see the great reward just lots of risk

They can't be getting much metal. I don't see the great reward just lots of risk

Exactly what I was thinking..

They got 1 single length of pipe... About 10-12ft surely couldnt be worth that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

And the sad part is the gas company and the Garda will wait till a few houses blow up before they will try to tackle this problem.

Exactly what I was thinking..

They got 1 single length of pipe... About 10-12ft surely couldnt be worth that much?

So do they dig the garden then also to get it out ?

So do they dig the garden then also to get it out ?

no, the pipe was attached along the side of the house, they cut it off a couple of inches up from the ground and then right before the side entrance gate

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Maybe off the point but I live in ongar and we have a problem with so many people using our binshed to dump their rubbish in, we have a code but this seems to constantly go out to friends and family and renters, anyone have any ideas to put a stop to this from experience in other estates????

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Did anyone hear the garda chopper over Blanchardstown village area last night from about 12am for an hour or? Just heard it again this morning at 7am. Anyone know if something was going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

saranac1 wrote: »
    Maybe off the point but I live in ongar and we have a problem with so many people using our binshed to dump their rubbish in, we have a code but this seems to constantly go out to friends and family and renters, anyone have any ideas to put a stop to this from experience in other estates????

We have an open bin compound without a roof or coded door, so you can imagine the abuse. Ended up erecting CCTV and threatening the small number of residents with permission to use it that if they made it available to friends and family they would be billed. Also sent solicitors letters to a number of cars caught on the CCTV. Its been quiet since all that but you need to have zero tolerance.

PS the estate is private ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

I find its quite hard to stop them but I will try get a CCTV setup and contact guards with reg numbers and send letters it's the only way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

The estate may be private grounds but as tenants are giving out the code, the people are visitors with the permission of the tenants. Unwelcome visitors they are, causing complications and annoyance to the landlord and other tenants. But i wonder would the guards get involved. Technically they are not throwing rubbish around, its being put in a bin. I'm just looking at it from a laymans legal viewpoint and i sympathise with yourself. I'm just throwing in my opinion but i think your only recourse is with the tenant and even at that what about the tenant who doesn't care. Is there a law that you cannot put rubbish in a bin that doesn't belong to you, i don't know but i hope so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

saranac1 wrote: »
    I find its quite hard to stop them but I will try get a CCTV setup and contact guards with reg numbers and send letters it's the only way

You need to be very careful here from a couple of points of view . Before you accuse someone be sure of who they are and what they are doing. I do a lot of work in apartment complexes both for apartment owners and various property management companies who may be looking after properties in these developments. I would often finish jobs and drive around to get rid of rubbish from the job .
    I am also often asked by the people to drop a bag off on my way out etc. Sometimes I offer for some older residents etc.
    The amount of times I have been accused in the wrong by "concerned residents" is unreal. You should ask the person what they are doing first.
    Re the cctv you plan to use:
    This may cause problems from a few points of view.
    It may only be covering a small area and not show where the rubbish is coming from.
    The cctv may not contain digital watermarking so may be inadmissible as evidence.
    There are also issues with data protection if you are recording images without signage and notification.
    I'm not condoning illegal behaviour in any way. Just pointing out the pitfalls and some obvious points that people often don't consider .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Just a heads up about a gang going around in the very early mornings (5am'ish) who are leaving 'cars for cash' advertising cards under the windscreen wipers of cars. It's just a cover though as they've been caught using flashlights to examine in the insides of the cars, and have been seen checking if car doors were locked etc.

They were seen last early this morning (Jan 30th) in the Ongar Wood area. They were also seen in the Blakestown area.

Gardai are aware and are increasing patrols.

Just a heads up about a gang going around in the very early mornings (5am'ish) who are leaving 'cars for cash' advertising cards under the windscreen wipers of cars. It's just a cover though as they've been caught using flashlights to examine in the insides of the cars, and have been seen checking if car doors were locked etc.

They were seen last early this morning (Jan 30th) in the Ongar Wood area. They were also seen in the Blakestown area.

I'm sure they are alright. Don't get me wrong i'm sure the guards did say that but I think thats the reply to every problem.. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

I remember spotting one of those vans doing a U turn outside my house (and for some reason I thought it was strange) but I can't remember a day and time. Must go through the cctv and see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm sure they are alright. Don't get me wrong i'm sure the guards did say that but I think thats the reply to every problem.. ..

The Garda I spoke to seemed annoyed that they haven't been caught yet. He very briefly mentioned something about 'they got away from us earlier'.
    I think there is a genuine effort to catch these guys. I hope so. They're probably the same gang that stole my last motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you see any sort of 'cars for cash' or too good to be true waste removal posters or flyers being distributed, always report the details to Fingal CoCo environment and the Guards.

I heard previously that because of the epidemic of illegal posters and scamming South Dublin Co set up a bit of a sting and faked a car sale to one of the gangs and got them for littering and illegal advertising. I know thats a bit like getting Al Capone for tax but it puts them off certain areas.

This was on the Joe show today, the guy who set it up today has put up the actual footage of his house being broken into and is asking others to add to his site.

http://crimecctv.com/

As a good few of you have cameras thought it might be interesting and helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

nudger wrote: »
    This was on the Joe show today, the guy who set it up today has put up the actual footage of his house being broken into and is asking others to add to his site.

http://crimecctv.com/

As a good few of you have cameras thought it might be interesting and helpful.

Anyone identified from these videos may be able to claim that a trial would be prejudiced by the footage being put in a public domain. Tread carefully.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Anyone identified from these videos may be able to claim that a trial would be prejudiced by the footage being put in a public domain. Tread carefully.

Nobody could be ID'ed from that footage that would stand up in court, I know only too well.

But as a person from the local area that might know who they are it's good to know who are the arseholes doing it.

Advertisement