Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

amdublin wrote: »
    Yep I don't lock my front door with a chubb or anything, just the door knob type opener at the top.

Hmmm, my back door is different....need to think more about that.

Those locks are not very strong and because they are single point, would be relatively easy to break through. The balance between fire safety and security is a tough one to work out but only a cylinder lock on the front door would not seem like enough security.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

athtrasna wrote: »
    Those locks are not very strong and because they are single point, would be relatively easy to break through. The balance between fire safety and security is a tough one to work out but only a cylinder lock on the front door would not seem like enough security.

I would agree athtrasna....it's a difficult one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

God forbid in case of a fire I will be going down stairs and straight out my front door, i never forsee an occasion where the house is on fire and after getting downstairs i turn back into the main part of the house instead of straight out the front door which is at the end of the stairs. Hence considering that statistically most people gain entrance via the rear of a house in a break in and the only route to my family is in the hall door I think it makes perfect sense to lock it from the inside and leave the key in the hall side of the door. The last situation I want to be in is an intruder at the top of my stairs because if that ever happens ill end up doing life. As i said doors can be repaired, lives cannot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Bungalows ftw - Straight out the window in the event of fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Surely a closed door stops fire the same as a locked one?

You would think so but no. Have you not seen back draft? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Fire doors have a strip around them to seal the don't they. But I assume you can only do that where there's an alternate exit, and fire zones, breaks are planed accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

gipi wrote: »
    My parents house was burgled during the summer (Coolmine area), house ransacked, money and jewellery taken - left technology and the like. There have been 3 burglaries in their estate in the past 6-8 weeks, one prised open a front, living room window (using the wheelie bins as cover).

The gardaí asked my parents if they had photos of the jewellery taken (inc 56 yr old engagement ring) - naturally they didn't because it's not something they'd ever have thought of. The gardaí said if they'd had photos they might have checked the "cash for gold" kiosks locally.

Might be an idea for everyone to photograph their jewellery and offer to do same for family, neighbours, etc.

But the judge says I can't take pics of my family jewels anymore and show them to other people.

Seriously though...taking pics is a great idea. One of my bicycles was stolen about 12 years ago. I had a pic and gave it to the Gardai. 3 months later, they pulled up at the house with the remains of my bicycle asking me to confirm it was mine. It was just a frame...but still, they were able to bring it to me because they had the pic to compare with recovered items.

FYI...everyone should have one (or more) portable rope/chain ladders for fire escapes. Easily stored away, or even attached to the wall under the window.
    http://www.ladders.ie/escapeladder.html

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

PaulDonnellySF Paul Donnelly
    A really serious burglary took place in Hartstown last night at 11pm. Check out Safer Blanch Website for home security tips. #dubw

Anybody know what happened?

Safer Blanch Website ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Kev. wrote: »
    A really serious burglary took place in Hartstown last night at 11pm. Check out Safer Blanch Website for home security tips. #dubw

Apparently a really serious burglary occurred (as per your post)

Do you really need the gory details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

What exactly defines a "serious" burglary? Gory details aren't really required but it would surely be in the public interest to know what is happening in the area.

What a stupid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Here's the referenced website.

www.saferblanchardstown.com

But I don't see any 'news stories' on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Slightly down the road a bit, some thing similar happened a few weeks ago, not a word in the papers, radio, tv, old lady was put through hell guys looking for money burst their way in, not nice carry on, don't know the facts but it looks like they followed her home from collecting her old age pension.

I dunno what ye are talking about. Can you post a proper link to the news story,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Kev. wrote: »

More than you think!

Home from a party at about 1.30am last night to find a car had smashed through the wall of the first house on the right at the top of beechwood downs. Car was still on and nobody in. Anyway went home.

Out the next morning to find there was a guy outside our garden at 1.30am who scuppered when i came down the road into the next garden i didnt see him but a neighbour saw it all through the window.

We thought it might have been the guy who smashed into the wall but now that ive seen paul donnellys tweet im not so sure anymore what he was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Looks like someone tried to break into ours tonight - great on Christmas eve,

We were out in the day but home and in bed early as my GF has a cold and was not feeling well.

Was in bed by ten, some time after the door bell rang - half heard it as was asleep. Didnt ring a second time. seems like they then tried to get in the back when they thought no one was in - same in the neighbours house. I think the neighbours coming home disturbed them.

No major damage (just damaged door locks) or nothing taken - thankfully.

Cant sleep now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tin79 wrote: »
    No major damage (just damaged door locks) or nothing taken - thankfully.
    Get a dog for Christmas. They're lovely, and tend to scare burglars away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Gardai just stopped three lads outside our house that had obviously been hanging around the area, maybe waiting for people to go visiting. If anyone was hit last night, there might be some hope yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

the_syco wrote: »
    Get a dog for Christmas. They're lovely, and tend to scare burglars away :D

Thanks for that, yeah might be a good idea alright.

• Advertisement

These are great little alarms! Loud and very simple to install. Any mainly, very cheap!

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wireless-entry-alarm-826

You can also get them in Maplin!
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/magnetic-window-door-alarm-515813
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/door-alarm-31825

Generally a would be burglar would run if they hear an alarm...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MyNebulosity

*edit

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

My best friends house was robbed today only gold and cash was taken although the house was completely trashed, they went into the back garden, opened the shed took hammers and broke the smashed the backdoor. :/ She lives in Carpenters town. I live in Clonsilla and our car was stolen right in front of my mum's eyes a few months ago!

I'm sorry to hear this.

Does your friend have an alarm system ?
    Was the robbery during daylight hours ?
    Is the house part of an estate (meaning: were there neighbours either side of the house?)

*edit

whereabouts did it happen?

She lives in Carpenters town

Whereabouts in Carpenterstown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I am sickened to hear so many stories of break ins lately. I know the Gardai are anxiously promoting Neighbourhood Watch again but it isn't enough. In almost 8 years in the area I have never felt so nervous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

I know it sounds a bit cold but all you can do is make your place look harder to rob than next door.
    Have an Alarm, get a dog, put up a security light back and front, If you have a side entrance get a high gate and lock it.
    If like most houses you have Upvc doors and windows, are they glazed from the inside or outside, if the latter beads of silicone on all the panes.
    Simple things like closing your front gate, leaving a light on over night, if you have a lane way at the back, be the house with the high wall, glass it and feck what people tell you.
    Most break in's have a certain amount of recon, times for bringing kids to school, off to work, direction you go in, if possible change it from day to day.
    We got done, they knew our movements, no one home, no alarm, not anymore.

• Advertisement

Literally just now out alarm went off, we were all upstairs no where near the windows so there is so way it was us. The alarm log said upper front window. It may have been a cat (we don't have any animals and neither do our neighbors to the left and the right of our house) and I may just be paranoid but it's still suspicious. Just thought I'd tell you all.

*edit
    My alarm went off at ten past 5 in the morning today, the log said back doors.

Advertisement