Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee to Fenit Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

Have been advised by a town councillor that GST group are making a presentation at their February Town Council meeting. These meetings are open to the public if you would like to attend. It's on next Monday 11th in the Family Resource Centre on the John B Keane Rd. at 7pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

kingdumb wrote: »
    IMG_2548.JPG

Edit, How dol you set the embed size for an image, anyone ?

Just look at the set of them would you...

jezzag wrote: »
    The councillor has a farm further along the route apparently, unsurprisingly.

I guess that says it all...

RikkFlair wrote: »

I think this a case of the "Sure no one is using it, It's mine now" mentality.

Oh God I laughed so hard....Deliverance all over again.

This small minded land fetish mentality around the country is a joke...

CONSTITUTIONAL LAND REFORM REFERENDUM NOW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Hi all,

Can someone explain please what all this stuff about Listowel has to do with Tralee Fenit Greenway.?

What is the current update on progress on the Tralee to Fenit project. has it gone beyond Mounthawk yet?

Just concerned the thread is being derailed with issues in North Kerry.

Though perhaps there are similar issues to be encountered between Tralee and Fenit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hi all,

Can someone explain please what all this stuff about Listowel has to do with Tralee Fenit Greenway.?

What is the current update on progress on the Tralee to Fenit project. has it gone beyond Mounthawk yet?

Though perhaps there are similar issues to be encountered between Tralee and Fenit?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Hi all,

The Tralee - Fenit AND Tralee - Listowel - Ballingrane were collectively known as the 'North Kerry Railway', the GST are long-term planning a link-up of their existing Trail and the Tralee - Fenit (eventually) and yes, the Fenit group have had bother with NIMBYs on their proposed route.

Now keep up, will ya?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

It says in the Kerry eye that most of the problems might be sorted out with the land owners this week along the rest of the Feint route. It said its likely to have the route open in 2014 if it gets full approval during the late summer.

The Tralee - Fenit AND Tralee - Listowel - Ballingrane were collectively known as the 'North Kerry Railway', the GST are long-term planning a link-up of their existing Trail and the Tralee - Fenit (eventually) and yes, the Fenit group have had bother with NIMBYs on their proposed route.

Now keep up, will ya?:D

Many thanks,

Sorry did not realise the Fenit trail was extending as Ballingrane

Where are the NIMBY issues between Mounthawk and Fenit?

It will be a fantastic attraction for tourists and cyclists.

Thought this trail was supposed to open 2 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Many thanks,

It could open by 2014 if the problems with the landowners are sorted and if it gets full approval.

• Advertisement

It could open by 2014 if the problems with the landowners are sorted and if it gets full approval.

Why do all thes initiatives take so long?

During a time of uneployment , jobs are being held back?

Why do all thes initiatives take so long?

During a time of uneployment , jobs are being held back?

Bureaucracy, skulduggery and begrudgery.

The Fenit had a similar blockade of walkers some time ago, Gardai etc in attendance, presumably by people living in dwellings adjoining the formation, their problem was that the walk/cycle trail would bring 'bad elements' close to their properties. Yes, clearly all those walkers, joggers, cyclists and women with baby strollers are not to be trusted.:pac:

The sooner the joggers, walkers and cyclists are accommodated on the new trail way the better, IMO, before there is a serious accident on the Tralee To Fenit Road. People are more precious than fighting over a few feet of disused railway line. The Field mentality still exists!

this is Kerry #1 tourist destination in Ireland !!

Kerry people would think so!:pac:

The Mayo project did get lucky, the Achill branch was abandoned before CIE were even thought of, so they wouldn't expect any help from that quarter. They must have some enlightened landowners there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I wonder will they convert the old 'new' Tralee/Blennerville railway into a Greenway? When that's done they can start on Tralee/Mallow.

I wonder will they convert the old 'new' Tralee/Blennerville railway into a Greenway? When that's done they can start on Tralee/Mallow.

It's already a walkway....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Tralee_and_Blennerville_Steam_Railway_-_geograph.org.uk_-_257022.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This featured on TG4 News last night

http://www.tg4.ie/ie/tg4-player/tg4-player.html
    Nuacht TG4 - Episode:38 (2/2) starts in @ 1.51

07.02.13: Mórimeachtaí an lae ó Aonad Nuachta TG4.

(Have to play Nuacht TG4 - Episode:38 (1/2) first - goto the end of the first half of the show and Episode:38 (2/2) will begin shortly after)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

all

Many thanks,

An individual just outside the town has concreted over a section of the line, tracks and all, adjacent to his house to provide parking for his trucks. Another individual in the Spa has tarred over a section of the line, again tracks and all, to add a driveway to their former level-crossing cottage.

You really couldn't make this stuff up. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Your probably right that this doesn’t belong here, but yes there are much the same projects and facing the same issues, just in different locations.

The aim of the GST is for people to be able to have a Greenway from Limerick to Tralee as you can see from their signage along the route.

ncw_sign.jpg?w=500&h=456
    Hi all,

• Advertisement

The Mayo Greenway is on private land, CIE sold the land to farmers, it took the agreement of 160 to allow the use of their land make the project possible, and here we are, with a handful of farmers holding up the project even though the land is still state owned.

On thing that bug me about the reports about all this is the referral to those claiming they own the land as 'landowners', they are not, CIE are the landowners.
    Kerry people would think so!:pac:

The Mayo project did get lucky, the Achill branch was abandoned before CIE were even thought of, so they wouldn't expect any help from that quarter. They must have some enlightened landowners there.

The Mayo Greenway is on private land, CIE sold the land to farmers, it took the agreement of 160 to allow the use of their land make the project possible, and here we are, with a handful of farmers holding up the project even though the land is still state owned.

On thing that bug me about the reports about all this is the referral to those claiming they own the land as 'landowners', they are not, CIE are the landowners.

The GSR (Great Southern Railways) would have sold the land when the Achill branch closed in 1937, CIE was only formed in 1945, other than that niggly point, I'm totally in agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Good point. Not all farmers along the route agreed though, and there are a few diversions "off the tracks" when you go along the route.

In Kerry tough, there should be no such problems since the farmers don't own the land in the first place.

I'm wondering if CIE or the DOT have the interest/courage to pursue it though? Mind you, since Leo's writ covers transport and tourism, one would think that he would ensure it would happen.

serfboard wrote: »
    Good point. Not all farmers along the route agreed though, and there are a few diversions "off the tracks" when you go along the route.

In Kerry tough, there should be no such problems since the farmers don't own the land in the first place.

I'm wondering if CIE or the DOT have the interest/courage to pursue it though? Mind you, since Leo's writ covers transport and tourism, one would think that he would ensure it would happen.

I wonder if Leo has had a word with Jimmy about getting FG councillor Stack to keep a low profile and not be involved in this game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The GSR (Great Southern Railways) would have sold the land when the Achill branch closed in 1937, CIE was only formed in 1945, other than that niggly point, I'm totally in agreement.

Interestingly CIE/IE held large tracts of long defunct railway formations in the 1990s - parts of the Cavan & Leitrim system, the MGWR Clifden line (including the station, loco shed etc. at Clifden) and more besides. I shouldn't be in the least surprised to find that they own some of the formation/bridges etc. on the Parsonstown & Portumna Bridge line too.

I'm still intrigued as to how a Greenway is being developed on the Fenit branch considering the fact that it has never been officially closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

....providing CIE have taken care to continuously assert their ownership. If not, the current occupiers may have a case under the law of adverse possession. That's the one that says if you have openly occupied/used the property as yours for long enough without objection from the owner, then it becomes yours. Long enough has been as little as 12 years.

Regardless of the situation with CIE asserting their ownership, from my understanding of adverse possession, the burden of proof is on the claimant/plaintiff. Until they show proof of position of the land for the time set out in statute the title remains with the holders of the deeds, ie CIE aka the landowners.

I know it a small point, but every time someone refers to these squatters as landowners they are reinforcing and legitimising their position.
    JonathonS wrote: »
    ....providing CIE have taken care to continuously assert their ownership. If not, the current occupiers may have a case under the law of adverse possession. That's the one that says if you have openly occupied/used the property as yours for long enough without objection from the owner, then it becomes yours. Long enough has been as little as 12 years.

JonathonS wrote: »

BT Ireland operate a fibre optic cable along the length of the Tralee-Limerick line for which they pay yearly rent to CIE. This in itself is CIE asserting ownership of the line.

Regardless of the situation with CIE asserting their ownership, from my understanding of adverse possession, the burden of proof is on the claimant/plaintiff. Until they show proof of position of the land for the time set out in statute the title remains with the holders of the deeds, ie CIE aka the landowners.

I know it a small point, but every time someone refers to these squatters as landowners they are reinforcing and legitimising their position.

That's correct. And mere possession of the property is not sufficient either. Possession must be "adverse" and therefore demonstrate an intention to exclude the true owner and all others from use and enjoyment of the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Regardless of the situation with CIE asserting their ownership,
    Not true. A key part of the law is that the landowner must have asserted their ownership. If they have not done so their position is seriously weakened.
    from my understanding of adverse possession, the burden of proof is on the claimant/plaintiff.
    If they have concreted over a section or just used it without objection that may be sufficient proof.

All of this is easy to check, if CIE have been doing their job properly there will be signs along the route stating that it is their property, and they will have served legal notice on anybody who has attempted to squat.

Advertisement