Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee to Fenit Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Picked this up from the Soc / Commuting & Transport / "Western Rail Corridor" Thread.

[QUOTE=Quackster;80638758]As far as I'm aware, this line hasn't been formally abandoned and therefore the Act of Parliament establishing it hasn't been repealed. In that case, the permanent way is protected by statute law so (as statute law trumps common law) adverse possession cannot take place, no matter how long a person swats on it.

Of course, the actuality of removing said swatter(s) is another matter due to the time and resources consumed in taking legal action. We're currently suffering such a problem here in Kerry trying to develop the Tralee to Fenit Greenway.[/QUOTE]

The Tralee/Fenit line has not been abandoned so it's only a matter of time. TIME TO NAME AND SHAME !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

CIE is perfectly entitled to inspect their line with a Caterpillar D-9 at any time they wish. Giving notice that they fully intend to do so this month would be a good start. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqayaahMcR06mllAn-7lFvi0yV2GIYRkyti2NRwAnZv-xtrAI5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

amadain wrote: »
    Picked this up from the Soc / Commuting & Transport / "Western Rail Corridor" Thread.

The Tralee/Fenit line has not been abandoned so it's only a matter of time. TIME TO NAME AND SHAME !

Yeah , time to name and shame. Perhaps the names could be highlighted on the flashing signage at Kellihers Garage?:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ground Zero has moved back to the Kerry Border Barricade east of Listowel. :)

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/local-business/farmers-blocking-plans-to-extend-limerick-walking-trail-told-to-back-off-1-4967494
    The farmers, who have set up the North Kerry Abandoned Rail Line Action Group, are claiming ownership :D of the old railway line, which could worth up to €1 million. However CIE is insisting that it holds the deeds to the property, which has remained a public right of way.

and

a recent meeting between CIE and representatives of the North Kerry farmers has not progressed the stand-off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ground Zero has moved back to the Kerry Border Barricade east of Listowel. :)

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/local-business/farmers-blocking-plans-to-extend-limerick-walking-trail-told-to-back-off-1-4967494[/QUOTE]

Would these people kindly fcuk off? Hopefully CIE will put them back in their boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Word on the street is that there was yet another tranche of funding available for projects such as this with a deadline recently, and yet again KCC have not applied for a penny for the North Kerry Railway despite the project being an objective of the county development plan.*

* hearsay, I could be totally wrong here [hopefully]

In other news KCC are reaching the citizens of Kerry for input on what should be in the next county plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

I just passed the upper end of the first section and it looks like the final surface is being laid today. Time to move on to the other side of the road then I hope...

The surface was laid in a few hours, which makes you wonder why it took so long to do so when the initial surfacing work was completed before xmas ? Anyway was on the route a few time over the weekend and I can't believe how many people are using it, they may have to widen it before long !
    Quaderno wrote: »
    I just passed the upper end of the first section and it looks like the final surface is being laid today. Time to move on to the other side of the road then I hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

kingdumb wrote: »
    The surface was laid in a few hours, which makes you wonder why it took so long to do so when the initial surfacing work was completed before xmas ? Anyway was on the route a few time over the weekend and I can't believe how many people are using it, they may have to widen it before long !
    Which section were you on? From the Tralee end or the Mounthawk end?

And have they removed the wall at the Tralee end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Yes they have removed that wall. It is now time to proceed work on the rest of the lien to Feint.

• Advertisement

It is open between Rock Street and Mounthawk, although the Mounthawk entrance is not complete, but you can sill access it there.

Yes the wall is gone, there is a photo up here:
    http://traleetofenitcycleway.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/more-progress/
    serfboard wrote: »
    Which section were you on? From the Tralee end or the Mounthawk end?

And have they removed the wall at the Tralee end?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I cycled this on Saturday, from Fat Mile to Rock Street. Super stuff. They need to put up a 'doggie bag' dispenser though, I didn't appreciate having to dodge several bits of 'doggy doo' on my spin. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

The surface was laid in a few hours, which makes you wonder why it took so long to do so when the initial surfacing work was completed before xmas ?

Most hot tar works like this occur duning the summer months when the tar plants are operating and the days are long and the ambient temperatures are a little higher than at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭TigerTim

groovie wrote: »
    I cycled this on Saturday, from Fat Mile to Rock Street. Super stuff. They need to put up a 'doggie bag' dispenser though, I didn't appreciate having to dodge several bits of 'doggy doo' on my spin. :(

I walked it at Christmas on the old surface & it was destroyed with dog poo. Walked is just after new surface was put down & noticed how devoid of dog poo it was. Guess it didn't take long to get filthy again.

T,

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Unless KCC punish the owners of these culprits it will be called the Tralee to Fenit BrownWay.

It is not much point in having expensive signage about fines unless there is actual policing of it. A couple of heavy fines and dog owners wouldn't be long getting the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

Any news when they are going to finish the walkway?

I know the path is finished and it looks lovely as I'm using it frequently but there are no rubbish bins, benches, soil or gravel on the sides of the walkway, etc.

I agree with the other posters that "doggie bags" dispensers at the both sides of the walkway are sorely missed, the place is plagued with poops.

Is it wandering dogs or accompanied dogs that are making all the crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Is it wandering dogs or accompanied dogs that are making all the crap?

Its high time somebody rubbed the owners noses in it.

Interesting and somewhat related: http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/e50000-allocated-for-greenway-on-old-glenbeigh-to-caherciveenrenard-railway-line/
    €50,000 has been allocated for the development of a greenway along the old Glenbeigh to Caherciveen/Renard railway line. (...) This route will mirror the iconic Ring of Kerry, and the long term objective is to develop a Ring of Kerry cycleway. (...)

Unless KCC punish the owners of these culprits it will be called the Tralee to Fenit BrownWay.

It is not much point in having expensive signage about fines unless there is actual policing of it. A couple of heavy fines and dog owners wouldn't be long getting the message.

Even wose it may become known as Dog **** Alley!

• Advertisement

This is good news, but I find it funny that KCC applied for the money to develop a cycle way on private land while refusing to apply for the same funding for the North Kerry railway which is still in state ownership and is a project that the minister for transport has indicated that he would like developed.

Quaderno wrote: »

This is good news, but I find it funny that KCC applied for the money to develop a cycle way on private land while refusing to apply for the same funding for the North Kerry railway which is still in state ownership and is a project that the minister for transport has indicated that he would like developed.
    Nail. On. Head.

Why? Because this way they can distribute moolah to locals under the guise of building a greenway.

On the North Kerry side, they would have to confront some locals who are squatting on state land, and they ain't gonna do that.

Nail. On. Head.

Why? Because this way they can distribute moolah to locals under the guise of building a greenway.

On the North Kerry side, they would have to confront some locals who are squatting on state land, and they ain't gonna do that.

It's CIE's land, not KCC.
    It's up to CIE to give the rednecks the bums rush and CIE's property dept moves as a pace that can be best described as 'glacial'.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Looks like the stretch from Rock Street to Mount Hawk has been christened "The Skinny Mile", to distinguish it from "The Fat Mile", no doubt. It measures approx. 1.18 miles, according to Map My Ride.

I understand the CIE issues, but Kerry CoCo had no problems sorting out any ownership/planning/funding when they wanted built a road on the land in Listowel, I also doubt they went pandering to any 'objectors' or 'landowners'.
    It's CIE's land, not KCC.
    It's up to CIE to give the rednecks the bums rush and CIE's property dept moves as a pace that can be best described as 'glacial'.

I understand the CIE issues, but Kerry CoCo had no problems sorting out any ownership/planning/funding when they wanted built a road on the land in Listowel, I also doubt they went pandering to any 'objectors' or 'landowners'.

On whose land? CIE's or a local's? For the latter there are compulsory purchase orders I believe. For the former, there would have to be some point of contact between the CC and CIE.

Basically, the rednecks want to use the trackbed to feed cattle on and move cattle around, store rotten old silage bales on without being bothered by brightly attired cyclists and walkers stepping into cow sh!te, i.e. treat it as if they owned the place.

Basically, the rednecks want to use the trackbed to feed cattle on and move cattle around, store rotten old silage bales on without being bothered by brightly attired cyclists and walkers stepping into cow sh!te, i.e. treat it as if they owned the place.
    Yep, it's a land grab, pure and simple, and it should not be allowed/tolerated.

Anyone know if Deenihan has made any comment on this?

His party colleague is one of the ringleader !

The ring road, was that not built on the railway line, similar to the the road at Banagh gap and the Rathkeale ?

No problem building roads in this county, but when you mention cycle facilities 'issues' come into play.
    On whose land? CIE's or a local's? For the latter there are compulsory purchase orders I believe. For the former, there would have to be some point of contact between the CC and CIE.

Don't know. However the issue needs to be sorted.:)

• Advertisement

I just want to leave that here for future reference:
    KCC doesn’t have funding to progress development of Great Southern
    Tuesday, September 17th, 2013 at 11:19 am.

Kerry County Council says it doesn’t have the resources to progress development of the Great Southern Trail. The old rail line from Limerick to Tralee has been cleared for use as a recreational greenway in west Limerick and there are hopes to extend the project into Kerry.

Previously Listowel Town Council has called on the local authority to support the development of the Listowel Rail Line Greenway as a recreation and tourist amenity. The Great Southern Trails has also criticised Kerry County Council for what it claimed was inaction on seeking funding for the greenway. A group known as the North Kerry Abandoned Rail Line Action Group is objecting to the development. Responding to a motion by Sinn Féin Councillor Toiréasa Ferris, Kerry County Council says it’s involved in progressing four other trails in Kerry. These are the Glenbeigh to Reenard trail, Fossa Loop, Tralee/Fenit cycleway, and Ballyseedy/Tralee/Spa walk and cycleway. Nationwide funding of €6.5m is available from the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport.Kerry County Council says the allocation of this funding is by means of a competition, and as a result, the local authority must concentrate its efforts to these four walks. An engineer has been appointed by Kerry County Council to oversee work on thes these walks.

Advertisement