Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee to Fenit Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

The Rock Street to Mounthawk is underway however.
    When compared with the progress of the multiple-sized private-sector engaged Tralee ring road, progress on the tralee-fenit line is lacking. Maybe a metaphor for the rest of the Irish economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

That is true Stevie, but that's of little use to the people of Fenit/Spa to whom funding was granted to develop the line between their two villages back in 2009.

Think of this another way, Limerick CoCo was awarded funding in July of this year for the section of the line to the Kerry border. I am sure there would be a bit of concern if they did nothing for over 3 years and then towards the end of 2015 started work at the limerick end of the line, a development would not allow them to draw down the funding !
    The Rock Street to Mounthawk is underway however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

kingdumb wrote: »
    That is true Stevie, but that's of little use to the people of Fenit/Spa to whom funding was granted to develop the line between their two villages back in 2009.

Think of this another way, Limerick CoCo was awarded funding in July of this year for the section of the line to the Kerry border. I am sure there would be a bit of concern if they did nothing for over 3 years and then towards the end of 2015 started work at the limerick end of the line, a development would not allow them to draw down the funding !

When is the rest of the line to Fenit likely to get underway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

When you pass nextweek you might get some photos of the works if possible?

Just a few pics of the section nearest to Abbeyfeale, this one shows where current trail meets the new section:

2hdad8l.jpg

Towards new road bridge, past old station house:

2s7ua2u.jpg

New bridge under construction across road here (google maps link)

2wn72oi.jpg

Tricky to get access to the works nearer to the Kerry border as I'd have had to drive or walk down private passageways, but driving on the L1327 road towards Listowel I could see the machinery parked on the trail. So I'd imagine the surface that you can see in those photos has been laid all the way to Kilmorna.

While I'm not sure if the Christmas deadline will be met, its good to see progress all the same.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=501417
    When is the rest of the line to Fenit likely to get underway?

• Advertisement

Nice pictures. Its great to see that it will be possible to walk to KIlmorna too

The bridge being lowered into place

Vc4Nml.jpg

and the border between Kerry and Limerick !

jdxFbl.jpg

It seems that Santa may have come early for the residents of Tralee, The Spa and Fenit. The Department of Transport have announced a further €200,000 grant aid to the project, this will mean that the first section of the route will be complete early in the new year !.

Surfacing works began this week on the Rock Street to Mounthawk section. could anyone possibly take photos of this surfacing works?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Surfacing works began this week on the Rock Street to Mounthawk section. could anyone possibly take photos of this surfacing works?

232568.jpg
    232569.jpg
    232570.jpg
    232572.jpg
    232573.jpg

• Advertisement

And a few more:

232574.jpg
    232575.jpg
    232577.jpg
    232576.jpg

Great shots !

Looking south towards Portugal

232574.jpg

Looking north towards Norway
    232577.jpg

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/possible-tralee-fenit-walk-and-cycleway-link-with-european-initiative/

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Has the makings of a fine wide "roadway" to School in Mounthawk

Great pics and great to see the walkway is now almost complete. Seems they haven t knocked the wall yet. When should it be ready for walking or cycling~?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Wow, that's a road!!!

Plenty of room for pedestrians and cyclists I reckon - Great Job!!!

Now, please don't kill me for saying this, but...

...It appears that there's room for two cars to pass comfortably. Now, given the problem with weed control on paths etc, would it make sense to allow cars to use this road (where it's possible - I'm aware of the narrow bridge - also, a 3 ton weight limit would have to apply throughout) at night hours when cyclists etc aren't using it - to me, this would solve the weed encroachment problem as well as maximizing the use of the infrastructure. Now, I don't know what the pavement construction will be in terms of strength - there's also the problem of speed enforcement...

What do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Wow, that's a road!!!

Plenty of room for pedestrians and cyclists I reckon - Great Job!!!

...It appears that there's room for two cars to pass comfortably. Now, given the problem with weed control on paths etc, would it make sense to allow cars to use this road (where it's possible - I'm aware of the narrow bridge - also, a 3 ton weight limit would have to apply throughout) at night hours when cyclists etc aren't using it - to me, this would solve the weed encroachment problem as well as maximizing the use of the infrastructure. Now, I don't know what the pavement construction will be in terms of strength - there's also the problem of speed enforcement...

What do you guys think?

Well done! Great job!

That's a genius idea but why stop there, if cars were encouraged to mount footpaths at night when few people are using them we would save loads on weeding and sweeping. Shure even if a few people were killed each year the savings on maintenance would out-weight the losses.

What do you guys think?

Well, the pictures in this thread come from very different places, the bridge pictured on the last page is actually near Abbeyfeale in Co. Limerick while the current cycleway project in Kerry will connect Tralee with Fenit, although it would be great if both lines could eventually be joined.
    The particular part which is currently being surfaced is only the very first 2km-section of this way from Tralee town centre towards Mounthawk. The rest of the way will in all likelihood not be as wide as the first part since only here was a double track, and there will indeed be a narrow bridge.
    What you see is not the tarmac yet, only the foundation has been laid so far and this should be finished by tomorrow. I have no idea when the final surface will be applied, but without being an expert I would think it should be done as soon as possible or the already compacted base layer will deteriorate quickly in the rain. I don't know if it can be done over the weekend but at least today when I took the pictures the weather seemed to be very good for works like that.
    Anyway, I can't wait to get the bike out on that track once its finished...
    As for the grass: sheep might be an option...

That's a genius idea but why stop there, if cars were encouraged to mount footpaths at night when few people are using them we would save loads on weeding and sweeping. Shure even if a few people were killed each year the savings on maintenance would out-weight the losses.

Don't be stupid! :(

...and why would motorists want to mount footpaths anyway? The greenway we're talking about here is wide enough for two cars to pass comfortably. Depending how practical it is, the issue of speed might be tackled by average speed cams etc. I'm just concerned about encroachment and given how this country is run, I have good reason to be concerned.

BTW, a stone path was laid a few years ago near where I live and it completely disappeared under the growth - at least 1 metre of the hard shoulders on the main road that runs parallel have disappeared under the grass (and they're walked on), so there you go!

Again, wise up mate!

Quaderno wrote: »
    <snip>As for the grass: sheep might be an option...

...well I wouldn't like to be walking or cycling through their leftovers!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Surely a 2/3 meter wide "pathway/cycleway" would have been sufficient (as opposed to a 6 meter "roadway") ?

Sorry, seriously I thought you were joking.
    ...and why would motorists want to mount footpaths anyway? The greenway we're talking about here is wide enough for two cars to pass comfortably. Depending how practical it is, the issue of speed might be tackled by average speed cams etc.

I think you answered your self in the first sentence, this is a dedicated footpath and cyclepath, the idea of which is to try and get people to walk and cycle more. Why would anyone want cars on it? Surly this would defeat the purpose no ?
    Are you seriously suggesting that you close a footpath/cycleway to pedestrians at night time? Although there might be enough room for two cars to pass there would not be enough room for pedestrians, cyclists and cars at the same time, so it would required that either pedestrians and cyclists use the road inline with cars or else they are bared for it at night.

Plus as you can see from the pictures this is as straight as a die and with only entrances at either end that would be on hell of a mecca for boy racers ! ie once a car turned onto the route they would be able to see if there was another car on the road, and if not that is a ~3km straight run without interruption.

And what would be the benefits be in only having it available at night, when the other routes will be quite anyway.

BTW, a stone path was laid a few years ago near where I live and it completely disappeared under the growth - at least 1 metre of the hard shoulders on the main road that runs parallel have disappeared under the grass (and they're walked on), so there you go!

This is not rocket science, and there are plenty of examples where this works ok and on lesser trafficked paths than would be expected on this path, for example the other end of the line in county Limerick is fine.

Don't be stupid! frown.png
    Again, wise up mate!

Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise !

<snip>Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise !

...and what the hell use to pedestrians/cyclists would an overgrown greenway be - that is my primary concern! How is this infrastructure going to be maintained??? The authorities? - don't make me laugh!!! It is one thing to put in infrastructure, it's another thing keeping it there! Anyway, I'd be talking about the very quite hours so that very few pedestrians and cyclists would be compromised, and yet, the width of the greenway maintained - of course the priority is pedestrians / cyclists. There's also an alternative in getting people on the dole to do clearance work etc...

Again, this is not about providing for cars, this is about maintenance????

Got that mate???

I don't know what things are like up there in Meath but I am happy to tell you that at present Kerry CoCo/Tralee TC have to be commended in their record of keeping 100% of the cyclepaths and footpaths free from obstructions [ well that is apart from speed bumps, potholes, puddles and parked cars in cyclepaths, which I imagine would all then be an issue here if cars were allowed on the route ! ]

Again this is not an issue elsewhere so can't see it being an issue here, for example right at the end of this route is a off-road path [ie bounded on both side by grass] which suffers zero encroachment, and requires no motorists to help out with weeding duties at night.

Anyway lets say it does get over grown, even by 1 meter on both side, that still leaves us with a 4 meter path, hardly the end of the world ?

I still think it is a crazy idea, and of little benefit. Even if it did help keep down the weeds, it would probably take more effort from the council, ie someone would have to open and close the bollards/gates that would stop the cars using it during the day, and keeping in mind that there is a school along the route this would have to be done very early in the morning and very late at night [read double time hours] plus it is fine to say when it is quite but you would surly have to put a time on it.
    I would think that it would be used later in summer than winter, so I imagine the time would have to change depending on the time of year [and maybe even day to day, anyone know what night bingo is on in the clubhouse ?!]

...and what the hell use to pedestrians/cyclists would an overgrown greenway be - that is my primary concern! How is this infrastructure going to be maintained??? The authorities? - don't make me laugh!!! It is one thing to put in infrastructure, it's another thing keeping it there! Anyway, I'd be talking about the very quite hours so that very few pedestrians and cyclists would be compromised, and yet, the width of the greenway maintained - of course the priority is pedestrians / cyclists. There's also an alternative in getting people on the dole to do clearance work etc...

Again, this is not about providing for cars, this is about maintenance????

Got that mate???

Yes, and I will leave it at that, although I am still not convinced.
    But if you think you are on to something, there are routes like this
    all over the country [Mayo, Limerick, Cork, Dungarven, Dublin just a few off the top of my head] it might be worth suggesting your ideas to the local authorities there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Ok both Irish and Proud and Kingdumb are right on this one. I will try to post something later to illustrate what I mean and to set the context of how such things work elsewhere.

As a quick aside is that width of roadway what was applied for in Kerry CC's part 8 application?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pooka on wheels

Ok both Irish and Proud and Kingdumb are right on this one. I will try to post something later to illustrate what I mean and to set the context of how such things work elsewhere.

As a quick aside is that width of roadway what was applied for in Kerry CC's part 8 application?

6 Meters wide on the part 8 application.

Sounds wide but I think it will be needed with the amount of school kids walking / cycling to Mounthawk school.

The shared footpath /Cycleway on the adjoining fat mile is not wide enough at around 2 Meters. Try passing walkers with dogs on leads :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

That first section from Tralee is going to be very attractive - pallisade fencing, block walls (soon to be covered in graffiti) and wide enough for an articulated lorry. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

That first section from Tralee is going to be very attractive - pallisade fencing, block walls (soon to be covered in graffiti) and wide enough for an articulated lorry. :rolleyes:

I do agree!!! From the pics it's looks as though there is very little aesthetically to look forward to!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pooka on wheels

Those pictures dont do it justice.

I cycled the route from Mounthawk to Rock Street and back yesterday. Around two thirds of the route is through farmland. The area behind the fencing will be planted which will soften the impact. The only complaint that I would have is that the the route is VERY straight. A few gentle curves could have been introduced if the planting was alternated from side to side.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

RE: Allowing motorised access

Ok It is clearly not appropriate to allow unrestricted motorised access to "Greenways" or other forms of recreational walking and cycling routes. However, it is routine elsewhere to use roads to which some motor traffic has access as part of such routes.

In Germany and France, an established traffic reduction measure for local roads in both rural and urban areas is to prohibit any through traffic that does not have business there: in France, the ‘sauf riverains’ sign; in Germany, the ‘Anlieger frei’ and similar signage. This immediately eliminates rat runs without any physical re-engineering. The roads remain open to cyclists, who benefit from traffic-free routes that also provide short cuts unavailable to other commuters. In rural areas, these regulations permit the creation of extensive cycle routes where the only other traffic is local residents and farmers accessing their land.

This German sign creates just such a situation

233235.jpg[

The minor road in the background is open to cyclists and walkers and local farmers. If anyone tries to drive a motor vehicle along it for any other purpose than accessing land then they are committing an offence.

There is a need for similar “Residents/Agricultural traffic only” regulations in Ireland. This would not only form a resource for recreational cycling and tourism but would also make cycling and walking available to the residents of such roads. Excluding through traffic from country lanes makes those roads available for other purposes such as to allow children to walk and cycle to local schools. Ireland has a huge network of minor country roads that represents a huge untapped resource – allowing them to be dominated by speeding motor traffic seems a misuse of the resources that went into creating and maintaining these roads. The same applies to our residential streets in urban areas.

In the case of the Mounthawk to Rock Street section, a tunnel of spiked steel palisade fencing is unlikely to be attractive. Could some means not have been found of incorporating sections of this route into the adjacent housing estates? Allowing the use of sections by traffic within the estate - but not as a through route - might help improve social security after dark for instance.

Advertisement