Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee to Fenit Greenway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Quaderno wrote: »
    I just want to leave that here for future reference:

How convenient, for the silage bale owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Tralee Fenit cycle way is a joke at this stage. How long has it been in the making? 3, 4 or 5 years?

There are too many people acting like clowns.

It would be a great tourist attraction, meanwhile the whole thing reminds me of a scene from The Field.!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

will the Tralee - Listowel line ever reopen as a railway? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Haaaaaaaaaaa this is a complete joke !

the minister for tourism and transport has said he wants this route opened and will make money available. Then when money is offered the council say they don't have the resources.

And that bull about having to to concentrate on other routes, they have lost a 1/4 of a million euros funding for the Fenit route while twiddling their thumbs, plus the other routes are on private land.

Campaigners have been working to get the north Kerry line developed for 25 years now, priorities ? No they support a South Kerry project that has been on the scene a couple of years .

Twenty-five years GST here still
    Trying to get up that great big hill of hope
    For a destination

I realized quickly when I knew I should
    That the world was made up of this brotherhood of goombeenen
    For whatever that means

And so I cry sometimes
    When I'm lying in bed Just to get it all out
    What's in my head
    And I, I am feeling a little peculiar.

And so I wake in the morning
    And I step outside
    And I take a deep breath and I get real high
    And I scream from the top of my lungs
    What's going on?

And I say: HEY! yeah yeaaah, HEY yeah yea
    I said hey, what's going on?

And I say: HEY! yeah yeaaah, HEY yeah yea

ooh, ooh ooooooooooooooooh
    ooh, ooh ooooooooooooooooh

and I try, oh my god do I try
    I try all the time, in this institution

And I pray, oh my god do I pray
    I pray all sanctity
    For a revolution.

And so I cry sometimes
    When I'm lying bed
    Just to get it all out
    What's in my head
    And I, I am feeling a little peculiar

And so I wake in the morning
    And I step outside
    And I take a deep breath and I get real high
    And I scream from the top of my lungs
    What's going on?

And I say, hey hey hey hey

ooh, ooh ooooooooooooooooh ooooooooooooooooh

Twenty-five years I'm alive here still
    Trying to get up that great big hill of hope
    for a destination
    mmh mh

• Advertisement

Plus this South Kerry scheme may have more obstacles, that closed in 1960, and the land would have either been sold to landowners or will have been squatted on. Either way CIE have washed their hands of the Valentia Harbour branch a long time ago. It has ceased to be in State ownership.

Smells of diversionary tactics, 'oh, look over there...a giraffe'.

CIE should grow a pair and tell the squatters and nimbys on the north kerry and fenit branches to go stuff themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Plus this South Kerry scheme may have more obstacles, that closed in 1960, and the land would have either been sold to landowners or will have been squatted on. Either way CIE have washed their hands of the Valentia Harbour branch a long time ago. It has ceased to be in State ownership.

CIE should grow a pair and tell the squatters and nimbys on the north kerry and fenit branches to go stuff themselves.

CIE should grow a pair and tell the squatters and nimbys on the north kerry and fenit branches to go stuff themselves

Bring in the bulldozer!:D

Yes land was sold, and is now in private hands.

Just in case anyone doesn't know what is happening here, the funding that is on offer here is the National Cycle Network (NCN) Local Authority Funding Scheme
    The Minister for Public and Commuter Transport, Mr. Alan Kelly TD, has announced approximately €6.5m worth of funding to Local Authorities to deliver cycle routes under the second tranche of the National Cycle Network (NCN) Local Authority Funding Scheme 2014-2016.
    Applications are now being invited, from Local Authorities, under this Scheme.

And in case you are wondering what the National Cycle Network is, here is a nice map of it:

272309.png

From which you can clearly see that in Kerry the route comes south from Limerick along the railway to Tralee and then head east Cork via Killarney.

So the only project from the four they mentioned that is actually part of the NCN is the Ballyseedy/Tralee route, and the North Kerry railway is clearly part of the network.

If anyone knows anyone in Kerry Co Co can you show them this map as they obviously haven't seen it.

According to a report on Radio Kerry this morning North Kerry Abandoned Rail Line Action Group are no longer claiming ownership of the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

kingdumb wrote: »
    According to a report on Radio Kerry this morning North Kerry Abandoned Rail Line Action Group are no longer claiming ownership of the line.
    That would be great news. However, I don't see anything about it on Radio Kerry's website.

What I do see is this, which was posted last week ...
    A public meeting is being held in the Listowel Family Resource Centre at six o’clock this Saturday ... The North Kerry Abandoned Rail Line Group is just one of a number of organisations, including Kerry’s Oireachtas members invited to Saturday evening’s meeting. Maps of the proposed route will be on display, as well as a survey of residents who live along the proposed extension to the route.

and this, which was posted yesterday.
    A recent canvas saw members of the Great Southern Trail meet with landowners in order to hear their concerns about the proposed walkway.

Cathaoirleach Liam O Mahony says while the meeting was well attended, they are disappointed at the lack of representation by Kerry County Councillors and management.

Hopefully some common sense has dawned on the objectors.

It was on Kerry Today, one of the Pierce's was on talking about the meeting held there on Sunday. Doesn't seem to be on the podcast.
    serfboard wrote: »
    That would be great news. However, I don't see anything about it on Radio Kerry's website.

What I do see is this, which was posted last week ...

and this, which was posted yesterday.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Tralee TC are to proceed with extending the greenway from Rock St to Edward St, which will also link in with the river walkway to Brewery Road. Should be going to public consultation this side of Christmas.

Had a little cycle along what has been done so far over the weekend, seems a decent enough job, despite the 'bad part of town' style security railings everywhere.
    Small bit of dog crap and a trespass sign of dubious legal standing on the gateway beyond, that was all.

Drove the remainder of the route, or rather alongside it. Some cheeky bugger made a nice little gated boatyard from himself out of the former Fenit station throat, elsewhere the route was overgrown in places but not totally impassable. A rather miserable looking cycleway was delineated by paint lines on the road.

Sean o'Rourke on RTE1 now talking about the North Kerry Lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Listen here http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20480643%3A15036%3A27%2D11%2D2013%3A

The voices of opposition get their say, I really can't see how a greenway could turn into a crime blackspot.

Where did you see/hear this
    ?
    Quackster wrote: »
    Tralee TC are to proceed with extending the greenway from Rock St to Edward St, which will also link in with the river walkway to Brewery Road. Should be going to public consultation this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Heard this yesterday morning and it was either a) hilarious or b) deeply disturbing :(
    The main objections were centred around hordes of criminals descending on north Kerry on foot or on their bikes, stealing everything within sight - including children!!
    There was also a mention of people having their privacy invaded etc and people walking through farmyards.
    When asked about the positive experience in west Limerick there were lots of ifs, buts, maybes, silences etc.
    Either someone is very skilfully spreading genuine fear and dread in the locals or else they are holding out for some form of monetary gain etc,,,
    Hopefully something can be sorted out before too long.

Sounds like a ridiculous combination of Bull McCabe, scaremongering and NIMBY-ism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Might be the potential for a nice little bike hire business for someone in Listowel down the line (pardon the pun), not to mention the possibility of B&Bs and such establishments benefiting from same, just look at the Mayo Greenway for evidence of this.

The farmer in that interview, fair enough he has security concerns, but then he says it would be great if they could find another route....good luck with that!

And that woman talking about her children being abducted, yeah...by cyclists and joggers and families out for a Sunday stroll with their buggies. CHRIST! Sure we might as well close all the roads too, in case the child snatchers are using them!

If people employed this type of thinking, nothing constructive would be done anywhere, ever.

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Might be the potential for a nice little bike hire business for someone in Listowel down the line (pardon the pun)

There is already one new a bike hire business on the Limerick side, although it is suspected locally that this is merely a cover for a (I see your pun and raise you) drug peddling operation.
    The farmer in that interview, fair enough he has security concerns, but then he says it would be great if they could find another route....good luck with that!

Ya he and the other woman have no issue with cycle/foot paths once they are built somewhere else, funny that.
    And that woman talking about her children being abducted, yeah...by cyclists and joggers and families out for a Sunday stroll with their buggies. CHRIST! Sure we might as well close all the roads too, in case the child snatchers are using them!

Ya what the hell is she on about, I used to do most of my child snatching by bike, but as I could only fix 2 in my panniers I now mostly use a car, isn't the new Listowel road great !

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2014/0406/20557460-construction-begins-on-connemara-greenway/

Everything said in that short news report is equally true for "our" greenway. Maybe it's about time to start another push? We really need to get this done already...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Had a look at the stretch done so far at Tralee, pity about the palisade fencing, that sure does look butt-ugly. Thought I was in Ballymun for a sec.

And imagine 'our area' being the focus of article like this....

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-79825331/

The whole project is gone beyond a joke at this stage.

It seems Tralee just got e1.3 million for cycle/pedestrian facilities, so hopefully this will kick-start something

Quaderno wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2014/0406/20557460-construction-begins-on-connemara-greenway/

Everything said in that short news report is equally true for "our" greenway. Maybe it's about time to start another push? We really need to get this done already...

That stuff ain't cheap either !

Had a look at the stretch done so far at Tralee, pity about the palisade fencing, that sure does look butt-ugly. Thought I was in Ballymun for a sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

From Kerry's Eye:

Good news for Tralee: the town is to receive over €2 million through the Active Travel Towns programme, which is designed to improve cycling infrastructure within towns.

It will improve cycling connections to and from schools, introduce traffic calming measures and in some cases allow for the development of on and off-road greenways in the town.

According to Labour TD Arthur Spring, a proposed 6 km cycleway from the Forge Cross to Blennerville with the aim of connecting the Institute of Technology Tralee with Blennerville, via Tralee town centre, is included in the programme of works to be carried out.

This programme is co-funded with €1.3 million provided to Tralee making Tralee the highest recipient of all the towns in Ireland. The rest of the $0.9 million funding is being provided by Kerry County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

^ you could pay them to cycle on the proper cycle ways but they will still use the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

^ you could pay them to cycle on the proper cycle ways but they will still use the road...

And they'd be well within their rights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

xxyyzz wrote: »
    It will improve cycling connections to and from schools, introduce traffic calming measures and in some cases allow for the development of on and off-road greenways in the town.

They'd be better off getting a gard or a traffic warden at to go to the schools at peak time. At mounthawk, its difficult enough to navigate through in a car, never mind a bike. Cars parked in the cycle lanes on both sides of the road, on top of the pedestrian crossing and on three out of the four entrances to the roundabout.

Advertisement