Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Star Trek thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Discovery officially lasting longer than Enterprise, Lower Decks getting a 4th and I think Strange New Worlds getting a second but I'm not sure.

• That such a pile of crap, which has shown zero improvement, gets to pass a show finding its feet is horrendous. Versus a show that was on a massive upward spike in quality/potential.

Especially considering that Ent was cancelled because the morons in charge couldn't read delayed ratings from TIVO

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

There's no accounting for taste I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

True. Some people think it's acceptable to put pineapple on your Gagh!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'd certainly agree with you. It kind if feels like a feature of the current TV Environment verses 10-odd years ago. Before it was all about Neilsen Ratings and Ad revenue, and now it's all about top-loading your streaming platform with Exclusive Content, and as much of that as possible.

Across the board it really feels like a battle of quantity over quality with every other month having an advertised Netflix/Disney+/HBOmax/Paramount+ Exclusive new series / movie. It's exhausting enough as a consumer, and I can only imagine the hellscape the production companies exist in these days.

So with all that in mind, I'm not surprised that Discovery is getting more seasons. They can just keep churning out episodes so that they can announce new seasons / episodes of Trek in the mad scramble not to be wiped out by the other platforms, quality be damned (I guess). I fully expect at this stage to see at least the traditional Trek 7-season run for Discovery...and possibly even more if they are stuck / feckless enough.

At least Lower Decks is still going for at least 2 more seasons, some good news there.

Post edited by Rawr on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Enterprise was crap too in fairness. You could tell by the end of Voyager that Berman's gang had run out of ideas.

• Season 3 was better than anything Voyager ever put out and S4 mini arcs within an over arc were fantastic

Many Coto had it nailed down

The Xindi crisis can't even hold a candle to the Dominion War.

• No-one said it does.

Dominion War was allowed to breathe over several seasons.

Xindi was a rapid closure of Temporal arc mistake. It also holds up very well in today's streaming view style.

S4 of Ent was bringing what it always should have been Earth Vs Romulus and birth of The Federation

One ship in one season vs build up across four seasons and two of open war involving the entire quadrant is hardly a fair comparison. If Enterprise had gotten seven seasons I wouldn't be surprised if the Earth-Romulan war would have given the Dominion War a run for its money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Coto certainly had good ideas but no show runner was ever gonna fix the boring crew and terrible captain. He did at least drive the focus towards the only 2 good characters in Trip and T'Pol.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So this arrived today....

Yep, the XL version..

Definitely better in XL - here she is with her regular size sisters - probably better scaled with the original 1701:

I hummed and hawwed when it first came out but then it was sold out anyway so I went for the regular version, but Eaglemoss had a sale just before Christmas and it was back in stock so it only cost me €135.. Nuts? Maybe, but still awesome! 😁

Will stick up another pic or two tomorrow in better light 😊

Seems almost obligatory to post this whenever a gold Enterprise D is shown :)

Be sure to keep your Phaser Rifle away from it....

Some daytime pics as promised..

I don't think I'll get them all in XL (not at the price), though I've always loved the Excelsior/Lakota, so when that gets made...

• Ha I've literally (and I mean minutes ago) just finished watching Paradise Lost

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sigh. Nope. I've ranted about it before like a broken record, but I still see that moment and can't work out what Picard was even trying to do here. My film-nerd brain just laughs at what's supposed to be a big, emotional moment.

Finally tipped over the edge and had an irrational angry outburst.

I can see what you mean. Also physically the scene is a bit of a mess. You notice that he starts off building up to a violent thrust and then we cut to him kind of just flinging his arm back at the glass.

I’m guessing that’s a stunt extra doing the actual smashing movement, which is why we only see the arm. It’s hard not to notice after seeing the gif a few times :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes it's obvious what is happening, but Picard then intentionally stretched over towards the glass case that was not near him; hardly the gesture of a mindless outburst. The geography of the scene is badly structured, while when we cut to the glass, as Rawr says, the rifle has kinda flopped out of Picard's hand. Presumably the shatter happened from from a remote device.

Maybe the only good take was that and they hadn't the time or money to put another pane of glass into the case. They realised Stewart should have been closer but hey, they had more scenes to shoot

It's such a small, stupid thing to care about but yeah ... the scene wanted me to go "oh my he has lost it", when instead I'm like WTF?

• Advertisement

It's not perfect by any means but sometimes in an outburst like that you want to break something not just hit something. So awkwardly flailing isn't as far from reality as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Imagine being the stunt extra called to do that lol. Studio: Hey we want you to come break a pain of glass do you think you can do it? S.E: Ye sure no problem.

Lol

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Studio: So we’d like you to play Captain Picard-

Stunt Extra: wow! No way!

Studio: -‘s arm. Captains Picard’s arm…for one frame.

Stunt Extra: Oh….alright :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I did an a capella rendition of the Enterprise

The same song features on an amazing game I made (you'll need Pycharm to run it and it's a bit of a headache to start, but if you figure it out well done! You can play it while this song runs for eternity!)

https://github.com/boredome/The-Greatest-Game-Ever-Made

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Once again I've restarted Deep Space Nine, and I'm up to S2:E1 Homecoming.

In just a few episodes they're able to establish the entire Star Fleet cast, give a background on the Cardassian and Bajoran war, Odo's background and all the side characters like Jake, Keiko and Rom.

It truly baffles me, that despite being numerous seasons in Discovery and a few re-watches, we know so damn little about the background characters, and honestly a lot of their names.

And I'm not just poking at Discovery here, I'm finding the same with ST: Picard too in fairness. It feels like the focus of ST (and other shows) is far to much on the drama and exposition than the actual characters and their stories

It's the shorter seasons. No time for episodes like the Storyteller even though it's pretty bad and doesn't really matter overall it still has some good Bashir and O'Brien characterisation.

Shorter seasons can also focus a story, and prevent the horrible drift of wheel-spinning you'll see on some shows. 13 episodes are more than enough to establish any given ensemble's depth - it just requires the will or runway to do so. Discovery either cannot - or will not - allow single episodes to be focused on (say) Detmer, so the bridge crew go unstoried.

• Expanse was full of character moments/episodes. No excuse for it other than Disc has to be the Burnham show and the only characters getting time are related to her story arc

Honestly, I think 13 episodes is the sweet spot these days for a TV drama. No filler, but still long enough to give writers the room to expand or develop a cast - but not too long either, that you gotta contrive a constant series of dramas (that necessitate a reset button each week). 10 is OK, 8 feels a touch too short (while the 6 we got for The Expanse wasn't near enough) When you think about it, the TNG crew should have been gibbering messes, consigned to desk duty years ago for the constant stream of punishment they endured. Cos those 24 episodes required something dramatic happening each week!

• Advertisement

That was one weak thing about the reset every episode, sometimes it went a bit too far. Take Chain of Command. I reckon that should have scarred Picard worse than the Battle of Wolf 369, yet next episode Ship in a Bottle, Picard is back in his chair and on his merry way. He should have been out for 6 months at least. Can't remember the episode title but the Worf back injury claim that should have killed him. Like nothing happened next time out.

Advertisement