Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Paramount have been pretty strict with the people who kept going during the 20 years they stopped giving a sht

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Rawr

Can't remember if this one has been shared before...but I'm feeling festive :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

And stuff like that is why the internet exists. Outstanding

Oh I needed that, today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That disco scene is a total farce but the Ent-D is unbelievably huge on the inside given the known dimensions.

850,000 square meters of floor space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwx5uB0pyhQ

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A trailer for a new Trek video game; it's from ex Telltale Devs, who made The Walking Dead and Batman narrative video games. Looks exactly the same format, but their choice mechanics could play well in the Trek universe... main characters look a little bland; you'd think they would have more aliens or the like.

They went for a late TNG-era style? Interesting (strokes imaginary beard). Probably means nothing, but it's interesting to see the direction the Trek licencing is taking. Did the developers recon that the good money was to avoid leaning into the "Discovery" style and instead follow the lead of Lower Decks into familiar pre-Nemsis Trek territory?

Had to watch without the sound. I should give it a listen later. Discovery-era music? Interesting mish-mash of styles there. Visually it didn't look much like the current batch of live-action Trek.

Could be down to licensing. They were possibly only given a certain block of Trek music to play with by CBS and thus went with something from the newer shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Interesting.

I've played the first couple of chapters of The Walking Dead and it's a little patchy. The continuity was... well, pretty much absent, to be honest. Day 1, society is completely normal, just lots of sirens. Day 2, everywhere is abandoned and society has gone completely to hell.

"Wait, what - we're only 3 months in to zombie apocalypse but we've already gone full cannibal - including keeping the meat source alive?" - the source at least waited several seasons before going there! :-D

Still, that was their first game, I think, so hopefully they've learned and improved over the last few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I was never a fan of the studios onther games. Making them episodic meant you had to funnel the players back to the roughly the same position before the next episode came out. But if this is a stand alone game there's scope for radically different branches.

Is it just me or does the ship look like a Centaur Type?

Ms

Yes it does look like that alright.

Any idea what platforms this game will be on? It looks OK.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just watched the second episode of the last season of Lost in Space, and on reflection maybe this show has managed to be "Action Star Trek" far better than the actual IP. It's exciting and structured far better than Trek is ATM.

The action feels organic and thought out, rather than empty 'splosions. The characters use their brains to monkey patch solutions in the manner of Trek (minus the techno babble); while the FX and cinematic framing just works far better than the glossy but shallow visuals of Discovery.

Maybe whoever adapted Lost in Space should be given a Trek gig now that the former has wrapped. They seem to understand how to build threat and excitement better than Paradise and co.

One flaw of Lost In Space is that Judy is basically Michael but with self doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

You're not the first person I've heard that says that show is worth a watch actually.

I know this isn't the point of your post (and to be fair I do intend to give the LIS reboot a try) but every time I see of something being remade it makes me think "I haven't seen the original in a while" and what usually happens is I buy it and enjoy it a million times more than the new version!

So that's prompted me to getting the complete 60s Lost in Space series on DVD I guess...

Ah I dunno, I think they let her actions do the talking while being front and centre about her being the overachiever. Plus nobody stands around waxing poetic about how inspiring Judy is. They're too busy solving whatever just blew up.

It's a good reboot in that it swerves in a totally different direction to the camp silliness of the original series. The reboot is far more about survival within various wildernesses, or whatever poor luck befouled the crew. It would have more in common with McGuyver for that; lots of ad-hoc solutions with wires and duct tape.

The only real camp is how Dr.Smith is played by Parker Posey, who has a constant sly approach.

Ms

I agree the reboot is really good but am struggling to get through season 3. It just does not seem as good as the last two seasons. Maybe it was the long break between seasons that has thrown me off. I intend to buy it in DVD or Blu Ray when it comes out and watch it all again. I agree with the point about it being more Star Trek than the current Star Trek IP and yes I hope Paramount get whoever was involved in this for the next film and the next series too. Maybe we should start a partition about it and send it to Paramount and CBS.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I saw this promotional photo for Discovery, and ... yikes. Not like Trek doesn't lack some properly "alien" creatures but while the prosthetics are good, they're completely undercut by the rest of the body being very obviously a normal human being (with snooker referee gloves). Just makes the head look like nothing bit a prop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

To be fair, that's probably an "extra" that's meant to be on screen for all of 2 seconds. If they were a guest character with a story plot it'd be different.

I am the only one thinking tentacle arms would fit with the head?

Ms

Such a pity there was not a film justly about thr Borg. I imagine it would have to have been released before Voyager ruined the Borg and maybe around Halloween sometime. Imagine Stat Trek: Borg The scariest film you will see in the cinema all year and maybe even for the next decade.

Just going by the Borgs perception of things no Queens yet either. Could have been a very dark and gritty film maybe see them assimilate some Federation ships and some Romulan ships as well as some Klingon and Cardassian ones and then maybe destroy a few Kazon ones because they are not worthy of assimilation.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

What ?

Is FC not a movie about the Borg. Ok it's not from their point of view but zombie movies rarely are

Ms

Yes it is. I just think it's a pity we never got another one that's all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Don't want to derail the Star Trek forum too far but have finished The Orville for now and really liked it. Quite like Lower Decks, does good sci-fi but each of the lead writers humour traits come through in the funny moments. It's very clearly a Seth MacFarland show. Moclans are somewhere between Klingon warriors and Ferengi chauvinists. The Zeleyans are an interesting race but why write out one security chief and replace her with practically the same character? Watching Doctor Phlox burning the hand of the EMH was quite disturbing but fun to see them share screen time.

I'd love to see Mike McMahon and Seth do a script swap. Mike write an Orville episode and Seth write a Lower Decks one, maybe even guest voice.

Halston Sage and Seth MacFarlane allegedly started dating and there's speculation that as a result of MeToo producer/cast relationships are discouraged so she left. No one involved with the Orville has ever given a concrete reason as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The Orville is so weird. It’s simultaneously ripping off TNG episodes and poking fun at TNG era Trek but also highlighting how fantastic it is.

I think the early scripts were played as parody but as the show went on it takes itself more serious.

Really looking forward to the return. The Orville and Lower Decks are my favourite Trek shows right now. The Orville is a Trek show in my eyes, just without branding. It’s like a Skoda, it’s basically a VW but not.

I think if we had a "true" and liked live action Trek show there wouldn't be this love for such a weird, off brand knock-off of Trek. I tried to get into Orville but its slavish devotion to TNG, down to the flat lighting and 80s TV aesthetics just made me want to watch the real thing instead. The worst kind of nostalgia IMO; the wallowing kind.

Also doesn't help I have an irrational, deep rooted dislike of Seth MacFarlane, and is a walking embodiment of failing upwards

• Advertisement

But a "true" live action Trek would probably be a flop. The off brand style you are referring to is sadly what's popular now. Trek can work absolutely fine in the Discovery format if it just had someone between in the writing, directing and art/sfx department.

Orville is at its best when semi serious. I don't think McFarlane's humour works on this show.

Advertisement