Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Rawr

Very true about the 32nd Century stuff. I can't for the life of me develop any kind of attachment with that era of Trek that they're trying to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am not. I think if done in the right time, done right and with respect what has come before and after them then they could be good and fit into the Star Trek Universe we know and love.

I agree with Rawr,

Quote: If they had any cop-on about these kind of things (a stretch i know...), they should have tried setting something in the "Lost Era" (Gap between TOS Movies and TNG). There we've got a whole period of time that's mostly open canon-wise. They'd be using the TOS Movie uniform and we'll see things slowing going towards the TNG style. We've got things like the Enterprise C, the Tomed Incident and maybe even early unreported first contacts with the Borg. (They existed as rumours & legend when the Hansens went out looking).

That whole era is a mostly open book and as long as you don't step on TNGs toes you could make all kinds of story-arcs that might be good. Quote

I would love to see a show set in that era too.

Quote:Very true about the 32nd Century stuff. I can't for the life of me develop any kind of attachment with that era of Trek that they're trying to show. Quote

The same here.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

I'd love to see some mini series or specials. "TV movies" even.

A bit more creative freedom and ability to depict an event or situation or character(s) in some depth.

Imagining what they could have done with Picard if they knew it was 5 or 6 and done. A much tighter story, less characters to focus on. Less contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

TV movies seem to have been dropped except by Hallmark. In the 90s there was usually the opposite problem of an epic novel shoe horned into a movie when it needed mini series.

Now we often have the bloat of an interesting concept stretched to 6 or 10 episodes, with the loss of focus, dilution and red herrings / weak side plots needed to extend it.

I see the description for quite a few series that I would watch as a movie or 2 parter but amn't going to spend a week on.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Has this been mentioned before? I haven't heard anything about it?

Exclusive: Star Trek Series About USS Republic In Development

Our source shared that the new Star Trek series will show how the USS Republic was built. We weren’t able to confirm what aspects will be explored by that. It sounds like a safe bet that the project they have in development will take place before Captain Kirk steps on board. It’ll be interesting to see how they develop aspects of the ship. For years, people involved with the franchise have confirmed details about the USS Republic, but there isn’t a lot known in the way of canon seen on screen. Will a lot of those details be honored? We don’t have answers to that, but it will be interesting to see.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm sure you're all sick of me posting this but an anthology series is the answer. It gets around having to carve out enough of a niche to wedge in an entire series worth of stories in any particular era, allows you to explore things like the lost years which as Rawr pointed out are very thin, and as the ultimate bonus if you get a terrible lead they're gone in the next episode. Making them TV movie length or two-parters would allow for something a little more complex too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I wouldn't mind it being Janeway as she's still young enough to continue serving as an admiral in starfleet.

Even a one off short season about her flagship or dealing with a political scenario from her perspective. Doesn't have to be fending off war but possibly even dealing with the consequences of the Utopia Planetia yards.

Would be far better than the current lot as it would still involve a post Nemesis story but set within Starfleet - unlike Picard and the band of merry rogues.

EDIT: would also be a big fan of a whole new crew set in the post nem era. Once it has some shared time between the crew and not the Michael Burnham show approach.

Kind of realised I'm looking for something as excellent as Lower Decks but not animated and a little more serious in tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Double Post. Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'de love to see a new crew as well. No baggage from prequels, links to old shows any surprise relations of Spock or other memberberries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Conceptually it's a fine idea, it's only that as a production it would be prohibitively expensive given how many new sets, cast, locations, costumes, FX would be needed every season. Sci-fi being pretty expensive at the best of times without having to reset things every week; people don't think of it as one but Doctor Who functions as a broad anthology series - but the budget is comparatively tiny, with many "bottle episodes" filling a year's run.

• Advertisement

As series standing on its own it would be very expensive but with all the live action Star Trek in production or in the pipeline it gets less expensive. TNG/DS9/Voyager redressed the same few starship sets countless times to decent enough results.

This is the bridge of the Nightingale from the Voyager episode of the same name, can you guess what bridge set it was originally? This is the best picture I could find online but you could skim the episode for a better look.

It's the Defiant

If Voyager can do that for an episode I don't see why it wouldn't be possible now.

Ms

Some great ideas here. If only someone from Paramount/CBS were reading this then maybe we would get far better Star Trek.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh it's not impossible, it just presents more challenges than a standard serialised show. You could reuse sets, assuming they're still present and built, but you still need a host of other once offs. Plus, with something like Trek the main problem would probably be: what does a production do when - inevitably- one episode vibes more than others? There'll be clamour for THAT to get its own show

Of course it's funny cos Discovery was meant to be an anthology when Bryan Fuller had his traditional 5 minutes in charge before leaving a production. So maybe the apparatus were there

Ms

Here is something that always bugged me about TNG nearly after every episode they fly on over to some star station or starbase even when the ship has not been in conflict or damaged like after "Unnatural Selection" for instance.

Do you think this would have lasted if were made today? I doubt it. I know I for one would have been complaining about it after all they are supposed to be out further than anyone else away from the starbases.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I haven't particularly noticed that at the end of every episode but I got the distinct impression that while the Kirk's Enterprise was supposedly on a deep space exploration mission, the Enterprise-D was primarily a diplomatic vessel concerned with matters closer to home.

I think it fleshed out the universe a little. We only got to see the exiciting or interesting parts of the mission there's plenty of routine stuff that goes completely to plan.

Huh; all this talk of anthologies and ...

"There's something that I like, which I think Robert Kirkman is doing right now with The Walking Dead, which is a kind of... I'll call it Tales Of The Federation, where you would just do one-offs, right?" he explains. "So you could bring George Takei back for an hour, and do a show about Sulu as an older man, or find Jonathan Archer having now retired from his Enterprise and being on Earth, just do these certain really interesting ones."

He continues, "You could grab anybody, from all the shows, because it's really hard to find enough for a series, but there are an endless amount of episodes, as anthology series are finding their way back. They were sort of a staple when I was a boy. A Star Trek-based one of those I think would be super fun."

Obviously, it just reads like Goldsman spitballing - while he's a bloody terrible writer & director anyway so wouldn't get too excited. But still. Funny it should pop into the public discourse after this thread blathered about the very topic the other day!

He's not wrong. I think he's capable of writing something good, he wrote a Time to Kill which I watched a few weeks ago and it held up pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Official poster released

Edit: Thought there was a Strange New Worlds Thread, but cannot find it?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

I'll reserve judgement on the show but that poster is a fairly nonsensical.

Hmmm.. frontier... wild west.. put a horse in there! Yeah, "wagon train to the stars", 'member? Better get the Enterprise in shot too though. And a planet! Yeah, make it two. Perfect!

• Advertisement

Yeah there was and this was the link cos I was the last to post there:

@Sad Professor think you're the man to ask?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yes it seems to have disappeared. Maybe someone deleted it by mistake. I’ll check with admins see if there’s anything they can do

Ha...there do seem to be touching on a good few TOS themes there in that poster. One of the better posters they've done in a while...I hope that's not where all of the effort went though.

But May 5? Much sooner than I expected. Would they not want to put some air between this show, Discovery & Picard? Using up all of their Trek properties in quick succession seems a little wreckless of them. (If it turns out to be good, I'm not one to complain..it's just seems a little...panic-y)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Fantastic news: we asked; they listened. Hot on the heels of Space Hitler spinoff, we're getting a Tilly spinoff! https://trekmovie.com/2022/02/01/report-star-trek-starfleet-academy-series-next-in-line-after-section-31/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's still all "ifs, buts & maybes". The Academy show has been rumoured for ages now as a 23/24th century show but has changed now cause of Tilly's little side arc.

Both are terrible ideas with really limited scope that will get boring fast. At best there is a miniseries worth of stories unless maybe they do Academy as a full on kids show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Thanks for that. Saved me all the bother of anticipating it, reading about it, and watching it! 🙄

There's also a good chance all these are "fishing expeditions"; throw out some candid, public comments about a proposed show idea ... and see what the response in Social Media is like. If the response is transparently negative, then it can stay in production limbo a little while longer...

Possibly, but I fear that you may be giving them too much credit of possessing that much wit.

I fear that a Tilly Academy show is really being pursued as a way to pad out their production list with something they can churn out cheaply with existing Discovery sets and cast. Also considering that Picard has only one more season left, and if Strange New Worlds does not land well, then they've got all of the their live-action Trek eggs stuck in the Discovery basket...which isn't the best place to hinge your entire franchise...especially if they ever actually pull the plug on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

For the Poster, yeah, they are really leaning in hard into the whole "Frontier" aspect alright. Bit on the nose :) I get it, Pike is definitely in the whole Space Cowboy mould. Not quite Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly (Shoot first, ask questions... maybe). But the Trek equivalent. That and trying to humanise the show: Discovery's characters are SUCH ideals that they are unrelatable. (Obviously Burnham in particular). There is NO character development. Any initially interesting character immediately gets neutered (Jason Isaacs' interesting take on a Captain. Mirror universe. Sigh. Book: decent guy, interesting. Now Burnham fawn. This is definitely the result of poor writing and.... Well, we all know Discovery.

TNG was the same (To a lesser degree). Certainly at the start. Some of this was down to Roddenberry, some down to writing in general and some just down to writers, actors, everyone getting to know their characters. Compare Riker and Picard from Season 1 to Season 7.

But then came DS9. VERY human characters (Regardless of their species). Sure, I think it swung a bit TOO far for American audiences but went down well here. Put it this way, I don't think you'll see anyone on another Trek show giving Sisko's "Pale Moonlight" monologue on another Trek show. The confidence and lack of handwringing.

So I think BNW is going to try to bring back real human beings (Again, regardless of species, you know what I mean). Plus, HOPEFULLY, it's gonna bring back the FUN!!!

And as for the Academy series. I heard they announced it. Have been talking about one for YEARS. Could be fun and interesting. It's in Disco timeline? Ah jeez. Lost interest (And in Disco Section 31)

• Advertisement

Thjay had announced sometime last year that this year would have a new episode of Star Trek almost every week.

Advertisement