Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭Inviere

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Just because Trek can appeal to all ages doesn't mean it's not still ok to have a kids show.

I think the point is that it never needed one to hook younger audiences in. Of course its OK to have one, the hope is that it's just handled well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭Rawr

Yeha I agree with above. My four year old is really getting into Trek clips. Although probably confuses a lot of people at the playground when he screams the Borg are coming while on the swings.

(Kids running around)

Valeyard Jr: Tag! Now you’re assimilated!

Kid 2: No *you* are assimilated!

Valeyard Jr: Nope! (Pssst) There! I took an Anti-Borg hypo-spray!!

Kid 2: Hey! No Voyager Borg!!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,320 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Inviere wrote: »
    I think the point is that it never needed one to hook younger audiences in. Of course its OK to have one, the hope is that it's just handled well.

Of course we all hope it's handled well why would anyone hope it's handled badly.

Of course we all hope it's handled well why would anyone hope it's handled badly.

Nobody hopes it gets handled badly, relax with the strawman there. Picard, and Discovery, have not filled people with hope is all.

Nobody hopes it gets handled badly, relax with the strawman there. Picard, and Discovery, have not filled people with hope is all.

I loved Picard despite it's problems and Lower Decks filled me with lots of hope. Only Discovery really sucked and I'm not really using it as any kind of measure of this kids cartoon. I'm happy to wait until we have more than a poster before I start with the pessimism unlike some who seem all too ready to shoot it down before it starts

• Advertisement

I'm happy to wait until we have more than a poster before I start with the pessimism unlike some who seem all too ready to shoot it down before it starts

Such is the nature of media with vast fanbases like Star Trek has. Some will happily chew on any ****e with the name Trek in it. Others will hate everything that isn't shot in 4:3 with styrofoam rocks. Many are in the middle, enjoying some of the modern stuff, but not all of it. As I said twice already, if Prodigy actually turns out good, then great, thumbs up. If it ends up being garbage, those who don't enjoy it don't have to watch it. It really doesn't matter in the overall scheme of it.

Such is the nature of media with vast fanbases like Star Trek has. Some will happily chew on any ****e with the name Trek in it. Others will hate everything that isn't shot in 4:3 with styrofoam rocks. Many are in the middle, enjoying some of the modern stuff, but not all of it. As I said twice already, if Prodigy actually turns out good, then great, thumbs up. If it ends up being garbage, those who don't enjoy it don't have to watch it. It really doesn't matter in the overall scheme of it.

Those who don't enjoy still have to come on and derail every episode thread with regurgitated crap from Youtube edgelords though.

Those who don't enjoy still have to come on and derail every episode thread with regurgitated crap from Youtube edgelords though.

Such is the way with discussion forums....if you don't care to read the opinions of such people, then don't.

Such is the way with discussion forums....if you don't care to read the opinions of such people, then don't.

Its really not that simple. Threads that should be about transwarp conduits or something become meaningless whinging about "SJW virtue signallers" or similar nonsense that should be on the Donald Trump thread not the Trek one

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You seem to have completely made up your mind off one poster or your mind was made up before you ever even saw the poster.

And Pixelburp never said people who disagree with her are " idiots or pathetic" just that the actions of those sad incel fanboys are
    I haven't make up my mind on anything, I said "if" it has no resemblance.
    Every other ST show has followed the general idea of TOS. This, based on the poster is 100% unrelated to anything ST, they are boldly going where no one has gone before.

• Advertisement

Like I said, those who disagree are all idiots and pathetic right?
    Does every thread have to be a positive love in? What happened to the art of criticism? Shows like Discovery deserve criticism, it's very poorly done.

pixelburp wrote: »

Greebo made the assertion that Prodigy was some outlier for existing to just make money. That could be said of all Trek. Yes it has often had artistic merit but speculating that Prodigy is the first Trek to exist for money making purposes is naive. CBS/Paramount like money, and aren't making Discovery for the love ;)
    Wrong, I didn't say it was an outlier for making money. Everything is made to make money, but it doesn't all trade off an existing, successful brand while being totally unrelated, like this appears it could be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

GreeBo wrote: »
    Wrong, I didn't say it was an outlier for making money. Everything is made to make money, but it doesn't all trade off an existing, successful brand while being totally unrelated, like this appears it could be.

Well can we at least agree we both got each other wrong, if you're snipping half my post? Don't want to virtue signal, like. ;)

And the key word here is, "Appears". We know Janeway is coming back so to say the show is going to be totally unrelated isn't fair; IIRC the synopsis is the aliens discover an old Federation ship so unlikely the iconography will be that wildly different. Janeway probably plays a surrogate parent / quest giver role were I to guess. Best option is to wait and see for a trailer because everything else is speculation and presumption on a series of mugshots. With goofy, colourful design aesthetics clearly aimed at children. They wouldn't be what I'D have gone for but equally it's cool to see properly exotic aliens in Trek, the benefit of animation of course and one of the many joys of Lower Decks

It's a fecking poster lads

Like I said, those who disagree are all idiots and pathetic right?
    Does every thread have to be a positive love in? What happened to the art of criticism? Shows like Discovery deserve criticism, it's very poorly done.

Im not calling for a love in and there is little I like about Discovery. But there are people here who use it to whinge about "woke politics" and hate shows not based on the shows merits

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a fecking poster lads

I can see it now. The 40 minute YouTube video, "10 Things You Missed from Star Trek: Prodigy Poster". With the classic thumbnail of a big red arrow pointing at something utterly unrelated to the content. Like! Subscribe! Ring that bell!

I can see it now. The 40 minute YouTube video, "10 Things You Missed from Star Trek: Prodigy Poster". With the classic thumbnail of a big red arrow pointing at something utterly unrelated to the content. Like! Subscribe! Ring that bell!

And *SMASH* that Like Button! (very important)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

And the sequel video: 'Why Star Trek: Prodigy is a complete failure', the thumbnail will a pic of the poster with badly photoshopped memes pasted on top of it.

Getting very difficult to figure out who are the edgelords and who are mocking the edgelords on this thread. Maybe something to think about?

Getting very difficult to figure out who are the edgelords and who are mocking the edgelords on this thread. Maybe something to think about?

Pretty obvious to me

• Advertisement

Pretty obvious to me

Likewise!

Mocking YouTube is "edgelord" now? LOL, uh no. WTF even is this thread anymore?

So. Star Trek: Prodigy. The real question is: what kind of Janeway will we get? Given how infamous it was, just how much that character see-sawed across the series, you'd wonder where exactly Prodigy's writers will pitch things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

I think Janeway will end up like a Burnham light, as in always being right no matter what but without being the focus of every scene, the kids(?) will end up doing the legwork.

I'd prefer an antagonist do the wrong thing for the right reason future Janeway from Endgame with a hint of deranged flag officer that used to be a Star Trek mainstay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Evade wrote:
    I think Janeway will end up like a Burnham light, as in always being right no matter what

Fairly typical Star Trek captain fare really. Janeway was probably one of the more nuanced captains as in she made quite a lot of mistakes (and got the crew killed several times requiring a plot bailout).

Evade wrote: »
    I'd prefer an antagonist do the wrong thing for the right reason future Janeway from Endgame with a hint of deranged flag officer that used to be a Star Trek mainstay.

Now *that* could be very interesting. It was what I had hoped Starfleet would have been in Picard. Essentially a well-meaning antagonist who will use their might to try and stop the heroes of our story. Picard couldn't manage this and than dropped the ball entirely with a copy & paste fleet, but maybe this new show could pull that off.

The kids are flying off in their discovered / stolen old starship, while Admiral Janeway is hunting them down in an effort to protect them from themselves and stop their journey before they somehow kill themselves. In the process of all of this you might even have Janeway realise that the plight of these kids and her hunt of them has rekindled memories of Voyager.

Could be *very* good character dynamic there...*if* they do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Do you think Humans will ever overcome Bigotry and if so when? Archer said in Enterprise Season 2 Episode 14 title "Stigma" that humans had overcome Bigotry in the 2050s sometime but no exact date just about a century before that episode.
    Also do you think it would happen either before or after WW3? After WW3 probably makes more sense because if it was before it then what was the war about?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Do you think Humans will ever overcome Bigotry and if so when? Archer said in Enterprise Season 2 Episode 14 that humans had overcome Bigotry in the 2050s sometime but no exact date just about a century before that episode.

I think so, eventually; much of the bigotry we deal with today are "only" holdovers from embedded historical contexts we simply accept as the status quo. Like, I think we sometimes forget first and foremost Star Trek is an American show with an American sense of self: it's easy to forget that in the US, there are (just about) still people alive who lived through the Jim Crow era, or the Tuskegee Syphilis Study (well, I don't know if there are survivors, given the subject). Heck the US police force has origins in slavery enforcement. Bigotry is still part of the social consciousness, and healing takes time.

Dropping "the patriarchy" into the conversation can send folks running for the hills, but when you read of historical civilisations, it can really open the eyes to just how commodified women's lives were from country to country - and disentangling that cultural sense of lopsided equality takes time. If you want to get a sense of just how obscene it got, read a little on the history of women's medicine. It's ... astonishing how much women suffered simply because they were either not worth the hassle, or male doctors made ignorant assumptions about female bodies (and to pivot back to racism, the father of gynaecology made many of his discoveries by operating, without consent, on black slaves). There's a LOT of baggage to get rid of.

Right now, I see humanity as entering its adolescent phase; that awkward period when things go a bit insane as old ways are shaken off and a future tries to assert itself through wild swings in the opposite direction. And as much as people like to cry about SJWs or whatnot, I'd rather folks make mistakes through good intentions than the opposite.

As to the when? I dunno, 2050 feels incredibly optimistic. Archer spoke from a script written in the early days of the internet, probably by a bunch of white guys, and I myself swing wildly as to whether the internet is a Net Benefit to humanity or a Net loss. Whether it helps mend bigotry or create more instead. It certainly makes it _easier_ to be a bigot.

edit: did I take that answer too seriously? I can never telll :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

I'd imagine First Contact had a lot to do with it, nothing unites people like having another group to compete with. It's that old saying attributed to the Bedouin "I'm against my brother, I'm with my brother against my cousin, I'm with my brother and cousin against everyone else."

I'd imagine First Contact had a lot to do with it, nothing unites people like having another group to compete with. It's that old saying attributed to the Bedouin "I'm against my brother, I'm with my brother against my cousin, I'm with my brother and cousin against everyone else."

I'd generally agree with you (there's a first ;)), but ... in real life? These days? Maybe there's room for scepticism. I'm not even sure First Contact would rattle our cages enough anymore. For a start, you'd now have to reckon with a cohort of humanity that'd scream "FAKE NEWS" at a First Contact scenario; the world is burning and half the internet wants to demean and scream at the teenager acting as ambassador against climate collapse. While Star Trek's general allergy towards the subject of earth religions, ignores that other likely scenario that the event would cause a huge schism among religions across the globe. Possibly causing some serious regional conflicts to properly kick-off. There'd be a lot of very nervous generals, looking for any excuse to finally give their neighbours a good licking

• Advertisement

The Bedouin were clearly GAA fans

Advertisement