Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

RESULT!

:D

aw but wobblyknees is such a nicer username :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

missbelle wrote: »
    RESULT!

:D

aw but wobblyknees is such a nicer username :p

Yes, as in the girls get wobbly knees when they see what I look like. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Decided to join OKC a few weeks back, it’s a nice site but there's not too many on it. POF has a terrible interface in fairness; I actually thought there was something wrong with the site. I only started it using it properly at the weekend, uploaded pics and that. Are most people using the free version of it or what?

Anyway have being chatting to a few on OKC but nothing major, haven't sent out many messages to be honest. POF seems to have better in terms of the numbers but I’m just browsing for the moment.

Katy Perry lookalike, gotta say I’m intrigued given the Zooey Deschanel comparison which people make.

Anyway hopefully it goes well, I’ll keep ye posted I guess. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Right thats it, I'm staying single until prince charming on a white horse comes along.

Just got a reply from a guy..... are you a bold girl?
    just out of the blue, not even flrty chat before hand

and another

'im cumming looking at your pic'

thats me finnito. Unless I move to Dublin cause theres no real people on pof in my area

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

booboo88 wrote: »
    Right thats it, I'm staying single until prince charming on a white horse comes along.

Just got a reply from a guy..... are you a bold girl?
    just out of the blue, not even flrty chat before hand

and another

thats me finnito. Unless I move to Dublin cause theres no real people on pof in my area

sleezzzyy!

Did you see what was on their profile as you can stop those who are looking for "intimate encounters" from messaging you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

and another

Who ever said romance is dead?

Still though, impressive that he can ****, and type, and click send all at the same time.

Misticles wrote: »
    sleezzzyy!

Did you see what was on their profile as you can stop those who are looking for "intimate encounters" from messaging you.
    Already had it done.
    oeb wrote: »
    Who ever said romance is dead?

Still though, impressive that he can ****, and type, and click send all at the same time.
    I'd say he's had years of practice:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Just dropping in to say happy christmas and stuff to all ya'all.

hope the online dating thread continues to have success stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Im meeting up with newbie for some Christmas shopping, wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

A combination of being utterly shattered and drink hitting me way harder and faster than it normally does resulted in me calling my date by the wrong name (she has the name surname as one of my work colleagues and I was midstory about something reminding me of work so out popped the wrong first name). :o

Still got a second date though. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

booboo88, you should report offensive messages. Their profiles will be deleted (of course they can re-reg, but its the principal of the thing - I cant stand how decent people are scared off by the pervs/weirdos/scumbags)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I must be doing something wrong? I've tried pof, okc and anotherfriend and nothing! Well almost nothing, I had one reponse from a girl who's living in Japan. I'm a guy living in Co. Cork and I've sent messages to numerous girls from Cork and Limerick and a few others further a field and nothing!
    I've personalised the messages (at the start I'd sent a few generic ones) and still nothing.
    Anyone else find it like this? Do I need to spend months on these sites? I've been on all three for about 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Ha I imagined a group of fake people living around the rest of the country :pac:

Have you tried OK Cupid or any of the others? POF would give me a headache just looking at it, let alone the "interesting" characters on it.

Ha I imagined a group of fake people living around the rest of the country :pac:

Have you tried OK Cupid or any of the others? POF would give me a headache just looking at it, let alone the "interesting" characters on it.
    Sadly I'm on both :o
    okc doesnt seem to have many people in cork:(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 murhatchi

Had first date from the web yesterday, went for a drink at 6 and stayed at it until nearly 10pm :) Good start! This was via POF which I was about to give up on, also have registered on maybefriends as a paid member. Just a theory but maybe those that pay for the sites are a bit more serious and sincere (not a sweeping generalization but some of the profiles on POF.....well ..:confused:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Sadly I'm on both :o
    okc doesnt seem to have many people in cork:(

Ah that sucks. Sometimes it is worth taking a break for a while in order to wait for "fresh meat" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I don't see what's wrong with the pof interface? Easy to see people from your area and if someone doesn't fill in their profile with interesting stuff it's not someone I'd be interested in anyways :)

caesar wrote: »
    Katy Perry lookalike, gotta say I’m intrigued given the Zooey Deschanel comparison which people make.

Thanks, but I don't look anything like either of those lovely ladies :(
    Except that I have dark hair & blue eyes :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

missbelle wrote: »
    Thanks, but I don't look anything like either of those lovely ladies :(
    Except that I have dark hair & blue eyes :D

PM link to profile? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

PM link to profile? :pac:

+1 :P

• Advertisement

link sent ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

ok so - single for the last 6 months or so, and decided to give POF a go after slating people in the past about online dating, but it was worth a shot. I've never needed it before but I moved away for someone and we broke up and now I'm living somewhere where I don't know that many people. I never had a problem hooking up with girls before but it just ain't happening lately.
    Anyway, I've sent a lot of messages to a lot of attractive ladies and rarely get a response, if I do we usually mail back and forth until they either just stop responding, or if I mention meeting up I am then ignored - so I don't know why they bother replying in first place! I did have one date, she was nice, met her again but it was too awkward, so i didn't contact her again after that.

Anyway, the whole exercise is just making me feel worse about myself, with being ignored by most, especially when you see they've viewed your profile - i think i'm a good guy, good looking, and I try and send interesting funny messages.

Does anyone else feel like it's done more harm than good? I think I'll delete my profile when I get home!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel like it's done more harm than good? I think I'll delete my profile when I get home!

You should never feel anything negative if someone is not interested in you. Everyone has their own individual taste in what they are attracted to so just because some girls in particular were not interested you shouldn't care as there will be plenty of other girls that will.

If you let yourself get bothered by the lack of interest or rejection in life then it will only end up making you insecure and bitter and this will only influence negatively as generally women do not like insecurity or bitterness.

Chin up and stay positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I know exactly how you feel (see my other post above) however just today I got a single response which gives me hope. I'm begining to think it's a bit of a waiting game.

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I know exactly how you feel (see my other post above) however just today I got a single response which gives me hope. I'm begining to think it's a bit of a waiting game.

I know, I just dont think I can be arsed with it, women come along into my life sooner or later usually. Do women send messages or are all conversations started from males? I'd imagine the good looking girls must get 100s of messages a day.

Another thing. Not sure about Ireland, but here in London so many of the women's profiles are just a list of demands.

You must be Xft tall
    You must not call me this or that
    Dont even bother messaging if you this or that
    I'm so sick of idiots doing this
    If I dont respond blah
    If i like you I'll message you back if you fit X profile

I don't know, it's like lots of the girls are getting some power trip buzz out of it. I feel like messaging some of them and telling them to get a grip - I know they must get 100s of messages but surely they can just ignore the bad ones instead of coming across like a total b*tch in their profiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Got a message off a nice girl the other day.. copy paste job and very random too. Not sure what to make of it: "You look like hamsters.. I like hamsters :)". Definitely the oddest thing anyone has said to me this year!

Feeling a bit despondent about OD. 2 months on OKC, met a few girls, saw one for 3/4 weeks, but could not see it going any further than FWB, which I have very little interest in. Nearly universally ignored by the women I'm genuinely attracted to, sick of putting effort into writing messages. Few messages from girls, some I am attracted to, most I'm not.

I'm quite happy at the moment (in a general sense) and the dating scene (especially online) is taking too much effort/time and not giving enough back! Thinking about deleting my profile.. not quite sure I would come back to OD.

Another thing. Not sure about Ireland, but here in London so many of the women's profiles are just a list of demands.

You must be Xft tall
    You must not call me this or that
    Dont even bother messaging if you this or that
    I'm so sick of idiots doing this
    If I dont respond blah
    If i like you I'll message you back if you fit X profile

I don't know, it's like lots of the girls are getting some power trip buzz out of it. I feel like messaging some of them and telling them to get a grip - I know they must get 100s of messages but surely they can just ignore the bad ones instead of coming across like a total b*tch in their profiles?

What's wrong with knowing what they want? They are just trying to save their time and men that might message them time as well.

Maguined wrote: »
    What's wrong with knowing what they want? They are just trying to save their time and men that might message them time as well.

I just find it rude and puts me off the whole thing. Do men do this too?

• Advertisement

I just find it rude and puts me off the whole thing. Do men do this too?

Yes they do, maybe not as much as women do but then women are probably being sent far more messages than men are, as a result they have to filter through more profiles men so it makes perfect sense that they start to try and cut down on all this manual filtering by making their position more clear from the start.

I don't find it bitchy at all, people are allowed be as picky and close minded about what they are looking for as it's their personal life not a job application, equal opportunities for all is not a requirement of dating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement