Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Pass. Cheap and easy is the way to go (oh why oh why don't women answer me!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

sharper wrote: »
    Pass. Cheap and easy is the way to go (oh why oh why don't women answer me!!)

'Hey baby you look cheap and/or easy. Msg me back x'

Just noticed this under profile options on OKC. One of the options is:
    "Make my profile viewable only by other members who are signed in, and do not use my profile in advertisements."
    Note that the default for this is 'no'. While I have absolutely no shame in being on a dating site, I'm not so sure I like the idea of them using a picture of me in an advert without asking for consent (and paying me!) first.

Actually, now that i'm here, I recall I have a connectingsingles account but stopped using it as I never got anything useful out of it. has it improved at all in the last 6 months or should I leave it derelict?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Galvasean wrote: »
    Just noticed this under profile options on OKC. One of the options is:
    "Make my profile viewable only by other members who are signed in, and do not use my profile in advertisements."
    Note that the default for this is 'no'. While I have absolutely no shame in being on a dating site, I'm not so sure I like the idea of them using a picture of me in an advert without asking for consent (and paying me!) first.

i though it was weird seeing you on a torrent sight :pac:

i don't use torrents i was just checking something out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

I wouldnt start with "Hi, wanna chat" ...It sets alarm bells ringing for the next question being "So you have web cam?"

As awful as it sounds maybe insult her taste on something she seems to like in a playful way or send her something funny...like a cat.... b*tches love lol cats ...I am not actually joking ...we really do...

In saying that I have never chatted up a woman or been on a dating site I am just bored and voicing my opinion so I dont really know ..I just wanted to feel involved .......

Snowie wrote: »
    i though it was weird seeing you on a torrent sight :pac:

No, that wasn't me. now stop downloading old episodes of Dawson's creek :pac:

No, that wasn't me. now stop downloading old episodes of Dawson's creek :pac:

:mad:

last time this sort came up in another forum I was banned for a week I won't fall into that trap again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Had a date today with a guy from OkCupid. Really nice guy and we got on well but just didnt feel the spark as such. I always feel so bad when i have to tel them that i just didnt feel it :(

I could tell that he was well into it and was all on for meeting up again etc but i kind of knew i didnt want to. I just always feel so guilty telling them i dont wanna see them again, does anyone else feel like that when a date doesnt work out for them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

andreac wrote: »
    Had a date today with a guy from OkCupid. Really nice guy and we got on well but just didnt feel the spark as such. I always feel so bad when i have to tel them that i just didnt feel it :(

I could tell that he was well into it and was all on for meeting up again etc but i kind of knew i didnt want to. I just always feel so guilty telling them i dont wanna see them again, does anyone else feel like that when a date doesnt work out for them?

Yep,its never nice having to deliver the PFO but it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Ok, I am now looking forward to the inevitable negative response...At least I tried.

Ok, so this is now being handed over to the ladies. A response after a few days along the lines of "been a bit ill over the xmas, hope you had a good time, yes, meeting sometime might be good".

I've just responded casually first of all but is this a definite time to ask her out and if so how do I do it in a nice relaxed I'm easy but would love to kind of way? Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Kya1976 wrote: »
    Things are going really well with the bloke I'm dating, feeling really happy about it:)
    He's been sick for the last couple of days, so I've been playing nurse, hope I did an okay job in looking after him:p

Lucky lucky him, it's always nice when that happens...the 'looking after' part that is :)

Things are going really well with the bloke I'm dating, feeling really happy about it:)
    He's been sick for the last couple of days, so I've been playing nurse, hope I did an okay job in looking after him:p

has he got man flu ?

your so caring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ok, so this is now being handed over to the ladies. A response after a few days along the lines of "been a bit ill over the xmas, hope you had a good time, yes, meeting sometime might be good".

I've just responded casually first of all but is this a definite time to ask her out and if so how do I do it in a nice relaxed I'm easy but would love to kind of way? Haha.

Yes, FFS YES!

Just ask her would she be up for meeting for coffee/a drink sometime in the next couple of days. Its not rocket science!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Do most people here know after an initial meet up if its going to be yay or nay?
    I sent him a genuine message about how i just wasnt really feeling the spark and he said that he thinks i made the wrong call too soon etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Larianne wrote: »
    Yes, FFS YES!

Just ask her would she be up for meeting for coffee/a drink sometime in the next couple of days. Its not rocket science!

It is to me! In my defense, I was in a very long term relationship and so this is all quite new to me. Having said that, I am an idiot and know how to complicate things like no other!

:D

Ok, I'll wait for the next reply and then ask.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

It is to me! In my defense, I was in a very long term relationship and so this is all quite new to me. Having said that, I am an idiot and know how to complicate things like no other!

Thanks.

She's already pretty much said she wants to meet - so it's not a question of asking ;)

It's just a simple matter of saying 'how about we...' and that's it.

As you said, you're overthinking it :)

andreac wrote: »
    Do most people here know after an initial meet up if its going to be yay or nay?
    I sent him a genuine message about how i just wasnt really feeling the spark and he said that he thinks i made the wrong call too soon etc etc.

It may be different for everyone, but ime if there's no spark there's no spark. I've gone on a few dates with some guys I wasn't feeling the spark and it went nowhere. :cool: And wasn't very nice for the other person who thought it was.

Thanks.

I know you are. Just trying to give you a little kick in the right direction! :)

Nah tonsillitis, poor dude!
    Ah it's always nice to help out if you can:)

becarefull that could turn into man flu...

just make sure you have a read threw the thread in after hour so your uptodate with all there current versions lurking around :)

Your a star kya every man should be nursed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    ok so - single for the last 6 months or so, and decided to give POF a go after slating people in the past about online dating, but it was worth a shot. I've never needed it before but I moved away for someone and we broke up and now I'm living somewhere where I don't know that many people. I never had a problem hooking up with girls before but it just ain't happening lately.
    Anyway, I've sent a lot of messages to a lot of attractive ladies and rarely get a response, if I do we usually mail back and forth until they either just stop responding, or if I mention meeting up I am then ignored - so I don't know why they bother replying in first place! I did have one date, she was nice, met her again but it was too awkward, so i didn't contact her again after that.

Anyway, the whole exercise is just making me feel worse about myself, with being ignored by most, especially when you see they've viewed your profile - i think i'm a good guy, good looking, and I try and send interesting funny messages.

Does anyone else feel like it's done more harm than good? I think I'll delete my profile when I get home!

Yeah I think it's seriously dented my self confidence too. I definately get a better reaction IRL. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that people can't ignore you so easily to your face!

I've been on POF for about 2 months and have had only 2 dates. One there was no real chemistry even though we got on well. The other went on for a few dates and whenthe inevitable happened (as it will when you've seen someone 4 times) I literally have heard nothing from him since. Creep!. So, feeling pretty sh!t to be honest.

I don't live in one of the big cities so choice is limited and I do think my age may put some people off. And then when you mail someone you think is nice (and I don't go for "way out of my league" guys as I know they wouldn't be interested) and they don't reply, it's pretty rubbish. And I don't just send generic "Hi" messages (athough strangely the few times I have, I've gotten the best reactions!)

Weirdly, one other thing I noticed is if you send a message with no pic you always get a reply asking for one and then they are uually pleasantly surprised. When I send a message with a pic not so much!

I think I will have to move from the sticks if I want to find a half decent guy!

What's the story on POF when you send a mail and it doesn't go to your sent outbox? Just sent what I consider to be a very well crafted mail (was actually a little bit proud of it to be perfectly honest). Had a look at the girl's mail settings on her profile and I meet all the criteria. Didn't use any swear words or lewd phrases neither.
    Very unusual. Hope it sent :/

Well, I am an idiot. When coming back to POF I forgot to make my profile visible to other users again. I thought it was odd how not one person had viewed my profile all week. :o

picard-facepalm2.jpg

So now that I know not to be invisible I tried sending that mail again. Still not in the sent messages folder. Ah crap, I probably look like a psychopath now.

And here I am on boards in the middle of the night talking to myself.

malcolm-1.jpg

"Now that's chaos theory!"

Can only imagine what your messages are like? :pac:

jk

Can only imagine what your messages are like? :pac:

jk

Give it a try here and now. If you're even remotely close i have to buy you a beer at the next beers :p

A picture of a snapping turtle saying "Hello"?

Am I close???? :D

o

You got that much right, I'll give you that.

Half contemplating uploading a picture of said turtle so fellow boardsies can recognise me. However, I fear it may cause more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

What's the story on POF when you send a mail and it doesn't go to your sent outbox? Just sent what I consider to be a very well crafted mail (was actually a little bit proud of it to be perfectly honest). Had a look at the girl's mail settings on her profile and I meet all the criteria. Didn't use any swear words or lewd phrases neither.
    Very unusual. Hope it sent :/

if i remember right, that means you've been blocked. no smiley applicable!

• Advertisement

if i remember right, that means you've been blocked. no smiley applicable!

That'd be odd since I havent been on the site in 4 months and have never seen this girl's account before, not to mention only mademy account visible just there. But you'd never know. Perhaps she's a pre-emptive blocker? :pac: (there's ALAYS a smiley applicable!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement