Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It would seem my charming young lady has fallen off the radar again. Was considering texting her happy Xmas, but I texted her yesterday to no reply, so I think texting again would be clingy looking? Oh dating politics, why don't I understand thee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Galvasean wrote: »
    It would seem my charming young lady has fallen off the radar again. Was considering texting her happy Xmas, but I texted her yesterday to no reply, so I think texting again would be clingy looking? Oh dating politics, why don't I understand thee?

yes it would be clingy. give the girl some space.

re: north/south side divide. I honestly didn't think anyone over the age of 14 cave a toss. Better off without so.

yes it would be clingy. give the girl some space.

Yes, yes........... I shall bide my time...

Animal.discovery.com-alligator-snapping-turtle-q2prxp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

oh ffs! nah you wanna stay away from people like that. :mad:

I live on the northside, I wonder is that gonna work against me some how.feckin fools
    I know, as if we're of another planet rather than the other side of the same fookin city.
    re: north/south side divide. I honestly didn't think anyone over the age of 14 cave a toss. Better off without so.
    I didnt think so either. But ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

booboo88 wrote: »
    Ok so in a moment of madness I send a few people a message, just cause I liked their profile, to give it one last go., Conversation ensues and the dreaded question..where abouts you from?....Im from the northside, which apparently means I must be unclean or a thief. :rolleyes: Are people really that jugdemental still? Yes Im from the northside, but I dont steal and wash regularly. :p

Any chance he meant it in a jokey way? I always joke about the north/south side, dubs/culchies stuff, I just always want to make a joke out of something to get the conversation flowing but would never actually judge someone on where they are from, except Cork people of course.

Maguined wrote: »
    Any chance he meant it in a jokey way? I always joke about the north/south side, dubs/culchies stuff, I just always want to make a joke out of something to get the conversation flowing but would never actually judge someone on where they are from, except Cork people of course.
    Well if he meant it in a jokey way, Im not sure how else the conversation just died. Got a problem with Cork people do ya? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Have a date lined up for next week.She seems a cool girl though maybe a smidge too young for me.We shall see I suppose.

booboo88 wrote: »
    Well if he meant it in a jokey way, Im not sure how else the conversation just died. Got a problem with Cork people do ya? ;)

Did he write anything else beside lambasting north siders? He may have been hoping you would rise to the bait and slag him back over being a soutside nonce, well that is what I expect whenever I joke around anyway.

Who doesn't have a problem with Cork people? :P

Dubs may have the north/south divide but Corkonians are even more territorial, I have never had a Cork person tell me from they are from Cork, it's always secifically North/East/South/West/South West/Beside the park Cork.

Have a date lined up for next week.She seems a cool girl though maybe a smidge too young for me.We shall see I suppose.

How young is too young?

• Advertisement

Did he write anything else beside lambasting north siders? He may have been hoping you would rise to the bait and slag him back over being a soutside nonce, well that is what I expect whenever I joke around anyway.

Who doesn't have a problem with Cork people? :P

Dubs may have the north/south divide but Corkonians are even more territorial, I have never had a Cork person tell me from they are from Cork, it's always secifically North/East/South/West/South West/Beside the park Cork.
    Thats all he said. before hand we were joking about something else.
    Do cork people really? I've lived in cork all my life and therees some parts on both sides I dont like?
    Some people are wierd mush

How young is too young?

She is 24 so there is an 8 year gap.

Wouldn't worry about it TBH. So long as nobody is lying about their age it should be okay.

8 years is nothing, i once went out with a guy 15 years older :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

otis, from (good) experience I can tell you that this should not be a problem.

The issues generally arise not with numerical age but with the lifestyle or the place in your life that goes with it - i.e. if she was 20 and 8 years younger, she might be still enjoying the freedoms of college and being away from home or whatever whereas you might be more settling down somewhat.

But if she is 24 I don't think that would be much of an prob. I think once you hit 22yo+ it makes less and less difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I must say, you don't look 16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Oil of Olay ftw!

gatecrash wrote: »
    I must say, you don't look 16

The beard throws people a bit alright.

:pac:

IME and having dated someone before when there was a similar gap,I just couldnt deal with the crazy.

I will give her a fair shot though,she seems nice and is pretty in her pics too.

IME and having dated someone before when there was a similar gap,I just couldnt deal with the crazy.

I generally find they get more crazy with age*. Tell you what, a 32 year old messaged me during the week. I'll swap ya ;)

* OR hanging out with me drives them mental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Let me say this is my observation from reading your posts on this thread, it's just intended to point out something you might not be aware of not to be an attack or a criticism:

You're very recently out of a relationship that was unhappy towards the end. Rebound relationships are always a bit risky because you run the risk of not being over the previous person/relationships/events that ended it.

You seem to be getting a little restless whenever there's a small gap in the communication with the new girl. That suggests to me you're not happy when you're not talking to her and so she's acting to distract you from things that make you unhappy, possibly the events that just happened in your life.

If so it's not a critical problem, just something you have to acknowledge and work past. Like when you haven't talked to her a bit instead of thinking she should have gotten back to you by now maybe consider whether a day or even a few days is all that unusual a gap. At some point you have to get to a place where you're happy and confident she likes you without needing regular reinforcement or distraction, if you ignore that you might set yourself up for a pattern of behaviour she can't put up with.

All of the above is unsolicited and quite possibly wrong just putting it out there in case it helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

I've been chatting to a guy for about a week not even logging on to Pof just texting now. Normaly I don't like giving out my number unless we are arranging to meet up etc but for some reason I feel like I already know this guy were getting on really well. As it's the week of Christmas we haven't been able to meet up yet but I have to say I'm kind of excited to meet him never normaly feel like that more nervous than anything thinking 'oh god what is this guy going to turn out like' : D.

Have a good feeling about it but who knows I could be updating you with how terrible it was! Ah sure that's the fun of Internet dating right!

Any dates lined up for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Ammsy500 wrote: »
    I've been chatting to a guy for about a week not even logging on to Pof just texting now. Normaly I don't like giving out my number unless we are arranging to meet up etc but for some reason I feel like I already know this guy were getting on really well. As it's the week of Christmas we haven't been able to meet up yet but I have to say I'm kind of excited to meet him never normaly feel like that more nervous than anything thinking 'oh god what is this guy going to turn out like' : D.

Have a good feeling about it but who knows I could be updating you with how terrible it was! Ah sure that's the fun of Internet dating right!

Any dates lined up for anyone else?

I have a coffee lined up with someone tomorrow! She seems nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Veles wrote: »
    Any other good sites put there?

I've found match.com to be fairly successfully. Granted its a subscription based site but I've met a great girl off it 6 weeks ago so thumbs up from me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 User Name 2012

Hey guys, new to the world of online dating so this thread is proving useful. Just wondering what's the best way to start chats in your experience - is it best to start with a detailed intro or just a 'hi, would be nice to chat' type intro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

eilo1 wrote: »
    Im meeting up with newbie for some Christmas shopping, wish me luck!

Very strange 'date' :rolleyes:

Hey guys, new to the world of online dating so this thread is proving useful. Just wondering what's the best way to start chats in your experience - is it best to start with a detailed intro or just a 'hi, would be nice to chat' type intro?

Don't know if this is a good way or not but my own personal method is to pick something from their profile and give them abuse over it, but that is what I am like in person anyway so I am just being me. :pac:

Unfortunately it depends a lot on the person. One thing to remember though is that if you're a guy messaging women you need to stand out somehow from all the other guys saying "Hey wanna chat?" while at the same time not writing something that's a chore to read/respond to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

sharper wrote: »
    Unfortunately it depends a lot on the person. One thing to remember though is that if you're a guy messaging women you need to stand out somehow from all the other guys saying "Hey wanna chat?" while at the same time not writing something that's a chore to read/respond to.

I just said "Hi I'm the famous Parker Kent from Boards. I hope you were sitting down when you read that".

I just said "Hi I'm the famous Parker Kent from Boards. I hope you were sitting down when you read that".

Wanna go out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

sharper wrote: »
    Wanna go out?

It'll cost though. I'm not a cheap date. Michelin starred restaurants are a minimum. I expect a gift on arrival. Plus a firm handshake is all you'll get at the end of the night. I'm a prude :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement