Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

Larianne wrote: »
    Stop that cowardness right there!

What is the harm of sending a message seeing if she's free sometime during the week for a festive beverage (I recommend hot port!)? You've been getting on okay, right? Just remember it is the week before Christmas so she may well be busy..

Well I actually sent a small follow up on Friday after a few days and no response to that either. As I say, if there was an opportunity, I'd say I missed it...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well I actually sent a small follow up on Friday after a few days and no response to that either. As I say, if there was an opportunity, I'd say I missed it...

Lesson learned I suppose. But in your defense if she didn't respond to the follow up mail either she probably wasn't terribly interested. I wouldn't dwell on it too much. My advice:
    PBF189-Keep_on_Truckin.jpg&sa=X&ei=jS7uTv3DOMSChQfxlNyZCA&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFlMWxPkUtND2X3J0upytlk9MjY1g

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yep, you snooze you lose on online dating.. next time ! :)

Asked her out. She said yes.
    When the heck did I get so smooth? :o

The texting has begun! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Galv's milkshakes bring all the girls to the yard...:pac:
    That's the stuff, hope it works out well for you!

Thanks. :D
    And congrats on your Modhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Why thank you kindly!:)
    If only I were as lucky with my love life (insert sympathy hug here folks!)
    The thing I've found with OKC is that its the same faces the whole time from anywhere near the Galway region. The Dublin and surrounds seems to have a much higher join/log in rate by comparison.
    Which is a bit of an annoyance.

Panthro wrote: »
    Why thank you kindly!:)
    If only I were as lucky with my love life (insert sympathy hug here folks!)

As per other thread I'm not to keen on hugging folks I dont know too well, but you have my sympathy.
    Meh. 'bout time I had some good luck I say, considering the slow and painful end of my last relationship. Only in hindsight now do i see how horrible that last month was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Okcupid is overall a better looking site but it seems there's more people on POF.

• Advertisement

Ok, what do I do. Had a reply. Been busy, not ignoring, will msg soon plus a brief answer to my last question. Should I go ahead and suggest the possibility of meeting up when she is less busy?

Ok, what do I do. Had a reply. Been busy, not ignoring, will msg soon plus a brief answer to my last question. Should I go ahead and suggest the possibility of meeting up when she is less busy?

YES!

:rolleyes:

:pac:

YES!

:rolleyes:

:pac:

You see, I'm sure there is a reason for being so matter of fact about it, but I genuinely am scared. Haha.

I suppose it's a case of why not? She really is lovely, intelligent and really down to earth. Either way, I'd love to keep in touch with her!

:D

Ok, I am now looking forward to the inevitable negative response...At least I tried.

Ok, I am now looking forward to the inevitable negative response...At least I tried.

If you're not in it, you can't er, win it! :pac:

I'll leave now..

If you're not in it, you can't er, win it! :pac:

I'll leave now..

No, no, you are ok, you can stay. Just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

I've been a member of OKC and POF for a few weeks and haven't really had much luck. Was contacted by someone I thought was really interesting, pretty and actually laughed out loud at some of the stuff she said but think I maybe left it too long with the whole chat online thing. I really do not know how to do this! When she asked me did I have any plans for the weekend, I presumed she was being polite. Perhaps she was or maybe I'm an idiot and should have asked her would she like to meet. Oh well.

Soooo I've sent nearly a dozen or so emails on POF and not a single reply - have gotten a few from girls I don't fancy, so nothing new there....but you get an email from a really interesting, pretty girl and you do the above....

mmmm-k! ;)

Newsite wrote: »
    I've been a member of OKC and POF for a few weeks and haven't really had much luck. Was contacted by someone I thought was really interesting, pretty and actually laughed out loud at some of the stuff she said but think I maybe left it too long with the whole chat online thing. I really do not know how to do this! When she asked me did I have any plans for the weekend, I presumed she was being polite. Perhaps she was or maybe I'm an idiot and should have asked her would she like to meet. Oh well.

Soooo I've sent nearly a dozen or so emails on POF and not a single reply - have gotten a few from girls I don't fancy, so nothing new there....but you get an email from a really interesting, pretty girl and you do the above....

mmmm-k! ;)

See, now you make me feel like I am actually an idiot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Newsite

Nah - you'd only be an idiot if you hadn't eventually mailed her back! So now just wait for her to get back to you and learn for next time :)

Newsite wrote: »

Nah - you'd only be an idiot if you hadn't eventually mailed her back! So now just wait for her to get back to you and learn for next time :)

I have to say, you are nearly as logical as me, but I can't help feeling as though I've read this wrong. We'll see now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

finipops wrote: »
    Okcupid is overall a better looking site but it seems there's more people on POF.

It is really, really, ridiculously good looking :pac:

But it just got a little less good looking as I am no longer on it :p . For the best of reasons :)

finipops wrote: »

But it just got a little less good looking as I am no longer on it :p . For the best of reasons :)

It is a very well designed site. Much more intuitive and user friendly than pof. I take it you have had some luck then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

What :eek: :);)
    Details!!?

Allllright!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Not gonna jinx anything by saying too much on here, but had some of the best dates ever recently. The type where a 2 hour meet up turns into a 12 hour mega date! All very early days but I've no interest in talking to anybody else on OKC. Logged in yesterday to delete it, sent a quick mail to the few I had been talking to saying I'd met somebody whilst wishing them luck.

Like I say, it's early days and I don't like/want to talk too much on here but I've been walking on air recently. Long may it continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Not gonna jinx anything by saying too much on here, but had some of the best dates ever recently. The type where a 2 hour meet up turns into a 12 hour mega date! All very early days but I've no interest in talking to anybody else on OKC. Logged in yesterday to delete it, sent a quick mail to the few I had been talking to saying I'd met somebody whilst wishing them luck.

Like I say, it's early days and I don't like/want to talk too much on here but I've been walking on air recently. Long may it continue!

Always great to hear success stories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

I reluctantly went back on POF last week because i've hit a bit of lull with dating.

I gotta say it's really rubbish.

I'm a good looking guy (not to sound cocky), genuine and down to earth. I have alot going for me.

Saw some nice girls on there, and mailed out 25 by now.

Barely any reply! And i have given some witty and informative mails to get a response but still nothing.

Either you get only ONE mail back or none at all.

No offence to any of the girls who have mailed me off the bat but i wasnt attracted to them and i would always write back saying thanks but no thanks.

I think some girls are on there either for an ego boost or are just browsing and have no intention of getting to know someone.

And ive heard that some guys ruin it for the rest of us by being crude and looking for one thing!

So can anyone tell me if okcupid is any better??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Or maybe they just weren't attracted to you?

It does happen you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

At the risk of repeating myself, I'm still not missing the online dating. All the effort you put into sending loads of mails, getting little or no response, sometimes struggling to come up with something to write in a mail as the person's profile is so devoid of information and personality you are almost trying to create a personality for them, for you to interact with.

Then the whole texting, calling and nervousness before the date and the uncertainty.

I'm not missing it for the time being anyway, I must be about 2 months off the sites at this stage, or at least since I last mailed anyone. I moved my OKCupid profile from disabled to deleted a week or two ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

G-Money wrote: »
    At the risk of repeating myself, I'm still not missing the online dating. All the effort you put into sending loads of mails, getting little or no response, sometimes struggling to come up with something to write in a mail as the person's profile is so devoid of information and personality you are almost trying to create a personality for them, for you to interact with.

Then the whole texting, calling and nervousness before the date and the uncertainty.

I'm not missing it for the time being anyway, I must be about 2 months off the sites at this stage, or at least since I last mailed anyone. I moved my OKCupid profile from disabled to deleted a week or two ago.

Sure if you see it as being an "effort", then of course it's not going to be any fun!

If you're struggling to find anything to say to someone in a mail because they seem to have no personality, then how are you going to have anything to say in real life?! They're obviously not suited to you, so forget mailing them and move on.

I like the nervousness before the date. :) It's fun, it's a good "butterflies" sort of nervous. And what's the worst that could ever happen, even if it's the worst date ever and you've nothing to say, you could always make your excuses and leave after a couple of hours. It's not a life or death situation (unless your date turns out to be an axe murderer, then your nervousness may be justified. :eek: )

If you hate the whole thing and were getting nothing good out of it, then it's totally understandable that you've given up on it - it obviously just doesn't suit you. Doesn't mean that it can't work out for other people though. You just have to see it as what it is - a bit of fun, and a good way to meet new people. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement