Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

you wha? wrote: »
    Dont overthink the, she hasnt texted me..oh god she doesnt want to lark!iv done that in the past and its silly when u really think about it.just chill and things will fall into place if they are meant to, and lets face it they will cuz ur only gorgeous(if not slightly pervy ;) haha)
    Itll be grand dude :)

All I saw is im gorgeous and not slightly pervy.....thanks for cheering up my day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

missbelle wrote: »
    Well, I normally don't reply to people I'm not interested in - I did once, and the guy pestered me with about three or four messages in a row about why didn't I like him. Block button - Next!

Just got to approach online dating with a pinch of salt, until you meet the person in real life, you can't fully know what they're like. and people can be rude, or dismissive, or inappropriate, but then they're not right for ya :D
    The above is why I don't reply!

Also I have given up being courteous to people I don't know and have only interacted with online!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Well, I normally don't reply to people I'm not interested in - I did once, and the guy pestered me with about three or four messages in a row about why didn't I like him. Block button - Next!

Just got to approach online dating with a pinch of salt, until you meet the person in real life, you can't fully know what they're like. and people can be rude, or dismissive, or inappropriate, but then they're not right for ya :D

As I said previously, I would send a message picking up on things that I seemingly would have in common with the person. Nothing more, nothing less......

The tumbleweed continues to blow around my POF profile. :(

I've never actually had a date, so this is why i'm probably out of touch with the whole thing.....??

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

Pembily wrote: »
    The above is why I don't reply!

Also I have given up being courteous to people I don't know and have only interacted with online!

Exactly! What's the point in being polite/courteous and people interpreting that how they wish and giving me abuse and saying I think I'm too good for the site etc (I don't, and my profile is not at all cocky, I've had a few boardsies review it for advice)

It is hard, in my opinion, to find someone that I click with enough to want to meet them for a date...and that want to meet me too of course :D

Don't give up hope, but don't obsess about it either ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

When i joined up first i adopted a bit of a scatter gun approach and mailed a good few people.

Heard back from about 65-70% of those i mailed. Some I heard back from and some im still in touch with.

I just got this message back

"Hi S, Sorry took forever to get back to you, your message was lovely but your having viewed your pictures your head is too large for me, I have a phobia about things like that lol, i'd look like a lollipop lady if i was holding on to you lol... anyhow thanks for the contact"

I'm ranging between :eek: and :pac::pac: at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Something along the lines of "thanks for taking the time to contact me, but..............." would be curteous, I would've thought??

Or maybe I'm completely out of touch with the whole thing....?

I for one try that approach at first and got some terrible abuse and begging. I have stopped replying if not interested as I don't want those types of messages and I don't have time to reply to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

+1 I don't do it because of that reason too.. I hate not saying thanks for the mail but seriously, some people just really run with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

I named my profile after my favourite elephant...

Maybe thats why nobody messages me anymore, ha. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

Oh sweet holy!! Another ex has found me...just coz I'm on POF doesn't mean I'm willing to go back there with them!!

And today, some guy called me posh coz I used punctuation and proper grammar. Baffles the mind!

But on the upside, date this evening :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Polloloca wrote: »
    I named my profile after my favourite elephant...

Maybe thats why nobody messages me anymore, ha. :D
    Dumbo?! ;)

Dumbo?! ;)
    Noooo haha guess again! :D

Although dumbo is pretty cute... That video makes me cry every time I watch it

elephants are great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Dumbo?! ;)
    Noooo haha guess again! :D

Heffalump? <-- not a good choice for an internet dating username

Nah it isn't heffalump either. I'm actually going to log onto pof and see how many outrageous screen names women use on there.

Nah it isn't heffalump either. I'm actually going to log onto pof and see how many outrageous screen names women use on there.

Babar? Nellie? Elmer?

Nellie is fantastic. I should change it immeditatly to Nellie.

I was having a browse through the thread there and noticed about people commenting on being divorced/separated.. I think the biggest deal is when you have children. If you were single/married/separted regardless they'll (hopefully for the childs sake)be in your life. And keeping in frame with this thread it is a big thing to be honest and open about it on your dating profile.. I've come across 2 people I know in real life that have said they don't have children when they do (both men, though not judging) where do the white lies stop on internet dating?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Starokan wrote: »
    When i joined up first i adopted a bit of a scatter gun approach and mailed a good few people.

Heard back from about 65-70% of those i mailed. Some I heard back from and some im still in touch with.

I just got this message back

"Hi S, Sorry took forever to get back to you, your message was lovely but your having viewed your pictures your head is too large for me, I have a phobia about things like that lol, i'd look like a lollipop lady if i was holding on to you lol... anyhow thanks for the contact"

I'm ranging between :eek: and :pac::pac: at moment.

Im sorry but thats actually hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

The amount of people who start messages with 'I've nothing better to do so I thought I'd say hi' or something else along those lines... Thanks? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I was having a browse through the thread there and noticed about people commenting on being divorced/separated.. I think the biggest deal is when you have children. If you were single/married/separted regardless they'll (hopefully for the childs sake)be in your life. And keeping in frame with this thread it is a big thing to be honest and open about it on your dating profile.. I've come across 2 people I know in real life that have said they don't have children when they do (both men, though not judging) where do the white lies stop on internet dating?

That's not a white lie!

• Advertisement

mood wrote: »
    That's not a white lie!

No, it isn't to be fair wrong phrase. But I'm happy to say who I am, I have a child, I'm whatever age I am, I have whatever colour of hair. I'm sure a lot of women do fluff too, but the amount of men that say they don't have children then through messages would say actually by the way I do have children.. What's the story there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

The amount of people who start messages with 'I've nothing better to do so I thought I'd say hi' or something else along those lines... Thanks? :confused:

Even better: "I'm bored, why not entertain me?". Yeah, no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Had a guy start a message with:

'You seem interesting; prove me wrong'

Eh... you want me to prove to you that I'm not interesting? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

That_Guy wrote: »
    He actually told you that??? Jesus, that's an awful thing to say to someone. Sounds like you've dodged a bullet there lass.

EDIT: You say you're going to miss him. To be honest, why would you miss somebody who put you down like that? You can do a lot better than that. He's not even worth thinking about.

Actually I asked him for the reasons why he was no longer interested and he did say he didn't want to hurt me. Ah I don't know. I went on about wanting closure and spoke a lot of rubbish along the lines of 'well I don't want you either'! Truth is I just miss him that's all .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Galvasean wrote: »
    Mail girl with compliment and a follow up question.
    Replies: "thank you"

Ah screw it, fell to temptation and replied, "That went well. It was nice talking too you :)"

I'm starting to see why people troll online dating sites...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Tumbleweeds.... Re-jigged my profile though, now patience is all I need.....

*f5*
    *f5*

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Actually I asked him for the reasons why he was no longer interested and he did say he didn't want to hurt me. Ah I don't know. I went on about wanting closure and spoke a lot of rubbish along the lines of 'well I don't want you either'! Truth is I just miss him that's all .

Closure? How long had you been dating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

My last posts here were depressing, I'm all good now though :):)

OK... (remembering my ongoing direction to follow my own ass vice)... you went a little over the top. 6 weeks isn't long enough to call it anything, certainly not to warrant closure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

LoTwan wrote: »
    OK... (remembering my ongoing direction to follow my own ass vice)... you went a little over the top. 6 weeks isn't long enough to call it anything, certainly not to warrant closure.

I know. It's been quite a while since I met a man who didn't treat me like crap. I guess I came over all needy. Well I've only gone and made a mess of it. There is nothing I can do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement