Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I agree with Agent Smith, no texts generally means relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Phone number. When he gave it to me he said he doesn't "do" texts, which I thought was a *little* odd, but I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. But it did mean that we were doing all our communicating on POF. Anyway, I do like to *actually* speak to someone before I meet them so I texted him last night saying "Fair warning, I'm going to ring you in half an hour or so, think we need to have an actual conversation or two before Friday..." Rang him 40 minutes or so later and his phone went straight to voicemail. (This also happened the one other time I rang him, he said later he was out of coverage in Meath somewhere.)

Anyway, messaged him this morning saying "I have to say, I'm starting to find it slightly weird/worrying that you're virtually uncontactable outside of POF..."

Next time I check, he's blocked me. I know I should consider it a lucky escape, but Jesus jumped-up Christ on a chariot-driven Sidecar, how, and more importantly, WHY do some people put so much time and energy into being time-wasters???

I'd guess he was married. No texts means he doesnt want his wife seeing them.

I reckoned married & spare phone. I have reached the point where I assume that anyone over 30 who talks about needing credit for their phone must be dodgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Phone number. When he gave it to me he said he doesn't "do" texts, which I thought was a *little* odd, but I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. But it did mean that we were doing all our communicating on POF. Anyway, I do like to *actually* speak to someone before I meet them so I texted him last night saying "Fair warning, I'm going to ring you in half an hour or so, think we need to have an actual conversation or two before Friday..." Rang him 40 minutes or so later and his phone went straight to voicemail. (This also happened the one other time I rang him, he said later he was out of coverage in Meath somewhere.)

Anyway, messaged him this morning saying "I have to say, I'm starting to find it slightly weird/worrying that you're virtually uncontactable outside of POF..."

Next time I check, he's blocked me. I know I should consider it a lucky escape, but Jesus jumped-up Christ on a chariot-driven Sidecar, how, and more importantly, WHY do some people put so much time and energy into being time-wasters???

My gut says he is already married/seeing someone and is using POF to try and cheat.

Fair play to you though, you followed your instincts and sussed out his dodgy behaviour before it could affect properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

Maguined wrote: »
    My gut says he is already married/seeing someone and is using POF to try and cheat.

Fair play to you though, you followed your instincts and sussed out his dodgy behaviour before it could affect properly.

I don't get how they have the neck to put up pictures of themselves.. I've come across one before my friend was seeing and there he is, blatant as ya like posing in a pic..

Pembily wrote: »
    Haha!!

I thought you came in with news of you date! Has it happened yet?

Saturday, won't be posting much news as it turns out she is a boardsie. Dunno her username and doesn't post around these parts but could still track me down if started posting how the date went.

After chatting to her I could smell the whiff of boards off of her and guessed right.

Fecking boardsies everywhere. :pac:
    Baahaaaaaaahaaaa, we are EVERYWHERE! What do boardsies smell like :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Saturday, won't be posting much news as it turns out she is a boardsie. Dunno her username and doesn't post around these parts but could still track me down if started posting how the date went.

After chatting to her I could smell the whiff of boards off of her and guessed right.

Fecking boardsies everywhere. :pac:

If you tell ANYBODY about us... I mean....

Good luck on your date mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Well jaysis, he put a lot of effort into it! We were chatting for weeks; surely to God it would be easier to just go away for a "lads" weekend and score on that???

Well jaysis, he put a lot of effort into it! We were chatting for weeks; surely to God it would be easier to just go away for a "lads" weekend and score on that???

I had a guy do the same, messaged for ages. I never had proof that he was with someone but I am pretty certain. I think it's the thrill :rolleyes:

Did he have any pictures up on his profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

Thumbs up just for that :)

But seriously, what a time waster! Pretty pathetic really

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Did he have any pictures up on his profile?

Yeah, one.

Yeah, one.

If he is already with somebody then why risk being noticed by a mate or one of her mates? I don't get people sometimes.

That_Guy wrote: »
    If he is already with somebody then why risk being noticed by a mate or one of her mates? I don't get people sometimes.
    His mates won't say anything and if her mates question him on it, he says his mates were messing with him and put up a fake profile...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LoTwan wrote: »
    I reckoned married & spare phone. I have reached the point where I assume that anyone over 30 who talks about needing credit for their phone must be dodgy!

:D Some of us just hate having another bill to pay!

But yes, it does seem the guy wanted to be uncontactable for a reason!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

hollypink wrote: »
    Exaclty, I didn't think I said anything nasty? I didn't say people on beautifulpeople.com had no personalities; but it's not screening on personality, just looks, so you're going to get the same cross-section of different types of personality on beautifulpeople as any other site.

I think some of ye are taking me up the wrong way!

I look at it like a market research. You look for your target demograph then reduce down your sample group by removing components with undesirable factors.

The point is that you are obviously going to still have people with zero personality on beautifulpeople.com (in fact you will probably get a higher % of selfabsorbed posers). But what you do have is at least one filter that you can put in place, that being the aesthetic factor. So you may get more pretty boring people in one place! But you will not get terribly unattractive boring people, so thats at least one variable reduced. Hence time and feelings saved.

I think its a bit sh!tty not to reply to people who put effort into a message, so I always do. But this can get misconstrued as something else. Which can be equally as annoying / bad...as I enjoy having the craic and a good chat with people on these things too.

It's very hard to phrase any of this without sounding like a uppity contrived, d!ckhead:( . I'm far from an Adonis! But I don't think it shallow I just think of it as being honest. If there was a site called wwww.SoundPeopleUpForTheCraicWhoDontLookLikeAcrossBetweenMaryHarneyAndgandalf.com I'd join that too!

Pembily wrote: »
    Baahaaaaaaahaaaa, we are EVERYWHERE! What do boardsies smell like :pac:

lolcats and rage comics.

I knew a guy in a previous job that openly told all "the lads" during lunch about his cheating escapades. Apparently cheating makes him a better boyfriend as it makes him appreciate his girlfriend more. He was signed up to dating websites, dunno which ones at the time as it was years ago. He would do the whole no text thing. He said he liked it as opposed to going out on the pull to a nightclub because anyone could see you in a nightclub where as if chatting online and someone recognised him he would try and deny it being him by saying some friends put up his photos as a joke. He also viewed online dating as more of a "conquest" as it relied more on his "personality and intelligent wit" than on just looks in a nightclub (even though he had pretty obvious good looks according to him).

At least once a week I had to endure listening to his glorious tales of conquests and seductions while he shovelled a sandwich into his mouth and always left a smear of coleslaw in the corner of his mouth which would last at least 2 hours after lunch. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Duffman, you're taking this online dating thing very seriously :eek:

As for that particular site - I'd never join it. I don't think I'm ugly or anything, but I'd imagine people signing up to a site called 'beautiful people' are either more concerned about aesthetics in their future partner than anything else, or are arrogant little gits that think they're hotter than they probably are.

lolcats and rage comics.

I don't know what a rage comic is :confused:

At least once a week I had to endure listening to his glorious tales of conquests and seductions while he shovelled a sandwich into his mouth and always left a smear of coleslaw in the corner of his mouth which would last at least 2 hours after lunch. :rolleyes:
    I would have put laxatives in his sandwiches or met him for a nerve settling drink before a date and put them in his drink! Utter scumbag :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sammye333

Its not just lads that are looking . Had married woman to me for couple weeks. She said she didnt want anything to happen, just the thrill of getting her ego stroked????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Duffman, you're taking this online dating thing very seriously :eek:

As for that particular site - I'd never join it. I don't think I'm ugly or anything, but I'd imagine people signing up to a site called 'beautiful people' are either more concerned about aesthetics in their future partner than anything else, or are arrogant little gits that think they're hotter than they probably are.

Not at all! I'm merely giving it a lash due to current work / training commitments that means I can't go out on the rip like normal people! Also the majority of my mates decided this would be a great time to lose the single status and get shacked up / engaged. And TBH it seems like a lot of effort!

Also yeah I agree, could be full of vain muppets. But will give it a shot!

• Advertisement

I'd imagine people signing up to a site called 'beautiful people' are either more concerned about aesthetics in their future partner than anything else, or are arrogant little gits that think they're hotter than they probably are.

I'd say about 90% of the Irish members did is at a bet with a mate to see who'd get accepted...

I've been doing some serious Facebook creeping over lunch and I reckon I've found this guy's sister, she's the spit of him. Looking at their family, it would appear I definitely had a lucky escape...

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Not at all! I'm merely giving it a lash due to current work / training commitments that means I can't go out on the rip like normal people! Also the majority of my mates decided this would be a great time to lose the single status and get shacked up / engaged. And TBH it seems like a lot of effort!

Also yeah I agree, could be full of vain muppets. But will give it a shot!

I'm gonna go out for a few social ones tonight. A few social ones being a few pitchers. We'll see where that takes me. If I fail to pull, I will be back on POF tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

K-9 wrote: »
    LoTwan wrote: »

:D Some of us just hate having another bill to pay!

But yes, it does seem the guy wanted to be uncontactable for a reason!

Well it's a good thing I'm not dating you then eh? (although if you are cute with that genuine reason for a ready to go....)

I'd say about 90% of the Irish members did is at a bet with a mate to see who'd get accepted...

I've been doing some serious Facebook creeping over lunch and I reckon I've found this guy's sister, she's the spit of him. Looking at their family, it would appear I definitely had a lucky escape...

Who knew we had a stalker in out midst. :p

So what info did you dig up on him??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

If I fail to pull, I will be back on POF tomorrow :rolleyes:

You make POF sound like such a creepy, last resort. :D

What's your pulling plan out of curiosity?

Go out
    Drink
    Drink more
    ????
    Profit! :pac:

Who knew we had a stalker in out midst. :p

So what info did you dig up on him??

Very little on him personally yet, but picture Man Utd. jerseys, cans of Dutch Gold, overly soffitted housing and the fact that there seems to be about 20 million of them and you get an idea of the family...

GrumPy wrote: »
    You make POF sound like such a creepy, last resort. :D

What's your pulling plan out of curiosity?

Go out
    Drink
    Drink more
    ????
    Profit! :pac:

Ah it's not the last resort. It's just much easier to pull in bars tbh.

Pulling plan -

Go out.
    Drink a few to calm the nerves.
    Talk to some random group of people.
    Pinpoint one to insult (in a totally 'joking' way).
    Invite the guys to come for a smoke with me and my mates.
    Pull.
    Push them away when I'm bored of kissing them.

Very little on him personally yet, but picture Man Utd. jerseys, cans of Dutch Gold, overly soffitted housing and the fact that there seems to be about 20 million of them and you get an idea of the family...

Sounds like it could be any of my cousins :pac:

Be still my quivering loins.

• Advertisement

Ew... Dutch Gold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement