Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Pembily wrote: »
    To be fair to her I think she is being honest and I totally agree with her! I don't see how a website marketed at "beautiful people" means they are better able to hold a conversation in anyway!

Exaclty, I didn't think I said anything nasty? I didn't say people on beautifulpeople.com had no personalities; but it's not screening on personality, just looks, so you're going to get the same cross-section of different types of personality on beautifulpeople as any other site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

LoTwan wrote: »
    I would say yes, women do want nice guys (and the ones that want bastards actually need a good counsellor) but we don't want walk overs. Considerate can sound like desperate if you aren't careful. If she wants to meet you again then she should be willing to do part or all of the travelling to meet you. If she lives too far away or can't/won't travel then you will end up resenting it.

Well this is our 3rd date. First date we met halfway to go bowling, 2nd date we met up closer to her for dinner and drinks and then I drove her home and now tonight she is insisting she comes down to my town to go to the cinema, and even better.....she insists on paying seeing as I bought the dinner!

We are going to see The Cabin in the Woods horror and she says god help me sitting beside her as she is a "bit of a screamer" (sounds promising;))

Hopefully she can clear up her not wanting "nice guys" comment and all will be rosey!

Good luck with anyone having a date tonight!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

BigDuffman wrote: »

I'm giving beautifulpeople.com a go. My reasons are not entirely shallow. My reasons are that what I want from a date is a pretty girl, who can hold a conversation and that can have the banter.

I'm just too feckin busy, to trawl coppers .

Bit of a contradiction there!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

This is why I use an abbreviated version of my name if I give someone my name on dating sites. My colleagues and anyone I meet on a professional level, like when I do auditions, or gig, or talk to clients from other stores in work, all know me by my full name. Online, I'm only known by my nickname, which means no stalking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

hollypink wrote: »
    what do you mean?
    To be fair to her I think she is being honest and I totally agree with her! I don't see how a website marketed at "beautiful people" means they are better able to hold a conversation in anyway!

Fair point. I'm sure there are many on that site who can't hold a decent conversation. Hell, there's a load on POF that wouldn't know how to hold a conversation if a book entitled "How to hold a decent conversation" hit them in the face but maybe I just thought it unfair to stereotype all users of that site.

AFAIK you have to pay for their services so maybe that deters all the time wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

That_Guy wrote: »
    Fair point. I'm sure there are many on that site who can't hold a decent conversation. Hell, there's a load on POF that wouldn't know how to hold a conversation if a book entitled "How to hold a decent conversation" hit them in the face but maybe I just thought it unfair to stereotype all users of that site.

AFAIK you have to pay for their services so maybe that deters all the time wasters.
    Sure this poor thread is full of generalisations :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

maybe I just thought it unfair to stereotype all users of that site.

but I didn't stereotype anybody. I said you weren't any more likely to meet someone with a great personality on that site than any other. I didn't say the beautiful people had crap personalities.

hollypink wrote: »
    but I didn't stereotype anybody. I said you weren't any more likely to meet someone with a great personality on that site than any other. I didn't say the beautiful people had crap personalities.

My bad. I misread your post.

*hooks coffee to veins*

My bad. I misread your post.

*hooks coffee to veins*

You need more than one! You are clearly blinded by the soccer :P

You need more than one! You are clearly blinded by the soccer :P

You're right...

Must be the bright jersey I'm wearing in work today.

borussia_dortmund_home_jersey_2011_2012.jpg

It buuuuurns.

• Advertisement

It buuuuurns.

It really does, so much so that I can't see it again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Hell, there's a load on POF that wouldn't know how to hold a conversation if a book entitled "How to hold a decent conversation" hit them in the face

There are loads on POF who couldn't read or understand the title of "How to hold a decent conversation"

There are loads on POF who couldn't read or understand the title of "How to hold a decent conversation"

I've read this sentence 5 times and it's not making any sense to me.

MOAR COFFEE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

So, tomorrow's date was being slightly cagey about a few things, hard to contact outside of POF, etc. Called him on it this morning and he blocked me! So long, POF, it's been, well, interesting...

I'm actually gutted, we'd been chatting for weeks and he seemed funny, articulate and normal. Until today, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Sure this poor thread is full of generalisations :pac:

Yeah but did you see the way those generalisations were dressed? asking for it they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

Honey-ec wrote: »
    So, tomorrow's date was being slightly cagey about a few things, hard to contact outside of POF, etc. Called him on it this morning and he blocked me! So long, POF, it's been, well, interesting...

I'm actually gutted, we'd been chatting for weeks and he seemed funny, articulate and normal. Until today, anyway.

Did you have a phone number or email address for him? Had that very similar situation myself recently, interesting.

Maguined wrote: »
    Yeah but did you see the way those generalisations were dressed? asking for it they were.

Haha!!

I thought you came in with news of you date! Has it happened yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Sorry to hear that Honey-ec,

I've been on POF for a while but I'm just starting to get into using it properly, Hate hearing stories like that it can kinda make you think why bother?

Now if only That_Guy would start messaging me It'd be sweet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

So, tomorrow's date was being slightly cagey about a few things, hard to contact outside of POF, etc. Called him on it this morning and he blocked me! .

:eek: What a dope! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

newbee22 wrote: »
    So, tomorrow's date was being slightly cagey about a few things, hard to contact outside of POF, etc. Called him on it this morning and he blocked me! .

I agree... What was he at? Think he got a better offer and didn't have the guts to tell you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Did you have a phone number or email address for him? Had that very similar situation myself recently, interesting.

Phone number. When he gave it to me he said he doesn't "do" texts, which I thought was a *little* odd, but I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. But it did mean that we were doing all our communicating on POF. Anyway, I do like to *actually* speak to someone before I meet them so I texted him last night saying "Fair warning, I'm going to ring you in half an hour or so, think we need to have an actual conversation or two before Friday..." Rang him 40 minutes or so later and his phone went straight to voicemail. (This also happened the one other time I rang him, he said later he was out of coverage in Meath somewhere.)

Anyway, messaged him this morning saying "I have to say, I'm starting to find it slightly weird/worrying that you're virtually uncontactable outside of POF..."

Next time I check, he's blocked me. I know I should consider it a lucky escape, but Jesus jumped-up Christ on a chariot-driven Sidecar, how, and more importantly, WHY do some people put so much time and energy into being time-wasters???

managerman wrote: »

I agree... What was he at? Think he got a better offer and didn't have the guts to tell you?
    Generally the way :rolleyes:

Phone number. When he gave it to me he said he doesn't "do" texts, which I thought was a *little* odd, but I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. But it did mean that we were doing all our communicating on POF. Anyway, I do like to *actually* speak to someone before I meet them so I texted him last night saying "Fair warning, I'm going to ring you in half an hour or so, think we need to have an actual conversation or two before Friday..." Rang him 40 minutes or so later and his phone went straight to voicemail. (This also happened the one other time I rang him, he said later he was out of coverage in Meath somewhere.)

Anyway, messaged him this morning saying "I have to say, I'm starting to find it slightly weird/worrying that you're virtually uncontactable outside of POF..."

Next time I check, he's blocked me. I know I should consider it a lucky escape, but Jesus jumped-up Christ on a chariot-driven Sidecar, how, and more importantly, WHY do some people put so much time and energy into being time-wasters???
    You miss honey-ec are better off without

Ahhhhhh well dodgy there alright? Phone going straight to voicemail. Why give you his number if you can't ring/text him on it..

I know, I feel the same way, especially when you're talking to them for a while and getting on well.. Maybe it's an ego boost..

Whatever it is, you're definitely better off finding out now rather than down the line he's a waste of space.

managerman wrote: »

Generally the way :rolleyes:

Not all us guys are generally like that!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'd guess he was married. No texts means he doesnt want his wife seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

I had exactly the same thing happen a few weeks ago. Lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sammye333

The guy is obviously in a relationship. What a DICK

I had exactly the same thing happen a few weeks ago. Lucky escape.

Jesus, that makes 3 of us.. What the hell??? :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Haha!!

I thought you came in with news of you date! Has it happened yet?

Saturday, won't be posting much news as it turns out she is a boardsie. Dunno her username and doesn't post around these parts but could still track me down if started posting how the date went.

After chatting to her I could smell the whiff of boards off of her and guessed right.

Fecking boardsies everywhere. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement