Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

It may have been she doesn't want a walkover but now I am afraid to suggest doing something to make like easier on her (giving her lifts to and from dates, making dates closer to her house or at a time that suits her better) in fear I am being too nice.....oh and she is a woman, one that is nearly 5years older than me incidentally (that's for an earlier reply, how do you multiquote??)

Honestly, it sounds like you're trying too hard to second guess her. If she doesn't appreciate the little gestures you make to make things easier for her, then she doesn't really deserve you. It's the little things that make people special, so it's her loss if she sees them as negatives.

Multiquote is little button beside quote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

tatumkelly wrote: »
    It may have been she doesn't want a walkover but now I am afraid to suggest doing something to make like easier on her (giving her lifts to and from dates, making dates closer to her house or at a time that suits her better) in fear I am being too nice.....oh and she is a woman, one that is nearly 5years older than me incidentally (that's for an earlier reply, how do you multiquote??)

Honestly, it sounds like you're trying too hard to second guess her. If she doesn't appreciate the little gestures you make to make things easier for her, then she doesn't really deserve you. It's the little things that make people special, so it's her loss if she sees them as negatives.

Multiquote is little button beside quote :)

Can I meet up with you instead?? You seem like a doll!haha

Oh thanks I shall be multiquoting like a good thing from now on!!

Can I meet up with you instead?? You seem like a doll!haha

Oh thanks I shall be multiquoting like a good thing from now on!!

A doll?!! I'm going to take that as a compliment!! :o

Hate when you've been chatting to someone who seems really nice, and then he announces he's just looking for 'fun' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Honey-ec wrote: »
    On the plus side, I also had a few perfectly pleasant dates, and the three-date guy A) let me drive his Porsche and B)sent me flowers to the office. Pity I didn't fancy him, because he really was a lovely, lovely guy.

Sounds a bit MENTAL after 3 dates IMO.

• Advertisement

Hate when you've been chatting to someone who seems really nice, and then he announces he's just looking for 'fun' :rolleyes:

Sorry doll is a bit patronising, but you seem lovely......and when did I say I was after fun??haha

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

Well exactly, that's why I reckon people should be a bit more honest if they're putting up profiles on dating sites. Had one mailing me with a celebrity photo :(

Was it Jake Gylenhaal, by any chance?

It sure was ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Was told by the girl I am meeting tomorrow that she will not meet me if I remain "too nice" and "too greatful" as she says "nice guys finish last" with her!

Yeah nice guys finish last - which means she will finish first! ;)

Yeah nice guys finish last - which means she will finish first! ;)

Well then.......I really have to be a bad ass in order to finish before her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Samich wrote: »
    Often I've seen "Just want to meet a nice guy" and thought to myself, maybe I'll get places with this one.

If they say, want to meet a hot, nice guy it would be more honest :P

I can't see where I'll meet anyone in the near future, probably the earliest will be about 5 years time.

I'm such an optimist :P

But some guys would describe them selfs as nice when in fact they are not (in my opinion anyway). For example one ex who turned out to be very unreliable and selfish and really tried to get away with treating me badly would definately describe himself as 'a nice guy'... I don't think so.

As far as internet dating goes (or real life) I wouldn't take a guys word that he is nice. I'll be the judge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

http://www.pof.com/success_view.aspx?id=1979

Just logged out of pof and this was the success story....WTF?!! :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

newbee22 wrote: »

Many an account will be closed today!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

:eek: Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Galvasean wrote: »

Ah, it was nice, and I appreciated the gesture. Who says romance is dead, eh?

Anyway, I have a bad feeling about tomorrow's date, and if it goes down the swanee, my last scrap of faith in POF will be going with it.

What the fff-ing crap?

Ah, it was nice, and I appreciated the gesture. Who says romance is dead, eh?

Anyway, I have a bad feeling about tomorrow's date, and if it goes down the swanee, my last scrap of faith in POF will be going with it.

I've just come back on POF since yesterday, so far so good..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Do women really want nice guys?

Was told by the girl I am meeting tomorrow that she will not meet me if I remain "too nice" and "too greatful" as she says "nice guys finish last" with her!

Ahhhhh women!!:rolleyes:

Reminds me of that IT Crowd episode when Roy makes a personal ad to prove that women want bastards.

"Shut up! I'm not interested! These are just some of the things you'll be hearing if you answer this ad. PS: No dogs.

Or Moss' one.

"I'm going to murder you, you bloody woman!"

That_Guy wrote: »
    Reminds me of that IT Crowd episode when Roy makes a personal ad to prove that women want bastards.

"Shut up! I'm not interested! These are just some of the things you'll be hearing if you answer this ad. PS: No dogs.

Or Moss' one.

"I'm going to murder you, you bloody woman!"

Love that episode :P & him turning up looking like Fonzey

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

That is absolutely mental!! 'I like cleaning ovens cause I have a dirty mind' must be a piss take , no??

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

mood wrote: »
    Do women really want nice guys?

I know no woman who thinks or talk like that. She sounds like a girl not a woman!

I would say yes, women do want nice guys (and the ones that want bastards actually need a good counsellor) but we don't want walk overs. Considerate can sound like desperate if you aren't careful. If she wants to meet you again then she should be willing to do part or all of the travelling to meet you. If she lives too far away or can't/won't travel then you will end up resenting it.

Which is why I bite the bullet and ask what they are looking for. I'm too old and impatient to wait for it to come up in conversation.

There is hope for us all! And to think I worry about having unflattering photos of myself on my phone... Their photo has put my mind at ease :)

Is using Jake DiningHalls photo any worse than using a photo of a dog? Both are clearly not of the person on the other end of the profile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Right, I've been very bored by what POF is turning up. Nothing but messages saying "Hiya ;)" which is wrrrrrecking my head particularly since I actually gave loads of info on my profile and requested people avoid the two word intro messages..unless those words are a combination of "Free" "beer" or "Steak"!

I can make exceptions if their profile is interesting (or if they are very hot!:P). But nothing worse than seeing a few messages pop into the mailbox having a gander and being let down!

OKC is just full of Americans..attractive + literate but...IN AMERICA! So no use.

I'm giving beautifulpeople.com a go. My reasons are not entirely shallow. My reasons are that what I want from a date is a pretty girl, who can hold a conversation and that can have the banter.

With beautifulpeople.com you submit a (suitably poserish pic..admit it we've all got that one pic that you're embarassed to put elsewhere!) pic and get voted in by other users over a day or 2. (Also when your accepted, you have to submit a verification photo with your username and todays date, so it means there are no fake pics / one good photoshopped pic).

So that means no time is wasted! On someone you mightn't be attracted to. It also means your up against stiff competition that will lower your odds! But hey thats when you bring your A game and work at a message etc. as if a girl has load of lads that are pleasing on the eye messaging her "hiya" the interesting message will stand out????

Well thats my theory anyway, its only my first day on it! Anyone been on it?

Also liking this thread of similar minded folk. As if you were to spout this kind of stuff to the average, non-internety types about not being on just 1 dating site..but 3! They'd think you are desperate..I'm not! I'm just too feckin busy, to trawl coppers only to find your arm candy turns out to be dim and boring in the harsh ligh of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

On the plus side, I also had a few perfectly pleasant dates, and the three-date guy A) let me drive his Porsche and B)sent me flowers to the office. Pity I didn't fancy him, because he really was a lovely, lovely guy.

I'd agree with you Galvasean. That would freak me and make me run for the hills but different strokes for different folks I guess :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

BigDuffman wrote: »
    I'm giving beautifulpeople.com a go. My reasons are not entirely shallow. My reasons are that what I want from a date is a pretty girl, who can hold a conversation and that can have the banter.

I wouldn't have thought you are any more likely to find someone who can hold a conversation, have banter etc. on beautifulpeople.com than any other site - are you trying it because it reduces the risk of fake photos? Are there that many fake photos on pof/okc?

ladylost wrote: »

I'd agree with you Galvasean. That would freak me and make me run for the hills but different strokes for different folks I guess :-)

TBH, I don't know that a guy would know my surname after 3 dates, never mind where I work! And it would freak me out if someone sent me flowers in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

LoTwan wrote: »
    TBH, I don't know that a guy would know my surname after 3 dates, never mind where I work! And it would freak me out if someone sent me flowers in work.

Exactly, I am iffy about giving out too much personal information! Even when it's not online dating... I defo wouldn't tell them where I work, maybe what I studied but not where I work. Ireland is way too small!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

hollypink wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought you are any more likely to find someone who can hold a conversation, have banter etc.

Stereotyping much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Stereotyping much?

what do you mean?

hollypink wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought you are any more likely to find someone who can hold a conversation, have banter etc. on beautifulpeople.com than any other site - are you trying it because it reduces the risk of fake photos? Are there that many fake photos on pof/okc?

Stereotyping much?
    To be fair to her I think she is being honest and I totally agree with her! I don't see how a website marketed at "beautiful people" means they are better able to hold a conversation in anyway!

Pembily wrote: »

Exactly, I am iffy about giving out too much personal information! Even when it's not online dating... I defo wouldn't tell them where I work, maybe what I studied but not where I work. Ireland is way too small!

Ireland is so small that my first name + my profession + the county I live in = 5 minute google and you will find me!

• Advertisement

Ireland is so small that my first name + my profession + the county I live in = 5 minute google and you will find me!

Yup :) With my first name and surname and you will find me in a min me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement