Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Galvasean wrote: »
    Isn't it weird when you dated a girl, got on great, then after a while she started blanking you for no apparent reason and then they show up on POF again after a few weeks...
    Feel like mailing, "So... backed a good horse yeah?"
    I'm awfully bitchy today

Yes or when they break up with you because they've realized they don't have time for a relationship and you find them on dating sites the same day pretending to be single with no kids when they are actually divorced with kids! Sure what can you do except avoid them and thank your lucky stars for a near miss!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Owen wrote: »
    So here's an interesting one ... why do we assign a default character of 'nutjob' to everyone who online dates?

I don't think people assign it to everyone who is doing online dating but I have to say I have been messaged by a lot of strange guys online. Lots of guys on here report the same about strange women. I meet lots of 'nutjobs' on nights out too. It's not exclusive to online dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Clearly all the women are just intimidated by your beauty.

Clearly.
    Or not interested. Or something.

Well maybe... in the odd case.

Once is happenstance.
    Twice is coincidence.
    Thrice is enemy action! :eek:

So here's an interesting one ... why do we assign a default character of 'nutjob' to everyone who online dates?

Because the people who use online dating who are not crazy, given enough time, will inevitably be driven mad by it?

Ladies and gentlemen, I think I have a bunny boiler. Some girl from England on OKC mailed me the other day (looking for penpals, friendship etc.). We had lots of common interests so we mailed quite a bit. She came across as being very sound and easy to talk to.
    She asked me yesterday if I'd like to swap Facebooks. What harm I thought (this would prove to be a mistake).
    She reacted quite badly to my relationship status being 'divorced' (I'm not actually divorced - I just hate facebook relationship status changes/comments so I leave it as divorced so people can mind their own business).
    Now she shows up in facebook chat signing off messages with xxx (this didnt happen before) and gets all aggro/sarky if I dont reply to her quickly.

Moral of the story - dont trade Facebooks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

Ladies and gentlemen, I think I have a bunny boiler. Some girl from England on OKC mailed me the other day (looking for penpals, friendship etc.). We had lots of common interests so we mailed quite a bit. She came across as being very sound and easy to talk to.
    She asked me yesterday if I'd like to swap Facebooks. What harm I thought (this would prove to be a mistake).
    She reacted quite badly to my relationship status being 'divorced' (I'm not actually divorced - I just hate facebook relationship status changes/comments so I leave it as divorced so people can mind their own business).
    Now she shows up in facebook chat signing off messages with xxx (this didnt happen before) and gets all aggro/sarky if I dont reply to her quickly.

Moral of the story - dont trade Facebooks!
    Or put you're status up as single!!!

managerman wrote: »

I'm pretty sure if you are looking for a pen-pal/friendship you shouldn't get up in arms over your pen-pal's relationship status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Or delete your Facebook :D

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Or delete your Facebook :D

Might be easier to bloc/delete the scary person.

*might*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Or leave it blank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

"We" don't, I know from personal experience that there are a good few out there!
    It's Galva, that would be toooo easy :pac:

I'm pretty sure if you are looking for a pen-pal/friendship you shouldn't get up in arms over your pen-pal's relationship status.
    That's true... Sounds like a bunny boiler to me tho, do the right thing and let her down gently!

By 'let down gently' you mean run very very fast and block block block?

By 'let down gently' you mean run very very fast and block block block?

That's letting her down gently. Being harsh would be messaging her first to bitch her out. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

D'ya know what'd be great... If she booked flights to Dublin, found out where you lived and called around unexpectedly one day.

That_Guy wrote: »
    D'ya know what'd be great... If she booked flights to Dublin, found out where you lived and called around unexpectedly one day.

I pity anyone who knocks around to my school for super powered mutants looking for trouble.

That_Guy wrote: »
    That would be one of the best stories ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Isn't it weird when you dated a girl, got on great, then after a while she started blanking you for no apparent reason and then they show up on POF again after a few weeks...
    Feel like mailing, "So... backed a good horse yeah?"
    I'm awfully bitchy today

I changed my username on a site & obv the guy from a few weeks ago did too because he messaged the new me! He was instantly recognisable & I wanted to say "so what happened with the last girl you met?" but I decided not to bother. His loss blah blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

krudler wrote: »
    so I decided to join pof, first person I talk to....is a boardsie :pac:
    Larianne wrote: »
    Careful of those boardsies Krud. ;)

Mad, the lot of them...

...oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

A few days ago I got a message from a guy, simply saying "hi how u keeping", I replied saying "I'm grand, how are you?". His reply this morning was "good. would u go for a drink with me sometime?" :confused:

So I've sent this guy one message and he wants to meet me. Is this a record?!!

• Advertisement

Kaldea wrote: »
    Had a hairy experience a few weeks ago

Hairy experience....
    <<< THE USERNAME!!!

CAUGHT RAPID. :pac:

Ugh, I have to much time on my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I've had people send me their phone number in the very first message. I do be like "Whoah there, John B. Keane".

I had quite possibly the most tasteful, charming first message in my time on POF there this morning too.

"Have you ever been given a chocolate stick to sit on?"

Vomit.

Honey-ec wrote: »

Vomit.

Niiiice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I've had people send me their phone number in the very first message. I do be like "Whoah there, John B. Keane".

I had quite possibly the most tasteful, charming first message in my time on POF there this morning too.

Vomit.

LOL. It's a pity that most of the good guys(like me) are buried beneath all the tossers like that guy!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

LOL. It's a pity that most of the good guys(like me) are buried beneath all the tossers like that guy!!!!!
    You're right on saying that!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

On Sunday I had a "how r u 2day? Wer in (county name) r u?". I was bored so I replied "fine, you?" and got "wnt 2 mt in (village name) at 1.30" I kept forgetting to reply. Doh!

How are everyone's midweek arrangements? Anyone got anything interesting in the works?

LoTwan wrote: »
    On Sunday I had a "how r u 2day? Wer in (county name) r u?". I was bored so I replied "fine, you?" and got "wnt 2 mt in (village name) at 1.30" I kept forgetting to reply. Doh!

How are everyone's midweek arrangements? Anyone got anything interesting in the works?

Personally I wouldn't reply to ANYONE who used text speak.

Personally I wouldn't reply to ANYONE who used text speak.

I don't mind the odd bit of it, although I wouldn't use it myself. Replacing 'you' with 'u,' I don't mind too much. But full text speak would do my head in. It takes me too long to read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Seriously, 39 years of age and this is what's written on a profile:rolleyes:

like football,horse racing,i like weekends away,i hate flying[cant sleep thinking about what could happen weeks leading up to a flight],it ruins d whole holiday for me.ihate working overtime for d taxman a real kick in d bolax.i like a few drinks wit my friends,dats al im telling about dis kid so if u wanna know more drop me a message if u want or not

for d first date i dont know what id do or d second or d third date for dat matter,i definitely would know what id do on the fourth date.its a secret

I would not expect a grown adult to write like that...:confused:

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Seriously, 39 years of age and this is what's written on a profile:rolleyes:

like football,horse racing,i like weekends away,i hate flying[cant sleep thinking about what could happen weeks leading up to a flight],it ruins d whole holiday for me.ihate working overtime for d taxman a real kick in d bolax.i like a few drinks wit my friends,dats al im telling about dis kid so if u wanna know more drop me a message if u want or not

for d first date i dont know what id do or d second or d third date for dat matter,i definitely would know what id do on the fourth date.its a secret

I would not expect a grown adult to write like that...:confused:

Takin' the p***(hopefully) I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement