Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

TBi wrote: »
    Everyone has issues with phones, could be that someone gets a bad phone and hates that phone. Although everyone has their own likes and dislikes so while someone might not like how a phone OS works, other people might.

I've used WP7 for a year now, I bought the phone (HTC Trophy) because i got a great deal on amazon. Never thought i'd use it more than a week but a year later it's still my main phone. It does some things so well, and so much better than iOS, that i'm still not sure about getting the 4S i said i'd get.

Also i tried Android and bloody well hated it. I consider myself a 'power user' but i like my phone to just work, android didn't. iOS and WP7 do.

I much prefer WP7 to Android and I much prefer iOS to WP7.
    ...and you should bare in mind that people don't usually go on the internet to praise things :) only to complain when they dislike something or its not working :)

Responses from most people here are fine now, there was a bit of frustration in the start with the battery issue but things seems to be fine now.

If no front facing camera and no WiFi Hotspot doesn't bother you its well worth a shot.

As in previous page depending on your usage you can expect around 2 days from a windows phone, maybe more if your a very light user.

Heavy user can expect a day at least. Lumia 900 is coming pretty soon, its not as stunning as the 800 in design, but it has a front facing camera and tethering and a bigger nicer screen.

Some things can be fixed by software. Other things like the screen, camera without BSI and a soft louder speaker can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

As a past IOS (iphone 3gs and 4)and Android (samsung galaxy s2) I have to say the lumia is on a par with the best both of these can offer (apart from the camera in bad light). I absolutely love the interface and as a previous poster mentioned the group set up on home screen thingy:D is cool. I can honestly say too that the only app i miss that I can't get an alternative for is the journal.ie. Absolutely love the phone. Don't get me wrong the iphone is a brilliant phone but I was just sick of it. I also miss having a brilliant camera (galaxy S 2) and I never used front facing camera so don't miss that but I can see it being an issue for some. I honestly can say that at the moment I wouldn't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Quick question - Is the Nokia Lumia 800 a good phone? Have a galaxy S, annoyed with android been spasticated and crap battery life - Is this phone any better?
    Thanks

How long is a piece of string?

If you've never used a Windows Phone before then you'll really have to try one out before you decide whether it's for you or not.

As for the battery life issue, I work around that by carrying a fully-charged spare with me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Has anyone received the firmware update on Meteor yet? The useless battery on this thing is a constant annoyance and, as far as I can find out, I can't force the update without a Windows computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

ok, phone ordered. just want a windows phone. Has to be better than crappy android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

impr0v wrote: »
    Has anyone received the firmware update on Meteor yet? The useless battery on this thing is a constant annoyance and, as far as I can find out, I can't force the update without a Windows computer.

no, updates work from the connector for Mac too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Queerdub wrote: »
    no, updates work from the connector for Mac too.

He was making the point that you can't 'force' the update like you can in windows. On a Mac you have to wait for the legit version to be released, windows has tools to update to a new version even if your carrier hasn't released it yet.

He was making the point that you can't 'force' the update like you can in windows. On a Mac you have to wait for the legit version to be released, windows has tools to update to a new version even if your carrier hasn't released it yet.

Indeed I was. Someone posted here a while ago asking whether one should think twice about getting this phone if one has a Mac. In short, one should.

Indeed I was. Someone posted here a while ago asking whether one should think twice about getting this phone if one has a Mac. In short, one should.

You can install windows on your mac, bit overkill but it will work. Or find a friend with a PC, you just need zune and the cabsender program installed to update the phone.

I'm sure there are many WP7 enthusiasts here who you could ask to upgrade your phone for you, although i understand it's a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Not really, all the necessary functions are available with the Mac connector for the average Joe.

Most advanced folks would already have Windows running on the side on their Mac :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Not really, all the necessary functions are available with the Mac connector for the average Joe.

Most advanced folks would already have Windows running on the side on their Mac :)

Speaking of a bit on the side. I am typing this from Windows 8 Release Preview, running a dual boot situation with Windows 7. I wonder how it will play with Zune. I shall report back...

Ronan H wrote: »

Speaking of a bit on the side. I am typing this from Windows 8 Release Preview, running a dual boot situation with Windows 7. I wonder how it will play with Zune. I shall report back...

Zune works fine and worked fine since the first release of windows 8

Well I guess that puts me somewhere in between average and advanced!

There is obviously some justification for saying that my problem is with Meteor, who can't be bothered or just aren't organised enough to push the firmware update, but in fact the problem is ultimately a Nokia one; it released a phone with AWFUL battery management (or perhaps just an awful battery). Caught between a useless network provider and a troubled phone maker, the option to force an update is something that the average Joe would, I imagine, like to have regardless of what computer hardware he has.

Anyway, the Mac connector software is pretty rudimentary. I have never used Zune or seen it in use, but I imagine it must be better than the clunky interface that the Mac connector provides. One is left with the sense of only being partially connected to the phone. Though there are lots of things that I like about the Lumia, that is one of the things that makes me regret not getting a boring and ubiquitous iPhone.

Well I guess that puts me somewhere in between average and advanced!

There is obviously some justification for saying that my problem is with Meteor, who can't be bothered or just aren't organised enough to push the firmware update, but in fact the problem is ultimately a Nokia one; it released a phone with AWFUL battery management (or perhaps just an awful battery). Caught between a useless network provider and a troubled phone maker, the option to force an update is something that the average Joe would, I imagine, like to have regardless of what computer hardware he has.

Anyway, the Mac connector software is pretty rudimentary. I have never used Zune or seen it in use, but I imagine it must be better than the clunky interface that the Mac connector provides. One is left with the sense of only being partially connected to the phone. Though there are lots of things that I like about the Lumia, that is one of the things that makes me regret not getting a boring and ubiquitous iPhone.

I think you're right. Updates should be delivered directly, without having to be approved by the carrier. Especially for something to rectify battery life. I don't know why Nokia can't bypass the carriers on this, but I'm more inclined to blame the respective carriers who claim they need to test the software with their networks. Apple is a bit of an arrogant company who can dictate to the carriers and bypass them for updates so I wouldn't blame Nokia for this. Nokia are doing their best to ensure customer satisfaction given the constraints that they face.

Lumia 610 is available at car phone warehouse. Guess the price ? 219 euro O.o

Extremely over priced when put beside the Xperia U

not exactly given all the Nokia services that come free...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Queerdub wrote: »

not exactly given all the Nokia services that come free...

Still not really worth it. Especially considering that it cant run certain apps (Skype being a big one).

Didnt Nokia say that the RRP of the Lumia 710 was €250? And Carphone are trying to sell the 610 for €219? Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cool Story Bro

Design is nice. However the app store isn't as developed as Apples or Androids. Microsoft never make the best operating systems IMO but Windows Phone seems good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Zune works fine and worked fine since the first release of windows 8

It does indeed, proper order really. It appears that Zune is on the way out anyway, lots of reports of it being executed by Microsoft in the next while...

Can't say I'm disappointed TBH. I'm not a fan of it.

Anyone have any ideas on whether the memory in the Lumia 800 will ever be accessible (properly, not via a homebrew'd hack) as mass storage? And any idea why it isn't? Is it something to do with the way the phone is designed or did I imagine reading something like that somewhere. That is one feature I miss on the phone, well, it's not really a feature, more of an aspect of the phone. Pity really, it's so handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

DjFlin wrote: »
    Still not really worth it. Especially considering that it cant run certain apps (Skype being a big one).

Didnt Nokia say that the RRP of the Lumia 710 was €250? And Carphone are trying to sell the 610 for €219? Madness!

You can buy an unlocked Lumia 710 in the north for £99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

DjFlin wrote: »

You can buy an unlocked Lumia 710 in the north for £99.

Where? Link? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

I don't know about the unlocked bit, but if you look at the UK Carphone Warehouse Site - it's on all the major networks there on pre-pay at either 99 or 109 Stg.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/choose-tariff/NOKIA_LUMIA_710/PPAY/NEW?network=

Neffa2 wrote: »
    I don't know about the unlocked bit, but if you look at the UK Carphone Warehouse Site - it's on all the major networks there on pre-pay at either 99 or 109 Stg.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/choose-tariff/NOKIA_LUMIA_710/PPAY/NEW?network=

Would be nice if they brought it out at that price here. Would be a steal at that price.

Neffa2 wrote: »

Yea that's it. All CPW phones are unlocked. I'm on €10 a month for unlimited calls and texts with 48.

Edit: Oh and you can buy it as an upgrade for £89.

Yea that's it. All CPW phones are unlocked. I'm on €10 a month for unlimited calls and texts with 48.

Not all phones are unlocked. Its usually only the initial batch that are unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Not all phones are unlocked. Its usually only the initial batch that are unlocked.

Truth of the matter is we are fleeced here on phones only discussing about the 610 last night with a friend it's 249 on meteor I've addressed this with them it's too expensive same applies to the 710.
    the first batch of new phones will be unlocked in the cpw and some networks

Oh and you get £20 to spend on apps and a 6 month free zune pass and £99 free earphones. Not to mention nokia maps which is a free offline gps system.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

Does anybody know where to get a Lumia 800 unlocked? I've tried a couple of places in town but they said they can't unlock it yet. I know someone mentioned GSM Solutions earlier in this thread, but they were one of the shops that I visited. I did get a quote of 60 euro in one shop but that seemed a bit pricey!

ballyrhy86 wrote: »
    Does anybody know where to get a Lumia 800 unlocked? I've tried a couple of places in town but they said they can't unlock it yet. I know someone mentioned GSM Solutions earlier in this thread, but they were one of the shops that I visited. I did get a quote of 60 euro in one shop but that seemed a bit pricey!

Ask the network you bought it from to unlock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

Ask the network you bought it from to unlock it.

I didn't buy it off Vodafone, I bought it 2nd hand, does this make any odds?

Advertisement