Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 800

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

When I went into the Meteor store this morning they guy there had had the exact same experience with the cable I was using, he gave me a replacement one from a sony ericsson and now everything's just working fine.

Great Success!

Quality of the cable can have an impact but didn't think it would be this much. I've had problems with portable hardrives and USB cables. There was too much of a voltage drop along the cable so the hard disk couldn't spin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Has anyone noticed when on a call,sometimes you can hear bell type noises in the background, ,like a xylophone or something?

Also anyway having issues with feedback / echo on calls on the 800?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Bulmers wrote: »
    Also anyway having issues with feedback / echo on calls on the 800?

I've experienced the same. Peculiar too given that both the caller and I would have a full, perfect signal and we'd be in quiet enough areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bulmers wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed when on a call,sometimes you can hear bell type noises in the background, ,like a xylophone or something?

That's notification sounds for receiving emails, messages etc when you are on a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

TBi wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronan H viewpost.gif
    So in order to send picture messages, that toggle has to be set to on?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mad muffin viewpost.gif
    Yes, and that's the problem. If you have it enabled and you want to send the same text to two people you'll be charged for an MMS.

I have "Group Text" off and i can still send MMS messages.

Yep, there seems to be more to the MMS thing than just hitting that toggle. I think it's a settings thing. I've run the Network Settings app from Marketplace but I still can't send them!

• Advertisement

Ronan H wrote: »
    Yep, there seems to be more to the MMS thing than just hitting that toggle. I think it's a settings thing. I've run the Network Settings app from Marketplace but I still can't send them!

When i changed to an iPhone (original before it was released here) meteor disabled my mms sending ability for some reason (I had the iPhone jailbroken with MMS app). I could send on my old Sony Ericcsson before i put the sim into the iPhone but it wouldn't work any more even when i switched it back.

I just called up, they changed a setting and i could send MMS again. Might be worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

adox wrote: »
    That's notification sounds for receiving emails, messages etc when you are on a call.

dont think so, it's constantly in the call when it happens and i dont get that many emails..also it has happened when i was in uk with data roaming turned off as uk phone

called vf and they said any echo issues are handset problems..been ok last few days but something just noticed since switched to lumia.

Eh, I'm surprised nobody has made a song and dance yet, so...

VIBER IN DA HOUSE Y'ALL

...loosely translated to mean:

Good evening one and all, Viber is now available in Marketplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

VIBER IN DA HOUSE Y'ALL

lol not much need for one :) At least its keeping that troll away anyway :)

tumblrl96b01l36p1qdhmifx.jpg

VIBER IN DA HOUSE Y'ALL

Texting only though, already mentioned in a previous post on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭talla

any sign of wifi tethering yet? Heading over to the euros in 2 weeks and dont want to have to bring my old sg2.

Texting only though, already mentioned in a previous post on this thread.

Wow I must have missed that :rolleyes:.

The most recent mention of Viber that I can find on this thread (apart from my own fleeting reference here) is on May 1st when that CyberGhost guy was going on about it here.

Furthermore, I can find no reference whatsoever to the "Texting only" Viber issue in this thread, but hey, I'm open to correction on that in case I missed it on one of the fifty odd pages.

Additionally, the point of my post was to mention the fact that Viber is now available. Doing such a thing is entirely valid, firstly because nobody else has mentioned that it had been released into the Marketplace, and secondly, because such behaviour, i.e. people coming in to say that new apps are released etc., is a common feature of this thread.

OK, so I've done the "furthermore" bit, and the "additionally" bit, so what's left is...em..oh yes...

...finally: What exactly, may I ask, is the point of your comment?

[\sarcasm \annoyed \takingItTooFar?]

talla wrote: »
    any sign of wifi tethering yet? Heading over to the euros in 2 weeks and dont want to have to bring my old sg2.

Word is that it's due with the Tango update, but that's not available yet unfortunately :(!

Looking forward to it though...

Wow I must have missed that :rolleyes:.

The most recent mention of Viber that I can find on this thread (apart from my own fleeting reference here) is on May 1st when that CyberGhost guy was going on about it here.

Furthermore, I can find no reference whatsoever to the "Texting only" Viber issue in this thread, but hey, I'm open to correction on that in case I missed it on one of the fifty odd pages.

Additionally, the point of my post was to mention the fact that Viber is now available. Doing such a thing is entirely valid, firstly because nobody else has mentioned that it had been released into the Marketplace, and secondly, because such behaviour, i.e. people coming in to say that new apps are released etc., is a common feature of this thread.

OK, so I've done the "furthermore" bit, and the "additionally" bit, so what's left is...em..oh yes...

...finally: What exactly, may I ask, is the point of your comment?

[\sarcasm \annoyed \takingItTooFar?]

I was mistaken. It was posted on another thread about Viber a couple of weeks back.
    Viber 'Beta' is finally out voice call not yet supported.

The point of my comment was(when you eventually asked after having a rather childish tantrum) that it is in Beta mode and doesnt currently have voice calls enabled, something you failed to mention in your belated euphoria.

The other point about it being already posted was a mistake as I have pointed out. It wasnt a personal dig at you. There were no roll eyes after the comment so I dont know what you are getting your knickers in a twist about.

The other point about it being already posted was a mistake as I have pointed out. It wasnt a personal dig at you. There were no roll eyes after the comment so I dont know what you are getting your knickers in a twist about.

I got my knickers in a twist because your comment seemed curt and dismissive. And even if it was posted already, there was no need to point that out, just get on with the topic at hand instead of pointing out that something has been said already.

Now, getting back on topic again, it's BETA status is living up to, exactly that. There are certainly a few bugs etc. Apart from the whole lack of voice calls, I'm not sure the notifications are working well either, particularly in lockscreen. My notifications all seem to clatter in at once as soon as I dismiss the lockscreen, but as someone said here (or maybe it was in the Marketplace reviews :confused:), BETA Viber is better than no Viber!

Hopefully the updates will come regularly to keep people happy. Having used WhatsApp for a while I'm not a fan. I guess it's the same thing as Viber to a great extent but I'm just not feeling it and I can't quite put my finger on it.

The Lumia itself is performing well since the recent firmware shot. Battery life is not even something I think about as an issue now, horray to that!

I got my knickers in a twist because your comment seemed curt and dismissive.

Fair enough. Its not how I meant it, more of an observation than trying to be a smart arse.
    The Lumia itself is performing well since the recent firmware shot. Battery life is not even something I think about as an issue now, horray to that!

Im regularly getting 2 days now out if since the last update, with what I`d call modest to medium use and a day with heavy use. Its fantastic compared to what it used to be so kudos to Nokia for getting it sorted.

Im regularly getting 2 days now out if since the last update, with what I`d call modest to medium use and a day with heavy use. Its fantastic compared to what it used to be so kudos to Nokia for getting it sorted.

Same here, but it's also probably to do with the fact that I have shifted into a "normal" usage pattern from the "got a new phone and can't put it down" phase that we (well, me anyway) all go through.

It is good that they got it sorted, good for the end users, but I'm still a bit reluctant to issue too many pats on the back to a global giant like Nokia for fixing an issue that, arguably, shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I dunno if end users are becoming more tolerant these days or if the standard of hardware is not as good as it used to be in the past. There seems to be regular reports of significant issues with various pieces of technology these days, particularly phones. The iPhone aerial calamity, the Lumia 900 purple screen issue, and I was reading today about the Lumia 610 not being able to run loads of apps...and so on.

Getting a solid and reliable product to the market seems to me like a better approach than sending one out that has issues. Now I know it's not as clear cut or as simple as that, but it just makes me wonder sometimes.

Quality seems to be harder to come by these days, and people seem to be (more) willing to put up with that, that's all.

Same here, but it's also probably to do with the fact that I have shifted into a "normal" usage pattern from the "got a new phone and can't put it down" phase that we (well, me anyway) all go through.

It is good that they got it sorted, good for the end users, but I'm still a bit reluctant to issue too many pats on the back to a global giant like Nokia for fixing an issue that, arguably, shouldn't have been there in the first place.

I dunno if end users are becoming more tolerant these days or if the standard of hardware is not as good as it used to be in the past. There seems to be regular reports of significant issues with various pieces of technology these days, particularly phones. The iPhone aerial calamity, the Lumia 900 purple screen issue, and I was reading today about the Lumia 610 not being able to run loads of apps...and so on.

Getting a solid and reliable product to the market seems to me like a better approach than sending one out that has issues. Now I know it's not as clear cut or as simple as that, but it just makes me wonder sometimes.

Quality seems to be harder to come by these days, and people seem to be (more) willing to put up with that, that's all.

Its just that software got a lot more complicated since the good old days where the phone was only meant for calls and text.

While its no excuse to ship a phone out with software bugs, its a hard thing to see when the products go out into the real world and millions of new variables arise that just cant be tested in labs.

Hence why we have the ability to perform software upgrades. Every one knows that Lumia 610 wont be able to run all the apps. Thats the price you have to pay when buying lower end hardware. Not everything can run on it, its up to the developers really to optimize the apps for lower end at this stage. Its close enough the same on Android, if you pick up a low end Android device you might not see all the apps. I think at this stage Android developers had more time to adjust to that.

At the end of the day, the majority of the market will be low end. Not everyone wants to sign up to a contract, not everyone wants to pay 100's on a phone. Some want it for calls and texts, some wouldn't even consider going above 100 euro's

We will see how that plays out, in some countries the 610 price was nearly higher than 710 which is strange.

If they managed to cut it down to around 150 around here it would sell great, if they managed to come out with something that maxes out at 100 euro it would sell like hot cakes.

Android didn't kick of like flies around ****e till Samsung heavily penetrated 100 euro price range with their mini, Europa and Y line. Them things are selling well cause their smartphones with all the functions for such a low price.

Well yeah I guess the technology has grown exponentially in the past ten years and as things become more complicated, then so does the error testing etc.

I still think it is unfortunate though. Is it impossible to thoroughly test hardware and software (two different worlds I know) to such a level that huge issues like the iPhone antenna thing and the Lumia 800 battery issue couldn't be ruled out entirely before being released? I don't think that errors like those are acceptable. Three or four software / firmware upgrades over the course of nearly six months to remedy a battery issue on a phone? Sorry lads, no pat on the back for that.

Anyway, this is is a bit of a wider debate I guess and slightly OT so let's get back to the phone. I keep asking my wife (a new iPhone convert) each day "What's your favourite thing about your iPhone today?", so in that vein, I wish to say that my favourite thing about my Lumia 800 today is...

...the screen. I am loving that ClearBlack or whatever-it's-called glass. It's pretty much legend in all types of lighting, and great in the sun we have had for the last few days.

ANyone else want to share?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

There's a completely true phrase in software engineering: when someone uses your software, they're testing it. :)

Anyway, back on topic! What I love about my Windows Phone...

One of my housemates moved out there yesterday, so I removed her from the "Housemates" group that I've got pinned to my Start screen, next to "Family" and just above Send Away The Tigers by Manic Street Preachers. So I love the Start screen, and how it's a snapshot of things for me. :D

And a rumour for good measure:
    Waggener Edstrom person says MSFT has Windows 8 (for x86), Windows RT (for next-gen ARM), & Windows Phone 8 (for current-gen phones).

http://mymicrosoftlife.com/2012/05/23/rep-says-that-windows-phone-8-is-for-current-gen-phones/

Frankly I'll believe it when I see it. :D

• Advertisement

What sort of a "group" setup have you got? As in, a group of contacts that you can contact / share with all at once sort of thing?

I never got down with the group thing, maybe I'm missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

I just have the group thing that's built into the OS. Usually I use it if I need to text everyone at the same time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Quick question - Is the Nokia Lumia 800 a good phone? Have a galaxy S, annoyed with android been spasticated and crap battery life - Is this phone any better?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Quick question - Is the Nokia Lumia 800 a good phone? Have a galaxy S, annoyed with android been spasticated and crap battery life - Is this phone any better?
    Thanks

What a word :D

Thanks

That's a big question. I have never had an Andriod phone so I can't give much in the way of a comparison, but I can comment on a few things. The battery, although not without its issues initially, has been sorted now pretty much and you can get up to two days out of it now with regular use. I'm getting that consistently.

The phone itself is very fast, and very stable. I've had no speed issues whatsoever, even running a few apps at once, and it is totally stable from my experience also. It has never stalled, stuttered or frozen.

You should buzz through some of this thread because there really is some good information in it about the phone. An "is this phone good" question is subjective so someone else might think its slow and unstable, so read up on it from as many sources as possible. I myself was quite critical of the phone when it came out first, and while its not perfect, it has grown on me.

There are plenty people here who will give you a better answer as they will have Andriod experience also, and im sure they will be along any minute to offer some pearls of wisdom!

Good luck in your quest!

Ro

Edit: Why can't I spell Andriod properly?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ro

Still can't - Android :)

chrislad wrote: »
    Ro

Still can't - Android :)

The typo in the edit was intentional! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Thanks

I'm probably in the minority here but I thought it was a pretty awful phone. Do a search under my name if you want to know why.

mad muffin wrote: »
    I'm probably in the minority here but I thought it was a pretty awful phone. Do a search under my name if you want to know why.

Everyone has issues with phones, could be that someone gets a bad phone and hates that phone. Although everyone has their own likes and dislikes so while someone might not like how a phone OS works, other people might.

I've used WP7 for a year now, I bought the phone (HTC Trophy) because i got a great deal on amazon. Never thought i'd use it more than a week but a year later it's still my main phone. It does some things so well, and so much better than iOS, that i'm still not sure about getting the 4S i said i'd get.

Also i tried Android and bloody well hated it. I consider myself a 'power user' but i like my phone to just work, android didn't. iOS and WP7 do.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »

...and you should bare in mind that people don't usually go on the internet to praise things :) only to complain when they dislike something or its not working :)

Responses from most people here are fine now, there was a bit of frustration in the start with the battery issue but things seems to be fine now.

If no front facing camera and no WiFi Hotspot doesn't bother you its well worth a shot.

As in previous page depending on your usage you can expect around 2 days from a windows phone, maybe more if your a very light user.

Heavy user can expect a day at least. Lumia 900 is coming pretty soon, its not as stunning as the 800 in design, but it has a front facing camera and tethering and a bigger nicer screen.

Advertisement