Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diablo 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    What kind of advice would ye offer a beginner,should i play normal and get as much gold as possible and loot or should I just get through it and wait until i get to nightmare before i start gold farming?
    Also a lot of people are giving out about the auction house,should i just avoid buying things from it and use the loot i pick up?

There is no reason to farm items until inferno, The AH is so saturated from the lower difficulty items that unless you manage to get a near perfect roll you won't be getting much gold and as a result, You can obtain some pretty powerful gear for sub 10k up until inferno anyway.

Unless you have a reason(such as you think it spoils the game), Don't avoid the AH. Sure it is really badly made but it provides a vital source of items to keep your character(s) up to date. After all, Blizzard have purposely lowered the drop rate of all items in order to facilitate the AH so you would be shooting yourself in the foot if you avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I have just entered it. I will start clearing tomorrow and see how it goes. I prefer more open spaces as kiiter . Cheers for tip though, I will defenetly try it out, but dunno if I will be doing butcher. It was a pain in a hole on hell.

For a wizard its pretty handy, i love long narrow spaces as it bunches them up for my hydra and i can block them for a few seconds with mirror image + follower. Haven't come across anything thats hasn't been easy enough to kill tbh.
    what difficultly level were playing when you were fighting belial?

Inferno, haven't went back to him since this morning tho. Will give it another bash tomorrow i think.
    The only things i bought on the AH was a 550DPS Magic 1h and Magic Mojo. Decent enough gear but im hitting 15k DPS IN my DPS gear. How in the hells are you getting 19k DPS with all the MF and 35k DPS as a Wizard only in Act 2. Are Witch Doctors really as underpowered as everyone says they are, or are Wiz and DH the ultimate DPS machines?

I just bought most of the gear off the AH tbh, bought a 1106 dmg staff earlier which boasted the **** out of my damage. Weapon is by far the most important thing really.

k3ljj5.jpg

Yes... i look like a bad ass... I swap that about and change 20% MF for about 5k damage tho, but thats more than enough damage for the run i've been doing anyway. As for WD, im not entirely sure tbh, i only really grouped with one once and he seemed good, had lots of minions and ****.. my damage is pretty insane tbh and my gear isn't really that great yet. Arcane orbs hit for about 40-50k usually, hyrda max ticks at about 20-25k.
    And how is the DPS stat actually calculated?

Not entirely sure, its quite confusing really... its like (int/100 * weapon damage) * (crit*critdamage/100) + (attackspeed modifers * weapon damage). Probably nothing like that :D but yeah.... weapon damage is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

BizzyC wrote: »
    Auction House has made the game too easy.

After buying a bunch of +Dex gear, my Monk jumped to 400Dps.
    Level 27 now, one shotting most mobs in Act 3 normal...tore through Belial with ease

I've 23,000 dps and trash mobs takes several hits to kill.
    Welcome to Inferno.

AH does ruin Normal-->Hell, and certainly helps in Inferno, but not everything you need is on the AH and you won't be able to afford most of the really good stuff....at least for a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I've 23,000 dps and trash mobs takes several hits to kill.
    Welcome to Inferno.

AH does ruin Normal-->Hell, and certainly helps in Inferno, but not everything you need is on the AH and you won't be able to afford most of the really good stuff....at least for a week or so.

Its actually silly how many items you can get for cheap on the AH, the only thing you'll really struggle to get for anything less than 200k+ is a good weapon. My blue rings cost about 10k each, both add about 2-3k dps (71int + 15% attack speed). Really a little bit of know how goes a long way on the AH, for instance, i just bought set of boots for 40k and sold them for 200k within 10 mins !

The AH is crazy, some people haven't a clue how much some stuff is worth, can make a fortune quite easily tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I wonder how it will translate when the REAL money auction house opens.
    What do you think will be the price for say 1million Gold ? ...considering it's so easy to make at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Finally cleared this with my Wizard on normal last night. Pretty underwhelmed overall, and quite disappointed with the story tbh. I know it's not really about the story, but it ended pretty badly. Maybe i was just spoiled with Starcraft 2's cinematic's, but none of these ones really stood out.

Might play through Nightmare now, but the AH really puts me off. I know i don't have to use it, but it really ruins the game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Missed you riding shotgun Sean, we done so much of the game together...we will have to roll a new char and start again!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Missed you riding shotgun Sean, we done so much of the game together...we will have to roll a new char and start again!

Hahah yeah :) , been busy this weekend watching Barca in Madrid, and then enjoying any/all the sun we've had :P
    I'm off for a few days from Wednesday, so we can re-rollout !! Like autobots !
    I'll be scrounging off you for moneyz as I'm sure you're rich by now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I wonder how it will translate when the REAL money auction house opens.
    What do you think will be the price for say 1million Gold ? ...considering it's so easy to make at this stage

I assume you mean the equivalent price 1m will translate too as you won't be able to buy gold from the AH.

I would hazard a guess it will start out high and 1 million will equate to around €1 which is way too high but within 2 or 3 weeks it will drop significantly.

Obviously this is all just guess work and I could be way off the mark!!
    Kiith wrote: »
    Finally cleared this with my Wizard on normal last night. Pretty underwhelmed overall, and quite disappointed with the story tbh. I know it's not really about the story, but it ended pretty badly. Maybe i was just spoiled with Starcraft 2's cinematic's, but none of these ones really stood out.

Might play through Nightmare now, but the AH really puts me off. I know i don't have to use it, but it really ruins the game imo.

I assume you played and finished both of the original? If not then how can you expect to get anything from a story that's pretty much the very end of the saga and is heavily tied into both the first and second game? And for the record, the cinematic where
    Diablo enters the high heavens
    is absolutely excellent, sorry!! :pac:

On the subject of the AH and normal, why anyone would ever go near the AH before level 55+ is absurd. Normal mode is pretty much a tutorial play through, it's insanely easy and picking up gear in the AH makes absolutely no sense unless you enjoy ruining the only extremely small challenge, act bosses. It's for gearing out for Inferno, the games real challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Hello gents (and ladies!)

I just handed my 2 weeks notice into work and I'm going to begin putting in the time to play D3 on Inferno pretty hard. However, I'm getting my butt-raped in the latter Acts of Hell (I'm almost at Azmodan now).

I'm a freshly-dinged 60 but my gear is pretty awful. My bags and stash are FULL of rares and blues that I can sell on AH but of course there's a 10 item limit and that sucks donkey-d*ck. Anyway, my gear is pretty "awful". I'm working on different item sets - one is full Dex+Vit with Shield - and the other is regular + dmg gear. My "tanking" gear is far from complete.

Sitting in work at the moment but I think my stats are around

5.2K DPS
    16K HP

I play a Monk so Elites, or at least some combo's are just god-awful. I'm looking for a buddy to farm/progress through Inferno/late stages of Hell with me. Ideally I'd prefer a non-monk because I'd love the gear but I'm cool with whatever. If anyone's interested let me know here or hit me up with a PM. I currently live in Toronto and I get home at about 7:30PM Irish time everyday. If that sounds good to anyone let me know!

I've also got 3 (NA) Guest Passes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Big Knox wrote: »
    I assume you played and finished both of the original? If not then how can you expect to get anything from a story that's pretty much the very end of the saga and is heavily tied into both the first and second game? And for the record, the cinematic where
    Diablo enters the high heavens
    is absolutely excellent, sorry!! :pac:

Yeah, i've played and finished both of them. I just thought Diablo 2 had a better story overall, and a much better ending. Baal and Marius in the asylum and all that. Was really good. And i guess i was just hoping for something better for the final cinematic, which was a bit of a non-event.

I'll give you the point about the
    Diablo entering Heaven
    cinematic. That was pretty excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Hello gents (and ladies!)

I just handed my 2 weeks notice into work and I'm going to begin putting in the time to play D3 on Inferno pretty hard. However, I'm getting my butt-raped in the latter Acts of Hell (I'm almost at Azmodan now).

I'm a freshly-dinged 60 but my gear is pretty awful. My bags and stash are FULL of rares and blues that I can sell on AH but of course there's a 10 item limit and that sucks donkey-d*ck. Anyway, my gear is pretty "awful". I'm working on different item sets - one is full Dex+Vit with Shield - and the other is regular + dmg gear. My "tanking" gear is far from complete.

Sitting in work at the moment but I think my stats are around

5.2K DPS
    16K HP

I play a Monk so Elites, or at least some combo's are just god-awful. I'm looking for a buddy to farm/progress through Inferno/late stages of Hell with me. Ideally I'd prefer a non-monk because I'd love the gear but I'm cool with whatever. If anyone's interested let me know here or hit me up with a PM. I currently live in Toronto and I get home at about 7:30PM Irish time everyday. If that sounds good to anyone let me know!

I've also got 3 (NA) Guest Passes.

Now that's dedication

dorgasm wrote: »
    Now that's dedication

Hahahaha, it's not for D3. I'm going to return home to Ireland sometime at the end of July so I took a few weeks off to enjoy the summer of 35+ here in Toronto before then ;)

Enjoy the 35+ summer behind a screen looting dungeons :D

Hardcore or no core :>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Coming hat in hand to you guys wondering if someone be so kind to give me their guess pass? Would really like to get this game but not sure if I'm gonna be able to run it all that well so a bit hesitant to go out and buy

go-play-outside-18434.jpg

Magill wrote: »
    Its actually silly how many items you can get for cheap on the AH, the only thing you'll really struggle to get for anything less than 200k+ is a good weapon. My blue rings cost about 10k each, both add about 2-3k dps (71int + 15% attack speed). Really a little bit of know how goes a long way on the AH, for instance, i just bought set of boots for 40k and sold them for 200k within 10 mins !

The AH is crazy, some people haven't a clue how much some stuff is worth, can make a fortune quite easily tbh.

Some people sell stuff cheap on purpose. I play a lot and will easily get 30-40 sell-able items within 2 days. With auctions lasting 2 days, with no way to withdraw items or make the auction shorter, it's better for me to sell cheap and often.

Kiith wrote: »

While the story doesn't change. The game becomes a lot more fun in Hell and Inferno. Normal is a tutorial, NM is for casual players, hell gets tricky in places and Inferno requires a good deal of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Big Knox wrote: »
    I assume you mean the equivalent price 1m will translate too as you won't be able to buy gold from the AH..

Yes, you will. They've said so. And blizzard will take their cut. It's an attempt to combat gold sellers, as blizzard don't make money from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Upcoming patch info: http://www.diablofans.com/news/1222-diablo-iii-game-design-update/

Statistics on builds and other interesting things.
    Patch 1.0.2, which has been in development since the game launched, should go live sometime within the next week
    In patch 1.0.3 they will be showing the ilvl budget on level 60+ items to make it easier to understand why blues at times are stronger than other level 60 legendaries.
    In Patch 1.1 legendaries will be getting a boost. However this will only affect new drops.
    Blacksmith will have its gold cost and page cost reduced.
    You will only need two gems in order to combine for the next gem, up to Flawless Squares

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Hahah yeah :) , been busy this weekend watching Barca in Madrid, and then enjoying any/all the sun we've had :P
    I'm off for a few days from Wednesday, so we can re-rollout !! Like autobots !
    I'll be scrounging off you for moneyz as I'm sure you're rich by now :D

WTF you mean....I gave you 10K the last time you were on, by rights it should be 1K a day interest so I will be rich when you pay me back!!!! :D

Then again you do give me a rake of Wiz gear so we quits. ;)

The incresed stats for legendaries is a welcome change. I'm glad they didn't change their rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

The auction house seems to be a bit dodgy at the moment. It's taking the cash but not giving the items.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I really hope the next patch addresses the Mac performance issues. Act 3 is pretty much unplayable for me. So I ended up rerolling and now I have a level 28 Monk and a 27 Wiz waiting on Act 3!

CombatCow wrote: »
    You will only need two gems in order to combine for the next gem, up to Flawless Squares

This won't help at all. The problem with Gems is that the cost of combining is more than what they sell for on the AH. Be it 2 gems to combine or 200, it doesn't change the flat fee that it takes to combine them. For example, the fee is 20k to combine squares into flawless squares. Flawless squares sell for 3-6k. So it is two to four times cheaper to just buy them instead of combining for every gem with the exception of radiant and stars.

So changing it from 3 gems to 2 gems won't have the desired effect. Are they simple? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

If gems on the AH are that cheap that must mean people are selling them below cost?

BKtje wrote: »
    If gems on the AH are that cheap that must mean people are selling them below cost?

Well yes and no. Below cost for crafting them.......but gems that drop off monsters cost nothing. So whatever you sell them for is profit.

The "2 gems instead of 3" buff is an attempt to combat the fact that gem crafting is pointless at anything lower than star gem level.....but it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

ah yeah get ya now.

on an unrelated note, just tried diablo on nightmare for first time. Had him to phase 3 without a prob and i lag out and die...sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kirby wrote: »
    Well yes and no. Below cost for crafting them.......but gems that drop off monsters cost nothing. So whatever you sell them for is profit.

The "2 gems instead of 3" buff is an attempt to combat the fact that gem crafting is pointless at anything lower than star gem level.....but it won't work.

Ah yes.

Are the top gems dropped in higher difficulties?

Making it impossible to get, say, the top 3 gems from drops would completely fix the problem (seeing as anything lower costs trivially little anyway) and encourage more crafting.

Either way, having read about the patch I've stopped upgrading all my gems and will stockpile them until the patch - netting me an extra 50% of gems.
    Hang on... it's wayyy more than that.

It's going to go from
    243 chipped -> 1 perfect

to
    32 chipped -> 1 perfect.

Advertisement