Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week's Storms - FORECAST, MODEL DISCUSSION ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

what about January 2010? there was 12 hours of snow in the west and north west around the 13th of January of that year. were you out of the country at the time?

I was here at that time and you exaggerated ! , we had like 5cm cover and way less than 12 hours of snow :( ,

Anyone knows if monday or tuesday could bring some blizzard like conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Oh, thought you had run away from the country by now. I won't be in Maynooth until Christmas.

I'm moving to Poland on the morning of the 22nd, when are you around?
    (There's a chance I might head towards Galway on Monday afternoon if my farewell gift pans out as per the current charts... Ian, watch this space!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

There sure was a prolonged snow fall in the Mid-west.

I was sitting watching it :D

Happy memories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its 2355 so lets head over to Met Eireann on Radio 1 for the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I was here at that time and you exaggerated ! , we had like 5cm cover and way less than 12 hours of snow :( ,

Anyone knows if monday or tuesday could bring some blizzard like conditions?

Yes.

maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Yes.

Not for Galway though, cause its not Naas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We had a reasonably prolonged spell as well in March 2010 (or maybe Feb, can't remember off hand) last year as well before it turned to rain. Nice while it lasted.

It was all rain here. I remember a poster from Cavan posted pictures of that event. The depth of snow was very impressive for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

This has been great stuff lately - storms on Thurs (albeit it mainly hit Scotland), possibly stronger on Tues & possibly stronger again on Friday! Nearly forgot that I'm flying to Spain on Mon, back on Tues eek.gifeek.gif Does anyone know the Dub Airport wind speed limits or does it depend on whether their cross winds or not

Main runway in dublin is 10/280 and modern airliners dont mind strong winds, cross winds are the biggest problems and obviously if tuesdays storm really packed a punch it might affect/delay operations but it would want to be like scotland got thursday to be disruptive, that or a few inches of snow like last christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well it was snowing here from 1pm till 12am. Although it was fairly light for the last two hours. Unfortunately it only started to accumulate after dark, though. It was a real pity because the snow was quite heavy for several hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A bit off topic but March 30th that snow storm was, the only time I've ever seen anything resembling a proper blizzard getting stuck in the Barnesmore Gap!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbWvXRBbM7o

And the pic from Cavan

110225.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

t|nt|n wrote: »

I agree most strongly :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

t|nt|n wrote: »

I had that coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

pad199207 wrote: »
    I agree most strongly :P:pac:

I appreciate your continued support :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

do we have a worse blast of a storm coming on thursday, looking in on magicseaweed, i would say thursdays is worse than monday/tuesdays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

if monday/tuesday pans out as planned, would we be looking at destructive force winds. i don't want it to be that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Harps wrote: »
    A bit off topic but March 30th that snow storm was, the only time I've ever seen anything resembling a proper blizzard getting stuck in the Barnesmore Gap!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbWvXRBbM7o

And the pic from Cavan

the night of this same storm i was on the Coleraine mountain and the snow drifts where taller than my car! Never seen anything as impressive looking in all my life, what got me interested in the weather as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Okay, who's been fooling around in the weather control room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

Man that Gerry Murphy is such a drip when it comes to forecasting, the guy just cannot for the life of him try to make weather forecasting exciting. Ok I know he has to be accurate/cautious but come on there is a growing chance of a major windstorm event hitting Ireland on Tuesday and he hardly mentions it. If it was Evelyn it would be drama and warnings all over the shop.... Gerry thrives in a boring mild drizzly dank weather...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

184569.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Man that Gerry Murphy is such a drip when it comes to forecasting, the guy just cannot for the life of him try to make weather forecasting exciting. Ok I know he has to be accurate/cautious but come on there is a growing chance of a major windstorm event hitting Ireland on Tuesday and he hardly mentions it. If it was Evelyn it would be drama and warnings all over the shop.... Gerry thrives in a boring mild drizzly dank weather...

I was just about to say before seeing ur post that I was a bit excited from his forecast earlier (which is saying a lot for Gerry Murphy forecast!), he put a good emphasis on the storm on Monday and Tuesday and thought he made a good job of the forecast and put the word EXTREMELY WINDY around a few times :)
    I was here at that time and you exaggerated !

Wow straight for the Jugular! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Who pressed it? Own up...

8786207-3d-small-people-pressing-the-red-button-3d-image-isolated-white-background.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

On the 5 day forecast on met eireann its updated and it shows no strong winds for tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

only one wrote: »
    On the 5 day forecast on met eireann its updated and it shows no strong winds for tuesday.

'Generally cold weather will continue through much of next week with predominately westerly winds which will be very strong or potentially stormy at times. SUNDAY NIGHT: Cold on Sunday night with showers mostly in the west and north. Frost also with lowest temperatures of 1 to 4 degrees. MONDAY: After a cold, frosty, bright start on Monday morning, it will become windy with strengthening southerly winds bringing rain eastwards later in the day. Temperatures rising with the rain and it will be mild for a time through the evening and early night but potentially very windy. MONDAY NIGHT & TUESDAY: Rain clearing overnight with much colder, extremely windy and showery weather expected later Monday night and through Tuesday with the risk of some severe winds in parts of the north and northwest for a time. Cold and some of the showers may well turn wintry later on Tuesday and Tuesday night through parts of the west and north, much drier in the east and south. Frosty overnight also as winds moderate somewhat with some icy stretches possible. WEDNESDAY: Cold and blustery in places on Wednesday also with sunny spells and occasional showers, mostly through the west and north where some will be wintry.'

No strong winds? What forecast are you reading? :rolleyes: :D

Dan :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still awake so thought I'd check out the 0Z..

This thing is getting beyond ridiculous, didn't think it was even possible but its been upgraded yet again.

gfs-0-150_eqe8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The 00z GFS shows the Monday-Tuesday storm about the same strength as before although somewhat further north at peak intensity around 03z Tuesday ... would still be a powerful windstorm for many parts of Ireland and quickly followed by very cold westerly gales (Monday looks very mild, 12 C or thereabouts).

As Harps says, the next storm due Thursday night is going off the scale but also shifting north on this run. Would not be inclined to see that as a done deal by any means, but the intensity is very worrying (935 mbs give or take).

People in exposed locations (exposed to westerly winds) should take the opportunity of any quiet weather this weekend to secure trees and loose objects and check parking locations for vehicles assuming possible tree and structural damage from one or both of these powerful storms. By Monday it may be too windy and wet to be doing that at the last minute.

Going back into the weather control room now to see who is pressing all the buttons marked "do not press."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

As Harps and MT mentioned this storm for Friday has been upgraded again. it will be very interesting to see how this one plays out.

184571.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

0Z ECM still seems at odds to me with the GFS over Tuesdays low. GFS itself has shifted tracks of both storms from the 18Z, nothing nailed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lads from reading the last few posts it seems that both storms are shifting further north - are the winds likely to not be as severe in the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ok mother nature must be on one very long bad period. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Nxa8F.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement