Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week's Storms - FORECAST, MODEL DISCUSSION ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    If this system was to shift further south it would raise the prospect of snowfall for many.

Just wondering why this may be? Living in Newry and was expecting to get some with tha last system but just got mountain snow. Can anyone tell me why we may get some snow with this next system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Winger_PL wrote: »
    I still have it in Maynooth, wondering what's the best way to pass it on to you?

Oh, thought you had run away from the country by now. I won't be in Maynooth until Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

justy182 wrote: »
    Just wondering why this may be? Living in Newry and was expecting to get some with tha last system but just got mountain snow. Can anyone tell me why we may get some snow with this next system?

If the system he's talking about moved further south, it would pull in much colder air from the north atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WHO CHANGED THIS THREAD NAME!?!....

I'd be happy if i didnt hav to suffer Myocardial infarction thank you very much!!....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:pac:

EDIT :WOOPS... i ... eh.... THINK my eyes are playing GAMES!!!

FOr a min there i thought the title was changed to.. " SNOW Storm Possible" ................! ... Must be the Pepsi Max.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

If the system he's talking about moved further south, it would pull in much colder air from the north atlantic.

Gotcha. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Iancar29 wrote: »
    WHO CHANGED THIS THREAD NAME!?!....

I'd be happy if i didnt hav to suffer Myocardial infarction thank you very much!!....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:pac:

Whah?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Iancar29 wrote: »

... Must be the Pepsi Max.. :pac:

and Morgan's Spiced Rum?

and Morgan's Spiced Rum?

Nope.... I DONT Drink .. :rolleyes:

MAkes the thought even worse as i SERIOUSLY thought i seen it as SNOW! hahaa

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

P9 on the 12z GFS ensembles has the storm down between 930 and 935hPa.
    Looks like most of Ireland should be taking a battering from this one.

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    P9 on the 12z GFS ensembles has the storm down between 930 and 935hPa.
    Looks like most of Ireland should be taking a battering from this one.

383165_10150519717161718_631736717_11277935_1687055974_n.jpg
    Me >>>>....

bart%20scared.gif

• Advertisement

^ I've posted that already in the Fantasy charts threads. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Ok despite the fact I've had a few "tipples" I really think this one could pull it off for us. Although the fact that I've warned everyone in me local that we're going to get blown out of it on Tuesdy could be a contibuting factor in my presumption! Guinness and Tia Maria is a wonderful combination but has the tendency to induce delusions of meteorological genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Considering it's at t96, and many ensembles are going >940hPa, I wouldn't place it in the realms of fantasy any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys Met Eireann still not predicting anything severe for Monday/Tuesday! Isn't that a bit strange?!

leahyl wrote: »
    Guys Met Eireann still not predicting anything severe for Monday/Tuesday! Isn't that a bit strange?!

Gerry Murphy on the forecast after the six news talked about extremely strong winds and stormy conditions on Tuesday. Check it out on RTE Player. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

they did say a storm for monday -tue after the 6 one news this eve,we will c what they say after 9 news this eve

Gerry Murphy on the forecast after the six news talked about extremely strong winds and stormy conditions on Tuesday. Check it out on RTE Player. :)

Cool - I was just goin by their website, will look at forecast after 9 news; should be an interesting one!

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Considering it's at t96, and many ensembles are going >940hPa, I wouldn't place it in the realms of fantasy any more!

The 12Z ECM disagrees with the GFS though, so I'm not too sure about any of the models at the moment let alone individual ensembles.

18Z GFS out soon, should be interesting.

Just watched Gerry murphys forecast and he mentioned this and said they'd be keeping a very close eye on it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gerry Murphy "not sure what the system is going to do".

The graphic at the end of the bulletin gave an ok forecast for Mon/Tue while he said there was potential for very strong winds and rain????

• Advertisement

I'd say if Evelyn had been on it would be the Apocalypse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

18z has seriously ramped up this storm for Tuesday.
    In fact if 18z came off it would be the biggest storm to hit our shores since the infamous Christmas one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

184552.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The 1998 storm?

I'd have more confident of this storm being a biggie, if their was cross model agreement. The gfs are notorious for ramping in advance only to downgrade closer to time. It would be great if they are right, but i'm not getting my hopes that they will be.

The 1998 storm?

I'd have more confident of this storm being a biggie, if their was cross model agreement. The gfs are notorious for ramping in advance only to downgrade closer to time. It would be great if they are right, but i'm not getting my hopes that they will be.

Ah nacho, as sensible as ever :-P!

18Z GFS makes it a storm for the south of the country rather than the north.

Clearly this thing is far from nailed with track changes like this happening now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The further south the centre of this storm goes the better is for snow potential in its aftermath. The 18hz GFS has indeed brought the system further south leaving the northwest of the country in the path of potentially very wintry weather.

I wouldn't pay too much attention at this stage as to where might see wintry weather as the path of this storm is likely to change further again considering this dramatic change in the latest GEFS run. It is worth noting, however, that the further south it tracks the more likely the country will see wintry weather which will be dragged down in its aftermath

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    The further south the centre of this storm goes the better is for snow potential in its aftermath. The 18hz GFS has indeed brought the system further south.
    Oooo snow For the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

And another direct hit on Thurs night
    If it played out like the 18z we would have 2 dangerous storms before Christmas probably causing chaos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

GFS sticking to its guns for both potential storms anyway, ECMWF seems to be alone in not having Tuesday as a powerful storm

Edit: The second storm even more powerful this time :eek:

gfs-0-153-3h_fkc0.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement