Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week's Storms - FORECAST, MODEL DISCUSSION ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

18z has seriously ramped up this storm for Tuesday.
    In fact if 18z came off it would be the biggest storm to hit our shores since the infamous Christmas one!

Do you think they could hold it back until about 4 p.m.? I'm playing golf on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Harps wrote: »
    GFS sticking to its guns for both potential storms anyway, ECMWF seems to be alone in not having Tuesday as a powerful storm

Edit: The second storm even more powerful this time :eek:

Thats some storm ! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

First chart shows an even more dangerous system slamming into us.

The second chart shows snowcover from wintry weather that follows the first storm on Tuesday. I said earlier today that such a situation would arise in the NW should the storm centre drift further south in subsequent runs. The dramatic change between the this run and the last suggests that other dramatic changes are likely between now and then so I wouldn't take this latest setup as a given.

A truly incredible setup.

184555.png
    184556.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This is seriously exciting stuff guys! I have been keeping track of this thread since it started - checking for updates! It's addictive!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 blackberry jam

leahyl wrote: »
    This is seriously exciting stuff guys! I have been keeping track of this thread since it started - checking for updates! It's addictive!

What does this mean?? snow? wind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Cat.2 grade winds for IOM?!! hahahahaha!

WINDY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z GFS.....just wow...

84-88 mph sustained winds in the Irish Sea at 156 hours?

*shakes head*

I guess the downgrades start from here eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

The bigger the rollercoaster the bigger the drop down to earth. Much as I would to see charts come to fruition I can see it flopping.*

Reverse psychology there*

irish1967 wrote: »
    The bigger the rollercoaster the bigger the drop down to earth. Much as I would to see charts come to fruition I can see it flopping.*

NOOOO don't say it *covers ears

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Given the law of averages, surely at some stage in time one of these storms has got to play out better than the charts suggest! No?

• Advertisement

H2U I was thinking exactly the same thing ! :)

I also wonder how bad a storm would have to be before the majority on here would say 'god I hope it weakens' or I hope it's course changes away from us ! Lol

I also wonder how bad a storm would have to be before the majority on here would say 'god I hope it weakens' or I hope it's course changes away from us ! Lol

I don't think I actually realise how bad this could be!! :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Cat.2 grade winds for IOM?!! hahahahaha!
    might blow it out of the way for when we get our east/north east cold & snow :D

*sorry IOM*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

As long as there is no loss of life, the bigger it is the more exciting it is and the more we can learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Given the law of averages, surely at some stage in time one of these storms has got to play out better than the charts suggest! No?

I know exactly what ya mean!...

Ill just get out the proof ther now dear... one sec...

* Picks up chawk*

7c358869ace623528f0d1d409d525365.png

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

I wish it would bring continues wintry showers because here in Ireland I've never witness snow falling for more than 2 hours without stop :(:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I think that we have all become immune at this stage to near constant disappointments that come with model watching. Expect the worst and hope for the best seems to be the general consensus I think.

It is funny, while this month would be considered a stormy one so far, here in Galway, at least east of the Corrib, we really seem to have missed on all of the big weather that most other parts of the country experienced over the last few weeks. Though it has been gusty at times, I'd not consider anything we got so far anything out of the ordinary for the time of year. Even the showers that occasionally pass just seem to lack a certain vigor. I dunno, payback is due. Something big has to happen soon! (I hope anyway!! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

This has been great stuff lately - storms on Thurs (albeit it mainly hit Scotland), possibly stronger on Tues & possibly stronger again on Friday! Nearly forgot that I'm flying to Spain on Mon, back on Tues :eek::eek: Does anyone know the Dub Airport wind speed limits or does it depend on whether their cross winds or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Amazing the contrasts between forecasters.....

So next week, around about Thursday, will be extremely mild and calm with above average temperatures. (Gerry Murphy)

So next week, around about Thursday, will be apocolyptic, with monsoon rains, hurricane strength winds, hail, snow with Siberian temperatures and a plaque of locusts. (Evelyn Cusack)

I can't remember what she said because i was just gazing into her eyes. (Jean Byrne)

Don't you just love the Met Eireann forecasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

When it hits

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

When it hits
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

leahyl wrote: »

Its as good as the annual SNOW WATCH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

These storms will be perfect timing for me. College ended for xmas today, so I'll have the week relatively free.
    If anyone spots some eejit standing out on a hill around Cork, holding an anemometer out to the wind on Tuesday or Thursday, you'll know who it is:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I wish it would bring continues wintry showers because here in Ireland I've never witness snow falling for more than 2 hours without stop :(:mad::mad:

:eek: Where were you during SNOW WATCH last year ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

what about January 2010? there was 12 hours of snow in the west and north west around the 13th of January of that year. were you out of the country at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

what about January 2010? there was 12 hours of snow in the west and north west around the 13th of January of that year. were you out of the country at the time?

Was probably in Dublin and didn't care

/me runs like hell

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

Tactical wrote: »
    :eek: Where were you during SNOW WATCH last year ? :eek:

the cold was there but not enough long lasting snow showers .

• Advertisement

We had a reasonably prolonged spell as well in March 2010 (or maybe Feb, can't remember off hand) last year as well before it turned to rain. Nice while it lasted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement