Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week's Storms - FORECAST, MODEL DISCUSSION ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

No go there, the GEM 12z has the same evolution as the GFS. Would say that the global 48h is somewhat less focused than the regional 48h was, so there might be a faint hope of something much different to come in later runs (a more powerful storm taking longer to eject).

Here's what is currently happening in the storm's formation zone south of Nova Scotia and just to the northeast of Bermuda. The system was an inverted trough at 06z and is slowly developing a 1010 mb centre which you can see in this animation:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/satellite/animateweb_e.html?imagetype=satellite&imagename=goes_ecan_1070_m_..................jpg&nbimages=1&clf=1

(the 48h GEM shows this plodding northeast and deepening to 984 mbs).

So far all of the models want to take the leading edge of this system and shear it off, producing a fast-moving wave into northern France Friday, then bring along the bulk of the system around Saturday or Sunday into France.

The only scenario that would now work to create a stronger storm affecting Ireland would be in two parts, first the short wave tomorrow needs to track a bit further north and get pulled northeast towards the remnants of today's deep centre, then the jet needs to start rebounding and give the western Atlantic low somewhere to go instead of limiting its eastward progress and shearing it in half. It would not be totally unprecedented for that sort of model miscalculation to verify, but chances are probably about 10-20 %.

Have had a look at the GFS EPS and a few play with deepening the storm more in our southwest approaches. A few very severe for central and southern England.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Business end of the Jetstream forecast south of Ireland Thursday

hgt300.png
    hgt300.png

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭corkman123

wow! so how strong would the winds be in cork ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

No sign of the UKMO 12z run yet? (on my usual sources anyways..)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

GME and UKMO both show same evolution of Channel low (00z Friday) to Holland (12z Friday). That track almost invariably brings about over-predictions of wind speeds in southeast England as the meso-scale factors work against the gradient and everyone says "where's our windstorm" the following morning.

Now that's not to say this track will verify, but that's what seems to happen when the track is operational.

I would like to wait for the 00z runs when the various players are better described by initial data. This could still turn out quite a bit different from how the models are saying at 12z today. If this short wave out to the west of Ireland misbehaves then there could be a last minute scramble towards explosive cyclogenesis as the final outcome. Today's storm also underwent last-minute (by model standards) changes to a more intense outcome than was perhaps expected on Saturday or 72h ago.

Not expecting anything different on 12z ECM but we'll see if there's any new trends there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

No sign of the UKMO 12z run yet? (on my usual sources anyways..)

Its out on Meteociel.

Yep, track almost inevitable now:

185102.GIF

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yep, track almost inevitable now:

185102.GIF

:o

it could have a late unexpected twist even if unlikely!

what does this mean for cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

corkman123 wrote: »
    what does this mean for cork?

it means for once we are not south enough!

• Advertisement

typical!

12Z ECM and 12Z GFS are slightly different at 72 hours... :pac:

ECM1-72.GIF?13-0

gfs-0-72.png?12

ECM got the tipex out for that low.

ECM doesnt even have the storm for the channel!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Come on storm move northwards!! :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

leahyl wrote: »
    Come on storm move northwards!! :-D

Ye're some craic in Cork. When its snowing your too far south. And when there's potential for the mother and father of a wind storm you's are too far north. How'd ye manage that:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

But look at all that cold air being dragged down over us;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

trans.png

LOW WRAPPING UP NICELY!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Is Thursday's storm ment to hit us? I've been asleep all day and only woke up. I'm hoping for snow in south and south east tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

Hail and wind started again this eve in South Wales and now a couple cm's of the snow stuck on the ground. Surprisingly considering everything is so wet and its been warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

What are the chances of a significant if short snow event from thursday onwards.

With the jet stream further south then normal could colder artic air sweep in behind thursdays storm and plaster ireland with snow?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You point the moisture out to me on some model so. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

skelliser wrote: »
    What are the chances of a significant if short snow event from thursday onwards.

With the jet stream further south then normal could colder artic air sweep in behind thursdays storm and plaster ireland with snow?
    At best,though it's uncertain still,all this will pull in is polar maratime air.
    Very cold yes but with too much atlantic mix in it,put simply.
    Meaning,1000ft asl and higher for your snow chances.

fergieweather Ian Fergusson
    Worry re Thurs-Fri development is models may not resolve rapid deepening/perturbations adequately; UKMO not convinced by benign solutions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

fergieweather Ian Fergusson
    Worry re Thurs-Fri development is models may not resolve rapid deepening/perturbations adequately; UKMO not convinced by benign solutions
    Interesting.
    Human Forecaster brains in play tweaking the faxes over the coming days will be fascinating to watch.

My small chance forecast for the Low :D:eek::o

my30pchance.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

blackius wrote: »
    At best,though it's uncertain still,all this will pull in is polar maratime air.
    Very cold yes but with too much atlantic mix in it,put simply.
    Meaning,1000ft asl and higher for your snow chances.

1000ft, hoping you mean 100 ft, do you? :)

Latest thinking from Exeter: (2 frames: 48hr & 60hr)

ani.gif

To the south as per model consensus with southern England & Wales still in with a chance.

This is absolutely uncanny...
    Four or five days before the storm struck, forecasters had predicted bad weather on the following Thursday or Friday. By midweek, however, guidance from weather prediction models was somewhat equivocal. Instead of stormy weather over a considerable part of the UK, the models suggested that severe weather would reach no farther north than the English Channel and coastal parts of southern England.

Except it's from....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987#Development

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Very interesting Maq. Just goes to show you how dramatic a change can occur within a short time frame.

It obviously shifted 300 kms or so north which is incredible.

Temp%C3%AAte_Europe_1987.jpg

You can see storm here
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=16&month=10&year=1987&hour=12&map=1&mode=0

You can backtrack in the archive to see how quickly it developed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    You are deluding yourself...the 'hills of donegal' rather than mountains. Ring MET Eireann and they will put you straight. I was in Letterkenny last week and there was not a patch of snow in the 'hills' when I was there. The east is generally a colder region away from the milder Atlantic with more extremes when easterly or north-easterly winds arrive. Donegal or other ranges of elevation just do not get the same savage snowfall as the Wicklow uplands...youtube it and you will see for yourself. Th coldest temperatures are also in Wicklow, midlands and occasionally Cavan/Monaghan.

Youtube it,how scientific.Granted there was no snow in the hills at letterkenny but there are two mountain ranges in donegal and letterkenny isn't one of them.try and google mountains of ireland.also in response to you saying the coldest temperatures are in wicklow have u ever watched the weather,usually the further north u go in ireland is colder and anyway who disagrees with that is looped,malin head is on the coast so therefore its mild.I will agree with you on one point you made regarding eastern donegal being colder,castlederg which is a few miles from recorded exceptional low temperatures last december almost beating the all ireland record which was set in sligo-another place u failed to mention in irelands coldest locations-what a surprise.I shall link u castlederg which had similar readings to my weather station.if u can show me proof of wicklow being as cold i would appreciate it.a youtube clip of it snowing in wicklow is hardly mind boggling in fairness.have a nice day..as u can see castlederg had it worst than anywhere in ireland last december http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/dec2010/ enjoy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement