Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week's Storms - FORECAST, MODEL DISCUSSION ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I must say i'm surprised at how dry today was at times.
    Just goes to show how very cold air tends to evaporate ppn.

Still plenty chances of the white stuff over next 5 days or so
    Amazing the lack of interest on here.
    The last 2 years has truly spoilt all of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Let's not start up that argument again, whatabout now!

Here's the storm windfield measured by satellite just before midday, showing 50 knot + winds west of Donegal, near where buoy M4 was measuring those moster waves. These sensors under-report at high windspeeds, and the wave height of 20 m is way over the >14 m threshold for hurricane force winds as per the Beaufort Scale.

185111.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

To complement your wind chart, Su, here is a satellite image by MODIS from 12pm. Love the quiff on that storm :)

185119.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

Hi all, back after my one day ban. For what?? For being abusive...no, for being nasty to another member...no.... for daring to suggest that the Friday storm wouldnt materialise!! Apparently I was trolling after saying that the model was completely over estimating the scale of the storm. You know there seems to be bit of a clique in this place...you either agree with all they say or your'e out. Well anyway I was right... surely "experienced" meteorologists on here realised that the sheer scale of the forecasted storm was way unrealistic. Well no storm on Friday and any snow confined to highest hills and mountains... I hope those who hyped everyone up feel a little silly now. I probably going to get another ban after posting this but so what... mild and dank Xmas weather wise... its not as if there is any exciting weather to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Hi all, back after my one day ban. For what?? For being abusive...no, for being nasty to another member...no.... for daring to suggest that the Friday storm wouldnt materialise!! Apparently I was trolling after saying that the model was completely over estimating the scale of the storm. You know there seems to be bit of a clique in this place...you either agree with all they say or your'e out. Well anyway I was right... surely "experienced" meteorologists on here realised that the sheer scale of the forecasted storm was way unrealistic. Well no storm on Friday and any snow confined to highest hills and mountains... I hope those who hyped everyone up feel a little silly now. I probably going to get another ban after posting this but so what... mild and dank Xmas weather wise... its not as if there is any exciting weather to look forward to.

Have you considered writing a strongly worded letter to Amnesty International?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

0027_ilg7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

How sad :) copy and pasted "i told you so posts" in 2 threads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

That small feature tomorrow could bring some moderately strong winds for a time to the south coast, Particularly south kerry and cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Never mind friday, what is that off the coast at Midnight in the 18z :eek:

Rtavn061.png

The 18z has shifted tomorrow's depression further North and also slightly deeper.
    There's a risk of some very severe weather across the South coast, severe as in wind

• Advertisement

Inis Oir?

Take a loot at the latest sat24 animation. A lot of beefy showers making their way toward us

http://sat24.com/en/eu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Thursday's thing looks a game over thing at this point!

Yes tomorrow gusts to 50 knots along south coast.

The 18z has shifted tomorrow's depression further North and also slightly deeper.
    There's a risk of some very severe weather across the South coast, severe as in wind

Doesn't look very severe to me. 50-60mph guts max on the exposed SW coast on this run. Would need to be a bit further north and a bit more intense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I don't recall ANYONE saying this potential storm would materialize? Nobody was wrong,except Seanknowall of course! :D

Back on topic. HIRLAM still giving gale potential tomorrow for the extreme southwest:

185134.png

Tightish gradient squeeze south of the low, slacker further north with some wintry type showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Snow for high ground tomorrow in the south is my prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

I don't wish to get dragged into any disagreements but I wanted to point out your ignorance. Don't take offence and I hopw no one sees this as abuse but I'm sorry; claiming you are right before the day has come is as rediculous as your claims of people over hyping a unrealistic event. As others have mentioned previously (if you bothered reading back through the comments) that people have wondered why are the UKMO sticking to their guns, and that maybe it is because they have information that we do not. Then there is the fact models are not always right and at the moment there doesn't seem to be a unanimous decision or universal agreement on the outcome so there is still plenty of time for the storm to come. Even if it misses us and hits France, then we could not have known that was going to happen but it doesn't change the fact a bad storm did in fact exist and could have or nearly hit Ireland. I'm going to hold my tongue and wait and see what happens because many different forecasters and models have different ideas and no one seems to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Don't feed the trolls..

Ian Fergusson, BBC weather bloke, posted this on nw a few mins ago
    Additional important thoughts from learned Exeter colleagues: "There has been a general run-by-run trend for models to follow this less developmental more zonal track…and yet, there must remain a significant possibility that dynamic instabilities in the cross-Atlantic flow and/or more engagement of upper troughing east of Newfoundland will induce much more development." In other words: a LOW probability, BUT a high impact event if it occured.... and one hopefully that won't happen. Fingers-crossed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The chances of getting a storm of that severity are pretty low, yes, but everyone here will tell you that. The exact formula for putting one of these mosters together is a tighly kept secret known only by Mother Nature, and the models, much as they'd like to have a quick peek through her recipe book, have to instead resort to guessing what's in there.

Most of the time they come pretty close, but they needed everything to come out just right or the balance would not be struck. The barotropic area near the Bahamas was ill-defined and highly open to minor changes that would prove crucial when coupled with the uncertainty in the upper cutoff low in the western US. The jet and surface feature needed to merge perfectly, like a trapeese man catching the woman, otherwise things were likely to fall out of sync. As it happens that surface feature has missed the jet (plane) and is now hitching a ride across the Atlantic on another carrier, but will be flying via Paris now, not direct as we had thought.

My point is, it's not what you were saying, it was HOW you were saying it that was the problem....

Mr. Vogan's views on the potential storm. I canny believe it.

• Advertisement

It looks like any changes will result in a shift further south rather than further north. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) actually becomes of it after seeing so many variations on the models.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Mr. Vogan's views on the potential storm. I canny believe it.

how accurate does this guy tend to be ?

A zoomed in shot of the yr.no HIRLAM model forecast for 1700hrs tomorrow (windspeed)

185141.PNG

Looks like it going to be a close call. Valentia & Sherkin Island the stations to keep an eye on later tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Jeez, this is worse than wondering if Santa will come or not.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Storm coming in the range of meso NAE runs (UKM meso)

And shows the potential for this storm to be more intense as it approaches us.

Although not a danger to Ireland on these charts, alot further north and intense than any other model i have seen tonight.

11121518_1318.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

maw368 wrote: »
    I'm going to hold my tongue and wait and see what happens because ...

There was a storm forecast of very severe weather, maybe two months ago. Many of the senior meteorologists on this forum were warning of dire events.

I made one comment, "it won't happen" ~ and it didn't.

Why was I so confident whilst lacking in the technical understanding and experience in this field ~ it was another type of experience, storms of this magnitude don't tend to get forecasted.

We tend to get hit by bombs. What made the last two days interesting? most of the elements for bombs were in play, And we do have a few records which suggests those bombs tried to go off ~ the single high wind gusts, single high wind gusts in otherwise calm weather and the met buoy with the record wave height.

Now, someone reading all these might see that a single element was missing that would prevent the bomb from exploding ~ they don't tend to anyway, and when they do they are sudden and extremely violent.

Varies a little from the actual UKMO global model projection for the same time:

185143.gif

Very slightly further north with a nice pressure gradient on its northern flank. Encouraging, though sprinkled with salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone watch the met error and UK Met Office forecasts on RTE and BBC? I just did back to back, on RTE Friday wasn't even mentioned, the Beeb were paying notable attention to the potential for a damaging storm track.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

gbee wrote: »
    they don't tend to anyway, and when they do they are sudden and extremely violent.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. You point out that these storms don't always happen but some times they do, exactly my point; no one seems to know for sure. Everyone here is debating the possibilities. If you are referring to the Seanknowsall issue which I hope not as I did state I didn't want to get dragged into it; I would point out that even though he maybe coorect and his comments were made with good reason, he failed to explain why. After all that is why we are al here right, trying to discuss why we think the weather will be a certain way in a certain amount of time. So as far as I can tell it still is a chance ofr this to happen and again I'm going to refrain from any comments of certainty on the outcome.

• Advertisement

Interesting chart there Matty, much further North.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement