Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week's Storms - FORECAST, MODEL DISCUSSION ONLY

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ah cool , thanks for that Jet Stream forecast loop Nacho

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream;sess=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

GME is nice.

e8o9ro.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

ECM has a very scattered storm track,take your pick.
    185031.JPG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

GFS 0Z continues their non event theme.

185032.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Very Similar 0Z from UKMO so its looking like game over now.

185033.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yep UKM cancels the low even though it develops reasonably at T36. Would appear game up for that

Much better agreement from the gas eps of no storm

Updated Weather Warning from Met Eireann

Issued at 13 December 2011 - 04:18
    Severe Weather Alert
    Very windy or stormy today with winds gusting 100 to 140 km/h, strongest along the North coast. Squally showers or thunderstorms will give some wintry falls of sleet and snow especially on hills bu at some low levels also. The showers will be most frequent in the North and West with blizzard like conditions on some of the hills.

Gale Warning

West to Southwest gale to storm force winds will affect all coasts of Ireland and the Irish Sea today with winds reaching violent storm force at times on the North and Northwest coast.
    Issued at 05:00 on 13-Dec-2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Deirdre Lowe on the radio there said that on Thursday there is the risk of stormy weather, but there is a chance that this storm may miss us. So even the pros are having problems with this thing.

Met Éireann have forecast 50 gust 67 knot winds for Donegal Airport.

Consistently highest for gusts so far has been Mace on the hourlys. That since about 11am yesterday hour by hour by hour.

Still highest in 8am report at 65KT > http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp . Malin should take over soon.

edit> still Mace Head with a 66KT at 9am beating all the rest by a scutch of Knots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Has been snowing on an off for the past hour in North Dublin - Portmarnock - bit too wet to stick

Met Éireann's aviation chart for 1200 shows two areas over Ireland:

A: All of Ireland, except the northern half of Ulster:

Generally rain, sleet, graupel, thundery hail showers. Localised moderate snow showers on hills.

B: Northern half of Ulster:

Generally rain, sleet, graupel, thundery hail showers. Localised moderate snow showers on mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Looks like the storm on Thurs may swing to the south... phew.

EDIT : I finally figured out how to embed pictures in a post... feeling very proud! ;)

185046.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Tazio wrote: »
    Looks like the storm on Thurs may swing to the south... phew.

Good news for those who like snow as this scenario (low tracking further south) would bring widespread wintry showers on Thursday night into Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭corkman123

wheres the windy weather in cork for today? not a breeze and clear skies lol..

Su Campu wrote: »
    Met Éireann's aviation chart for 1200 shows two areas over Ireland:

A: All of Ireland, except the northern half of Ulster:

Generally rain, sleet, graupel, thundery hail showers. Localised moderate snow showers on hills.

B: Northern half of Ulster:

Generally rain, sleet, graupel, thundery hail showers. Localised moderate snow showers on mountains.

That is the exact same forecast except that the snow line is seemingly forecast higher in the very north....and there is only one Mountain, Errigal, in the entire target area. :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That is the exact same forecast except that the snow line is seemingly forecast higher in the very north....and there is only one Mountain, Errigal, in the entire target area. :D

What about the Sperrins and Mournes? It also applies to Scotland too. Anyway, it's an aviation forecast, so not just for people on the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

One mountain?
    Donegal has loads of mountains, the hills here have snow on them now.

What about the Sperrins and Mournes?
    UKMO territory :D

10am , Mace still easily top gust @ 66KT ...about 24 hours continously tops now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Interesting to see this trough out to our west swinging round and heading our way about the low, any chance of a more organised snow event?....I know it's an awful long sea track6504390625_24d675f967_z.jpg

UKMO territory :D
    I might be mistaken but I understood that UKMO and Met Eireann share their aviation forecasts (and TAF's)? i.e. jointly do forecasts for NI

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    I might be mistaken but I understood that UKMO and Met Eireann share their aviation forecasts (and TAF's)? i.e. jointly do forecasts for NI

Thought a TAF was 'per airport' or is that a NOTAM??

I might be mistaken but I understood that UKMO and Met Eireann share their aviation forecasts (TAF's)?

Met Éireann's chart shows Ireland, UK and northern France. There are no international boundaries. It's the same with the UKMO's Aviation charts too.

Here's the Icelandic Met's one, which is not copyrighted.

sigwx_iceland_12.png

The TAFs are done by the respective countries however, so the airports in the North are done by the UK.

Yep, you're right Bob.What I mean is they share the information provided in the TAF's and they jointly provide the aviation forecasts (METARS?) for Northern Ireland airports like Aldergrove and City of Derry.

Thought a TAF was 'per airport' or is that a NOTAM??

Both are per airport, but a NOTAM can also be issued for a certain FIR ("airspace"). These are done by the respective countries, although a NOTAM may not be weather-related at all so it's the aviation authority that issues them. SIGMETS are done per country too.

What about the Sperrins and Mournes? It also applies to Scotland too. Anyway, it's an aviation forecast, so not just for people on the ground!

Wicklow gets by far the highest snowfall in Ireland..apart from Kerry the mountains are the highest in Ireland.However it is a much colder region than the south-west for obvious reasons. It is common to have metres of the stuff higher up in a cold winter like the last three.:D:D

Yep, you're right Bob.What I mean is they share the information provided in the TAF's and they jointly provide the aviation forecasts (METARS?) for Northern Ireland airports like Aldergrove and City of Derry.

No, the UKMO do the TAFs for those. The METARs are just the weather reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭whataboutnow

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Wicklow gets by far the highest snowfall in Ireland..apart from Kerry the mountains are the highest in Ireland.However it is a much colder region than the south-west for obvious reasons. It is common to have metres of the stuff higher up in a cold winter like the last three.:D:D

I think you'll find you are wrong.The sperrings or the donegal mountains get more snow than the wicklow mountains,certain mountains in donegal have been white for weeks.also the wicklow mountains gets a lot less precipitation than here and we are in a colder region.glad i could help

• Advertisement

You are deluding yourself...the 'hills of donegal' rather than mountains. Ring MET Eireann and they will put you straight. I was in Letterkenny last week and there was not a patch of snow in the 'hills' when I was there. The east is generally a colder region away from the milder Atlantic with more extremes when easterly or north-easterly winds arrive. Donegal or other ranges of elevation just do not get the same savage snowfall as the Wicklow uplands...youtube it and you will see for yourself. Th coldest temperatures are also in Wicklow, midlands and occasionally Cavan/Monaghan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement