Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know people who have never worked a day in their lives?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Heard from Gerty down at the post office this morning.

Gerty is shome man for the shtories.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Or have you a story about their unbelievable carry on?

I know plenty of people in my town who has never done a days work in their lives.

Left school at the age of 16/17 and the moment they reached 18 were on the dole and have been on it ever since.

The males live at home and drink their dole at the weekends and the females are like a baby factory living in paid for houses.

What can be done with these people, some are in their 30's?

Will they remain to be a constant drain on society or is it our job to pay for their drifting through life without ever contributing anything.

I heard a guy in the pub recently boasting that he is on the dole for over 30 years. I guessed he is in his 50's , not a grey hair in sight and was well able to down the pints!!!

I would imagine that this lifestyle is more a male thing? Maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Were you never told, 'Never let the facts get in the way of a good story'. :rolleyes:
    I was just saying the same thing to a single mother I know who has twenty children who all have different fathers and who gets a free house made out of gold every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Dn't know any personally. Everytime I take a day off work though to run a few errands, I'm blown away by the amount of people hanging around doing very little. They can't all have night jobs.

TBH (I hope this doesn't seem snobby or inverted snobby) I don't see how people who never work could be friends with those who work their asses off. They are living in different worlds, whatever could they have in common? Surey they would drive each other mad?

Oh believe me, it drives me mental. I am one of a small handful of people in my group of friends that has a job and has worked all their life (short enough life so far, only 24). The majority of my friends are on the dole (2 of them on single parents) and their lack of drive and ambition annoys me greatly. I just don't understand why people would not want to do anything with their life. I have been friends with them for 10 years though so not exactly like I could "divorce them" :) i'd have no friends left :(

Really annoys me when I come home from work to log onto facebook and see a few status updates of "Da state of de people on Jeremy Kyle" and the like :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gerty is shome man for the shtories.

Gerty's a man?! :eek:

Wait 'til the village hears about this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX6BKEo_SQM#t=7m37s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭royalcarlowgc

There is a well known family where i live. i think there is 9-10 brothers between the ages of 50-60 and ALL of them never worked a day of their lives!
    No joke..
    id love to know how this can happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

gurramok wrote: »
    Sounds familiar. I know someone on Rent allowance who is on her 5th pregnancy by the same partner who 'officially' does not live with her. He never worked too but is a bit dodgy, they both get a free gaff courtesy of the taxpayer, all legal.

That's a fault of the system. After child #2 it is clearly a (genuine) 'lifestyle choice' and needs to be treated as such. It seems to me that there are a lot of women who choose to have no father around for the kids but still want the sympathy / cash that goes with "the bastard left me"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Bertie ahern, Brian Cowen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Abi wrote: »
    It's paid out too easily perhaps, and not enough investigating is being done for recipients claiming to be living alone. Often in these cases there is a working cohabiter not accounted for.

The applicant may have been genuinely single at the time, but as time does, it passes. They may have met someone in between, but are now living comfortably with dole, a wage packet, rent allowance, probably other allowances such as fuel or back to school etc, and of course the medical card.

With the country in such dire straits, I don't know how the country can afford to be so lax. Frequent checks would pay off in the end, imo.

This is what I completely disagree with. Why would my Girlfriend (Not wife) have to pay for my living expenses? Our expenses are seperate, as are our incomes. I shouldn't have to pay for my girlfriends expenses because we live together. My money is my own, as is hers. At no point should we be obliged to pay for one another. The better option would be for her to move out, or I, and claim even more money from the social welfare office for rent allowance etc etc. It's fcuking retarded.
    I understand none of what you just said. Are you saying if she is in receipt of rent allowance, and although you live with her you don't see why you should contribute to the rent, because it's under her name?

Lost here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I understand none of what you just said. Are you saying if she is in receipt of rent allowance, and although you live with her you don't see why you should contribute to the rent, because it's under her name?

Lost here.

I mean, we are not married. I don't have access to her account and she has no access to mine. I spend my own money on things I want as does she. Our finances are seperate. We share a room, we pay evenly for this. Go pay 50/50 for bills and food. Our finances are completely seperate.

She loses her job, after paying years of taxes and all of a sudden I have to provide for her as per the order of the state? Oh I think not. We do not depend on each other and should not be forced to either.

If one of us were to become unemployed the best thing for us to do is move out, live in seperate houses, the unemployed party would then get full social welfare AND rent allowance. The system makes no sense at all.

We do not benefit now from a tax perspective, we would need to get married for that, so why should we be punished if one of us loses our job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I know people who have been on benefit all their lives, but they have worked, or nixering as they call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

My mates brother has been on the dole for 2 straight years and has never worked. He had to drop out of college because he couldn't afford it due to not getting a part time job. And I personally know he tried. I even gave him a lift around places with cv's. He still sends them to places every day online. I've helped with his cv and tried to make it have strong points. But he's unskilled with a poor leaving cert. He's done fas courses and still no luck. Only 2 interviews in 2 years from possibly hundreds of applications. Most places don't even acknowledge his application. He'd be labelled a dole merchant but he's far from it. This chap is trying hard to work but has feck all luck. And I'm sure he's not the only one in that situation.

There is a huge huge difference in this chap and someone in their 30's who has never worked a day in their lives.

I know of lads who have never done a days work but never want for anything and have been on the dole since 18

I know. My point was to highlight that it's near impossible to tell the difference between the spongers with no intentions of working and the legitimately unemployed that are actively seeking work. Take the person 3 doors down from him for example. She sees him knocking about coming in and out during the day and has never seen him work. She forms the opinion that he's a lazy lay about. Then she's talking to other neighbors and brings it up. None of them would know the truth or how hard he's trying to find work. But yet they could very easily form opinions. He's never even heard back from those charity collectors and I thought they took on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My younger brother(older than me, younger than the rest of the family) is 24, 6 years on me. I got a job when I was 15 first, been working ever since. He's never had a job in his life, been to 2 private schools, taken exams, lives off allowance off our mum(still) just lies in bed all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

My OLD neighbours never worked a day in their lives. Got everything for free and compensation for a few events thrown in. They moved away a few years ago after buying a straight out house with cash.

A lot of people I met in college have yet to do a hard days work. They never worked during the weekends or summers of college yet managed to have the best of clothes and spend the summers travelling and even though we left college 2 years ago they just signed straight on the dole and are still on it or else are sponging off their parents. I don't know how they're getting away?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A 3rd generation of the one family who have never worked,any of them,ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Half the people living in my estate are on the dole and have never, ever payed tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

one of those 'drains on society' reporting in here.
    not everyone who is of adult age and hasnt worked are layabouts/ spongers,some may just not be thinking to include those of us from other groups but am not arsed about the views of those who are not open to reason as they are saying more about themselves.
    there are also those bigoted jobless layabouts who like to pretend they work so they can act like they are superior,and have yet another group to aim their jealousy and rage onto.

am twenty seven and have never worked due to barriers from being severely disabled since birth and its related high support/complex needs & severe challenging behavior.
    some voluntary work with mucking out horses and grooming horses is a future wish,as as well as a goal on a PCP [person centred plan],but in the forseable time it is not ready for nor are places ready to accept,having only been offered far future voluntary mucking out work by a disabled riding school recently.

Lost here.

I mean, we are not married. I don't have access to her account and she has no access to mine. I spend my own money on things I want as does she. Our finances are seperate. We share a room, we pay evenly for this. Go pay 50/50 for bills and food. Our finances are completely seperate.

She loses her job, after paying years of taxes and all of a sudden I have to provide for her as per the order of the state? Oh I think not. We do not depend on each other and should not be forced to either.

If one of us were to become unemployed the best thing for us to do is move out, live in seperate houses, the unemployed party would then get full social welfare AND rent allowance. The system makes no sense at all.

We do not benefit now from a tax perspective, we would need to get married for that, so why should we be punished if one of us loses our job?
    So the part of my post you disagree with is means testing cohabiting couples?

Well I don't agree with you there. Cohabiting is living just the same a married couple would. Both chip into the bills, and the remainder is their own. Why you feel you should be treated differently, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

im one of those people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't know anybody who has never worked. I know an increasing number of people who always worked, but now find themselves on the dole for the first time in their lives. If there was ever an appropriate (or at least less obnoxious) time for moaning about the unemployed, it was a few years ago, when we had near-full employment. Right now, I think it's probably more important that jobs are created for those who want them. And maybe then, the tedious dole-bashing cranks can start getting oh-so-outraged about people who are probably unemployable.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    I don't know anybody who has never worked. I know an increasing number of people who always worked, but now find themselves on the dole for the first time in their lives. If there was ever an appropriate (or at least less obnoxious) time for moaning about the unemployed, it was a few years ago, when we had near-full employment. Right now, I think it's probably more important that jobs are created for those who want them. And maybe then, the tedious dole-bashing cranks can start getting oh-so-outraged about people who are probably unemployable.

But that's exactly who the OP is talking about, those that never worked a day in their lives :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Do I know people??? I've had the sorry msifortune of living with one!:mad:

If I had the chance I'd have drove him out to the woods and tied him to a tree...

I moved into a flat over a year ago with a brother of a friend of mine, and his best friend. I hadnt an idea of what this guy was like, but I was told he was 'dead on', and when I first met him, he didnt seem too bad! Looked a bit of a freek (emo) and when I say a bit, I mean like alot!

Needless to say within the space of 4 months I completely lost it! He was constantly paying the rent to me late (free money into his hand) and always leaving a mess and being loud enough to disrupt me! I've worked nights for 2 years straight and he would continuously wake me up after me warning him. I completely lost the rag with him and it was the closest I came to hitting him. He woke me up after coming in to fit a door lock, and had the nerve to tell me to **** off after me ripping shreds into him!

I also found out he was getting back to school allowance for 'college' in Dublin, when he didnt even go to it!

At first the other lad was in the same boat as me, until I kept giving out about mr. freeloader. At the end of the lease he tried to con me out of my deposit, and left an unpaid ESB bill of over a grand!

So whenever anybody trys to defend the people on the dole, I can tell them exactly where to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

YeP, my cousin who's 34. Had her first child at 18. Now has two more from a different guy. They both live in a fully furnished council house (they used to have an apartment). He was in the building trade and was making a fortune during the boom, while she was (and still is) claiming to be a single mother.

The poor wee boyf had to move to Sweden or somewhere, can't remember where, when things went bad. He missed them too much so had to move back. So she obviously has no problem supporting them both.

They drive a lexus (their last two cars were a BMW and an Audi).

My dad works in a hospital and she had the cheek to ask him to get her bandages for the baby as they arnt covered on medical card and are too expensive. He was raging! :mad:

You couldnt make the stuff up, she's a complete scrounger even thinking about her makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

it is a family tradition for some,

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

YeP, my cousin who's 34. Had her first child at 18. Now has two more from a different guy. They both live in a fully furnished council house (they used to have an apartment). He was in the building trade and was making a fortune during the boom, while she was (and still is) claiming to be a single mother.

The poor wee boyf had to move to Sweden or somewhere, can't remember where, when things went bad. He missed them too much so had to move back. So she obviously has no problem supporting them both.

They drive a lexus (their last two cars were a BMW and an Audi).

My dad works in a hospital and she had the cheek to ask him to get her bandages for the baby as they arnt covered on medical card and are too expensive. He was raging! :mad:

You couldnt make the stuff up, she's a complete scrounger even thinking about her makes my blood boil.

Report the bitch then.

Make an example of the waste of oxygen that she is.

Less whinging and more action is needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

No, I personally don't know any.

I do have a certain admiration for them, though. It's fairly natural not to want to work if you can get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nope. And I bet such people are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Loads of people. Have quite a few cousins who seem to think having babies in your late teens and raising them is a career which makes them deserving of a nice house, a car and generous benefits.

I also know meet a lot of spoiled brats at work (I'm an English teacher for foreign students). I have quite a few students who are my age and even older and are full-time students and have never had a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you know people who have never worked a day in their lives?

My brother's young fella, but in fairness, he's just turned 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We're overrun with these Bastards, just another reason why this bloody country is banjaxed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement