Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know people who have never worked a day in their lives?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I know more women than I do men who've never worked a day in their lives, instead they make a career out of staying on the dole and pop more babies out than they would shìtes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

rambutman wrote: »
    A guy I know hasn't done a days work in his life - he's basically unfit for work. He sells bud - and has for 20 years - and has more expendable cash than me and a hell of a lot better day to day life. He doesn't sign on either - to keep himself off-the-radar.

Sounds like he has made a decent career for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Oh look another anti poor people thread on boards.

Are you trying to suggest that poor people are lazy? Seriously?

That's the sort of rotten generalisation that i'd expect from the daily fail. People can be poor for all sorts of reasons but for some reason you think thay are all lazy.

Why do you hold such right-wing views? What's your problem with poor people?

Your post disgusts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 el sorcerino

Couple living beside my dad for the past 5 years are living the high life thanks to welfare. It goes like this... my dad works non stop his whole life to pay his mortgage. This couple move in beside him 5 years ago, unemployed etc. The human assembly line jumps into life. 4 kids later neither parent has had a days work. The recession bites and both my father and I sell our cars to downgrade to more affordable models whilst his neighbour Upgrades to a newer, more luxurious car.
    They are actually nice people apart from the screaming and cursing at the kids etc but as I said why would a lazy slob like the neighbour want to get off his fat hole and work when his nice house is paid for, his childrens allowance is paid, his dole money comes in weekly and he's able to upgrade his car when all his neighbours cant afford theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

I personally think that you should have made some sort of contribution to society before you can sign onto the dole. I've have a few friends in and around 20 who were unemployed but in all fairness to them they have found some sort of employment because they genuinely got sick of doing nothing and claiming the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

A guy in my home town, has been on the dole since he left school.. One day ha had a meeting with the welfare officer, and the officer said ' you've been on the dole since you left school' to which the reply was " I'm only 32!!!!'

There are families out ther who just know how to work the system and exactly what there are entitled to, in our eyes they are sponges on the system, but in honesty they are just getting their 'entitlements'... The system should has a massive clamp down and follow the American ideal and reduce the allowances over time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I know an entire family back home in Monaghan that have never worked. The 2 sons 38 & 40 both since they left school at 16 have never worked a single day. Both parents neither. They all live in a free council house. Both sons have refused work with the excuse they have no means of travelling to the jobs provided even though the eldest has a car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

rambutman wrote: »
    A guy I know hasn't done a days work in his life - he's basically unfit for work. He sells bud - and has for 20 years - and has more expendable cash than me and a hell of a lot better day to day life. He doesn't sign on either - to keep himself off-the-radar.

Personally i reckon they should set up a dog-the-bounty-hunter style fraud unit to investigate welfare fraud. Pay them comission for finding fraudsters.

My brother is a tradesman and frequently has guys working on sites - it's not uncommon to have to give them an hour off to go and sign on.

As in the beer? Has he a pub or is out of his garden shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Timistry

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    Yeah I know someone like that, my brother, lazy scrounger, just sits around all day watching telly and surfing the web and playing video games while my mother waits on him hand and foot. lazy git should get up off of his arse and find a job, he's nine already ffs!

To the gallows with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I don't personally know anyone that has never worked.. but then again they're unlikely to broadcast the fact.

Going by how much time the subject of dole scrounging gets on AH you'd think that half the country were guilty of it.. and living in mansions payed for by the state, with two cars outside.. and a helipad.

Honestly do you see nothing wrong with someone in their 30's who may have never worked a day in their lives? Its not dole scrounging, they know no different at this stage.

They are getting what they are entitled to and living quite comfortably. Why the fúck would they bother getting a job. They are living the dream at our expense and never ever contribute anything to the economy only all they take from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Yes I have...... I know a couple, they are now retired, claiming a state pension, and they spent ALL their adult life on welfare, NEVER did a days work, and out of it all, they had enough savings to buy a house for €250,000 cash.. doesn't that make you angry?

Honestly do you see nothing wrong with someone in their 30's who may have never worked a day in their lives?

Where did I say that I don't see anything wrong with it? Of course I do! I just think the problem is overstated, especially on this forum.
    They are getting what they are entitled to and living quite comfortably. Why the fúck would they bother getting a job. They are living the dream at our expense and never ever contribute anything to the economy only all they take from it.

So is your issue with the people or the system that enables them? It's important to know where to direct your ire if you want to bring about any meaningful change.

fwiw, I think the welfare system in this country is a complete farce.. not just the dole, but the entire system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

90% of Travelers/ Knackers have never worked.

Fact!

I don't see anything wrong with getting the dole for a long period of time. I'm in college at the moment and living at home (I'm 21), so there's no huge pressure to get a job, but I've been looking for part-time work for a few years now (not constantly), and the most I ever got was one Summer's worth of 2 days a week. It can be extremely difficult to find work, and I don't think a person should be left in a position whereby they can't afford food or shelter, so I don't think there's a point where the dole should be cut off.

What I do have a problem with is the poor investigation and means testing of how social welfare is given out, and as a result the amount that is given to people who don't need it. In my opinion, if you're on the dole you should not be able to afford to smoke, to get drunk, to buy iPhones, Xboxes, and if you're living anywhere near public transport you shouldn't be able to afford to run a car. Modern conveniences like having the heating on all day, running dishwashers and tumble dryers shouldn't be possible either. Living on the dole should be allowed, but it should in NO way be comfortable. A strong sense of frugality should be required. The fact that so many people on the dole clearly have no sense of frugality only leads to the conclusion that money is not an issue for them.

Squall19 wrote: »
    90% of Travelers/ Knackers have never worked.

Fact!

stealing is a kind of job to the knackers!

CamperMan wrote: »
    Yes I have...... I know a couple, they are now retired, claiming a state pension, and they spent ALL their adult life on welfare, NEVER did a days work, and out of it all, they had enough savings to buy a house for €250,000 cash.. doesn't that make you angry?

Incredibly.. you should contact the Daily Mail at once!

Can I ask, how do you know that they paid for the house in cash? That sounds mighty far-fetched to me.

Oh, and people can report fraudulent claimants here - https://www.welfare.ie/EN/Secure/Pages/ReportSuspectFraud.aspx

Although they may prefer to just moan about it instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

scholar007 wrote: »
    As in the beer? Has he a pub or is out of his garden shed?

No, Bud is another name for weed/skunk/cannabis. Americans term it that iirc from film etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I know of a few who have never had a "legally recognised" job in their lives....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

LoanShark wrote: »
    A guy in my home town, has been on the dole since he left school.. One day ha had a meeting with the welfare officer, and the officer said ' you've been on the dole since you left school' to which the reply was " I'm only 32!!!!'

How do you know he said that ???

krudler wrote: »
    anyone who cant find some kind of employment after 2-3 years is either incredibly stupid or incredibly lazy.

Hope you dont meet candy-gal1 she just might have to give you a good kick in the nut's

candy-gal1
    couldnt agree more there, im on the dole just over 2years and actively seeking work, i appreciate what i get each week, its not entitlement its being lucky to get it.

The way things are at the moment lots of people are unfortunatly going to find themselves out of work for a good few years through no fault of their own, and a few people on here better hope to hell that there is no such thing as karma.:mad:

• Advertisement

Incredibly.. you should contact the Daily Mail at once!

Can I ask, how do you know that they paid for the house in cash? That sounds mighty far-fetched to me.

Oh, and people can report fraudulent claimants here - https://www.welfare.ie/EN/Secure/Pages/ReportSuspectFraud.aspx

Although they may prefer to just moan about it instead.

because I know....

also, unlike most people on welfare, this couple NEVER even did cash in hand jobs, they just dossed about doing feck all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

My sister fell out with our mam 25years ago whilst 8 months pregnant,
    She moved down the road to a one room flat over a bookies and made do.

She brought up her daughter in a incredible way, Made the best of what she had and never complained. It amazes me how in the intervening period we now have one parent allowance, rent allowance and a raft of other allowances. I hope for the first time in years the government depts do to grips with this problem, as a poster above stated we cannot continue spending 21billion on welfare whilst taking 32billion in tax.

We are very close to the balance being tipped i.e not enough tax payers to support the welfare state. I am not for one second advocating not having welfare but we cannot continue to have the over generous payments we have.
    I like many other people have worked all my life (lucky i know) have paid tax's etc and have never received one cent from the state, I am seriously p1ssed at the moment with negative equity and all the sh1t that goes with being screwed by the state.

So in closing I think the welfare system needs to change.....

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

My aunt is the foster parent for 2 children. Their mother is a heroin and alcohol addict whos boyfriend is in portlaoise for assaulting a gard and has 30 previous convictions.
    They have a house paid for by the state. The children had their school books and uniforms paid for (even thought they never went to school) and basically got all their chirstmas presents off St. Vincent de Paul.

theres people who have worked their whole lives, paying taxes and have lost their job who can't recieve dole because their spouse/partner is working. They are in arrears on their morgage and can't afford Christmas dinner.

The system is seriously messed up when a low life scumbag can pass through on life having everything handed to him while the ordinary joe soap has to struggle every inch of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Abi wrote: »
    It's paid out too easily perhaps, and not enough investigating is being done for recipients claiming to be living alone. Often in these cases there is a working cohabiter not accounted for.

The applicant may have been genuinely single at the time, but as time does, it passes. They may have met someone in between, but are now living comfortably with dole, a wage packet, rent allowance, probably other allowances such as fuel or back to school etc, and of course the medical card.

With the country in such dire straits, I don't know how the country can afford to be so lax. Frequent checks would pay off in the end, imo.

This is what I completely disagree with. Why would my Girlfriend (Not wife) have to pay for my living expenses? Our expenses are seperate, as are our incomes. I shouldn't have to pay for my girlfriends expenses because we live together. My money is my own, as is hers. At no point should we be obliged to pay for one another. The better option would be for her to move out, or I, and claim even more money from the social welfare office for rent allowance etc etc. It's fcuking retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

We need people like this, to point the finger at and make sweeping comments,

sure its great to slag off people and put them down, it lets you forget your own insecurities (who can we bash today),

I am sure if there was something wrong with what they are doing the government would have put a stop to it by now.

Indeed, but without us members of the ‘sweeping statement brigade’ who belittle those that allow us to bury our own insecurities, how the hell would you ever manage to achieve your own daily quotient of smug self satisfaction and personal feeling of moral superiority to us? Have you thought about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

This reminds me a back in the years of the Celtic Tiger I needed to hire a truck driver so I put an add in the local paper. I got a call from the local FAS office asking would I consider a guy they had. Sure no problem, so I rang the guy. His story was that he was long term unemployed and FAS had helped him to retrain to get a truck drivers license and had completed some of the hazard chemical courses – appeared willing and competent. So I started to explain the job, work hours, pay etc. Then he pipes in that he would only be able to work every second week. Why I innocently enquired? Well as he had been unemployed so long he reckoned that he could not take the stress and the change in living circumstance of a full time job. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Is everyone on this thread a spy or a detective? How do you all know so much about people? You all seem to know exactly what was said when someone was called into the social welfare office. You even seem to know what happened when someone went to visit the doctor. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Is everyone on this thread a spy or a detective? How do you all know so much about people? You all seem to know exactly what was said when someone was called into the social welfare office. You even seem to know what happened when someone went to visit the doctor. :confused:

I would say most people go around with their eyes and ears open. These unemployed people have a lot of time on their hands, i'd imagine the visit to the dole office comes up a lot in conversation.

Heard from Gerty down at the post office this morning.

• Advertisement

Were you never told, 'Never let the facts get in the way of a good story'. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement