Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know people who have never worked a day in their lives?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Oh look another anti poor people thread on boards.

All the rich people post on boards cause they have nothing to do with their time after destroying the banks.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Two sisters live in my estate, one has four kids and the other has two, they both get rent allowance for their houses which cannot be cheap. The one with four kids lives with her Partner, neither of them has ever worked and all their kids are under six, the one with two lives doesn't live with her partner, ge lives in his own two bed council house. He works and she claims lone parent even though both of her children are with him and one of them was just recently born.

Now if that didnt annoy you enough now we get to the kicker, they don't actually life in the houses that the social welfare I'd paying for, they come on maybe once every two weeks pop into the houses and then leave again, very rarely do they stay the night. They are both living in their parents house, drives me dipping mad as I know people who are having it really tough and would give their right arm to have rent allowance never mind a 4 bed house in a lovely estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I think we need to pause for a second and remember that these people are victims of society and the middle/upper classes (the wealthy the hard left refer to) in the country are the real dark lords. :rolleyes:

I come from a council estate myself and know countless people around my age who have never worked a day in their life. Most have a leaving certificate of some description and could have a career if they pushed themselves but the dole is just too easy when you live at home. Being a single mother is the career of choice for many.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Abi wrote: »
    Frequent checks would pay off in the end, imo.
    Oh they would and no mistake. Problem is these checks are damn near impossible the way the various depts are set up. It goes beyond inefficiency and into utterly daft. Basically they're not linked in any useful way. So a person could be ripping off one section and other sections don't have a clue. Some of the stories I could tell you... Mad. Now apparently Mr Noonan has called for a study into this, but that will take until next April at least. Why? Why does this shíte need that long? Feather the nests of more so called consultants? Meh not too surprising, look how many millions it cost just to have a one ticket system for public transport in Dublin. 55 million. Yea that isn't a typo. http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1117/integratedticket.html Where the fcuk did all that money go and how does that even get within an asses roar of good value. Do not get me started on the utter farce that was/is the Irish postcode setup. Still not here yet and wouldn't be far off the cost of the above ticketing system. Now while I personally find Ryanair's Michael O'Leary a bit of a knob and cheapskate you can be damn sure their ticketing system with far higher stress on it did not cost anything like 55 million quid. I'm also quite sure he could have done the dublin bus one for a helluva lot less. And get the various government depts talking to cut down on fraud and just sheer bloodyminded waste.

If nothing else surely there exists a middle ground between O'Learism and these crosseyed gobshítes who quite literally couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery? Well they could but would spend a year debating the brewery to use, handwring about the possible liver damage and end up buying in beer from another brewery across the other side of the country.
    I am sure if there was something wrong with what they are doing the government would have put a stop to it by now.
    Are. You. Extracting. The. Urine?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

THE 99%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Can't say I do honestly :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It's paid out too easily perhaps, and not enough investigating is being done for recipients claiming to be living alone. Often in these cases there is a working cohabiter not accounted for.

The applicant may have been genuinely single at the time, but as time does, it passes. They may have met someone in between, but are now living comfortably with dole, a wage packet, rent allowance, probably other allowances such as fuel or back to school etc, and of course the medical card.

With the country in such dire straits, I don't know how the country can afford to be so lax. Frequent checks would pay off in the end, imo.
    I understand that the CWO in our area seems to be making more of an effort in checking up on lone parents lately.

I hear that there are certainly a few people avoiding answering the door during the day, anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Rabidlamb wrote:
    Simple solution like they use in the States.
    Your payment decays over time, if you get laid off tomorrow you get 75% of your finishing salary after tax.
    This reduces over a period of 104 weeks until your eventually cut off.
    Studies say it's amazing the amount of people who will take up the offer of "demeaning" work in week 98.
    Studies also say they have a huge amount of homeless people, with families with children living on the streets :(

And ????? . . . . you need to have some threat
    The shame of being cut off & turfed out would act as some encouragement.
    A soft system will always be abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

Dn't know any personally. Everytime I take a day off work though to run a few errands, I'm blown away by the amount of people hanging around doing very little. They can't all have night jobs.

TBH (I hope this doesn't seem snobby or inverted snobby) I don't see how people who never work could be friends with those who work their asses off. They are living in different worlds, whatever could they have in common? Surey they would drive each other mad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Well from my own locality, there are a few who I've never in my whole life seen working or with a job and these people aren't all that old. There are two brothers living together and they are about 60 years old. Theres another chap living on his own and he can't be more than 60. Two women, sisters living together, and they are in their 50s but behave older. All of them, I've never seen working. Having said this I don't know what their finiancial circumstances are. Whether they are living of SW or have other means. I know the single chap has cattle but not all that much. Really can't see him making a living from selling a cow or two. The two women used to own some land and sold some so perhaps they are living of savings and they live simply.

I can safely say that I do not know of this youngsters sponging situation that I read about on boards. Anyone I know unemployed are geniunely unemployed. There's two young single mothers alright but I really cannot see that they went that route for a living and a life of SW. Edit I know of another single mother in her 30s with 4 children from different fathers but that was just pure carelessness on her part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

My mates brother has been on the dole for 2 straight years and has never worked. He had to drop out of college because he couldn't afford it due to not getting a part time job. And I personally know he tried. I even gave him a lift around places with cv's. He still sends them to places every day online. I've helped with his cv and tried to make it have strong points. But he's unskilled with a poor leaving cert. He's done fas courses and still no luck. Only 2 interviews in 2 years from possibly hundreds of applications. Most places don't even acknowledge his application. He'd be labelled a dole merchant but he's far from it. This chap is trying hard to work but has feck all luck. And I'm sure he's not the only one in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh they would and no mistake. Problem is these checks are damn near impossible the way the various depts are set up. It goes beyond inefficiency and into utterly daft. Basically they're not linked in any useful way. So a person could be ripping off one section and other sections don't have a clue. Some of the stories I could tell you... Mad. Now apparently Mr Noonan has called for a study into this, but that will take until next April at least?

There is a solution to this if the state is really serious about adressing it. Tough Sentences. Certain jail for those caught. Investigate hard and jail those caught let the media report it widely. After a while the ordinary person will be terrified of getting caught and facing certain jail and will not risk it. As it is there is no real pinishment.

Our overall welfare bill is €21 billion per year and we are bringing in €36 billion in revenue. Is there another country in the western world with that sort of Welfare to Government Revenue ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Oh look another anti poor people thread on boards.

I've nothing against poor people. I've something against lazy spongers.

My mates brother has been on the dole for 2 straight years and has never worked. He had to drop out of college because he couldn't afford it due to not getting a part time job. And I personally know he tried. I even gave him a lift around places with cv's. He still sends them to places every day online. I've helped with his cv and tried to make it have strong points. But he's unskilled with a poor leaving cert. He's done fas courses and still no luck. Only 2 interviews in 2 years from possibly hundreds of applications. Most places don't even acknowledge his application. He'd be labelled a dole merchant but he's far from it. This chap is trying hard to work but has feck all luck. And I'm sure he's not the only one in that situation.

There is a huge huge difference in this chap and someone in their 30's who has never worked a day in their lives.

I know of lads who have never done a days work but never want for anything and have been on the dole since 18

I've nothing against poor people. I've something against lazy spongers.

Agreed.

I grew up proper poor, no heating, outside toilet with no light, no bath or shower, we used to have to go to my nanny's to have a bath - mam used to have to wait til Dad got home on a thursday with that week's wages so she could go to the shop to buy Thursday night's dinner. We had one holiday when I was young, it was to a mobile home in wexford, and it was paid for by SVP - I'm seriously not taking the piss by the way! and I'm not exactly old either, this is in relatively recent times, I did have shoes on my feet going to school though :p

Seriously, it's not easy being poor, but you gotta bloody well take some control of your life and help yourself. There's poor and there's lazy, the latter is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

COYW wrote: »
    IBeing a single mother is the career of choice for many.

So how does it work like? OK fair enough - 1 kid, sure it could happen to a Bishop....oh wait maybe not the best analagy but sure I'll continue on.

So do you get more money and benefits the more kids you have while being a single mother? If so how? Do they automatically kick in after you register the birth of Whitney who is the younger sister of Britney?

Like do ya go to the post office to collect yer money and they say, "congratulations on the birth of Whitney, give us back that book, here is another one with bigger payments" or does it arrive in the post?

Do you have to apply for increased benefits for additional children as a single mother? Is there a form you fill in? If so is there any section on it which says, how have you managed to produce another offspring while already claiming to be a single mother (immaculate conception is not an acceptable answer)?

Like do prolific single mothers have to explain to anyone in officialdom how they manage to keep producing or is it a case of the more they produce the more they get paid - no questions asked?

Sorry for going on....!!!

Agreed.

I grew up proper poor, no heating, outside toilet with no light, no bath or shower, we used to have to go to my nanny's to have a bath - mam used to have to wait til Dad got home on a thursday with that week's wages so she could go to the shop to buy Thursday night's dinner. We had one holiday when I was young, it was to a mobile home in wexford, and it was paid for by SVP - I'm seriously not taking the piss by the way! and I'm not exactly old either, this is in relatively recent times, I did have shoes on my feet going to school though :p

Seriously, it's not easy being poor, but you gotta bloody well take some control of your life and help yourself. There's poor and there's lazy, the latter is the problem.

Use to have a bath in the kitchen sink until i was 15/16. I think that is why i now have back problems.

scholar007 wrote: »
    So how does it work like? OK fair enough - 1 kid, sure it could happen to a Bishop....oh wait maybe not the best analagy but sure I'll continue on.

So do you get more money and benefits the more kids you have while being a single mother? If so how? Do they automatically kick in after you register the birth of Whitney who is the younger sister of Britney?

Like do ya go to the post office to collect yer money and they say, "congratulations on the birth of Whitney, give us back that book, here is another one with bigger payments" or does it arrive in the post?

Do you have to apply for increased benefits for additional children as a single mother? Is there a form you fill in? If so is there any section on it which says, how have you managed to produce another offspring while already claiming to be a single mother (immaculate conception is not an acceptable answer)?

Like do prolific single mothers have to explain to anyone in officialdom how they manage to keep producing or is it a case of the more they produce the more they get paid - no questions asked?

Sorry for going on....!!!

There are girls I know that seem to be so fertile that I'd be afraid to have a fap in my room down the road from them.

They are like baby machines and no one asks question or bats and eyelid. These same kids are destined to grow up like her with nothing to offer to society. You can see it from an early age, being out on the road playing when your 2 years of age usually is not a good sign.

Its a vicious circle really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

It's paid out too easily perhaps, and not enough investigating is being done for recipients claiming to be living alone. Often in these cases there is a working cohabiter not accounted for.

The applicant may have been genuinely single at the time, but as time does, it passes. They may have met someone in between, but are now living comfortably with dole, a wage packet, rent allowance, probably other allowances such as fuel or back to school etc, and of course the medical card.

With the country in such dire straits, I don't know how the country can afford to be so lax. Frequent checks would pay off in the end, imo.

I agree, the system seems to be very easily circumvented. More checks, less cheques!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Use to have a bath in the kitchen sink until i was 15/16. I think that is why i now have back problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sykk wrote: »
    Yes we all know them. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Rent allowance and dole pays out too much in this country.

yes and no, yes for scroungers who get housing and stuff for free who view the dole as an annoyance to be collected but it pays for cans and fags so tis graaaand, and then there's people who were in a working environment who have been made redundant and are actively seeking work, who can and do struggle on it. its the people who do work and dont screw the system are the ones who get screwed by the system when they need it.

the longer you're on it, the less it should be, anyone who cant find some kind of employment after 2-3 years is either incredibly stupid or incredibly lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I'm not sure I know anyone who has never worked but I know someone who left school after her junior cert and worked for about a year.

She became pregnant at 17 and gave up work, she has since had two more children (the second two are irish twins), she gets single parents allowance, rent allowance (she lives in a bloody nice house too), currently quite a few bob children's allowance and she has gotten things like buggies etc from the local welfare officer. She was brought up very well, her mother and father have always worked - up until very recently when her Dad lost his job and had to sign on for the first time in his life - six months later he is back working.

The worst part is, she's entitled to all of it :/

This is the bit that gets to me.... "entitled".... nobody should be entitled to anything. You should have to earn what you get in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Two sisters live in my estate, one has four kids and the other has two, they both get rent allowance for their houses which cannot be cheap. The one with four kids lives with her Partner, neither of them has ever worked and all their kids are under six, the one with two lives doesn't live with her partner, ge lives in his own two bed council house. He works and she claims lone parent even though both of her children are with him and one of them was just recently born.

Now if that didnt annoy you enough now we get to the kicker, they don't actually life in the houses that the social welfare I'd paying for, they come on maybe once every two weeks pop into the houses and then leave again, very rarely do they stay the night. They are both living in their parents house, drives me dipping mad as I know people who are having it really tough and would give their right arm to have rent allowance never mind a 4 bed house in a lovely estate.

Why dont you report them to the fraud unit in your local SW office

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

donalg1 wrote: »
    Why dont you report them to the fraud unit in your local SW office

Are they really doing anything fraudulent? My local social welfare office doesn't have a fraud unit as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

This is the bit that gets to me.... "entitled".... nobody should be entitled to anything. You should have to earn what you get in some way.

couldnt agree more there, im on the dole just over 2years and actively seeking work, i appreciate what i get each week, its not entitlement its being lucky to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't personally know anyone that has never worked.. but then again they're unlikely to broadcast the fact.

Going by how much time the subject of dole scrounging gets on AH you'd think that half the country were guilty of it.. and living in mansions payed for by the state, with two cars outside.. and a helipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I have a few friends who've left school 4-5 years ago, moved between dole and back to education allowance a few times, and not had employment at all. And for some reason, because they're on the dole longer, the recent age-related cuts don't affect them, so they get double (living at home) what I would get regardless of my circumstances, if I were to lose my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I know a couple of kids (early 20s) who live nearby who have never worked. Not that odd, but these never will work either. It's not in the family. A couple of them have minor criminal convictions and that. I feel sorry for them, but they don't know any better. At the same time, we'll be supporting them forever.

Bar that I don't know a single unemployed person. Not a friend, or relation, or the husband of a friend or whatever. Everyone I know is in some sort of a job, even if they hate it, or they're earning buttons. But no one properly unemployed. Mad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Know plenty who officially never worked a day in their lives. Still busier than most people that are in full time employment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

A guy I know hasn't done a days work in his life - he's basically unfit for work. He sells bud - and has for 20 years - and has more expendable cash than me and a hell of a lot better day to day life. He doesn't sign on either - to keep himself off-the-radar.

Personally i reckon they should set up a dog-the-bounty-hunter style fraud unit to investigate welfare fraud. Pay them comission for finding fraudsters.

My brother is a tradesman and frequently has guys working on sites - it's not uncommon to have to give them an hour off to go and sign on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement