Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know people who have never worked a day in their lives?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

Or have you a story about their unbelievable carry on?

I know plenty of people in my town who has never done a days work in their lives.

Left school at the age of 16/17 and the moment they reached 18 were on the dole and have been on it ever since.

The males live at home and drink their dole at the weekends and the females are like a baby factory living in paid for houses.

What can be done with these people, some are in their 30's?

Will they remain to be a constant drain on society or is it our job to pay for their drifting through life without ever contributing anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Yes we all know them. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Rent allowance and dole pays out too much in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't consort with riff-raff so no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Know them? I voted for them, more fool me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i dont actually

im sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life..

I have this vision in my head that sums up Hell. A typical day would involve rousing at 11am, watch a bit of telly (say loose women or jeremy kyle) with tea and toast, stroll down to the bookies for a couple of hours studying 'the form', place a few €5 bets, head to the pub and have a couple of pints of stout while perusing the Star and the Sun. Head home at 4pm and watch the telly again. Effin and blindin at the news complaining about 'bankers' and the gubberment. Throw me dinner into the microwave and watch the 'match' on me Sky. Snooze until 10 and repeat the following day.

:(

I was told a story during the boom years about some guy who was offered two weeks work holding a "Go/Stop" sign during roadworks. He would have been paid circa 500 to 600 a week for basically standing around all day. He turned down the job. Apparantly it was 'demeaning'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I could point out a few in my area who probably have never worked a day in their lives but they are unemployable. Meaning no employer in their right mind would employ them. Do I know any educated employable people who have never worked a day in their lives? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dey took ur jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bluewolf wrote: »
    i dont actually

im sorry :(

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I don't consort with riff-raff so no.

One of the many joys of being middle-class. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Yeah I know plenty
    Bookies . Pub . Solicitors office is there usual haunts .
    How people like this avoided work even juring to boom is amazing really .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,283 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I had a friend once who wanted to be 30 and still on the dole, made me sick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Yes, but further to that and more worrying is that i know people who lost their job and after a few months came to realise that its much better to be on the dole and therefore dont bother looking for jobs.

I'm not sure I know anyone who has never worked but I know someone who left school after her junior cert and worked for about a year.

She became pregnant at 17 and gave up work, she has since had two more children (the second two are irish twins), she gets single parents allowance, rent allowance (she lives in a bloody nice house too), currently quite a few bob children's allowance and she has gotten things like buggies etc from the local welfare officer. She was brought up very well, her mother and father have always worked - up until very recently when her Dad lost his job and had to sign on for the first time in his life - six months later he is back working.

The worst part is, she's entitled to all of it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭maryb26

A man in our town who never worked was admitted to hospital with chest pain. people had difficulty keeping a straight face when the wife told them that he had to take it easy and avoid stress!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Simple solution like they use in the States.
    Your payment decays over time, if you get laid off tomorrow you get 75% of your finishing salary after tax.
    This reduces over a period of 104 weeks until your eventually cut off.
    Studies say it's amazing the amount of people who will take up the offer of "demeaning" work in week 98.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Yep I know more than one of them sure doesnt everybody, but there isnt much anyone can do as they are enabled by the Social Welfare system to do this. That's why most people agree that after a certain period of being on Social Welfare you should have it reduced but that wont ever happen as can be seen by the recent budget and the 'cop out' by Government in relation to those Long-Term Social Welfares.

Anyway I wouldnt worry too much about them chances are if they were working they'd be useless at their job anyway so wouldnt last in it, and they are the ones wasting their own lives (not that they realise this mind), so just forget about them and make the most of your life imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

"Work" No, Honest days work what I like to refer to as something manual, Yeah loads of ye lazy bastards:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I currently work with a few lads who have never worked a day in their lives! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm from a council estate so yeah I'd know a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Sykk wrote: »
    Yes we all know them. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Rent allowance and dole pays out too much in this country.
    It's paid out too easily perhaps, and not enough investigating is being done for recipients claiming to be living alone. Often in these cases there is a working cohabiter not accounted for.

The applicant may have been genuinely single at the time, but as time does, it passes. They may have met someone in between, but are now living comfortably with dole, a wage packet, rent allowance, probably other allowances such as fuel or back to school etc, and of course the medical card.

With the country in such dire straits, I don't know how the country can afford to be so lax. Frequent checks would pay off in the end, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Yes lots of them, I come from a small rural town and go down maybe three times a year and all you have to do is pass Paddy Powers and the same wasters and standing in the same spot as you saw them three months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Simple solution like they use in the States.
    Your payment decays over time, if you get laid off tomorrow you get 75% of your finishing salary after tax.
    This reduces over a period of 104 weeks until your eventually cut off.
    Studies say it's amazing the amount of people who will take up the offer of "demeaning" work in week 98.

Studies also say they have a huge amount of homeless people, with families with children living on the streets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yes, a family member, turning 40 this year, never worked a real day in their life.
    Always studying, or doing 'self improvment' course.

TBH this person is tearing the family apart.

Sickens me as I have works (along with the rest of the family) all my life, going through though times etc, and this person seems to swany through life!

BUT, is not on the dole, lives off money they get from another family member who has no balls. Kills us all a little inside each time they get money from this other family memeber, seems there is nothing we can do, as, believe me, we have tried!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm not sure I know anyone who has never worked but I know someone who left school after her junior cert and worked for about a year.

She became pregnant at 17 and gave up work, she has since had two more children (the second two are irish twins), she gets single parents allowance, rent allowance (she lives in a bloody nice house too), currently quite a few bob children's allowance and she has gotten things like buggies etc from the local welfare officer. She was brought up very well, her mother and father have always worked - up until very recently when her Dad lost his job and had to sign on for the first time in his life - six months later he is back working.

The worst part is, she's entitled to all of it :/

Sounds familiar. I know someone on Rent allowance who is on her 5th pregnancy by the same partner who 'officially' does not live with her. He never worked too but is a bit dodgy, they both get a free gaff courtesy of the taxpayer, all legal.

Thanks to the welfare system, she can keep popping out babies as a 'single' mother for many years to come hence avoiding work, she's about 35 now. Last year in another thread on boards, I was labelled a right wing bigot by a looney leftie when I objected to her subsidised lifestyle choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

Yeah I know someone like that, my brother, lazy scrounger, just sits around all day watching telly and surfing the web and playing video games while my mother waits on him hand and foot. lazy git should get up off of his arse and find a job, he's nine already ffs!

gurramok wrote: »
    I was labelled a right wing bigot by a looney leftie when I objected to her subsidised lifestyle choice.

And the people who labelled you that probably expect youto have to pay higher taxes to foot the bill for this kind of thing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

God-damn hippies giving us left wingers a bad name. unity through work not unity through tie-dye asshole!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

We need people like this, to point the finger at and make sweeping comments,

sure its great to slag off people and put them down, it lets you forget your own insecurities (who can we bash today),

I am sure if there was something wrong with what they are doing the government would have put a stop to it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I know of one guy who has lived in Australia for the last 19 years and has NEVER worked a day in his Aussie life and has bled the Australian tax payers of millions of dollars.

I don't want to get banned so I will refrain from posting a link to youtube about this piece of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    Yeah I know someone like that, my brother, lazy scrounger, just sits around all day watching telly and surfing the web and playing video games while my mother waits on him hand and foot. lazy git should get up off of his arse and find a job, he's nine already ffs!

:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Oh look another anti poor people thread on boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement