Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know people who have never worked a day in their lives?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

If there was work to be had in bed, some people would sleep on the floor:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I know someone who is in his mid thirty's who has never worked a day in his life. All he does is drink cans during the week and spends the week in the local library or at least that's what his week consisted of when i last spoke to him. He had no interest in working. He is actually a very interlligent person. I think the death of his mother when he was younger had a real effect on his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

Got chatting a man in his fifties in a pub one night,turned out he knew my uncle.He asked how he was etc,I told him he's still working in London.(left for work in 80's recession). Yer man burst his hole laughing,saying "he was always an eejit! Should have done like me....I never had a job,have a council house and smoke 30 a day.Go out few nights a wk and go fishing and hunting whenever I want.I have 3 lads and they wont work a day either!" Proud as punch he was.....Still to this day my blood boils.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Icklstar2912

I understand that it is difficult times for people but it is only difficult for those who are trying their hardest. There are indeed people who choose to stay on the dole just because they want the easy life. And there are others who are determined and it could take any amount of time until they get anything but they will get something. When its a case of people being on the dole since a young age, in some cases I feel its the parents fault for letting it happen. I have seen many a guy, and Im sure there are girls out there too who are mollicoddled and not given any encouragement or reason to go out there and make something of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Report report report
    There is no point moaning online about her
    YeP, my cousin who's 34. Had her first child at 18. Now has two more from a different guy. They both live in a fully furnished council house (they used to have an apartment). He was in the building trade and was making a fortune during the boom, while she was (and still is) claiming to be a single mother.

The poor wee boyf had to move to Sweden or somewhere, can't remember where, when things went bad. He missed them too much so had to move back. So she obviously has no problem supporting them both.

They drive a lexus (their last two cars were a BMW and an Audi).

My dad works in a hospital and she had the cheek to ask him to get her bandages for the baby as they arnt covered on medical card and are too expensive. He was raging! :mad:

You couldnt make the stuff up, she's a complete scrounger even thinking about her makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement

Possible has something to do with it alright, I know of a guy early 20's every Wednesday you'd see him a couple of others with their cans of Dutch gold but thing with him he has CF, to be honest in the past I have said he deffo has everything coming wasting his life and seeing some other people try and over come CF and get in with positive living but his basically living on a countdown, the average age that a CF patient is bout 27 when they die I not quite sure but I know the uk is 2 yrs higher, but I hate seeing people layabout suppose with my current status as a genuine single mum(my 3 kids come from the same wonderful man last bit was sarcasm )but personally I hate being at home I hate doing all the mum ****e I would prefer to be able to get a job which i had prior to 3rd one and have some kind of decent life where I'm not robbing Peter to pay Paul, and I hate people who are basic layabouts, but I have seen what losing a job can do to someone who has worked his ass off all his life and how depression can take over its not all roses its quite different, things Ireland does not have 1: jobs 2: affordable childcare 3: empathy
    Vanbis wrote: »
    I know someone who is in his mid thirty's who has never worked a day in his life. All he does is drink cans during the week and spends the week in the local library or at least that's what his week consisted of when i last spoke to him. He had no interest in working. He is actually a very interlligent person. I think the death of his mother when he was younger had a real effect on his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If there was work to be had in bed, some people would sleep on the floor:D.
    Says he on the dole. Do you have any self awareness? At all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

caitmb wrote: »
    Got chatting a man in his fifties in a pub one night,turned out he knew my uncle.He asked how he was etc,I told him he's still working in London.(left for work in 80's recession). Yer man burst his hole laughing,saying "he was always an eejit! Should have done like me....I never had a job,have a council house and smoke 30 a day.Go out few nights a wk and go fishing and hunting whenever I want.I have 3 lads and they wont work a day either!" Proud as punch he was.....Still to this day my blood boils.....

The people who have it handiest on the dole are people like him. They have built their life around it. Council house, medical needs covered, no loans/mortgages as they just let the state provide them with everything. If they drive its an old car bought with cash.

Its these ones that i'd love to see the rug pulled from under. Get him out working from 7am digging the roads in the pissing rain. They make me angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Does anyone here watch Hardy Bucks?

Thats what modern day Ireland is actually like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Dudess wrote: »

Aww go brew us a cup of tea there love and change the broken record while your at it.

mod: poster banned.

• Advertisement

Yeh them and the rubberbandits come to think of it damo and Ivor as well
    But then again I have the intellect to distinguish fantasy from reality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

gcgirl wrote: »
    Yeh them and the rubberbandits come to think of it damo and Ivor as well
    But then again I have the intellect to distinguish fantasy from reality

Ah man what are you shmoking man.

Head on ya like a butter voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I know quite a good few people who have never worked a day in their lives and are way better off than I am (in a supposidly high [paid job) as they get every allowance going.....and be honest....ypu cant blame them, the government of this country actively supports them....and will never change that, its ok to take money away from the workers (bloody 100 household charge, as if my mortgage want enough)but not from the social welfare scroungers !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Short answer: no, I don't. I only know people who work. My closest friends are people who work too hard, actually. The closest I've come was a stepbrother with whom I lived in the UK, who sat on the Dole while I was out working. He was made to go on quite a few job-search courses, and after one of them he shacked up with the lecturer, so he was, shall we say, encouraged to find work.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Can't say it's familiar to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

How many travellers have ever worked a day in their lives? Yet here in Sligo they are driving 11 red BMW's to court and still get free legal aid. The ordinary working persons only purpose in life is the provide for those above and bellow us! How many self employed people who have lost their businesses in recent times are not entitled to a cent and yet here on this thread we have loads of examples of people who milk the system no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

A few people here claiming they are or know people aged in their late teens or twenties who find it impossible to get work despite putting in CVs everywhere. I know lots and lots of people just like that who leave school and decide to get work only to find that employers won't even look at their CV.

I got my first part-time job at 14 (I'm 24 now) by asking around in local shops, and have never been without work since. Every potential employer who's seen my CV has mentioned that I have an impressive amount of work experience.

To get a job, especially in this economic climate, you MUST have experience. The people who leave school with what is essentially a blank CV and expect a job baffle me.
    14, 15 or, at most, 16 is the age when you WILL get a job with no experience, those who wait until their late teens or early twenties to get their first ever job are, frankly, too late; they've missed the boat, and I don't know why they are surprised!

Parents who wrap their kids in cotton wool when they are young are a big part of the problem here. Your teenage years should be used to get a practical, working-world education, not just an academic one.

A lot of the "unemployables" in this thread probably started off on the dole because they reached 18 and realised they have absolutely nothing to offer employers. Catch 22 situation from then on really!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Simple Solution. Get all hiring employers to wait around the SW office on dole day. Or reduce the payment unless they have proof of trying to apply for a job at least once a week.

Simple Solution. Get all hiring employers to wait around the SW office on dole day. Or reduce the payment unless they have proof of trying to apply for a job at least once a week.
    Jobs what jobs ? Unless that excuse job bridge ?

Dudess wrote: »

Aww go brew us a cup of tea there love and change the broken record while your at it.
    Stop being such a hypocrite, and it's a deal! Milk and sugar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Sexist and stupid dickhead. Bet you are a big ugly fúck to boot who can't get it up.

Plus you are a fúcking idiot with zero awareness of society.
    Yes this will be a ban.

Couldn't give a rat's ass. Dunno how Dudess and some others have the patience to try to reason with the likes of you. No wonder so many posters are closing their accounts on boards.

mod: poster banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Darlughda wrote: »
    Sexist and stupid dickhead. Bet you are a big ugly fúck to boot who can't get it up.

Plus you are a fúcking idiot with zero awareness of society.
    Yes this will be a ban.

Couldn't give a rat's ass. Dunno how Dudess and some others have the patience to try to reason with the likes of you. No wonder so many posters are closing their accounts on boards.

Or more like, "Yes, there will be blood!"
    :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

We're going to leave it at that on this one....
    Review pending.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement