Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Extreme Wind Storm - Thursday 8th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WOWZA!! :eek:

388622_189778961113711_176235642468043_394563_541270525_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Iancar29 wrote: »
    [COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]WOWZA!! :eek: [/SIZE][/COLOR]

388622_189778961113711_176235642468043_394563_541270525_n.jpg
    Can you explain thia chart abit please ian. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

kwik wrote: »

Its showing violent storm force winds on the northern coast and for Scotland with hurricane force winds at sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

:eek: All over Scotland Scots are frantically attaching guy ropes to their kilts and pegging themselves down...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Not wrote: »

:eek: All over Scotland Scots are frantically attaching guy ropes to their kilts and pegging themselves down...
    Cant say i blame them with winds like that.

Watch the video of the forecast which has been added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/16068618

Watch the video of the forecast which has been added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/16068618

NOt loading for me ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Iancar29 wrote: »
    NOt loading for me ... :(

The weather forecaster was really stressing how serious the winds would be:eek:! I can't believe I'm saying this but I wish we were getting winds like this.....I suppose I should be careful what I wish for!

leahyl wrote: »
    The weather forecaster was really stressing how serious the winds would be:eek:! I can't believe I'm saying this but I wish we were getting winds like this.....I suppose I should be careful what I wish for!

I hope the New Pandas in Edinburgh zoo wont get scared ... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

i think all parts of the country will see serious winds but i have to say im glad im in the south midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

As luck would have it I am at work tomorrow when this baby hits :(

On the other hand work is 20feet from the shore of Donegal Bay ! :D

I'll try get some video. High tide is at around 4pm. Come to think of it I haven't heard the phrase 'tidal surge' mentioned on here yet. Anyone any info on that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Either Friedhelm or Günter, not sure yet.

Friedhelm it is.

Believe it or not we can buy the name "Will Bill" for a 2012 storm, today, as long as we gather €199 between us.....see http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/adopt-a-vortex/preise/ . Could be a really crap storm though ...I know. :p

Analyse_20111207.gif

Next weeks will be Gunter Hergen or Iven. Here is the list of Low pressure names

Listings

http://www.met.fu-berlin.de/adopt-a-vortex/tief/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Way off topic but if we were talking weather potential on this day in 1981, it would have focused more on snow. A cool polar northwesterly airstream was established during the first part of the month over Ireland which intensified on the 7th December 1981 bringing down troughs of low pressure which gave a good deal of snow over the northern half of Ireland especially:

500hPa analysis for midnight 8th Dec 1981:

184204.gif
    (Image: wetter3.de)

Sat image from around the same time:
    184205.PNG
    (Image: Dundee Satellite Receiving Station)

The trough west of Ireland and the showery bands to the north eventually gave some significant accumulations of snow over northern and central parts of Ireland especially later on the 8th. Top temperature only reached 0.0c at Mullingar and not much higher in other central areas.

Global Daily Summary for the 8th Dec 1981 via Ogimet:
    http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsodres?lang=en&mode=1&state=Irel&ano=1981&mes=12&day=08

Anyway, back to 30 years later and tis looking breezy in the north!

Sorry if this is OT from the thread but how's it looking for next Monday/Tuesday for the Republic? I thought I read earlier (MT and someone else have mentioned it) that there could be a pretty big storm for us then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

irish1967 wrote: »
    I'll try get some video. High tide is at around 4pm. Come to think of it I haven't heard the phrase 'tidal surge' mentioned on here yet. Anyone any info on that?

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/?type=swell

Sorry if this is OT from the thread but how's it looking for next Monday/Tuesday for the Republic? I thought I read earlier (MT and someone else have mentioned it) that there could be a pretty big storm for us then?

Too early to say, its possible but not much confidence yet.

Too early to say, its possible but not much confidence yet.

Cool thanks - thought it might be a bit early alright. If it does happen though looks like it could be pretty serious by what MT is saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Hard to say Leahyl at this stage as it is a week away yet but the potential is there given the vigorous westerly flow projected for next week:

184207.PNG

Cyclogenesis territory there.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Met office uk basic summary

http://youtu.be/KufYaElfDqk

• Advertisement

premiercad wrote: »
    Met office uk basic summary

http://youtu.be/KufYaElfDqk

God i Love the " DISRUMPTION " storms can bring! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭maw368

Pangea wrote: »
    Not sure were you are getting that from, they still have warnings on their website.
    Just seen the bbc forecast, the warnings were directed for Scotland, didnt mention NI too much.

Is this going to be a typical storm for the NW i.e. 120km- 130km gusts
    Or will it be worse?

If you looked at the picture I linked too it showed what the Met Office warning was at that time, which did not have the amber or red warninf or any wind warnings as you can see, This was approx. 3 hours ago and it only had a snow warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Looking forward to the 12z.

maw368 wrote: »
    If you looked at the picture I linked too it showed what the Met Office warning was at that time, which did not have the amber or red warninf or any wind warnings as you can see, This was approx. 3 hours ago and it only had a snow warning.

That was because they took down the warning they had since yesterday while they were putting together the new one.

12Z GFS looking a little more intense already at 12 hours.

That was because they took down the warning they had since yesterday while they were putting together the new one.

Yes, but I didn't know that at the time. Still, I would expect the Met Office to be the first to release the weather and I am surprised that a forum was talking about it before the company that taxes pay millions a year for

Any chance this could change enough by tomorrow so that South Wales may recieve the snow?

About 5mb more intense on this run but its a bit further north so max gusts a bit less for NI but still stormy up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

maw368 wrote: »
    Any chance this could change enough by tomorrow so that South Wales may recieve the snow?

Low risk of snow for low lying areas of south wales tomorrow and Friday morning. A slightly better chance of sleet later on Friday and Friday night although amounts should be quite small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That is some storm, although has been moved further north.

Looks likes two spells of wind.

One ahead of the frontal passage (widespread gusts to 60 knots/70mph), then a slight easing before the backwash (with gusts across parts of Ulster of 80 knots/90mph).

Rtavn241.png

Advertisement