Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Extreme Wind Storm - Thursday 8th December

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I made the right call earlier as the 17:00 return flight Gatwick to Glasgow has been cancelled. I love that video of the trampoline! I went out the back earlier to batten down my 3 wheelie bins, shed and fold up the trampoline. Luckily the guys who done my fence a few years ago made a balls of it and the concrete is in the mud rather than hardcore and now the fence just moves with the wind rather than snapping in two.

The windfarms aren't taking it too good

capturegsv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

I made the right call earlier as the 17:00 return flight Gatwick to Glasgow has been cancelled. I love that video of the trampoline! I went out the back earlier to batten down my 3 wheelie bins, shed and fold up the trampoline. Luckily the guys who done my fence a few years ago made a balls of it and the concrete is in the mud rather than hardcore and now the fence just moves with the wind rather than snapping in two.

The windfarms aren't taking it too good

capturegsv.jpg

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Really stormy here now in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

baraca wrote: »

Tramampoline! Trabopoline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

have friends who live on the westcoast of scotland, ardrossan, saltcoats, west kilbride.....theyre getting battered according to facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Two observations from Galway. The temperature drop predicted by MT was incredible & so sudden. Also I have never seen high cloud moving so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Winds gradually abating on 5pm reports.

Max gust of 57kt at Malin Head with mean speed of 39kt (Gale 8)

53kts at Belmullet and 52kts at Finner Camp & Knock.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Big change in Letterkenny in the past hour, it was actually quite calm with blue skies all afternoon but since 5pm we've had some really heavy blowing hail and graupel. Impressive to watch but not fun to be caught out in

Harps wrote: »
    Big change in Letterkenny in the past hour, it was actually quite calm with blue skies all afternoon but since 5pm we've had some really heavy blowing hail and graupel. Impressive to watch but not fun to be caught out in

Malin and Finner reporting an increase in windspeeds as well on the 6pm reports

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Malin mean windspeed 41kt (Severe gale 9) gusting 59kt
    Finner mean windspeed 33kt (bf 7) gusting 53kts

Mace Head also gusting 64kt

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭popflop

I'll just leave this here...

286170-wind-turbine-bursts-into-flames-as-hurricane-force-winds-hit-scotland-410x230.jpg

Scottish wind turbine finds it too much!
    [startrek] She cannee takit no more, she's gonna blow![/startrek] :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

WolfeIRE wrote: »

How cool is that!

At 00z today, there was a sea level pressure gradient of 13.0hPa between Valentia and South-Uist Range in the Hebrides. By 06z, this gradient had increased to 31.6 hPa and by 10z, it had risen to a whopping 44.2 hPa.

By the same token, the sea level pressure gradient between Malin Head and South-Uist was 7.3 hPa at 00z, 18 hPa at 06z and peaked at 22.4 hPa at 09z.

I know, I'm boring :rolleyes:

ani8t.gif
    Image source: Weatheronline.co.uk

fits wrote: »
    How cool is that!

its pretty cool alright, is that Iancar29 strapped under the wings...?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Daniel O Donnel

Really enjoyed all the coverage on here of the storm this past few days.

One thing that amazed me though was how far out everyone put the storm peaking at.
    I was out to secure a few things around home at 7am before going to work. I was thinking what the heck is it going to be like at the predicted 12-3 period when it is so rough now:eek:

As I drove from Letterkenny to Rathmullan to work around 8am I soon realised that this in fact was the peak as there was so much debris etc about. The first job l had to do was to cut up a large Beech tree which was blocking a road. After clearing the tree it was windy and showery but nothing serious.
    I would say the worst of it was from 7.30-9.30 which made all the predictions look strange.
    Looking forward to more fun in the next few days:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

One thing that amazed me though was how far out everyone put the storm peaking at

Indeed, last October I had an outdoor event on the afternoon. It was determined by all that two squall lines would cross bringing torrential rain for two hours.

We dressed up from head to toe in rain gear and headed off for the preparations. At 11O'Clock we were hit by one massive squall which did drop torrential rain and turned the field into mud but it passed in twenty minutes and I commented that if this was the first squall line we were in for a super time indeed and the even organiser were on the verge of cancelling the event.

As it turns out this was all we got and our afternoon was held in glorious sunshine. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Advertisement