Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 140 - Jones vs. Machida - 10th Dec. Spoilers inside

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

DeVore wrote: »
    Well as someone who has both broken his femur and ripped apart tendons/ligaments and a dislocation, I had plenty of time on my back to read everything I could about it.

Also, you can get off your snotty horse as I said "I bet". Its an opinion. You should know all about them, you throw yours around enough.

DeV.

I think that's the wrong limb.

I think Jones is just too big, to long, too athletic. Like if he wanted to, he could have hunted the take down. Look at that choke, it's like a LHW fighting a MW. Just man handled him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Good showing by both. Jones is a scary f**ker and he's only 23 years old. Imagine what he'll be like when he's 30. He made that choke on Machida look easy and he's not even out of breath. They're going to run out of people to put him up against at some stage.

Denners.ie wrote: »
    I think you may be having a difficulty understanding a KO and a submission.

My bad. I got him 4-1 to finish him in the second.

Pedantics round here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Nearly all early finishes tomight. get to go asleep now.
    great fights tonight and bones hopefully fights rashad next

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I think you may be having a difficulty understanding a KO and a submission.
    Choked unconscious is a ko isn't it?. Sumission is a tap out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,618 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jones "ya i knew he went to sleep after a while" and "my biggest supporter Jesus Christ" uuuggghh

Really he should have told Big John if he knew machida was out.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Where did you get that?

Pedantics my tits, I have never seen a bet like that with any of the leading bookies.

Talking out your gash I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

As I said on Twitter, have we ever seen Lyoto nullified that quickly? Started brightly but, wow, once Jones figured him out it was almost immediately over. Great point whoever said it was like he was trying to figure out a rubix cube. Fascinating fight. Delighted with the result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Arawn wrote: »
    Nice ninja edit ;)

No it isn't, he was unconscious. Did you see him get Knocked Out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Jones "ya i knew he went to sleep after a while" and "my biggest supporter Jesus Christ" uuuggghh

Dennis Hallman after his win earlier said "Jesus come down, we're waitin' for ya. We're barley hangin' on here" or something to that effect :pac:

Some funny bible nut types in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Great PPV all in all, I have to say!

4-1 for jones???

Thats a crazy odd. He was the massive favourite. Got a link for where you got those odds? Id like to place a few bets there.

I don't think so, would't that make a submission a TKO then. KO/TKO has be from strikes, and submission is from, choke out, tap out or from refereee stopage due to submission hold. I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

leggo wrote: »
    As I said on Twitter, have we ever seen Lyoto nullified that quickly?

Didn't a in shape Shogun ko him quickly. As soon as it went to the ground and the elbow happened that was that.
    Oh fu*k up with this thanks Jesus stuff might aswell thank Santy Clause for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,618 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

great night of fights, how am i spose to sleep after that! goodluck lads! sound for the links.

Apparently me and you made stupid posts tonight before he did the ninja edit. He seemed pretty sure it was a KO and we were wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I actually hate the jesus types in american sports.

I even hate Tim Tebow Of the Denver Tebows in the nfl for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Technically, you're knocked out when you're unconscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Think techincal submission (due to injury or choke out) is a TKO, as is doctor stoppage...

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »

Knocked symbolises being put into a form of unconsciousness from a blow.

So technically, you are wrong.

I don't think so, would't that make a submission a TKO then. KO/TKO has be from strikes, and submission is from, choke out, tap out or from refereee stopage due to submission hold. I think.

What about tapping from strikes?

More like choked out.

Knocked symbolises being put into a form of unconsciousness from a blow.

So technically, you are wrong.
    More like choked out.

Personally, I don't think being knocked out is strictly being put unconscious by a blow. May be wrong, may be right, I'm not sure. I'm not arsed posting in here since everyone seems to be on the rag tonight anyway.

Did you see how good Jones' base was when he was on the ground dropping that (those elbows). He sticks his foot out, must go back about 10 feet. Imagine trying to sweep that ****er, like fighting dhaslim.

Such a weird character, usually the seriously rangy long limbed guys are the strikers in the ufc but this guy has a wrestling base.

The only hope I have of Rashad beating him if he just flys at him from the first second. Kamikase style fighting (which 99/100 is the wrong way to fight). Getting into a strike for strike session with Jones will only let you nick a around or two. I think the guys need to just bull rush him and hope they land a lucky shot. If he does that ****ing frog thing at the start kick him in the face and take the point deduction, you'd probably miss any way.

What about tapping from strikes?

yeah, I'm going to go with tapping from strikes = TKO. Taping from submission = submission.
    Getting knocked out is KO. Getting choked out is submission.
    Cut = tko cut. I think. Must check another time or ask dave jones or someone.

Personally, I don't think being knocked out is strictly being put unconscious by a blow. May be wrong, may be right, I'm not sure. I'm not arsed posting in here since everyone seems to be on the rag tonight anyway.

Personally, and categorically, you are 100% wrong. You cannot be knocked out from a submissive manoeuvre, the hint is in the name ffs.

I don't think anyone doesn't want you to post but please don't start using terms like "technically" when you are posting tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Robdoo

Did you see how good Jones' base was when he was on the ground dropping that (those elbows). He sticks his foot out, must go back about 10 feet. Imagine trying to sweep that ****er, like fighting dhaslim.

Thats actually a very good description of him. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Holy Sh*t! I realise that kind of guillotine has probably been done before but I'm not sure that Jones himself had done it - it looked almost ad lib!

Did someone call this guy a chancer on this board? Jones is a pure natural plain and simple. That was opportunistic positioning at it's very finest.

Also, I'm actually so fking delighted for Mir!

He had his HW title taken from him by what was basically bad luck with his motorbike accident. After that he was just not the same Frank Mir. Then he starts coming back into things but not doing what made him the champ - submissions - he was boxing his way back in, the bloody fool! Meanwhile, I've been screaming at the TV to go back to what he's good at and every time he pulls off a KO making me STFU and admire the amazing progression that he's somehow pulling off.

Remember this guy is one of the old school fighters and he's progressed like no other of the old ilk. He was pure submissions and little else when he was HW champ.

And when he (eventually and with no other choice but to break his arm) submits Big Nog, going back to the old Frank Mir, I'm jumping around the place screaming again, but this time in delight! I know he comes across as arrogant, I don't think he actually is - it's just his manner - but one way or another, he's about the most unpredictable and frustrating fighter out there which makes me a pure fan!

Delighted for him! :D

• Advertisement

actually, I think hendo will be the man again. He can take a punch and won't be dominated in the clinch like the rest. Like obviously JBJ will be the big favourite, but I see Hendo catching him with a big right and brutalising him. come on hendo. unfortuntely a bit small though.

Advertisement