Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old were you when you moved out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

22 now and still at home. Close enough to college that it makes as much sense not to move out as anything else. Hoping to move out in the next yea when i'm done college, so hopefully by 23!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

lastlaugh wrote: »
    How old were you when you moved out of your parent's house?

I was 24 when I bought a house with my partner.

Lucky you.

I'm out, but I doubt I will ever own my house.

Weird that you never rented first.

Irish way I suppose

Buying a brand new car when your learning to drive.

Getting married before you lived with your partner.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

19, moved into a spooky old bedsit. Dunno how I stayed there thinking back now! The folly of youth :pac:

Have moved in and out of home a few times since then, my next move is gonna be my last thats for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

When I was at college I lived away during the week, home at weekends and holidays! Now I'm finished and working part time. Living at home as my Dad isn't working and my contribution to the bills really helps! I'm 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Left school at 17, took a year off. Spent 6 months in Paris and a year in Australia in that time. Also spent another 6 years in college (we live near both the colleges I attended, my parents totally vetoed me going to college anywhere that wasn't within a radius of our house). Fair enough like, their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i was eight months and 30 days when i moved out of my auld lassies gowl.. yessirreee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

In_My_Tree wrote: »
    I was about to move out a few months ago but I took an arrow to the knee.
    say whatttttttttt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭carrick79

21. Quit my job and went to Dublin, had friends there so had a place, luckily got a new job within the week and stayed. Am 32 now and I can't see myself ever moving back.

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »
    To all those cool people that live in the middle of nowhere and think that going to university in a city for a few months and coming home at every weekend with the washing is classed as "moving out" well I feel sorry for you..
    yea do your own bleedin washin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Were those of you who were 19 not really sure what was going on?

flanum wrote: »
    i was eight months and 30 days when i moved out of my auld lassies gowl.. yessirreee!
    and i suppose you have spent the rest of the time up to now trying to get back into a gowl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

and i suppose you have spent the rest of the time up to now trying to get back into a gowl

yessirreee.. tryin damn hard to get into vampire of kilmainhams auld lassies gowl.

23. Was living in Listowel with my parents at the time but just didn't like it. Got a job in Dublin and fled the nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I can understand why you left home, but six years on, you might think of maybe forgiving your mother or at the very least, getting back in touch with her.

No matter what she did, she's still your mother & has probably spent the last six years worried sick about you.

Did your mother ever tryed to kill you and her self, or when you were 14 years old, did she ever holded a knife to your throat while being drunk?!

Thank you, but I me and my misses are better off on our own.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

21 and still counting! It will take a very special woman to get me outta here. Hopefully after xmas :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Moved out of home when I was 20 and shared a small room with my best friend, so my rent was very cheap. I worked part time weekends and some evenings and paid my own rent and food (and I could eat at the job I worked at) but my dad helped me out with college expenses. It wasn't 100% independence but it definitely gave me some skills at a fairly early age to budget, to clean my own clothes, pay bills, keep a flat clean (I didn't go home at weekends) which has stuck with me for life. I now earn less than 12,500 a year teaching English in Spain and I am the queen of making money last. I've no debts and I'm extremely good with money because it's a habit I developed from a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I was 24 heading for 25. I had gotten my first job a few months earlier and some mates asked me to move in with them (they were in Dublin, I was in Kildare), so I did. The mother didn't take it too well and ended up not speaking to me for about six months. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Moved out at 16 from the family home but my parents hadn't lived there since I was 13 (just my siblings).
    Dysfunction!!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

19 when i moved for college, but moved back home when i got very sick.

and now. 24, moved to dundalk with my girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Did your mother ever tryed to kill you and her self, or when you were 14 years old, did she ever holded a knife to your throat while being drunk?!

No, thankfully not.

It sounds to me like your mother has some very serious mental health issues & a drink problem and that you probably are better off away from her for your own good. But at the same time, it would do you no harm to call her just to let her know that you're OK.

Look I'm not trying to tell you what to do - you're old enough to make your own decisions, but if you don't get in touch it could be something you will live to regret later on in life.

No-one is perfect and it's very easy for people to be overcome by mental health issues & end up with drink or drug problems. Try to look at it this way... if you & your partner had a kid, and for some reason you fell out with the kid when they were a teenager - how would you feel if you didn't see or hear from them for over half a decade?

I know you've gone through some really bad shit, but just one phone call won't hurt anybody & could do a whole lot of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Am I the only one who thinks that moving out for college with the aid of your parents money isn't really moving out at all? Unless you're paying your own way it really isn't the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I was 20. Got in from work on a Thursday and my dad asked me if I had any news, I replied "no... actually yea I forgot to say I'm moving out on Saturday".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Dudess wrote: »
    Were those of you who were 19 not really sure what was going on?

In what sense? Not over-analysing the significance of moving out, and just going ahead and doing it?

I suppose I was like that a bit. But it was more of a case of I HAD to move out, my job was 20 miles away, and since I didn't have a car at the time I couldn't be asking my parents to collect me every night (late hours of work too). Even though I lived alone at first for a month or 2, it was good for my independence & I'm glad I did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Am I the only one who thinks that moving out for college with the aid of your parents money isn't really moving out at all? Unless you're paying your own way it really isn't the same.

I agree. I moved out to go to college but I wasn't getting anything from my parents. I lived in a houseshare with people who were having their rent and bills paid for by their parents and who went home every weekend. To me, that wasn't the same as the way I was living. They were living at home in all but location.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Moved out when i was 18 and went to Dublin to do a course, came back at 20 and lived at home for 2 years then left again at 22 and worked away from home till i was 30, then moved back in home again for another few years as my mum was on her own, moved out again at 34 and bought my own house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

When I say I moved out I mean financially as well as everything else,I was pure on my own and had to learn very quickly about balancing the budgets and paying bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

I moved out every summer during college from 18 and 21 and moved out permanently when I got my first proper job, aged 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I was 23, but had to move back in when 25. Haven't left since...Can't afford to live on my own. I contribute but otherwise I can't afford to pay a full months rent at the moment with no job. So for financial reasons I am still at home otherwise I be out of there and never come again ever!

Even if it means building a house of my own near family! But would hope to live nearer to town or suburb or in a city to be honest, get away from this dreary side of the country might be an idea in itself If I could afford to move to the next town even, I would!

There are some people who never marry and live with their parents 'till old age like. Everyone is different. Shouldn't matter how old someone leaves home, if they have done it once they do it again like at some point in their lives.

I think the recession alone is enough to make people live with parents longer.

Advertisement