Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old were you when you moved out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

22 full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

18, for college. Almost feels strange staying there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

more or less since I was 15, but the old fella says I was always in a different place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

and after 10 years I'm back because I don't have a job anymore.

God this country is a cúnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

21 for the first time but that was only for a few months as part of a college exchange. Went back for my final year in college and I was cracking up, got out as soon as I could after that. I think after having a taste of freedom but having to go back and there being no two ways about it was the worst thing. So was delighted when I graduated and the opportunity came up for a job and a new place to live.

I'd have to be very desperate to live at home again. My mother's fine but I have a major personality clash with my step-father, who sits around the house all day. I can barely stand him for five minutes so having to live with him would drive me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

26, saved up and bought the house I'm in now. I agree (to a point) with people saying might as well stay at home and save up rather than paying rent to someone else.

But, that's assuming everyone has a good relationship with their folks, siblings. I was very lucky in that I did and was sad moving out, but not everyone has that luxury and can't wait to get the feck away from their family!!

Stay if you can and it's better for you, get the hell out if it's making you miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm hopefully moving to France next August/September, so I'll just have turned 20. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

16 officially but I had been gone since I was 14, just noone really noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Garzorico

28. I've told my eldest (16) that at 21 (after college) he's out the door....best thing that will happen to 'em....you're not really living your life until your out of your parents gaff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

lastlaugh wrote: »
    How old were you when you moved out of your parent's house?

I was 24 when I bought a house with my partner.

Do you think it's a bit unhealty for people to stay at home past a certain age?

I know of some people who have no intention of moving out of their parents as they have it too handy, which I think is a bit unnatural...

As a 52 year-old parent I could never understand that attitude. We have three children.

The eldest moved out at 17 and is now married, with his own business.

The middle one is in the last year of her qualification, and still lives at home.

The youngest (21) emigrated at 18 and now works for a multinational abroad.

We have a great relationship with all three, and while it was hard work at times while they were growing up, we are now very proud of them as the adults that they have become.

The one still at home is welcome to stay as long as she likes. She does her own thing; her boyfriend stays over (with her); and she is very happy with her life.

She went to College locally and received a bit of flak for not moving out. When she pointed out to her fellow students how cushy she had it, some were envious.

So it's horses for courses - and far from unnatural.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

moved out a few years ago, 22, to live with the bf at the time, loved it tbh, broke up with me this year, so looking to have saved up/have a job by mid next year with any luck and move out somewhere again come my bday, 26

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Moved out at 18 for college, never moved back. Living with my fiancé now for 5 years, and I'm 24 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Moved out in early twenties but went back a few times between places for about six months at a time.

Own my own place now and have a family myself.

Some of the stories here make me a bit sad. I would like my kids to be independent but this school of hard knocks bollocks of booting your kids out at 17 or 18 is a bit cuntish if the stories are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Early 20s. And I think if a person wants to stay at home indefinitely, so long as they pay towards bills and mortgage/rent and do their own cooking, washing etc, there's nothing wrong with it.

Not sure whether moving away to college and being subsidised by the folks is quite "moving out" in the independence sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

22. Just got a bit sick of living at home, constantly at loggerheads with the parentals, so moved out when an opportunity to move into a house with 4 of my friends landed in my lap. Cannot see myself ever moving back home, unless I lose work and lose income and it is simply not feasible. I like the bit of independence far too much now to move back!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Skulldigger

Eleven. I'm so independent, I'm just great. Kids these days have it too handy I tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Paulor94

17 still in the parents house. i'll wait till i'm finished school to move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 In_My_Tree

I was about to move out a few months ago but I took an arrow to the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

26 and still at home. Have moved out for periods where I was travelling/in college. Don't have the funds to live out of home at the moment. Living at home is grand though, I do my own thing and avoid the parents most of the time. I cook them the odd meal and do some cleaning and shopping and it works out ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Moved out at 21, it was time considering I'd an 18month old. It was too freaky feeling like the child, when I had a child..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

17. Not only moved out, but went abroad. No failure to launch allowed in our family.

same as me........i went abroad at 17......and haven't gone home yet, thirteen years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ran away from home at 19, when my mother was against mine and misses shadowhearth friendship. Came to Ireland with 100 quid in pocket, nowhere to go back, no job and just a bag with few pairs of sock, underpants and t-shirts.
    Now 25 year old, extremely happy with misses shadowhearth. My mother nether heard of us anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

20 and moved from Ballyfermot to Ballybough, Must be fond of the bally's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Just gone 17- a very innocent me moved to Dublin to start nurse training.
    Never moved back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

At 19 I moved to London to start college. It was a massive culture shock moving from the Irish countryside to such a huge cosmopolitan city, but it was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

To all those cool people that live in the middle of nowhere and think that going to university in a city for a few months and coming home at every weekend with the washing is classed as "moving out" well I feel sorry for you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ran away from home at 19, when my mother was against mine and misses shadowhearth friendship. Came to Ireland with 100 quid in pocket, nowhere to go back, no job and just a bag with few pairs of sock, underpants and t-shirts.
    Now 25 year old, extremely happy with misses shadowhearth. My mother nether heard of us anymore.

I can understand why you left home, but six years on, you might think of maybe forgiving your mother or at the very least, getting back in touch with her.

No matter what she did, she's still your mother & has probably spent the last six years worried sick about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

17 but back again now :mad:

but away again in 3 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Advertisement