Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old were you when you moved out?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

moved out many moons back when i was 17 and joined the army and spent a lot of my carear there on overseas duties so would only be home the odd time learned a lot about life though and the people in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

I moved out when I was 25, but broke up with my girlfriend and moved back with the parents last year.

I'm now 30 and living at home. Should I move out? If you think I should, please "thank" this post so I can get some of the "wisdom of crowds".

I'm being serious by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

coonecb1 wrote: »
    I moved out when I was 25, but broke up with my girlfriend and moved back with the parents last year.

I'm now 30 and living at home. Should I move out? If you think I should, please "thank" this post so I can get some of the "wisdom of crowds".

Everyone's life works out diffrently.

There's no real set rules.

The 'cool' crowd will say 'move out at 16 & if you don't your're a loser'.

I don't agree with that. If it suits you fine.

I moved out at 20 & was back at home at various times till I was 36.

In the meantime I'd invested in property, but still didn't move out.

I got on alright with the folks, all my 'stuff' was there & I didn't mind helping out financially & otherwise.

Eventually I moved out because my GF fell pregnant & we simply needed a place of our own to live. Been happy ever since.

Just the way things work out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was 18 when I moved in to a "singles quarters" run by the company I was working for. It was in response to my family breaking up - stepmother divorcing my father. I'd had enough of the lot of them and was more than ready to be on my own.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Moved out at 16 (turned 17 a few weeks later), and have been living out of home pretty much ever since. Moved back home at 20 for about 4 months. Our family get on well but me and my mother have the exact same personality so we clash when we live together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

at the ripe old age of 18, I came in from work one day and my mam had ads for rooms/apts circled in the local paper, she follwed with the phrase - 'you can either move out now or your housekeeping money goes towards your deposit'. On my 21st birhtday I paid my deposit on my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

18 going on 19 for me. First year of college/earning proper money.

Moved home for a few weeks in between selling and buying houses but that was it. Too young I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

15, but that was a Summer in Dublin, same at 16.

Properly moved out at 17, back again aged 21 for a year or so.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Still here, and I think I'll be here until I'm 23 at the earliest. Tbh the money I pay in rent helps my parents a lot so it works out well for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

19 and I didn't move out, my folks decided they'd enjoy a life in Cape Town.

Basically, they deserted me. I hold no grudges* (nearly 10 years on)

*OMFG yes I do. The bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

OneArt wrote: »
    20 or so. I wouldn't mind living with my parents again, it'd be kind of nice. I think they're used to the chain-smoking, wine drinking and writing into the small hours of the morning.

Only trouble is they live in a pretty boring place where most of my friends have moved from. Also I quite like Germany.

So yeah, I'll keep paying my own bills.
    so your parents are hard core. big whoop.

but are you used to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

hmm. dunno. you still getting the hang sangwiches, with capri sun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

20 but I moved out the country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I was 23, moved in with my bf, and fingers crossed moving back home at 25 with fiancé (same guy!) so we can save for a deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

26 and still at home. I can't see myself moving out before 30, and then only if I find a girl and get married or something. Otherwise there is just no need.

phasers wrote: »
    Still here, and I think I'll be here until I'm 23 at the earliest. Tbh the money I pay in rent helps my parents a lot so it works out well for everyone

Why pay hard earned dosh to some faceless landlord when you can give something back to the 'olds'?

Tbh when I was in my 30's & living under my parent's roof, I didn't see much of them really.

We all worked long hours or had hobbies & intrests that kept us out of the house anyway.

Ironically, we see more of each other now than when I lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'm 27 and have lived at home all my life,

I used the money I saved on not paying ridiculous rent for sh1tholes to save up and buy my own home, got the deeds last week.

Moving out asap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I'm in college now, moved out and have no intention of moving back in. Going Switzerland/Germany or somewhere cool (with regards to engineering like ;)). As for summer holidays, I'll hopefully have a job abroad somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

16, got a job in supermacs, then discovered i had moved in with a couple of middle aged swingers, wasnt my scene so quickly found another place! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

12/13...boarding school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

Im 19 and still at home.

My house is literally a 2 minute walk to college... and probably 5 minute walk to my job. Couldnt be in a better house if I tried :D

Id say I'll be here for another good few years yet. At the very least until college is over. And probably for a while after that till I get sorted with a decent job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

When I was 18 for college, and absolutely loved it! In the two years since then I've lived abroad twice, Africa for 7 months and travelling around Europe now till Christmas! But having said that, I cannot wait to go home to Mammy and Daddy, to the comfort of a home and lovely dinners :D

xsiborg wrote: »
    16, got a job in supermacs, then discovered i had moved in with a couple of middle aged swingers, wasnt my scene so quickly found another place! :o

U no wanna swing wit da crew?

Shame on u!

Signed

Ur x Landlord:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Sending this from my parents' house. Other than that, no comment. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

xsiborg wrote: »

I think I speak for everyone when I ask you to expand on this. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Thanks whore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

worst day ever now I have to wash my own underpants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I'm still there - Wife and kids wont let me move out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

17 - was pregnant so myself and my boyfriend rented an apartment together. Although I don't know if you'd call it an apartment - was an awful yolk, and you could barely move about in it it was so small.

Advertisement