Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any deals on GU10 Im guessing 5w and upwards and dimmable ?
    I would need approx. 25 of them..

I got these from Lightrabbit. They are bright. I got the cool white ones. I think the COB LEDs are better than the SMD's for brightness and they are dimmable. There are promo codes available for Lightrabbit so might not be too expensive when buying a large amount.

josip wrote: »
    I replaced our T4s with LED Strip (5050 SMDs although I probably only needed the 3528s)

Something like this?
    How many LED's where needed for each bulb you replaced? Would 500mm of this LED strip replace a 500mm florescent tube for brightness or would you require a longer strip?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

aido76 wrote: »
    Something like this?
    How many LED's where needed for each bulb you replaced? Would 500mm of this LED strip replace a 500mm florescent tube for brightness or would you require a longer strip?

I used that.
    It worked really well.

Where did you get the strips from? Amazon? Can you post a link to them? Read some reviews with terrible quality issues from some sellers. I like the idea of being able to cut the strips and join them using a connector. There are strips available on light rabbit but it says the joints need soldering. Would the connectors work with the light rabbit strips? Thanks for the info so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

aido76 wrote: »
    Something like this?

Yes, I got mine from a disreputable 98.5% trader on eBay but the strip has worked fine.
    I use connectors to join them rather than soldering.
    It was actually the 5630s I got to replace a 10W T4.
    If your T4 is a 500mm (485?) then it's probably a 900-1000 lumen output.
    So you might need to put in a couple of strips beside each other to get the same lumen output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I am pretty new to these so grateful for any help. Looks like it is time to replace one of these.
    Anything I need to be aware of. Can't see any rating on the bulb housing itself.
    e.g I have no idea what the wattage is or if there is max rating on these fixtures vs the more conventional Edison bulbs which obviously loose a lot of their energy potential light energy to heat.

I could do with some more light on the spot where this one has gone. It is one of 6 in front of the mirror in an awkwardly shaped room. Any issues with this. Given I don't know the wattage of any of the LED in any case.

Last thing I wanted to check was how do these bulbs normally fail. In the case of this bulb in its last week or so it was giving intermittent light that is switching on/off. After lights were turned off at the switch on a few occassions, this light has continued to blink on and off 5-10 seconds. Is this normal or not? Could it be down to a transformer and not the bulb?

I have checked the light fixture in the ceiling and the fixture itself is Marked GU 10, 2.0A, 250V.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not an electrician, but AFAIK traditional halogen GU10 bulbs would have been around 35w, LEDs might be 5w or so, so I can't see there being any issues no matter what LED one you get.

There wouldn't be a separate transformer on a GU10 bulb as they are designed to take mains ac power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

IKEA do very good GU10 LEDs - I've replaced all the 50W halogens in my kitchen with the 400 lumen version and there is better light than previously. They are €5 ea. there is also a twin pack of 200 lumen ones however I have not tried these.

400 lumen

200 lumen

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just a note and not having a pop Pete, but while 400 lumens is good , a 50watt halogen would usually have a higher rating . Sometimes comparing old lamps to new lamps can lead to errors you'd need to compare both up and running from new, that said I'd go with 400 lumens for 5W too

Won't be factoring running costs into this one. It will be an LED because that what the whole flat is fitted with, so will replace like with like as best I can. Don't want the landlord to have anything to bitch about when I move out. No idea what rating the current LED bulbs are or even the makers as there are no distinguishing marks on them anywhere.

I had no idea the particular fitting weren't unique to LED till someone else mentioned it in here. Hence my concern with if the socket would be rated high enough for a brighter bulb. If I can throw one in for about €5 and forget about it job done.
    Might have to pop my head into Lenihans at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭droidman123

Hi hope I am on the right thread.I want to buy a bedside table lamp and was wondering can I use an LED bulb In it or do I have to have a specific type of lamp to be able to use an LED bulb in it rather than the standard bulb that it comes with?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

I think LED bulbs are directional so a normal cfl would be better and are fairly economical.

TOEJOE wrote: »
    I think LED bulbs are directional so a normal cfl would be better and are fairly economical.

What does "directional" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Directional means that most of the light goes in one direction (like the lights on the front of a car).

However it's not true that all LEDs are directional, but they do tend to have less spread.

Thanks for the info guys,i am inclined to stay away from cfl,s incase they broke,messy with the mercury content,think i will scout around for led,s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thanks for the info guys,i am inclined to stay away from cfl,s incase they broke,messy with the mercury content,think i will scout around for led,s.

Id say there is more risk putting petrol in a car, or crossing the road, or walking up/down stairs, than from cfl mercury.

There should be no problem replacing the bulb with an LED one. Unless it's some oddball fitment.
    We replaced our bedside lamps with LED ones and haven't noticed any negative effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just buy one with the same fitting and a similar equivalent power rating, might be 30 W for example. The colour of the light won't match that of a regular incandescent but you'll get used to it. I find Robus warm yellow quite good. Be prepared to spend a tenner on it though. Some electrical shops allow you to test the LED lamps to experience the quality before you buy.

You can get them in Dealz for €1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

There will be no issues at all using an Led.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can get them in Dealz for €1.49

Cheers for that, but can't see anything with the existing light so, could do with some more light in that spot.

Any ones you can swap from different locations in the house?

If ikea is handy for you then the €5 400 lumen ones would make sense. I think the gu10s I had in the kitchen were only 150 lumen or so. If you replaced a few you'd see a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey sorry to but in randomly, is there anywhere brick and mortar I can buy Philips Hue.

And does anyone on here recommend any similar product. I am specifically interested in the LED strips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

errlloyd wrote: »
    Hey sorry to but in randomly, is there anywhere brick and mortar I can buy Philips Hue.

If you don't mind paying more, then any Currys/PcWorld have them.

http://www.currys.ie/action/searchsite/hue#&&Page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If you don't mind paying more, then any Currys/PcWorld have them.

Local Curry's PC World only had one or two of the bulbs, no sets or LED strips or anything. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bigbru

Hi, I replaced a 500W halogen floodlight with a 50W LED one. The halogen bulb had blown a few weeks back.
    The light is connected to a standalone PIR.
    Once connected to the PIR, the LED floodlight was flashing intermittently, and a multimeter showed that a low power supply was being sent to the light intermittently, like pulsing. Note that this was during the day, when the PIR shouldn't be 'calling for power'.
    Questions are:
    - do you need a particular type of PIR for a LED Flood? (I see ones advertised for 'incandescent only')
    - so do I need to buy a PIR that supports LED?
    - is the PIR just knackered anyway, and needs replacing?
    - any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

errlloyd wrote: »

And does anyone on here recommend any similar product. I am specifically interested in the LED strips.

Fit strips eBay is your friend , you'll get the same strips for 10 euro that ships charge 70.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-300-LED-Strip-Light-3528-5050-SMD-RGB-Ribbon-Tape-Roll-Waterproof-IP65-12V-UK-/111149379528?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202351%2526meid%253D0c0e230e2d3d4d27a8118cac765e16c3%2526pid%253D100408%2526rk%253D5%2526rkt%253D23%2526mehot%253Dpp%2526sd%253D350871703543&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

May be of interest to anyone looking for LED B22 bayonet bulbs:
    Philips 230 V B22 Bayonet 14 W LED Light Bulb - Warm White Frosted [Energy Class A+]
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010UQK9TA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14W in title but packaging states 13.5W (1521 lm).
    Recently purchased one at old price: £13.32 (inc. Irish VAT rate). Received and very happy with colour temperature. Instant on. Have now ordered more at reduced price.

Current selling price of £8.20 (at Irish VAT rate) is lowest price Amazon has sold them at.
    Camelizer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭positron

ted1 wrote: »

I am also looking for strips to fit under kitchen cabinet, is this particular eBAy seller and product recommended? Also description has a AC to DC transformer, but further down the page it says 'does not include power source'. Slightly confused.

5m 5050 warmwhite strip is less that £7, which is brilliant - but shipping seems to be £20+. May have to ParcelMotel this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

You need a power transformer to get from AC to DC as LED's run off 12v DC. You could buy a driver for less money. Be warned the light output is not great for worklights and they run at 15w per metre. If you want expensive to run "pretty" then OK but i would consider better quality lights/lamps/mini tubes. If you pay peanuts don't be surprised if they don't last.

Advertisement