Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

loyatemu wrote: »
    I replaced 3 halogen GU10s in a single spotlight fitting with 4W LEDs, but the light switch started buzzing.

If I put one of the halogens back in the buzzing stops (so that's how I've left it for now). There is a dimmer on the other switch for this fitting, but I never actually dim the lights and its the non-dimmer switch that's buzzing - any ideas?

The dimmer needs to be rated for the lower wattage of the lamps, not sure why the buzzing is coming from the other switch, I assume from your post that you have two way switching in the room? I would be fairly sure if you get a new dimmer installed that has the right rating you will get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,834 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

salmocab wrote: »
    The dimmer needs to be rated for the lower wattage of the lamps, not sure why the buzzing is coming from the other switch, I assume from your post that you have two way switching in the room? I would be fairly sure if you get a new dimmer installed that has the right rating you will get sorted.

Its strange - there's 3 light fittings on the same 2 sets of switches (i.e. 3 switches on one side of the room, 3 dimmers on the other). The other 2 fittings have CFLs in them, so low wattage as well but no buzzing (obviously I have to keep the dimmers at 100% but its a kitchen - I'm not why we have dimmers there at all).

loyatemu wrote: »
    Its strange - there's 3 light fittings on the same 2 sets of switches (i.e. 3 switches on one side of the room, 3 dimmers on the other). The other 2 fittings have CFLs in them, so low wattage as well but no buzzing (obviously I have to keep the dimmers at 100% but its a kitchen - I'm not why we have dimmers there at all).

Probably best to just swap the dimmers for normal switches so, you would need to get some kind of grid switch to make up a three gang switch into what I presume is a double size switch if it has 3 dimmers in it. Any electrical wholesaler should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

lgk wrote: »
    Anyone ever buy from LED Vista? Placed on order almost 3 weeks ago now and it's still listed as 'processing' and they don't answer emails.

Well, for anyone else considering them, I'd recommend avoiding LEDVista. Over a month, and won't return emails or phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭colcatscar

cletus wrote: »
    Looking at changing out the 50w gu10 halogens in my kitchen and hall, but was holding off because the 4w led replacements didn't appear to offer as much light (we have 8 gu10's in the kitchen).

I see that Ikea now have a 6.5w version of their ledare gu10 bulb that's rated at 400l, but can't find any reviews online for them. Does anybody here gave experience of these bulbs?

Got 4 of these last Thursday. Put them in a light fitting at one end of kitchen to replace 4 halogen 50W GU10s and am very happy with them so far. Have 4 more GU10s at other side of kitchen and the LEDs are just as bright if not a little brighter. Getting 4 more to replace the remaining GU10s on my next trip to Ikea. You need a family card to get them at €4.50 (they are priced €6 on shelf)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got this one on BA;
    maringo wrote: »
    and came here. Never saw this thread before.

Was wondering if they'd be "super bright", or "warm white"? They're listed as 200 lumens.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭josip

the_syco wrote: »
    Got this one on BA;

and came here. Never saw this thread before.

Was wondering if they'd be "super bright", or "warm white"? They're listed as 200 lumens.

The brightness is measured in lumens and I wouldn't consider 200 to be super bright.

The colour of the light will be measured in Kelvin, "warm white " is usually 2700K, cool white 3000/3300K and for SAD sufferers you can go all the yay up to 5000/6000K, after which, every other light just seems yellow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Looking to get a replacement dimmer switch. Can anyone recommend any good ones?

I bought some of the IKEA GU10 dimmable 6.3w leds to replace some halogens. They work great with regular switches but there is quite an audible buzzing/humming in the room when i put them in the room with a dimmer switch. The buzzing lessens as you turn them up. Its odd in that i've put my ear to each bulb and the switch and cant actually hear it coming from the switch or individual bulbs but its definitely there in the room. So had to refit the haolgens for the time being
    cletus wrote: »
    I see that Ikea now have a 6.5w version of their ledare gu10 bulb that's rated at 400l, but can't find any reviews online for them. Does anybody here gave experience of these bulbs?

Aside form this issue i'm really impressed with these bulbs. Am actually going to replace a load of lower watt leds too that were in the house but are too dull and cool white. These have a great warm white colour and are lovely and bright. They are also the easiest to fit GU10s ever! 5 mins to fit 8 of these Vs the 35 mins to refit the halogens.

are these in woodies any good?

Scruff wrote: »
    Looking to get a replacement dimmer switch. Can anyone recommend any good ones?

I bought some of the IKEA GU10 dimmable 6.3w leds to replace some halogens. They work great with regular switches but there is quite an audible buzzing/humming in the room when i put them in the room with a dimmer switch. The buzzing lessens as you turn them up. Its odd in that i've put my ear to each bulb and the switch and cant actually hear it coming from the switch or individual bulbs but its definitely there in the room. So had to refit the haolgens for the time being

Aside form this issue i'm really impressed with these bulbs. Am actually going to replace a load of lower watt leds too that were in the house but are too dull and cool white. These have a great warm white colour and are lovely and bright. They are also the easiest to fit GU10s ever! 5 mins to fit 8 of these Vs the 35 mins to refit the halogens.

are these in woodies any good?
    You need a dimmer that is rated for your LEDs so yours needs to be rated for 52 watts, just go into any electrical wholesalers and ask they will give you the right one, they will have a min and max rating. Generally a wholesalers will be a cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Hi folks

we're undertaking a renovation project. We got a price from a small builder for a single story extension, new electrics, heating system, kitchen and refurb. electrics and gas being sub contracted out but overseen by builder.

Just found out that electrician says his price did not include any down lighters. I'm quite surprised because given the style and size of the extension central ceiling lights would be lost. I understood that at least the minimum of down lighters (which would be 8) were included and anything above that was extra which is fair enough. The builder thought the same.

so anyway sparks has quoted a price of €27 per LED down lighter. I wanted dimmer switches but am told that will cost almost double per light.

I'm just wondering if a) the price per light sounds about right

and b) if I am on a hiding to nothing to push the matter for a certain number of lights to be included. We are paying €5k for rewiring and new fuse board 4 bed house.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭meercat

If there's only 8 downlights then he's losing a lot of good will for the sake of €216. Think he should bite the bullet and include them.

Think €27 is a fair price though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

good quality Phillips dimmer led bulbs cost less than 15 Euro each. I don't see how that will double his quote of 27 Euro per point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Get another sparks, end of. This is boom time ride the client time again

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

we're undertaking a renovation project. We got a price from a small builder for a single story extension, new electrics, heating system, kitchen and refurb. electrics and gas being sub contracted out but overseen by builder.

When you say that you "have a price", did you get a written quotation stating exactly what electrical work you should expect?
    Just found out that electrician says his price did not include any down lighters. I'm quite surprised because given the style and size of the extension central ceiling lights would be lost.

What type of a room is it? Kitchen?
    I understood that at least the minimum of down lighters (which would be 8) were included and anything above that was extra which is fair enough. The builder thought the same.

Where did the figure 8 come from, you, the builder or the electrician?

8 downlighter is a lot.
    Lines of downlighter was popular in the nineties and early naughties. Most feel that this dates a home nowadays and makes ceilings look like runways. From what I see under counter lighting in kitchens with a pendant (or 2 or 3) over the kitchen table is the current trend.

As a general rule lights should be installed above the areas that light is required. I know that sounds a stupid, but many forget this and "over light" areas.
    so anyway sparks has quoted a price of €27 per LED down lighter.

Very reasonable price.
    I wanted dimmer switches but am told that will cost almost double per light.

The lights would cost more because a more expensive type of lamp is required.
    I'm just wondering if a) the price per light sounds about right

Yes, see above.
    b) if I am on a hiding to nothing to push the matter for a certain number of lights to be included. We are paying €5k for rewiring and new fuse board 4 bed house.

Impossible to know if the price is good or not, it depends on many factors including the spec.

The first thing that you need is a detailed written quotation that gives you a breakdown room by room listing exactly what you are getting. That way there can be no more surprises. Otherwise you may spend €5k and have no idea what yo are getting. You should be thinking of intruder alarm, TV points (modern HD TVs often require different wiring), smoke and heat detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, descent heating controls (this will save you a lot) etc...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

that is a decent cost. there is a lot more work involved with down lighters sounds like he's doing it at cost.

down lighters would not usually be the norm so they would be an extra IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Bought a Varilight V-pro dimmer in the local wholesaler that is supposed to be rated for as low as 10w but there is still a buzzing sound. Not as bad as with the original dimmer but noticeable when its quiet.
    They also dont have as good a range of dimming before they start strobing.
    I calibrated the minimum dim to get rid of the strobing then tried using the 2nd mode trailing edge on the dimmer but buzzing still there :(
    Not sure if bulbs or switch is to blame.
    Good lights in a regular switch though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

I am building an extension onto my kitchen at the moment, it will have a sloped ceiling. I was planning in two rows of three down lights but the idea of it looking like the runway of an airport has me questioning using them.
    What alternatives are there?

Remember if you use them on a sloped ceiling the higher the ceiling the less light you get at ground level

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Ill try and avoid lights on the slopes now, there is no flat area at the peak either. Would wall uplighers work?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,386 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    good quality Phillips dimmer led bulbs cost less than 15 Euro each. I don't see how that will double his quote of 27 Euro per point.

Has to run a cable to each, cut out hole. Supply and Fit a fitting

• Advertisement

he quoted 27 per point inc led bulbs. cheap price. my issue is him doubling this quote to 50 or more because the bulbs need to dim. open has a good price but an extra 17.50 for dimmer bulbs is a rip off

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sleeper12 wrote:
    he quoted 27 per point inc led bulbs. cheap price. my issue is him doubling this quote to 50 or more because the bulbs need to dim. open has a good price but an extra 17.50 for dimmer bulbs is a rip off

well dimming LEDs are expensive, and they still blow. The non dimming bulb's are half the price. you can get a non dimming LED lamp for about 10 euro and it is a lot more expensive for the dimming version.

make sure you are getting a brand like Philips or osram, GE etc not eBay or Amazon unbranded lamps

Your alternative is buy the correct lamps and fit them yourself.

dimmable LEDs raise the cost from about 10 euro to about 21/25 euro

the dimming led gives more trouble.

consider a lamp or switching the lamps in banks of 4 not 8 for a dimming alternative.

also the high ceiling will spread the light around better. you won't get as many dark spots or as many bright spots all over its a better job to have an even light IMHO,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

As a watcher of Room to improve why is Dermot Bannon still placing downlighters in a straight line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

Stoner wrote: »
    well dimming LEDs are expensive, and they still blow. The non dimming bulb's are half the price. you can get a non dimming LED lamp for about 10 euro and it is a lot more expensive for the dimming version.

make sure you are getting a brand like Philips or osram, GE etc not eBay or Amazon unbranded lamps

Your alternative is buy the correct lamps and fit them yourself.

dimmable LEDs raise the cost from about 10 euro to about 21/25 euro

the dimming led gives more trouble.

consider a lamp or switching the lamps in banks of 4 not 8 for a dimming alternative.

also the high ceiling will spread the light around better. you won't get as many dark spots or as many bright spots all over its a better job to have an even light IMHO,

This post is so untrue, from the brand of the bulb to the price of the bulb and to the claim of the dimming led giving more trouble.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

Cost of downlights vary you can get fitting from about €5 with swivel and a dimmable LED philips for about €10-12, cheap LED can be got for around 5-7 euro that would be wholesale price, more cable will be required and junction box for each fitting. Make sure he's not using cheap LED.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Good dimmable GU10 LEDs in Ikea for €6 each (currently only €4.50 each with family card). Just in case you want to get them yourself. There is a topic on them and those who got them are very pleased with them compared to the more expensive osram/Philips ones. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057376247
    As for the quote, seems fair to me (paid €50 per non-dim spotlight but that was a one of fit, not part of).
    Just get GU10 fittings and dimmers fitted and get your own bulbs.

the cheap dimmable Philips lamp have a LM50 factor and a one year guarantee. After one year they have lost 50% of their lumen output.
    I IKEA lamps have no LM factor listed.

Lamps with no posted LM factor often have a low factor and a short guarantee due to high input currents to drive the high lumen output for a short period of time. The initial 6 months are great but the fall off can be gradual but high. But at the prices listed above they represent good value.

all that said the op could be getting a bottom of the range Philips lamp or something similar so I'd certainly not expect to pay so much for an IKEA style lamp.

for 22 euro you'd expect a 5 year guarantee and a LM80 factor.

I don't want to drag this thread into an argument, so if anyone wants to discuss lamps we can take it to the led sticky. However my posts lacked a little detail but they are not "so untrue"

as discussed op buying the lamps yourself is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

any body used these lights before?

poped up on my homepage,

seems like a good deal,

has great reviews,

thoughts??

http://www.ie.screwfix.com/lap-gu10-led-lamp-250lm-4w-pack-of-10.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=facebookadvertising&utm_campaign=LED

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

E4 a pop for those bulbs seems like an excellent price alright!

• Advertisement

evosteo wrote:
    seems like a good deal,

All I'll say is that the is no info on how many times they can be switched,

Or what the LM factor is. 250 lumens seems good alright but what will it be in one or two years?

But it's still a very low price

Advertisement