Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

anybody ever use futureled.ie, just wondering what the quality of the kanlux bulbs are like, the prices are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

eurokev wrote:
    anybody ever use futureled.ie, just wondering what the quality of the kanlux bulbs are like, the prices are very good

Hi I have them in bathrooms and kitchen, they are excellent color, light output and spread. I have them in bout a year now, with heavy usage on three particular bulbs and still going strong. Happy customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

aditya wrote: »
    LED lighting is the future of illumination. It is safe, energy-efficient and highly eco-friendly. Unlike CFLs, LED bulbs do not have any hazardous chemicals and also do not generate any heat.
    Moser Baer, the leading name in technology in India brings its expertise into LED lighting with its range of LED lighting products that cater to both household and industrial settings.

Do not generate any heat???? You're having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭amandstu

lgk wrote: »
    Do not generate any heat???? You're having a laugh.
    How much heat would they generate in comparison to a "normal" bulb of the same illumination ?
    10% ? (I am just guessing)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

amandstu wrote: »
    How much heat would they generate in comparison to a "normal" bulb of the same illumination ?
    10% ? (I am just guessing)

Regular incandescent bulbs can lose up to 95% of their energy as heat, LEDs can lose 85% as heat, but then you're talking significantly less input energy (5W versus 60W say) as LEDs also produce more light in the visible spectrum.

Look at any of the higher power LED bulbs and you'll see they have heat sinks/fins built into the package to transfer heat away from the junction, as increased heat there can have a significant affect on the light output and lifespan of the fitting.

If an LED bulb is not producing heat, you can be 100% sure it's not producing any light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭amandstu

lgk wrote: »
    Regular incandescent bulbs can lose up to 95% of their energy as heat, LEDs can lose 85% as heat, but then you're talking significantly less input energy (5W versus 60W say) as LEDs also produce more light in the visible spectrum.

Look at any of the higher power LED bulbs and you'll see they have heat sinks/fins built into the package to transfer heat away from the junction, as increased heat there can have a significant affect on the light output and lifespan of the fitting.

If an LED bulb is not producing heat, you can be 100% sure it's not producing any light.

lal (live and learn):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

LEDs produce a lot of heat. Why do you think they have huge cooling fins on them? You want to have a look at some of the 4x4 LED lights and the array of cooling fins on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

aditya wrote: »
    LED lighting is the future of illumination. It is safe, energy-efficient and highly eco-friendly. Unlike CFLs, LED bulbs do not have any hazardous chemicals and also do not generate any heat.
    <Mod Snip: Company name removed>, the leading name in technology in India brings its expertise into LED lighting with its range of LED lighting products that cater to both household and industrial settings.

Joined to post that misinformation, let me guess, you sell LED lighting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Sorry for the thread hijack... I'm pretty sure I know the answer/sentiment..

Just using here as a sounding board...

New build house, last phase of an estate. House is at first fix stage, plumbing done, electrical to kick off. We're looking to get dimmable LED (Standard voltage) downlighters installed in various rooms. Between 20 and 30 downlighters total throughout the house.

The electrician is coming back with a price that is averaging in the €90 per downlighter range. Note: It's a passive A rated house a number of these downlighter fittings need to be airtight but I understand that's done with a "tophat" which costs circa €7/€8 per light.

Thoughts... I have my own but just interested to get other views.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

I have just today replaced the last three gu10 down lighters with led bulbs. Only have in total 8 down lighters in the house and if I was starting to build again I wouldn't put one in ! I would redesign and put way more effort thought into the lighting scheme. A beautiful room during day can be ruined at night by bad lighting. IMO down lighters do nothing to set a mood for a room. If you are going to spend that much on one down lighter why not spend that budget on nice wall ceiling or table lamps? Only a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

evosteo wrote:
    will update if anything happens

Good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭db

evosteo wrote: »

There is a voucher to get 4 for the price of 3 so 160 bulbs for £140.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Anyone know about the wiring of an led driver, on checking the lights fittings to see if earth cable is connected I noticed that the driver is wired the wrong way, the brown and blue wires are reversed, so do I connect brown to blue at the main power cable or just leave as is.

And will it do the led driver any harm if I leave as it is, as if I didn't see it.

Out of a batch of ten of 10w outdoor led lamps four are wired wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

hatchman wrote: »
    I have just today replaced the last three gu10 down lighters with led bulbs. Only have in total 8 down lighters in the house and if I was starting to build again I wouldn't put one in ! I would redesign and put way more effort thought into the lighting scheme. A beautiful room during day can be ruined at night by bad lighting. IMO down lighters do nothing to set a mood for a room. If you are going to spend that much on one down lighter why not spend that budget on nice wall ceiling or table lamps? Only a thought.

Thx hatchman, appreciate the feedback... we negotiated and arrived at a better number... stiller higher than I'd like but a little closer to reality. In our case we'll have a combination of pendent & downlighters with both in dimmers. For living room etc. we'll probably also have a lamp or two so just use whatever depending on the mood/people over/movie etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭dball

i bought a lamp for my daughters bedroom - its one of the weirdest plugs Ive ever seen before but i guess thats IKea shopping for EU.
    Heres is the plug
    s6-7BeYfpXX_JZiRNXQw-6D5D2V3xF8ZxV-BsaIwxIOxpzPWKsfRJuIDaYDVQm_NEnfrYE7zkXnMUfaJanEkq_H4Mw=s480

here is its connection:
    2h3m-oUTgl8I-GQdUZq5GnGc72WQVeZBFU4xWwI3VA4EfkyqKaC_RLtuQDXUzcJJcky5XhAUjlNqJ-uMnoZrewF6=s480

Its making a noise - like a humming or crackling - i wouldn't call it static as its too loud but thats what I'd like to know - what the hell is the noise,
    The bulb is a Philips 20Watt halogen - is the halogen the problem or is it something else.

If anyone can offer some advise Id appreciate it.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

With a connection like that it looks like a combination power adapter/transformer. It prob the transformer buzzin. No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Bought some auraglow dimmable led bulbs below on Amazon. Very impressed this far. Very bright on highest setting and can be dimmed through a good range of brightness.

Pricey though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AURAGLOW-Bayonet-Light-White-Equivalent/dp/B00I0ARK1O

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

dball wrote: »
    i bought a lamp for my daughters bedroom - its one of the weirdest plugs Ive ever seen before but i guess thats IKea shopping for EU............

Apple used to have connectors kinda like that

57c456fa752c550a5b97343774b11192.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

hmm i hope you dont try and plug in a phono lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Help needed please.

We've previously kitted out out house with the highest lumen, known brand, GU10 spots we could find at the time.
    These were the Philips GU10 Master 8W, 2700K 40deg, 430 lumen (about €25 a bulb).
    I put in a couple of these in my brother's kitchen a year ago. I now need 4 more to finish his kitchen but Eurosales say they're obsolete.
    I'm not going to pay £35 a bulb on Amazon.
    But I can't seem to find any high wattage/lumen GU10 Philips bulbs.

Does anyone have any recommendations? They don't have to be dimmable. I'd like to keep high lumens, with a 40 deg spread to match what is there already. They don't have to be Philips, but since I don't expect them to be cheap, I would prefer a reputable brand. Tx.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think the highest lumen output from reasonably priced Philips lamps 5W 350 lumens for a Philips core led.

Did those Philips lamps at 25 euro not have a 5 or 10 year guarantee? The shipsbyou bought it in should replace it with like for like or equivalent for free

Stoner wrote: »
    I think the highest lumen output from reasonably priced Philips lamps 5W 350 lumens for a Philips core led.

Did those Philips lamps at 25 euro not have a 5 or 10 year guarantee? The shipsbyou bought it in should replace it with like for like or equivalent for free

The Master LEDs are all still ok. Of the 15 I bought all 15 are still going well 2 years later.

In my brother's kitchen there were 6 halogen spots.
    I replaced 2 of them a year ago when the bulb/trafo blew, but we left the remaining 4 until he had the spare cash to replace them.
    So it's the 4 old halogens I'd like to swap out.

Are the 6W Megaman's worth considering? I'd trade a few degrees of spread for a few more lumen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Woodies are currently doing 3 for 2 on all bulbs... although my local one is pretty cleared out!

They have Luceco LED GU10 bulbs, pack of 2 5W dimmable for €16.
    (They're like these on amazon)

Has anyone ever used this brand before? Just wondering, because I've done a forum search and can't find them mentioned and it's not a brand I'm familiar with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I'm looking to make up some lighting cubes oyt of IBC's like in the Video. Any Ideas of the best way to go about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMhzEzJYcm8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Anyone know of any deals on GU10 Im guessing 5w and upwards and dimmable ?
    I would need approx. 25 of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Hi, One of my T4 bulbs has blown in my under cabinet lighting and I am looking to change to an LED type bulb. What is the best option? I know T4's don't come in LED and they have different lengths depending on makers. Would changing to T5 fittings be worth it? Is there other options? I have 4 bulbs all wired back to a single switch if that makes a difference. 2 bulbs are 16w and 2 are 30w. All bulbs are robus. Any info would be great. Thanks.

aido76 wrote: »
    Hi, One of my T4 bulbs has blown in my under cabinet lighting and I am looking to change to an LED type bulb. What is the best option? I know T4's don't come in LED and they have different lengths depending on makers. Would changing to T5 fittings be worth it? Is there other options? I have 4 bulbs all wired back to a single switch if that makes a difference. 2 bulbs are 16w and 2 are 30w. All bulbs are robus. Any info would be great. Thanks.

I replaced our T4s with LED Strip (5050 SMDs although I probably only needed the 3528s)

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any deals on GU10 Im guessing 5w and upwards and dimmable ?
    I would need approx. 25 of them..

I got these from Lightrabbit. They are bright. I got the cool white ones. I think the COB LEDs are better than the SMD's for brightness and they are dimmable. There are promo codes available for Lightrabbit so might not be too expensive when buying a large amount.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    I replaced our T4s with LED Strip (5050 SMDs although I probably only needed the 3528s)

Something like this?
    How many LED's where needed for each bulb you replaced? Would 500mm of this LED strip replace a 500mm florescent tube for brightness or would you require a longer strip?

Advertisement